“Most relaxed in a very long time....”
Review of Dive Urge

Dive Urge
Ranked #1 of 28 Dahab B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 February 2010

The plane was full of holiday makers talking about their multi-star all inclusive free booze holiday to come. Scary! We were met at the airport and quickly ushered away from the chavs to the peaceful village of Dahab.

Some reviews mention the location in a negative way. All I will say is that Dahab is a real community not much different from any other N. African or Middle Eastern community. If sterility is what you are looking for, then go somewhere else and leave Dahab for me to enjoy!

Dive Urge is a wonderful place to stay. I spend far too much time in hotels for business. Going to Dive Urge is more like visiting relatives with more privacy. They treat you like an extended family.

Rooms - no TV, excellent! I hate those things anyway. The bed was very comfy and still felt good after my 10 to 12 hour lay ins. The closeness to the water is great. The sound of the surf is lovely.

Food - the house special pancakes with a mixed fruit lassy are an excellent way to start the day, especially eating on the beach.

Service - excellent. Anytime I needed anything, the staff took care of it immediately.

Diving - Ahmed was our dive master. He is very knowledgeable and thorough and SAFE. Most excellent diving experience.

Dive shop - had an o-ring failure on my personal regulator that they fixed immediately for me.

Overall, this is a wonderful place. I hate large chain multi star places anyway, I much prefer a smaller friendly place. If you are honest about wanting accommodation that is relaxing and excellent value, then go here. If you want to tell your friends about how many stars the resort had, go somewhere else with the drunk tourists.

T & K

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 December 2009

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. From initial contact, to booking, there was an indescribable feeling that I could not have made a better choice. I was right.

The first email from Jane (office manager) definitely had an impact as it offered all the information I needed about the location and diving as well as answering all of my questions. All I had to do was book my flights.

On arrival you might be expecting something a little more luxurious. After dropping off my bags and venturing outside my chalet, I become conscious of the fact that there is everything I need and so much more. You find that you only spend time in your room to sleep (firm comfortable beds) and to shower after returning from dives. Aside from that, you never really spend much time in your room, which btw is clean, with ensuite and has air-con if you need it. I think the owners have figured this out as much more attention is paid to the outside spaces, from the hammocks, and landscaped area just outside your room, to the beach, with the sun loungers, or the Bedouin area around the fire.

The diving is unreal. I got lucky and got all of my learning was one on one with Ahmed. The man has quite a dry sense of humour and immediately makes you feel comfortable about doing the most unnatural things, like breathing underwater. In terms of locations, you have the lighthouse, where most of the “confined” water dives are carried out. During my open water and my advanced open water I also got to experience the canyon, eel garden, and moray gardens. If you want to learn to dive, there is no better place.

Food; I had most of my meals at food urge. It’s cheap, good-quality and fresh... Buy a bottle of wine or some beer from one of the local shops and have a quiet night just talking to other guests. Alternatively, 10 mins walk and you find a multitude of bars and restaurants to suit every taste. I particularly liked the Blue House Thai restaurant or Rush for a quick drink and random open mic sessions. But going back to dive-urge for a moment, remember to ask for a takeaway wrap for the flight home. The number of jealous faces you will see ;)

Overall, the other reviews seem to have captured much of my sentiments and all I can add is that I will return very soon. What higher praise is there?

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2009

This was our second visit to Dive Urge and if anything, it was even better than before. The restaurant is an excellent addition for those evenings when you don't want to walk into the bustling town area and the food is superb. Diving instructors are the best you can find and the dive sites likewise. Can't recommend this welcoming resort and accommodation highly enough and still it stays very personal and friendly.

Reviewed 19 November 2009

You absolutely MUST NOT go to Dive Urge. It has the most fantastic combination of staff, surroundings and atmosphere and we want to keep it all to ourselves.

We were pampered by the pancackes, beguiled by the bedouin lounging area, calmed by the cool bedrooms, and seduced by the smiling staff. What clinched it for us was how enthusiastically the freelance instructors spoke about working for Dive Urge. 9 out of 10 said they really did prefer it to working for anyone else! And the other one said they really, really preferred it.

And we could see why. The whole diving package is excellent. Good kit, small groups, timely transport, no rush - and nothing is too much trouble.

A great company with a great ethos and a very high quality service.

And yes, Dahab is not the most salubrious of places compared with other places around the globe, if you want to judge a place by litter on the street, or the occasional niff in the air. But that's neither Dive Urge's problem or responsibility. In fact, what they do manage to do, is to provide a fantastic oasis. If you are a traveller who likes to bring all your Western values with you, and you like a sanitised experience wherever you go, then Dahab is not for you. But if you like real people, with real smiles, and yes, real smells, then look no further!

P.S. Can I apologize again for having to pull apart that cane chair in order to rescue the stray goat who got herself completely tangled in the chair's undercarriage....? Just one of those Dahab things.

Reviewed 26 October 2009

We stayed with Dive Urge over the first week of October and had a great time. We stayed in the downstairs family suite and were booked to do our Advanced Open Water plus a number of guided dives.

The accomodation was spacious, clean and comfortable although we hadn't expected a public path between us and the beach. However, Food Urge was across this path with sunloungers at the waterfront. As advised by Dive Urge, they are at the quiet end of town but as that was what we wanted, it didn't disappoint. The walk along to town was pleasant and interesting with local sights and sounds and taxis were easy to come by on the road at the back.

Service was faultless, nothing too much trouble and we were made to feel very welcome with Mahmoud running the show. The food was good, huge portions and the vanilla milkshake is well worth a mention.

We had Victoria as our instructor for the AOW course and she was friendly, approachable and quickly put us at our ease. Equipment was good, some items being new and the dive support staff were fantastic. Ahmed was our guide for the boat dive and he was relaxed, friendly and knowledgeable. That man can find octopus!

We had great time getting to know Mahmoud and his extended family and learning about their culture and swapping stories. Already looking forward to our next stay.

1  Thank Watscot
Reviewed 22 October 2009

I can only agree with the majority of people who have posted reviews here, that Dive Urge have a great set up, and, I look forward to going again. However, it may be worth, if it has not been done already, putting forward, in a little more detail, the location of the dive centre and what you might expect.

Dive Urge is located a couple of kilometres north of the centre of Dahab, about a ten minute walk along the sea front promenade. This is where a lot of locals live. The road running behind the centre is indeed strewn with litter, but then so are most back streets in Dahab. It has goats and the occasional camel wandering about, and to be honest is not the most picturesque side of town.

Nevertheless, that the real Egypt for you. The chances of getting accosted or mugged are nil. Most people will acknowledge a nod or a friendly wave as you pass then.

The accomodation is basic, but clean. The rooms don`t have TV`s or hair dryers. They are ensuite and have aircon. The restaurant serves a good standard of food. If you want an alcolholic drink, there is a shop about two minutes walk away.

The staff are friendly and very helpful. It helps to interact with them and learn their names and a bit of basic Arabic such as hello, good day and please and thank you.

If you can`t do without TV, a swimming pool, putting your towel on the sun lounger at 5 am, little bottles of shampoo and conditioner placed in your room every day, or uniformed staff then this is certainly not the place for you.

If you want to see (and smell) a bit of genuine Egypt and are prepared but put up with the odd inconvinience - and love diving, then it`s the perfect holiday.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MrFalco
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We booked into Dive Urge following a recommendation and the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. We cannot comment on the quality of the 'Dive Urge' experience as we were not there long enough to find out; we checked out shortly after arriving and were able to find something more appropriate ten minutes walk south of Dahab centre.

As one of the previous reviewers has said, Dive Urge is a "basic, clean eco friendly holiday experience" and we cannot emphasise the 'basic' element enough. We were on our honeymoon but were by no means interested in - or indeed expecting - a 5-star holiday extravaganza.

Knowing that Dahab has developed as an 'eco-resort', we were looking forward to a laid-back, relaxing few days snorkelling and enjoying the sea views. We had specifically booked a Sea View room so we would have a terrace and an opportunity to enjoy the tranquility of the Red Sea. The pictures on the website portray open-plan rooms, naturally well lit and refreshingly breezy. Although Dive-Urge had sweetly 'upgraded' us to a Sea View Family Suite (without informing us so we couldn't explain why we'd chosen the other room), there was no terrace, and not being
open-plan, no place to 'chill out' privately. The one window into the bedroom is quite high up, with a small gale howling through it, the room was the only one accessible by a flight of steps, and so it felt quite cooped up and locked away. Although there's a view towards the Saudi coast, it's hardly an awe-inspiring vista, being much like Egypt's ragged mountainous desert skyline.

Our other concern was with the location of Dive Urge. While we understand that this might be out of their control, it didn't do much to convince us we would be staying somewhere that would leave us with fond memories of the cultural diversity Dahab has to offer. We arrived in the centre of Dahab and proceeded along the sea front northwards, which very rapidly degraded into a dusty, rubbish strewn wind-battered sea front stalked by mangy dogs, overlooked by imposing, unfinished developments occupied by squatters. The sea front was lined by broken street lights and boarded-up shops. In contrast, the rest of Dahab stretches away to the south where the sea-front is a vibrant kaleidoscope of street lights, restaurants, bars, music - and people! Dive Urge felt a long, long way from that.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
LynneDiveUrge, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2009

Thank you for your review and we are surprised that Dahab did not match up to your expectations. It does, however, seem a little harsh to judge Dive Urge based on this as it sounds more like a review of Dahab, not Dive -Urge. Especially as, you said yourself, you checked out a few hours after arriving!

Location wise we do make it clear on our web site where we are in Dahab and that it is a ten minute walk into the main ‘throb’ of Dahab and that in itself is a selling point, as only certain customers want that sort of bright lights and buzzing experience that is the center of town with bars open late and loud music/bands etc. Most of our customers love that you can retreat to a quieter end of town here,where to be honest, you see more of the real culture of Dahab, with Camels and Bedouins passing and even the odd throng of goats too.

We were disappointed to hear you were not happy with a free upgrade to our sea view suite and were keen to provide you with a solution. We take all customer comments seriously and always aim to please. We had offered to move you back to a sea view chalet (which you were originally booked into) the following morning, however you checked out before we had a chance to do this.

It was good that you came back to dive with us and I hope your dive experiences were enjoyable. We strive very hard to constantly monitor and improve on the quality of the holidays we provide and the fact that we have 95 % good reviews on Trip Advisory speaks volumes, but as your main gripe seems to be with Dahab itself, this is out of our hands.