“Second time for us”
Review of Jaz Dahabeya

Jaz Dahabeya
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We arrived very early after staying 1 night in Sharm. What a blessing it was to get there. This was our second visit to the Dahabeya and the staff on reception recognised us from last year and accommodated us with the rooms we asked for. Even though we didn't stay the first night, they gave us our all inclusive straightaway. We love the hotel and staff, it is in an idyllic setting with a lovely pool area and beautifully maintained garden area. The private sandy beach with clear waters is complete paradise. The food was fantastic with plenty of choice, something for everyone. Chef is always on hand and welcomes any comments from guests. The staff at the Dahabeya are what really make the hotel. They really couldn't do enough for you and always have a smile on their face despite the long hours they work. Ashraf and Ibrahim at the beach bar brought ice cream cocktails over to us every day which was a really lovely touch. Staff are lovely and we have a great laugh with them, Diaa, Wageh, Nazir (restaurant), , Mena, Ibrahim, Ali, Magdea (sorry if I have spelt any names wrong (bars)and Mahmoud (towels) to mention a few. Love the animation staff, Motaz and Willy are great people and although we didn't join in with all the activities, they would always spend time with us on the beach or at the bar. The shows in the evening are good too.
We are definitely going back next year - can't wait. This is a lovely place for anyone wanting a quiet relaxing holiday. You can do as little or as much as you want. The guys selling trips on the beach will always stop and talk to you even if you don't buy anything. The Egyptian people are very friendly and love the Brits because we are polite, say please and thank you, enjoy a joke with them. We went to Masbat one evening on the free minibus and one of the staff from the hotel office Mahmoud Elshami walked around with us and showed us the sights. Everyday he stopped and chatted to us. As I have said before lovely people, this was our 8th trip to Egypt and I would recommend it to anyone. There is no trouble in the Red Sea Resorts that we could see.

Room Tip: Any room is good as it is a small hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WallaseyLinda
IberotelDahabeya, Manager at Jaz Dahabeya, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Thank you for choosing Iberotel Dahabeya to spend your holiday.

My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback. You have provided us with great motivation in our strive to continuously improve the service we offer.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

It's safe to say over the years I have fallen in love with Dahab and this was my second visit to the Dahabeya, which is my favourite hotel in the area.

The hotel is set in beautifully manicured grounds on a perfect stretch of private sandy beach with crystal clear waters - complete paradise.

The food was fantastic but did get slightly repetitive towards the end of our stay (would usually go in to Masbat to mix things up a bit but due to travel advice stayed on the resort). The Italian meal on the beach under the stars was really amazing though and very romantic. The staff at the Dahabeya are what really make the hotel. They really couldn't do enough for you and always have a smile on their face despite working long hours. The guy at the beach bar brought drinks over to us every day which was a really nice touch and the guys at the diving centre kept us entertained with their stories & banter.

Brilliant for water sports and snorkelling - lots of pretty fish & coral - you can literally get lost for hours exploring. Beware not to stalk the crabs too much though - my wife became slightly obsessed and when sat in the sea relaxing the next day, she felt something on her arm only to find a rather large angry looking red and black crab attached to her. Totally amusing for me and the other guests. I have never seen anything larger than hermit crabs in the lagoon so I am guessing it was seeking revenge for the little fellas ... haha!!

The perfect holiday. Complete relaxation in paradise and wouldn't have changed a thing!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suze_Sull
IberotelDahabeya, Manager at Jaz Dahabeya, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Reviewed 6 August 2013

As the title suggests this was our second time at this hotel. Our flight was delayed (thanks Monarch) by some 2.5 hours and on arriving at the hotel we were accused of sleeping at the airport as others had arrived off the same flight an hour before - this was, in fact, a completely different flight from a different UK airport. No welcome drink and no explanation of the layout or general "how to" for the hotel - had we been new to the hotel I would consider this a poor reception. We were shown to our room overlooking the pool to be greeted by warm platters of food, meat, cheese etc and a whole army of ants covering the entire thing - god only knows how long this had been left in a warm room - there is a fridge guys!!!!! I called through and asked for someone to come and take the food and spray - 30 minutes later nothing. I called reception and nothing. I walked to reception to find the original host asleep on the sofa - at which I asked him to move and sort it out as I wasn't prepared to stay in the room. Mein host stirred and showed us to an alternative room overlooking the beach but no offer of a snack was made (ants optional). I noticed that there was a tray with tea and coffee making facilities but no milk - 2 more calls to reception to ask for milk. I had unpacked two cases by the time mein host knocked on our door to clarify what we wanted - after another 30 minutes a soup bowl of milk arrived and I made my solitary cup of tea almost as a protest. Interesting that last year they charged for this facility and no longer do so well done but little individual cartons of milk are required please.

