“Second visit- has sadly lost some of it's soul”
Review of Dive Urge

Dive Urge
Ranked #1 of 29 Dahab B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I stayed at Dive Urge same time last year and had the most amazing experience. This year it was different. I felt at first that I was returning home and that was very comfortable, but this feeling soon changed.
I had booked my Advanced Course. My instructor Ahmed was very good, very patient and I felt safe with him. My final dive was to be a night dive. I found out that the dive was cancelled ten minutes before it was due to happen. Ahmed was poorly and no other instructor was brought in to replace him- so no contingency plan- I was singularly unimpressed. Someone else then completed my night dive the following night- and she was brilliant.
Having Yvonne reminded me of the brillaint dive experience I had had the previous year. Her dive brief was full and detailed, her english excellent and she had warmth and humour. After the dive, time was given to the debrief. We sat and identified the fish I had seen. After a subsequent dive she had a coffee with me. These are the touches that really make dive holiday, particulary for a single woman.
The staff are lovely at Dive Urge, and the restaurant food is reliable, however the menu was virtually identical to last year and I ended up frequenting 'Shark' restaurant (near the Lighthouse) and El Dorado (just along the front/ fabulous irish coffee and pasta dishes!).
The staff can't do enough for you at Dive Urge but it just needs an injection of enthusiasm and a revamp of the accomodation (the grouting and the showers need checking and freshening up).
There is nothing at Dive Urge which is not easily solvable, but I am sad to say that there are other dive centres which are cheaper and have more enthusiastic dive staff who are likely to get my custom next time.
I love Dahab and I have a special place in my heart for Dive Urge (thanks Mahmoud for the 'extra special attention' you gave me- not) When I come back I will pop in to say hello and have a meal, but it's time for me to try somewhere else now. Lorrie

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
LynneDiveUrge, Owner at Dive Urge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2010

Thank you for your review, we especially loved your praise of Ahmed and Yvonne, our 2 permanent Instructors here at Dive Urge, who go beyond the call of duty to provide a fulfilling and above all safe dive experience.
With diving it is very important to feel well enough to dive both for our customers and our dive staff, thus when Ahmed came back from his second dive of the day with ear problems we were cautious and called the dive off. We swiftly organized Yvonne for the next evening and an enjoyable and safe dive was had by all.
We have an 80% return rate here at Dive Urge and always try to improve on each visit for our guests; with new experiences and enhancements to the resort. In fact the menu was different to last Christmas when you came last time and we had also made other changes from large ones such as two new sea view suites, New Bedouin Area on Beach, New Family suite to small ones such as drying racks for your wet swimmies for each room.
However we take all our reviews very seriously and we always strive to make return visits even more enjoyable than before. However as you have chosen to stay somewhere else on your return to Dahab, we can only wish you a great holiday and look forward to seeing you for a cuppa when upon your return to Dahab.

Reviewed 2 April 2010

My husband and I went to Dive Urge for 10 days and did our open water PADI and then some guided dives - our instructor Ahmed was excellent - very patient and calm which was great for me as I was quite nervous. It was just the two of us with Ahmed and Dive urge has a maximum of 4 people to an instructor which is far better than many other places. It is brilliantly located - opposite Eel garden for great diving and snorkelling and just a short walk from Dahab. Room was comfortable, food was excellent. We booked direct with Dive urge and everything was processed very efficiently - it couldn't have been easier! If we return to the Red Sea we would definitely go back to Dive Urge!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We stayed at Dive-Urge for about 10 days during which we both completed our PADI open water and did a few guided dives, as well as some lovely snorkeling on the "house reef" and did a "mountain dinner" excursion. The place is fantastic. The staff from the office to the dive guides to the "Food-Urge" gang were all amazingly friendly and helpful. The location is also excellent, just far enough from the busy areas, but only a ten minute walk, and the Eel Garden reef starts about 50 metres from your bedroom. You can probably do Dahab cheaper, but for a quiet location, friendly people with no attitude and endless patience for beginners, and great food (we ate 90% of our meals there) you'll be really well served. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Dive Urge is about 10 minute pleasant walk along the sea front path away from the main light house area. As a result its got a really chilled relaxing and very private beach area. This area also seems to be where some of the more quality restaurants are too. If you want to be in the midst of the bars, noise and lights this place probably isn't for you though.

Equally, you can dive much cheaper at some of the places in town but again if you want to be able to turn up and know that your diving is all sorted, safe, in small groups and with amazing guides/instructors (ours had a degree in marine biology so gave us some really interesting info about the underwater environment) then paying the extra for Dive Urge is well worth it.

