“Great Value for money!”
Review of Penguin Village

Penguin Village
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We were a little apprehensive about this booking as we had no formal confirmation and a deposit was not asked for, so not the normal booking procedure one would expect. However, once we arrived we now understand that this is how business is done in Dahab, very relaxed!! All was fine though, our taxi driver was at the airport and the booking was all as expected. We had a ground floor double room with a/c which was basic but had everything we needed. The shower is very salty!! Breakfast was great, lots of choice. The diving was amazing, Hamdy our instructor was brilliant. I was a bit nervous about doing this activity as i am not too keen on the sea but Hamdy was very reassuring which relaxed me that there was nothing to worry about.
Many people staying here are travelers and especially groups but on the whole most people were there for diving so people were in bed at a decent hour!
The food in the restaurant was very nice, although if you want cheaper then go to the street. Also Fighting Kangaroo was amazing, typical Egyptian dinner for E£15!!
We had a great time and the staff are fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2010

My experience at Penguin Village was not a nightmare by any means, but with so many other similarly priced options, I would never go there again. First of all, I called them to book a room and was directed to do so online.

Problem #1: the online booking choices did not match the room options shown in the "Hotel Rooms Price List" from the website. So I booked what I thought was the room I wanted and called them to confirm my booking was correct. They told me everything was in order and i would have my first floor sea view room. When I arrived after a 7 hour drive from Cairo, I was told the room was not available and the only room they had was another room that did not resemble anything I wanted to stay in for my relaxing weekend in Dahab. None the less it was nearly midnight and I needed some sleep so I took the room.

Problem #2: The room was drab, dirty, windowless and had a shower stall with no curtain that required you to soak the entire floor to shower. In addition the sheets were dirty as if they had not been changed and the air conditioning barely worked. The towel was also disgusting, and appeared to be unwashed. I was even weary about walking on the floors barefoot, as they looked to not have been swept in a week or so.

The following morning I woke up and asked to be changed to a new room. I was directed to return an hour later a they will know if something is available. Upon returning an hour later, I was given a room that was the type I had booked originally, that apparently was unoccupied the previous night. Although the room was still dirty and had the same shower issues, I asked them to change the sheets and give me a clean towel, as I was willing to be content with the situation.

Problem #3: Approximately 2 hours later, someone from the hotel came to my door and told me I could not have the room because it was for someone else and that he would return with more details. One hour later, another person from the hotel came to my door and directed me to the front desk where I spent the next 20 minutes in an uncomfortable confrontation in which i was blamed for their mistakes. After demanding they either let me keep my room or let me find a new hotel, they finally let me keep my room.

Problem #4: Upon checkout, the uncomfortable confrontations continued. They changed the discount I was promised by the manager (who was not there), because "I changed rooms" and I was told that "In there country they can do what they want". I simply wanted to pay the bill and leave.

The breakfast was sub par at best. The pancake was more like a crepe and the omelet more like a pancake. The internet service is very slow and not available throughout the entire hotel as promised on the website, but there was a decent signal in some areas.

Overall, I would not recommend this place to anyone. There a number of budget options in Dahab, and after this experience, I would rather spend a Euro or 2 more per night to not have to deal with it again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank So_where_is_home
Reviewed 18 May 2010

If you're after cheap and conveniently located rooms, then Penguin Village is your place. I paid about £3 GBP/night for my room. It had a fan and two beds. For about £7 you could get a room with a toilet and air conditioning. I kept it simple and chose the basic "suite".

The terrace bar was awesome as well. Great for afternoon drinks and relaxing after a day's dive. The staff were reasonably helpful, though I did not rate the dive centre as much because they were not overly helpful. I went to Big Blue Dahab instead.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Dazel_London
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed for 4 nights in a simple but okay room. Hygiene was ok, although bathroom was on egyptian standard. Nothing to complain.
Friendly staff, which took care for us very well. In contrast to staff in hotels in other city's, they did not ask stupid prices for trips etc.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rvroomen
Reviewed 4 May 2010

This place is run down, dirty- walls are deeply cracked and filthy. Rooms are grimy and some of the staff unresponsive to requests. I asked for clean towels three times and finAlly got them the next day.
The price at LE 160 for a seaview room was comparable to a hotel close by with baeutiful, new spotless rooms with stunning third floor views of the sea. We left the Penquin Village where they nickle and dime you to death. Example: charge of LE 10 for WiFi service that only works ( and not that well) in the dive shop
Some of the staff were friendly but the guy who sits behind his computer all day long never said hello and basically made you feel as if you were in inconveniencing him by asking for your room key.
The Tap water is salty.
Definitely try some of the other hotels close by. Much better value for your money

1  Thank rollingbackpacker
Reviewed 2 May 2010

10 dives, bed and breakfast for 257 euros is really competitive.
Rooms are basic and ours wasnt cleaned properly when we arrived but cleaned next day with various towel folding displays.

Staff very flexible with timing of dives, and refunded one dive we did not do without being asked.

Restaurant has great roof top for less windy days. Food was all fine.

Only real problem was the toilets in the dive centre were poorly maintained, and there was a sewerage problem at the time. So we just stuck to our rooms bathroom.
Also many hotels this side of Dahab are salt water taps/showers including penguin.

I think if you are on a budget, this place cannot be beaten. The rooms are basic, and lack luxury, however should be expected for price. Several other guests we met were returing customers.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DRMG
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I was assigned this hotel as part of a very small group tour. When we arrived at the bus depot, we were picked up in a pick up truck. I didn't mind, but my companions felt that better transportation should have been arranged. Our rooms were not ready when we arrived. Instead of explaining the situation, that the pipes were busted and would need to be repaired, they just engaged us in conversation. The bus ride was 27 hours and we wanted to rest. After 45 minutes or so, we asked them if our room was ready and they said yes. Our rooms were dirty. We were too tired to argue and so I just slept in my sleeping bag. The room was cleaned the next day and it was a job well done. Also, there was a sewer smell throughout the facility at various times of days.
Front desk staff and breakfast staff were very good. Dinner at hotel was very good.
There are ferrol cats wandering around the place. They will rub on your legs during breakfast and dinner.
The pillows at the outside seating sections look like they haven't been washed since the hotel first opened.
I didn't like their base for snorkeling the blue lagoon. The manager was a bully and tried to force us to order food when we were not hungry. We refused. We just had breakfast. He carried on so badly that we left.
Would I recommend this hotel? Yes. If the room you get is clean. The staff was very nice and the food was quite good. The sewer smell was transient. If you like certain comforts, then I would say look somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2009