Penguin Village
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$64
Ganet Sinai Hotel(Dahab)(Great Value!)
US$36
Ecotel Dahab Bay View Resort(Dahab)(Great Value!)
US$51
US$43
  • Pool
US$123
US$89
  • Breakfast included
Tropitel Dahab Oasis(Dahab)(Great Value!)
US$31
US$115
Happy Life Village(Dahab)(Great Value!)
US$39
US$48
US$64
US$58
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslow budgetsea viewa bit saltydive centremount sinaihot waterair conditionblue holerooms are cleanenjoyed my stayamazing placefishhosteltripsdivingegyptemad
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 July 2011

The last few times I have gone to Dahab, I have stayed at Penguin Village. I even got my Dive Master certification through them. But after this weekend, I must say that I will not go back.

My New York CIty roommate came to visit me in Egypt, and headed off to Dahab from Cairo alone because I was working as part of my summer internship. I had her check in at Penguin Village. I then went to Dahab to join her, and the manager at Penguin Village would not let us stay together in a room. He said that she was not allowed to have “guests.” When she got upset about it, he changed the storyline, saying that I hadn’t left my passport (which I had with me and would have gladly offered, had it been requested).

To conclude, I ended up having to stay in another hotel. I believe that the issue was that the manager had a problem with persons of the opposite sex sharing a room if they didn’t check in together. So if you must go to Penguin Village under similar circumstances, please consider my experience to avoid grief and embarrassment. I hope this is useful to someone out there.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelisBliss01
Cajmer, Manager at Penguin Village, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Just To say to other travels:
According to our hotel policy , your guest are not allowed to visit you inside your room for a safety reasons , but your guest are welcome to visit you in the lobby or the lounge on the beach .
The person who is telling that we didn't allow him to stay with a friend it's not true because the situation was not like what he say it was like that.
our security man saw a women bring a man to her room lat at night so according to the visit policy it was not allowed , and since i came and explain that to the girl the man just left us very angry . so since she said he is her friend and she knows him i didn't mind to get his passport and register him as more guest in the room he was already left .
So please if you want to bring a guest into your room make sure that you have to pass by the hotel reception to ask for that , just don't bring any one from the street without asking.

Reviewed 25 June 2011

We are returning customers to Penguin after having a great holiday with them in 2010. The sea view rooms with balcony and A/C are basic, clean, and the hot water is always reliable (note: apparently many affordable hotels in Dahab use brackish water in their plumbing; Penguin is no exception). We booked many day trips through Penguin/Dahab Excursions our first time there (Ras Abu Galum/Blue Hole, Petra/Wadi Rum, Colored/White Canyons), all of which which were amazing and reasonably priced. The restaurant, overlooking the water, serves big portions of tasty food, particularly the Egyptian breakfast should not be missed!

This year we returned to Penguin after looking at their dive packages (they currently have a great deal for OW and AOW certifications plus 7 days stay including breakfast for 400 EUR) and were extremely impressed by their dive center, in particular the competent and professional instructors.

We did find that the sundeck of the restaurant had wilted a bit since the previous year, though this might be ascribable to the low season.

Conclusion: Awesome, competent staff at the hotel, restaurant, and dive center; great value for money!

Room Tip: Sea View with A/C and balcony
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lagomorpheus
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Nice hostel in a quiet part of Dahab, but still centrally located. Rooms are small, but that's fine for the price you pay. Room on the ground floor was not so clean (cockroaches in the bathroom), but after one night we were moved to the first floor. Staff is nice, breakfast is good, roof terrace was a bit shabby (last year it looked better). Reef in front of the hostel is very nice for snorkeling and the dive centre is good and cheap as well. We booked an overnight trip to Ain Khudra through the reception and I would definately recommend that.

Room Tip: aircon room @ first floor above dive centre
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank kmleiden
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Its cheap, its a hostel and its by the sea. What more could you want. People complain about the showers, the bedrooms the quality of the hostel, but for the price what do you expect. The shower is a bit salty and the rooms are basic but its a great stay! If you can get a room with a balcony with a view of the sea. There is no reason for you to be spending much time in your room anyway when there is so much to do there! The people who work there are amazing (am facebook friends with them now!) and it is the most chilled out and friendly place I have ever stayed in.
It is by a small high street so you can buy cheap food there (the hostel food is fantastic but a little pricey if staying more than a few days). Will be staying there again for sure.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I went the to Penguin Hotel on the recommendation of another traveler I met in Alexandria. At the time the hotel had a great package for hotel accommodations and PADI scuba lessons, that I couldn't pass up.

Here's some pictures from the dive.

The staff was pretty friendly and knowledgeable of the area and trips to Jordan. There's a cool two level open air restaurant with plush colorful pillows for you to lounge in while you eat with your friends that sits right on the ocean.

Read more about my experience in my book The C.O.M.B.: Journey of a Hip Hopper Turned Globe Trotter. In over 100 photos it details my adventures through four continents and six countries over the course of six months. http://bit.ly/eYrX9C

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo