“Meriden - ok but not super”

Le Meridien Dahab Resort
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Large, clean hotel, good sized rooms, more than one pool, a great beach area, good bar service…

The downside - the food is very average, don't be expecting any culinary delights. It's buffet food Egyptian style.

The check in procedure is painful, I almost lost the will to live. They sat us down for almost 40 minutes after flying in, I was ready to die on the spot. They ramble on about the facilities, the shuttle service etc - nothing that requires that long… I made my feelings quite clear…

The sundries shop is very poor unless you want a small pack of Pringles or a very small packet of nuts. They wouldn't accept any Egyptian coins in the shop either - they told us we should use the coins for tips!

It's a haul to Dahab town, if you want peace and quiet this is your place. It's only £3.50 to get into town too…

Good snorkelling at the Meriden beach, well worth a dip…

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
mahmahm3, Director Of Guest Services at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear GaryDiveLondon,
Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review into TripAdvisor, we were happy to know that you had enjoyed your experience with us especially our rooms, pools, beach, snorkeling, and staff attitude and we regret to know that some issues were encountered during the stay and we really thank you for bringing this to our attention and all these comments were communicated to the concerned departments to take the necessary action for further improvement.
Once more thank you very much for this constructive feed back and look forward to welcome you back at Le Meridien Dahab Resort.
Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Dahab Resort

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We visited this hotel 6 years ago and luckily its not changed at all. Quiet and peaceful, wonderful staff and a superb house reef, its just perfect for a quiet week away from all the hustle and bustle of life. Food a little bit bland but we didn't go there for the cuisine.

Highly recommended, they should be very proud of their staff. We will return!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
mahmahm3, Director Of Guest services at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Caroline M,
Thank you very much for your feedback and your nice comments about our hotel, I was delighted to read your motivating words and to learn that you had a memorable experience with us. Be assured that your nice words have already shared with the Team. We do hope that we will be able to welcoming you again and again to Le Meridien Dahab soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

A secluded, quality hotel in a beautiful location rising from the private beach up to the rooms, restaurants and reception lounge. Bedrooms and en-suites are large, well appointed and very clean
The staff brilliant and are ever willing to help. They do all they can to make your stay enjoyable.
Breakfast and lunches are very good, but although it has an a la carte restaurant, that doesn't match the quality of the rest of the hotel. With the addition of an excellent restaurant it would be outstanding.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
mahmahm3, Director Of Guest Services at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Paul2378,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed 8th to 18th March and it was another great stay. We are always spoilt here with great service and a lovely suite. It really does feel like our home from home. If I am brutally honest the hardships of the last couple of years are starting to show in a bit of 'wear & tear' in the rooms and around the resort (the Sails beach bar has less sails each visit) but the amazing thing about this resort that keeps us going back is the fantastic staff.
There are the always helpful reception team. Then Mohammed and his fun recreation team of Amir, Amr, Kamel & Khalil - always good company. Behind the scenes the chefs do a great job. The new bar man Mohammed at Sails has fit right in but our real star this year has to be Kokia. Newly promoted to head barman he seems to really have risen to the challenge whilst still looking after us so well. Thank you Kokia.
With regards to food we are always happier when meals are served at Sea Breeze when the quality and selection, particularly at breakfast, is terrific. Bread & pastries here are superb.It is disappointing when numbers are small and Vie is used for all meals as the selection does become limited and to be honest the evening buffet when in Vie is not really good value so we eat 'a la carte' on those days or go into Dahab using some the the super restaurants there. We regularly used Hazem one the hotel drivers for our trips into town at night and his is always friendly, helpful and most reliable.
These are very difficult times in Eygypt and with everchanging travel restrictions Dahab seems to be suffering greatly. This is really such a shame as this resort and the town are full of good people who want you the have a fantastic holiday and relaxing time. You will find this at Meridien Dahab resort.
PS. We have already planned a return trip in September

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
mahmahm3, Director Of Guest Services at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear merlion02,
Our sincere gratitude for sharing your comment. We are so much delighted that we met your expectations and created a joyful stay for you, especially you are one of our valuable repeated guest, We are looking forward welcoming you the next time which we hope to be in the nearest future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed at Le Meridien Dahab resort for a week in March 2014 and it was one of the best holidays we have ever had. The customer service was exceptional, everybody was so friendly and welcoming. The manager on duty was very attentive and whenever he saw us, he came to check how we are doing and whether we are enjoying the holiday. We had only breakfast included in the package so we were having a lunch and dinner in the Vie restaurant where the food was amazing. We tried Egyptian meals (lentil soup – delicious!) and also international dishes like pizza and pasta. We liked their pizza so much, that we called it “Egyptian pizza”. The resort is very spacious and all facilities are just two steps away, so you can have a lunch on the beach if you like. The hotel has a private beach and you can do snorkelling. We saw amazing fishes and reefs. If you are adventures, you can arrange for a snorkelling trip to Blue Hole or Napoleon. We did the snorkelling there and it was spectacular! The resort is very clean and the rooms are beautifully designed. We honestly had the best time ever. I would recommend this place to everybody and probably we will come back there next year. The hotel is only an hour driving from Sharm El Sheik airport but we are glad we decided to go a bit away from popular and crowded Sharm El Sheik area as Dahab is a lovely and you will never get bored. For the sport fanatics, the resort has a gym and tennis court.

I would like to thank the whole staff at Le Meridien Dahab resort for their incredible hospitality. You made us feel special and we will never forget this holiday.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are very good!
1  Thank Fer256

Dear Fer256,
Thank you very much for your feedback and your nice comments about our hotel, the service delivered to you and the fantastic location and it's unique nature between the mountain and the red sea. customer care is among our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise, I was delighted to read your motivating words and to learn that you had a memorable experience with us. Be assured that your nice words have already shared with our manager on duty and our Team. We do hope that we will be able to welcoming you again and again to Le Meridien Dahab in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My wife and I spent 6 nights here after a hectic trip to Cairo. A welcome break and a lovely room, especially the outdoor shower and gifts we found in our room a few times. Highly recommend this place.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Mahmoud S, The Director Of Guest Services at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Benjamin L,
Thank you very much for your feedback and your nice comments about our hotel, the service delivered to you and the fantastic location and it's unique nature between the mountain and the red sea. customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise, I was delighted to read your motivating words and to learn that you had a memorable experience with us especially is was your honeymoon. Be assured that your nice words have already shared with our Team. We do hope that we will be able to welcoming you again and again to Le Meridien Dahab in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

this is my story with this hotel. i reserved for a 6-night, 7-day stay there in the period between 9th of feb 2014 to 15th offeb 2014. one of my friends (He is not english and later you will know why i say this) told me about a so-called good website to reserve from it called travelrepublic.co.uk (later on i will have another comment on this website but now i need to focus on my situation with this hotel). i booked bus ticket and i arrived on the time. i gave them the voucher sent to me by email and i found that they gave me a second line room on the sea although i can assure that there were only from 7 to 10 rooms reserved in this hotel and it exceeded to be about 20 during my whole stay, No Problem.. within 2 hours, i received a call from manager of front office named Mahmoud Salim telling me the rates that i reseved with is for only English citizens and i have to pay 60 USD more per night (total is 360 USD, i reserved for 585.20 USD so add this to this it would be 945.20 USD)..

So that's it.. 2nd line room on the sea, naked wire (i got an electric shock when i switched on the lamb 1st time then i didn't switch it on till 4th day when it was repaired) most aweful service i ever got from a 5 star hotel and i am even paid almost double what others pay just because i am Egyptian !! i have to mention how this Mahmoud Slim was extremely rude to me.. he asked me to meet at the lobby in 10 minutes.. i went there and he told me about this 60 USD thing and told me that he returned to the website and they said that it's me who should pay it.. (i read the terms of use 3 times and i didn't find at ALL that it is for english citizens but suddenly if became like this when it comes to an Egyptian citizen) i said to him "how is that !!" he said to me "would you like me to cancel your reservation ?" in other words it's like would you like me to throw you, your wife and your 9-month infant in the street !!.. since i had nowhere else to go since he knows that i didn't reserve somewhere else !.. i asked him "and about the money i paid ?" he answered in so rude and cool way "it is not my problem." !!

he forced me to pay.. i paid double and i got less than half the service that others get.. i had no choice than to do that coz of my wife and my 9-month kid.. i got depressed and sick and he ruined my vacation since till now i don't know how to reback this money to the bank next month.. ! That is my situation.. if you would like to stay in this hotel or use any of Starwood Preferred Guest hotels, restaurants, then make sure that your conscience is not telling you that you are supporting a racist organization.. i did that because i know they have a lowyers department.. i won't get any right if i use court.. but i decided not to leave my right and make my voice loud through the world and share my experience of world-citizens !

please if you can help to share this.. you are helping to terminate racism..

please feel free to write or ask any questions concerning this issue..

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Ahmedfarag_2
Mahmoud S, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Ahmedfarag_2,
First of all I would like to thank you for your review.
It is certainly not our intention to differentiate between foreign and local (Egyptian) guests and I apologize for any misunderstanding that might have occurred regarding the rate and I can appreciate that you are upset about the situation.
Regarding the rate, it is a special negotiated rate that should be part of a total travel package in other words should be part of other costs related to airline tickets etc. hence it is available to foreign guests only and this one specifically targeting the British market.
please do not hesitate to contact us at the hotel should you decide to do so and we will do our best to ensure that you will receive a truly memorable stay at Le Meridien Dahab.
Kind Regards