Sunbeds plentiful. Went to get 2 towels, no problem really but rejected 1 as it smelt strongly of old suntan lotion or oil - sorry but I like my towels fresh and washed at 60 or 90 degrees! On the second day the towel guy objected to me rejecting 2 towels as, in my opinion, they were not fresh. He was really rude.

Staff around the hotel recognised us as returning visitors so thank you. Noticeable favourites were Diaa, Kerolos, Nazir, big Hossam, Mena and Mizo.

Guest relations delivered fruit and chocolates and even a bottle of wine by way of an apology I guess after I told Szidona about our welcome (or not) experience and also about Mr Towel Man. Mohamed around the pool was a sweetheart and not to be confused with the other one. Something with a little more imagination would have gone down better, nice but not good enough sorry. I also felt that Szidona pestered throughout the rest of our holiday when I truly wanted to be left alone - I felt that I could seek her out if I wanted to.

We were offered to attend a gourmet evening which was truly lovely but with just 4 guests and no music it felt very lonely. The food on this evening was truly amazing although the portions were large. The food in general was okay but very, very repetitive. If I say rice, steamed vegetables, chicken dish, fried fish, and the same pasta made to order then you will recognise what I mean. Nice but boring! Diaa, bless him noticed that we were eating very little and flagged it to the chef who produced a lovely mexican chilli the following evening. After that it was same old, same old. In all honesty they can clearly do better as the gourmet evening showed.

First choice and Thomson no longer use this hotel but we booked through Flexible Trips. We were exceptionally lucky to meet a lovely Welsh family and two couples but other than that the majority of the guests appeared to be German or Polish. Once the Welsh family left the polo matches changed from being friendly and fun to highly competitive and aggressive.

The hotel has stopped using the other restaurant which was a real shame (the hotel was at 35% occupancy) and I noted that the pool, beach and our room cleaning wasn't as good as last year. Shame.

Internet or wifi access has also changed and its nice to know that each room has 150MB of free wifi per stay - everything was charged last year so this was positive but I do think that it should be per week and not per stay.

The staff are very friendly. I travelled with my 16 year old daughter. There was one occasion where, without me and with a friend she requested a hot chocolate from little Hossam at the lobby bar. My daughter relayed to me that she was made to wait whilst others were served and he constantly used his phone rather than serve her. My daughter's friend had to resort to snatching the phone away to get served. This upset my daughter greatly and upset me. The following day I challenged little Hossam indicating that she should receive the same level of service as me even if I am not with her and as a guest if she requests something then she should get it. He stated that he was joking - I told him that this was unacceptable and that I was upset with him and it was not what I would expect. I do not expect my 16 year old daughter to be playfully pinched and almost fondled by way of a joke - this goes beyond a joke and needs to be stopped. Little Hossam actively ignored us for the rest of our stay and no apology was forthcoming - what a shame.

We kept on our room thanks to a late flight and were told that as returners we were VIP's - there was no charge so that was nice. What a shame we didn't feel like VIP's for all of our stay......

Room Tip: First level rooms are the best....
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
IberotelDahabeya, Manager at Jaz Dahabeya, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Iberotel Dahabeya to spend your holiday, and for taking the time to write to us.

We sincerely apologize that you have had such a disappointing situation at Iberotel Dahabeya, and Please be sure that the whole team at Iberotel Dahabeya is highly committed to providing every guest with a perfect holiday experience and that we relentlessly work on the continuous improvement of the services that we offer.

We truly value and appreciate these negative comments that we consider crucial for our development and improvement. We always use them as means to identify and rectify any errors or mistakes; as we strive to achieve the highest ever level of our future guests’ satisfaction. & Please note that your comments have been passed to our team to assure this unfortunate experience will not occur again.

We look forward to receive you soon at Iberotel Dahabeya and we assure you that we will do our best to meet your expectations during your stay if not exceed them.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Our 2nd time to Dahabeya and it was even better than the first time. Perfect location for a stress free family. Staff can't do enough especially with the kids, entertainment is good but not over the top, no loud bars through the night. Food is good with a good choice, something for everyone. Can't wait to return next year.

1  Thank Akthars

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Of the large hotels in Dahab, the Dahabeya retains a consistently high Tripadvisor rating, which encouraged us to book the hotel again after a four year absence. As on our previous stay, only the food, particularly in the evening, disappointed. Whilst of reasonable quality, meals remains as repetitive and unadventurous as on our previous stay. We elected to eat out on more than half of our 14 nights at the hotel.

On this occasion, we had originally planned to stay for 7 days on B&B basis, but events elsewhere in Egypt prompted us to extend this to two weeks and we uprated to all - inclusive. Despite choosing to eat out on many evenings, we consider that the Dahabeya offers the best value base for a larger hotels in the area and the convenience of all-inclusive drinks cannot be overstated if you intend to spend much of the time at the hotel. None of the drinks in the hotel are cheap (even bottles of water) and costs quickly mount up.

The hotel is on the beach, with an excellent location on what I believe to be the best stretch of sand (with very few stones) of all of the local hotels. the hotel was not full whilst we were there and there was no shortage of beachside loungers and a plentiful supply of clean towels.

The pool and pool area are kept immaculately clean, although the music at our siesta time (from 1.30pm) is too upbeat and loud for my liking. Other public areas are likewise very clean. Our bedrooms were spacious and comfortable, with excellent air conditioning. They were cleaned daily to a very high standard, at times to suit our needs and there is an ample supply of hot water for showers even at peak usage times

The shuttle bus to the centre of the town makes three trips per day and we made regular use of its ten minute journey - it followed its timetable as well as any I have encountered!

Overall, hotel staff were polite, efficient and very friendly - and much less interested in soliciting business or tips than has been our experience in previous visits to the middle east. Check-in and out were quick and efficient and reception services generally friendly.

We shall return to Dahab, hopefully next year, but will choose to stay at a smaller town centre hotel, if only for the convenience of being close to the many excellent waterfront restaurants and other amenities of this bustling tourist resort

1  Thank JohnGP
IberotelDahabeya, Manager at Jaz Dahabeya, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for choosing Iberotel Dahabeya to spend your holiday.

We are sorry to read that you have had such a disappointing experience with the food at the Iberotel Dahabeya. Please note that your comments have been passed to our team to assure this unfortunate experience will not occur again.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We was now the second time in the Hotel Dahabeya and has a hamonic time.
The foot was good and the overall service perfekt.
We was feel very save in the hotel, on the beach and in Dahab.
All staffing are very friendly.
The Hotel is familliar, and not noisy. It is not a party Hotel
That was very important for us.
Good place to relax, fill up your battery.
Perfect location for snorkeling, Diving or Windsufing.
The Hotel Dahabeya have his one sand-beach what is good for smaler Kid´s.

We like that Hotel and it is on our Top List.
Let´s hope that is keep´s his flair.

Dahabeya we will see again ;-)))

Regards Bohl/Dietel from Germany

Review collected in partnership with Jaz Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Bohl-Dietel
IberotelDahabeya, Manager at Jaz Dahabeya, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year (August) for 3 weeks and I can say that it was the best hotel that I had stayed at in Dahab. I have stayed at 4 out of the 5 hotels on the lagoon area. The staff were very helpful and the rooms very clean. The food was wonderful. As I was staying for 3 weeks I thought that I might get fed up with the food and eat in Masbat a few times during my holiday to add a bit of variation. This did not happen. The food was excellent and apart from the grilled prawns (delicious) I didn't eat the same thing for my evening meal for the whole holiday. Yes, you do have to pay for water but the hotel was doing a special offer if you bought 12 bottles at a time, they even delivered it to the room for you. The standard of the food was good with no problems of upset stomachs for the whole period. I even ventured out onto the salad bar which always looks delicious with no ill effects.

The hotel is to be recommended for its customer care, food and hygiene. It was so good that I am going back again this August for 3 more weeks.

Room Tip: If you have children and enjoy the entertainment then a room around the garden area. If you are a c...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley622
IberotelDahabeya, Manager at Jaz Dahabeya, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013