As others have said Jane, the office manager, is really helpful from first contact to when you leave. If you have any queries about anything I would highly recommend asking her as there did seem to be a few 'misunderstandings' between guests and other members of staff, eg about booking certain things and the orange juice - it says its included in the breakfast but that is only 'bottled' orange juice and unless you specifically ask for 'bottled' specifically they will bring fresh and charge you extra.

Generally the food was good - best salads we ate all holiday.

The rooms are basic with some dodgy electrics but attractive and very comfortable - all you need really as you're going to be spending most of your time outside. Its also a very safe environment both personally and for your belongings. Most people left their rooms open all day and all of the staff were really good with special requirements for kids/older people etc.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We were blessed with the most fantastic weather - beautiful sunshine and very little wind for the first part of the week. My husband was the only diver, and he loved all the dives and enjoyed the cameraderie of the other divers. My son (aged 17) snorkelled and lazed around, or went in to Dahab to explore. My daughter (aged 12) loved the sun and the relaxing feel to the place - she did little more than paddled though she made great friends with Nadia who is the daughter of one of the owners of Dive Urge so that was a great success.
The Dive Urge team are very friendly and warm. The food was delicious - we did venture in to the town and eat there, but the best food tended to be at 'Food Urge' . Our accommodation was changed after a couple of days, but both locations were good, though the second place had the advantage of being right next to the restaurant and the sea.
It was a peaceful place. I was glad we were 10 minutes or so away from the town - just far enough to be quiet, but close enough to be an easy walk.
If you go, do experience the nightime visit to the desert / mountains with Mahmoud and his games and the delicious campfire food.
We will definitely go again, and I would recommend it for divers and non divers alike.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2010

The plane was full of holiday makers talking about their multi-star all inclusive free booze holiday to come. Scary! We were met at the airport and quickly ushered away from the chavs to the peaceful village of Dahab.

Some reviews mention the location in a negative way. All I will say is that Dahab is a real community not much different from any other N. African or Middle Eastern community. If sterility is what you are looking for, then go somewhere else and leave Dahab for me to enjoy!

Dive Urge is a wonderful place to stay. I spend far too much time in hotels for business. Going to Dive Urge is more like visiting relatives with more privacy. They treat you like an extended family.

Rooms - no TV, excellent! I hate those things anyway. The bed was very comfy and still felt good after my 10 to 12 hour lay ins. The closeness to the water is great. The sound of the surf is lovely.

Food - the house special pancakes with a mixed fruit lassy are an excellent way to start the day, especially eating on the beach.

Service - excellent. Anytime I needed anything, the staff took care of it immediately.

Diving - Ahmed was our dive master. He is very knowledgeable and thorough and SAFE. Most excellent diving experience.

Dive shop - had an o-ring failure on my personal regulator that they fixed immediately for me.

Overall, this is a wonderful place. I hate large chain multi star places anyway, I much prefer a smaller friendly place. If you are honest about wanting accommodation that is relaxing and excellent value, then go here. If you want to tell your friends about how many stars the resort had, go somewhere else with the drunk tourists.

T & K

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. From initial contact, to booking, there was an indescribable feeling that I could not have made a better choice. I was right.

The first email from Jane (office manager) definitely had an impact as it offered all the information I needed about the location and diving as well as answering all of my questions. All I had to do was book my flights.

On arrival you might be expecting something a little more luxurious. After dropping off my bags and venturing outside my chalet, I become conscious of the fact that there is everything I need and so much more. You find that you only spend time in your room to sleep (firm comfortable beds) and to shower after returning from dives. Aside from that, you never really spend much time in your room, which btw is clean, with ensuite and has air-con if you need it. I think the owners have figured this out as much more attention is paid to the outside spaces, from the hammocks, and landscaped area just outside your room, to the beach, with the sun loungers, or the Bedouin area around the fire.

The diving is unreal. I got lucky and got all of my learning was one on one with Ahmed. The man has quite a dry sense of humour and immediately makes you feel comfortable about doing the most unnatural things, like breathing underwater. In terms of locations, you have the lighthouse, where most of the “confined” water dives are carried out. During my open water and my advanced open water I also got to experience the canyon, eel garden, and moray gardens. If you want to learn to dive, there is no better place.

Food; I had most of my meals at food urge. It’s cheap, good-quality and fresh... Buy a bottle of wine or some beer from one of the local shops and have a quiet night just talking to other guests. Alternatively, 10 mins walk and you find a multitude of bars and restaurants to suit every taste. I particularly liked the Blue House Thai restaurant or Rush for a quick drink and random open mic sessions. But going back to dive-urge for a moment, remember to ask for a takeaway wrap for the flight home. The number of jealous faces you will see ;)

Overall, the other reviews seem to have captured much of my sentiments and all I can add is that I will return very soon. What higher praise is there?

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo