“If you like to complain about evrything; this is the right place”
Review of Penguin Village

Penguin Village
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Everything from a to z is a disaster;
Transportation (makes you feel like one of the goat going to the marke
Staff which has no clue of Customer Service . Can not count on them to get wake up call.
Manager: obnoxious and rude
Room ;NO FRESH WATER, difficult to be clean unless you BUY bottled water to rinse, System is not working properly and it is hard to get water in certain rooms.sheets are not clean. air conditioning is very weak.....
No beach in front the hotel...No pool....
To watch for their diving program even tough under Paddi label.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Bernie C

Reviewed 14 August 2010

First off, how this place doesn't get better reviews shocks me.. to actually read soem horror stories makes me wonder did we really stay in the same place?...The staff at the Penguin Village are great. They are attentive, smart and answered every request we had. They organized our diving for us, woke us up every morning like we requested and we cannot thank Mohammed, one of the staff members at Penguin enough. Make sure you befriend him while you are there. He is so much fun and went above and beyond to make sure we had an incredible stay. I cannot say enough about the service. Dahab is a beautiful place to visit. It has lovely chill spots and is not as commercialized as Sharm. The people of Dahab are very helpful both with helping us get around as well as their suggestions about what to do and where to visit. We enjoyed spending time at their rooftop both during the day and at night.. It's in the heart of the strip and is walking distance from the shops. it is quite accessible. The rooms are basic but did just well. I don't think I would get such marvelous service and quality for such low prices anywhere else. Make sure you find your way to this place If your in Dahab,and if your unable to find reservations don't let that stop you from visiting this unique place. Hit up it's rooftop for some drinks, dinner or whatever you'd like. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2010

your hotel is very bad one i don't liked to much .i find more nice hotel outside .dirty breakfast is not good

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We were a little apprehensive about this booking as we had no formal confirmation and a deposit was not asked for, so not the normal booking procedure one would expect. However, once we arrived we now understand that this is how business is done in Dahab, very relaxed!! All was fine though, our taxi driver was at the airport and the booking was all as expected. We had a ground floor double room with a/c which was basic but had everything we needed. The shower is very salty!! Breakfast was great, lots of choice. The diving was amazing, Hamdy our instructor was brilliant. I was a bit nervous about doing this activity as i am not too keen on the sea but Hamdy was very reassuring which relaxed me that there was nothing to worry about.
Many people staying here are travelers and especially groups but on the whole most people were there for diving so people were in bed at a decent hour!
The food in the restaurant was very nice, although if you want cheaper then go to the street. Also Fighting Kangaroo was amazing, typical Egyptian dinner for E£15!!
We had a great time and the staff are fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My experience at Penguin Village was not a nightmare by any means, but with so many other similarly priced options, I would never go there again. First of all, I called them to book a room and was directed to do so online.

Problem #1: the online booking choices did not match the room options shown in the "Hotel Rooms Price List" from the website. So I booked what I thought was the room I wanted and called them to confirm my booking was correct. They told me everything was in order and i would have my first floor sea view room. When I arrived after a 7 hour drive from Cairo, I was told the room was not available and the only room they had was another room that did not resemble anything I wanted to stay in for my relaxing weekend in Dahab. None the less it was nearly midnight and I needed some sleep so I took the room.

Problem #2: The room was drab, dirty, windowless and had a shower stall with no curtain that required you to soak the entire floor to shower. In addition the sheets were dirty as if they had not been changed and the air conditioning barely worked. The towel was also disgusting, and appeared to be unwashed. I was even weary about walking on the floors barefoot, as they looked to not have been swept in a week or so.

The following morning I woke up and asked to be changed to a new room. I was directed to return an hour later a they will know if something is available. Upon returning an hour later, I was given a room that was the type I had booked originally, that apparently was unoccupied the previous night. Although the room was still dirty and had the same shower issues, I asked them to change the sheets and give me a clean towel, as I was willing to be content with the situation.

Problem #3: Approximately 2 hours later, someone from the hotel came to my door and told me I could not have the room because it was for someone else and that he would return with more details. One hour later, another person from the hotel came to my door and directed me to the front desk where I spent the next 20 minutes in an uncomfortable confrontation in which i was blamed for their mistakes. After demanding they either let me keep my room or let me find a new hotel, they finally let me keep my room.

Problem #4: Upon checkout, the uncomfortable confrontations continued. They changed the discount I was promised by the manager (who was not there), because "I changed rooms" and I was told that "In there country they can do what they want". I simply wanted to pay the bill and leave.

The breakfast was sub par at best. The pancake was more like a crepe and the omelet more like a pancake. The internet service is very slow and not available throughout the entire hotel as promised on the website, but there was a decent signal in some areas.

Overall, I would not recommend this place to anyone. There a number of budget options in Dahab, and after this experience, I would rather spend a Euro or 2 more per night to not have to deal with it again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank So_where_is_home
Reviewed 18 May 2010

If you're after cheap and conveniently located rooms, then Penguin Village is your place. I paid about £3 GBP/night for my room. It had a fan and two beds. For about £7 you could get a room with a toilet and air conditioning. I kept it simple and chose the basic "suite".

The terrace bar was awesome as well. Great for afternoon drinks and relaxing after a day's dive. The staff were reasonably helpful, though I did not rate the dive centre as much because they were not overly helpful. I went to Big Blue Dahab instead.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Dazel_London
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed for 4 nights in a simple but okay room. Hygiene was ok, although bathroom was on egyptian standard. Nothing to complain.
Friendly staff, which took care for us very well. In contrast to staff in hotels in other city's, they did not ask stupid prices for trips etc.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple