“Quiet hotel with friendly staff with excellent house reef”

Le Meridien Dahab Resort
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 17 November 2012

This hotel is in a quiet location away from the main complex of hotels along this part of the coast. We stayed at the Hilton in 2008 which was very good then, but the Meridian was definitely quieter, which suited us. The house reef is great. You enter the water by a jetty in order to protect the coral. Where you enter, the coral doesn't look very rich and some people remarked on this. However, if you swim off to the right things improve and there is an abundance of life. My husband saw a 2 metre long eagle ray at a cleaning station on a coral head just a short distance from the beach. The Poseidon dive centre is based at the hotel and they run diving and snorkelling trips by boat from the jetty, or take you by vehicle to some of the sites. The Asian restaurant was very good. We tried the other buffet restaurant once on our arrival which was fine but the main complaint about it was the set price which was about £22 per head excluding drinks. True it was "eat as much as you can" but was not very good value for money if, like us, you wanted a lighter meal. Providing a lighter, less expensive options from the buffet restaurant is one thing that the hotel could really improve upon. Eating in the Asian restaurant every night was a little limiting so we took a taxi to Dahab on several occasions for 30 Egyptian pounds (about £3) each way. There was a reasonable choice available for breakfast in the hotel. Alcoholic drinks, particularly wine, were very expensive, though lager was OK at about £3 per glass. Like most hotels purchasing water was a rip off at £1.60 a bottle, but fortunately they didn't mind you bringing your own into the hotel. If you wanted to eat in the hotel only it might be wise to consider upgrading to all-inclusive. The rooms had comfortable, enormous, super king sized beds. If I had to criticise anything about the rooms it would be the siting of the air conditioning unit at the head of the bed. It took a night or two to get used to the noise, though being November we didn't need it on all the time. Besides the price of the buffet the other gripe, which the hotel couldn't help, was the mosquitos. We have stayed in Egypt twice before, once at this time of year, and have never been bitten before. Bring some repellent - they do sell it in the hotel shop if you forget.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Just returned from a week in this hotel. We had read most of the reviews and as a SPG member we expected good things.

We were not disappointed.
The hotel itself is just beautiful. The design, the rooms, the view, the lighting etc. Really wonderful.

The location - yes it is a bit out of dahab, but to be honest there isnt a huge amount in Dahab anyhow, so this was not an issue. For 3 quid you could get to the centre if you wished. The coral itself it okay- not as good as other places in south sinai perhaps, but none the less, it was good. I must agree with others- people who do not use the jetty etc should be fined. We went diving in the blue hole and people we walking all over the reef!!!???It is a disgrace!!!!There will be nothing left if this continues, and I must point out that our guide mentioned it on multiple occassions NOT TO WALK ON REEF FOR PROTECTION OF FLORA, but people are ignornant!It is a shame.

The rooms are great. Beautiful decoration, nice balcony, great shower in bathroom, partial sea view from nearly all rooms as far as I could tell.

Tea making facilities in the room is a good plus!

The staff: really could not fault them. Very attentive, helpful, professional in all manners. The noted our names and always referred to us by our surname throughout the holiday which i thought was a very nice touch. The reception staff in particular are very helpful.
The recreation staff are also doing a great job. I must admit that the pool are is really spotless. I watched them rotate around each pool every day and literally drain it in full and scrub it. The pools were amazing- one fresh water and one sea water. A real treat!!
The hotel itself it really very very clean and hygiene standards are high. I noticed the staff wearing gloves to pick up rubbish,clean etc. The bathrooms have alcohol gel which is a fantastic idea!!Both my partner and I are medics and we understand the importance of alcohol gel in killing bacteria!This is really a very very good idea and should be implemented in all hotels!!

The food: Excellent breakfast, great selection, always lovely and fresh, food well covered, staff always attentive and coffee arrived speadily, unlike with some hotels. I also found that unlike some hotels where breakfast is a bit of a cattle mart and everyone is running about, children screaming etc, breakfast at this hotel is very chilled.
We normally hate the idea of going full board/eating at hotel, however, this year we would have to disagree. The food was really really excellent. Better than anywhere in Dahab and of a much higher standard and for the same price!!! We did eat in Ali-Baba's in Dahab and also in Shark which seemed to be the busiest. Food was okay. Good price.Nice atmosphere.
We had the buffet dinner and the al al carte menu at the hotel and both were really really nice. If we had the choice again I would have to admit that we would go all inclusive. We NEVER ever wish for that option, but having stayed here, and seeing what is available, I would opt for this!!!!

I would agree that there are not enough sun beds. If the hotel had been at its capacity i am not sure where we would have sat!

Some negatives:
1: the bus that goes to Dahab leave at 20.30 and comes back at 22.00. Not really ideal.Should go more often or at least leave at 19.30 leaving enough time to eat and have a stroll.
2: this is more of a personal disappointment, but my partner had emailed the resort on a number of occasions as it was a special occasion for us and had kindly asked for a nice room or a possibility of an upgrade. On arrival our room was next to the road and it appeared that dispite the number of email sent a assurance that a nice room would be arranged etc, we had not been placed in a room with a good view, nor had we been upgraded. The resort was not that busy and it could have been done. We asked to view a deluxe room with the intention of maybe paying to upgrade etc ( even though we are SPG members) and I must admit, for those of you thinking about upgrading, I am not sure it is worth it. The room itself is pretty much the exact same size and layout. The bath is slightly raised and your balcony is a bit bigger and the biggest plus is that you get an outdoor shower. however, the shower is covered over, and it is at the back of the room. I had visions of showering looking out to the sea, but that is not the case. We stayed with the superior room which was beautiful, and we were more than happy with it.

Bring repellent- lots of wee mosquitos about!!!!!plug in repellent thing was in the room which was good and they also offered nets for children which is great!

We did a trip to Petra ( well worth it!!went with dahab safari tours which was fine; did not job, no hassle and cheapest). We got given a breakfast box from the hotel. WARNING; this tour left at 14.00 and returned at 02.00hrs!!!!! The breakfast box was massive!!!!Lovely selection. Biggest breakfast box I have ever seen!!

This hotel is really ideal for couples wanting some peace and quiet. Not ideal for those seeking excitement. It is quiet and chilled and very relaxing. Good for small children who entertain themselves, but really not very suitable for over 5's I would say. The evening entertainment is some peacful music and most people are in bed by 11!!A stark contrast to the glitzy sharm resorts. If it is neon lights, fake handbags and good deals on scarfs you are after- Dahab is not your place. If you are looking for a mix I would recommend Stella di Mare in Sharm. Stayed there last year- great hotel,good location.

Sails beach hut is great. nice food, lovely location, great for an evening drink as the sun goes down.

All in all, I really enjoyed this stay. High standards and compares with that of any 5 star hotel in the world. I would certainly return, and once the spa opens this will really top things off. My only changes are that I would return on a all inclusive basis and although the Thomson flight was a bit on the cramped side, the transfers made things very easy to get to Dahab and hassle free. We are not normally into the whole package deal thing, but having priced private transfers you save yourself a lot of hassle and money. (as a word of warning, package deals fly from terminal 2. we had previously always gone from T1. T2 was just an experience. It was awful!!!!beyond hectic, people shouting, still drunk, lying on the floors, the price of food/drink should be made illegal and it should be called added duty rather than duty free!!!!So expensive. You are also allowed to smoke, and there is nowhere to sit!!!Hectic!!Such a contrast to a lovely relaxing holiday!)

Wish I was still there......looking forward to returning!!

Room Tip: all rooms have a partial seaview from what we could tell. We viewed the deluxe rooms- really were no...
3  Thank barryire
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Le Meridien in Dahab is a perfect getaway to escape from the winter. It's not recommended for Party People because the hotel is very quiet (soft animation). Little bit of nightlife is in Dahab "Downtown" (Free shuttle 2 times a day). Hotelarea is very wide for few people, many sunbeds...
Food is ok but could be better. Actual I would Not recommend ist for vegan eating people.

Room Tip: Rooms in the first row (de luxe) have an outdoor shower but roomsize is the same as the executice ro...
Reviewed 14 November 2012

My wife took some persuading to go on holiday to Dahab - especially with a 5 hour flight. But after a miserable British summer and after three years without a break I simply had to get away somewhere warm.
We had been told that half board was the way to go because there are some very good restaurants in the town. However, breakfast was so good enough that we did not need lunch. There is just about every option imaginable fruit, cold meats, cheeses, yoghurt, cereals, porridge, salads, eggs cooked to order, breads, toast, pastries, pancakes, muffins, etc etc. We couldn't manage lunch!
We ate in during the first evening (a barbecue) and it was good, if a little expensive. But you get that in hotels across the world. The resturants in Dahab were usually good and inexpensive. Special mention to the Blue House Restaurant and Ali Baba and my wife said their loos were the best by miles. She tends to judge restaurants abroad on hygiene.
The hotel was extremely comfortable throughout. Good sized rooms, very comfortable beds, with big bath, shower and well cleaned. One big plus point was the view was from the pool area. It is quite frankly stunning with Saudi Arabia framed in the distance. The sunbathing area around the pools can be crowded but a quick chat to the Pool Attendants soon made sure we were reserved beds. Down by the sea there is plenty of room and it has its own bar/restaurant. My wife loved it but she is not so mobile now and it meant that it was trek for her. The staff are fantastic and if there is the slightest problem it is dealt with immediately.

1  Thank LittleMiller
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I can see why this hotel would normally get a 4 or 5 stars. We stayed in the hotel just after the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, which also coincided with the English mid term holidays. The hotel was at maximum occupancy and struggled to maintain the service standards I think it normally has. If the hotel was the same as the dive center, a lot of staff may have been on holiday at that time.
We had problems with the time it took to get served at breakfast and how fast items where being replenished. The hotel also didn't have enough sun beds and we where told by one of the reception staff, "yes, there is no free sunbeds left". He got told in no uncertain times to get it sorted and they quickly found a couple from some room terraces. After this we had to start putting towels on sun beds at breakfast (not good). The service at the beach front Sails restaurant could be a slow, just down to lack of staff at the busy lunch time. The toilets didn't seem to get cleaned during the day, so if there is no hand towels in the morning, there will be none all day

Good Stuff
The rooms and public areas are very good
The hotel where pretty quick to try and fix things and offered us breakfast in our room after complaining about the breakfast.
The food is generally very good in the restaurants.
The service in the Vie restaurant and Horizon bar was consistently good

Diving
We dived with the onsite Poseidon Divers. The dive center was very good, with great staff. The local diving was excellent with great vis, and no current and the coral and fish life was very healthy.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

This is an excellent hotel with first class staff, location & facilities. Yes it is expensive however worth the extra that you pay. The location is a little out of Dahab but that is the beauty of the place and what is £3 each way taxi fare into the centre of Dahab (could get the hotel mini bus however very limited on times) when you stay in a stunning location surrounded by, a back drop of mountains to the rear, sea to the front, Dahab to the left, mountains and sea to the right. We were upgraded to a sea view thanks to Sovereign and the hotel (details of the sea view were not clear on booking) and it was just fantastic. The room with low lighting was a lttle dark for us however this is only a personal taste, catered for all our needs, tea & coffee, mini bar, proper hair dryer (not one of these silly one in the bathroom) shower, bath, outside shower to the rear of the room, sun loungers & settee on the very private patio looking out to sea with uninterrupted views in total piece & quiet.

The staff could not do enough for you. One night we had no hot water. Within 20 minutes the problem was solved. The reception staff are outstanding from booking in, to getting a taxi, to sorting out our pick up time from our non-existent rep (not that we ever use this facility). Very professional and showed total respect for their clients at all times. Due to the poor service of our rep re pick up time to the airport on our departure we were given our room for an extra 3 hours at no cost to us. This is outstanding service as the rep is nothing to do with the hotel however we were told that they did not want anything to spoil our holiday.
Breakfast was good with a wide range of food however the evening meal was not as good in my opinion. I personally am not a lover of buffet food, I prefer a menu from which to decide however from my experience this is very rare in Egyptian hotels. Each evening the food was themed, BBQ - only chicken, another it was fish night which again there was BBQ fish along with other choices. When I asked what the fish was I was told fish - yes but what fish - fish - gave up on that.
The beach was clean and well managed by the staff, always a sun beds available even, if like us, you stroll down later in the morning. The Sails bar provided all your needs for time on the beach. The entertainment in the evening was limited and over very quickly. The water sports facilities were excellent. I observed & listened to the instructors with the dives, they oozed confidence which in turn was passed on to their pupils, had I the courage to dive I would not have hesitated to have signed up. Snorkelling is my limit which again was superb with the amount of fish and coral. We hired a canoe for an hour and had an amasing time just gently paddling around the bay looking down at the coral and the fish in total piece and quiet. We had intended to watch an Egyptian night however it started at 8p.m. and was over in forty five minutes - we were still eating our meal. If we had realised we would have eaten later. This is not a criticism of the hotel just bad planning on our behalf.
We went into Dahab two nights and had an authentic Egyptian meal in 'Friends' which was outstanding. It was a Bedouin stew, one night we had lamb and other with chicken. Worth a visit. Yes, as previous reviews have stated, a lot cheaper in Dahab than the hotel but if you are staying in a 5 star hotel what do you expect.
My only negative comments which are not a criticism of the hotel but their guests relates to the beach and breakfast. There are signs stating to enter the sea via the jetty to protect the coral for future visitors however the number of people that ignore this is unbelievable. The poor beach boys try their upmost to stop guests - all to no avail. The guests that we witnessed either argued with them or ignored them and carried on go into the sea stepping on the coral as they were too lazy to walk around to the jetty. I suggested to the reception staff that every room had a notice in. I would also like to suggest that guests get find - put the fine on their bills. My other negative comment is the number of guests that take food out of the restaurant in the mornings for their lunches at the expense of other guests. Forty five minutes before breakfast ended my husband went to get a croissant to be told there are no more available. The reason being we realise as we sat drinking our coffee was the number of guests leaving the room with bags full of food. They even filled up water bottles with orange juice. Have to say the mosquito's were an unwelcome guest in our room. We tried everything to get rid of them, repellent, plug ins however they won the battle. The hotel spray the surround area's - pity they don't do the rooms.
To summarise – No it is not cheap to stay however you get what you pay for in this first class hotel, first class service, in a fantastic location, with professional staff that cater for their guests every needs in a very quiet and relaxed atmosphere.

1  Thank why123456
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I am a regular visitor to Dahab and have stayed in the Meridien three times. It is my absolute favourite in the town.

Situated a few minutes outside of the town (this hotel is not on the boardwalk and not within walking distance from the city centre) this hotel is nicely nestled on a hill overlooking the gulf of Aqaba.

The first thing that strikes is the beautiful entrance and its modern decor. Inside the rooms are beautiful and very well appointed. I very much like the feature of opening the small window in the bathroom above the sink to be able to see the sea..

In terms of facilities the hotel has a complex of pools fresh water and salt water in addition to a nice spa. In addition to the above there is the beach with a lovely bar.

One of the nicest things is having breakfast on the open deck with the sea view, stunning. The breakfast itself is varied and good.

Overall, the hotel has a number of dining places as well as nice lounges with soft music that are really inspiring.

The hotel organises a couple of free shuttle-bus rides to downtown Dahab throughout the day. I found that going at night to the town and dining there is very rewarding there are a number of lovely restaurants in Dahab and are well worth the trip.

As a diver one of the best features is having a dive centre inside the hotel arranging dives onsite as well as dives by boat to nearby dive sites, very convenient having the dive centre there to leave the gear and be very close to your room for those early starts.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are well worth the view and it is nice to have a terrace right onto the pool area, bu...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ramez L
LeMeridien1937, Director of Rooms at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Ramez L

Thank you for posting your feed back following your recent experience @ Le Meridien Dahab resort.

We feel happy and proud to have you as a loyal guest who visited the hotel for three times.

we are so glad to read that you enjoyed your experience and that we keep on our best to provide you with such experience.

we look forward to welcome you back to our Le Meridien Dahab Resort.

yours sincerely