“Wind Swept Wonders of Le Meridien-Dahab”

Le Meridien Dahab Resort
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
London
“Wind Swept Wonders of Le Meridien-Dahab”
Reviewed 8 April 2009

I stayed in this hotel in the last week of March. On arrival we were greeted by friendly hotel staff, a hot towel and a small glass of guava juice which was a nice touch. Initially a twin room was booked and I requested that if possible could we have dbl room which was granted, however this was at the back of hotel and had restricted views of the beach and sea. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast consisted of a large variety of delicious food and also chef to cook your eggs to perfection! Tea and coffee was ordered from the waiter.
Everything about this hotel was lovely apart from the Sunloungers which were a nightmare to obtain. It seemed that many of the residents "reserved" them the night before or got up very early to secure their place around the pool, which was quite annoying. In one instance I decided to remove the offending magazine off the bed and was confronted rather rudely by another guest and was told that it was her pod! which I found very alarming. I do think Le Meridien should have a policy in place whereby guests are not allowed to do this. Also the Sea Breeze restaurant was quite expensive for evening meals and quality ok.
Overall the experience was good and we both enjoyed Scuba trips via the Posiden Scuba company at Le Merdien who were very professional, trips to St Catherine's Monastry which is worthwhile and also evenings out in Dahab. The only issue was the taxi fee varied. It's best that you agree on a price before you get there and I recommend that Le Meridien have an evening shuttle service to the town as they only have one at 11am.

2 Thank BinaB123
LeMeridien1937, Management Team at Le Meridien Dahab Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2009
Dear Katinka11London,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on trip advisor following your recent stay in Le Meridien Dahab Resort.

In regards to your comments of the shuttle service into town, I would like to inform you that, following the feedback we have received from guests like yourself we have already implemented additional services into the village of Dahab.

As for the sun loungers we appreciate your feedback and we are currently reviewing how we can better manage this situation so guests are not exposed to what you experienced.

Once again many thanks for your valuable feed back and I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien Dahab Resort in the near future.

Sincerely

Management team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Croydon
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Just arrived home from a week at the Meridien Dahab Resort. I went with my partner and had a fab time. Our room was excellent very clean, modern and nicely designed. The layout was well thought out and the shower in our small private garden was a nice touch. The weather was really good if a little windy for a few days but nothing to off putting and the breeze was often a welcome break from the heat. The staff were all really excellent and nothing was too much trouble. The half board food was pretty good with a theme every day and there was entertainment thrown in on a couple of nights. I didnt realise what a fab belly dancer I was until I had a go! and this guy who spent fifteen minutes spinning round and round was just amazing but I guess you needed to be there. The A La Carte restauraunt had an Eastern theme and this was also pretty good. The guys in the bar Mohamad and his boss Emed (I hope I spelt these right) were really excellent and really enjoyed experimenting with our strange cocktail requests ( the Chilli Mojito was top notch). The snorkelling was simply amazing. With a reef running parellel with the hotel beach you were swimming with hundreds of fish within a minute of entering the water. We also went out twice on a speed boat which was great fun and once again what was under the water was simply fantastic. We got a taxi from Sharm airport which was $90 there and back but well worth it. Dahab itself was okay but if only the local restauraunts and shop owners would let you browse without jumping on you if would have been far more pleasurable. We ate at the Ali Barber restauraunt which was very good but they definately rip you off on the prices we talked to the hotel staff and they said what we paid over £400 Egyptian pounds for they would have paid around £100!!! Barter over everything and walk away if you dont get the price. We bartered but no way hard enough. The hotel was imaculately clean but I still managed to get a minor tummy upset. I am at home now and even though I have taken some drugs only available in Egypt to counter the Sharn Shuffle I am still suffering today after arriving back last night! I think I should mention that I whopped those volley ball beach boys twice!!! Bad luck guys keep practising! Re the diver centre at the hotel, well to be honest we think they could have done better. All a bit disorganised and to be dropped off half a mile off shore to snorkel without some pre check questions like "have you ever snorkelled before" was kinda poor. Also an under water guide would have been good to take you to the best places to begin with. So just to recap hotel 9/10, staff 10/10, food 7/10, entertainment 7/10, bar 10/10, weather 8/10, transfer 8/10, beach 6/10 (to stoney), water sports 10/10, dive centre 5/10....all n all a very good hotel that we would recommend to anybody. It sounds like the hotel runs at below 70% capacity even at peak times so there are always enough sunbeds to go round even when the Russians are in town. Why not book a holiday before it gets really hot you wont regret it. Oh and if you go please take a bottle of Jo Malone for Emed!! One final thing drinks are crazy prices so it makes sense to buy a box of wine in duty free on your way out.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilWCroydon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Stayed here for five nights in March 2009. I agree with a lot of the recent reports; the resort is a really nice, classy place. The room we had was sea view with a little verandah out front and back. The back verandah had an outdoor shower; does anyone ever use them though? The room was very comfortable but we had problems with the hot water running out on two occasions. Laundry service and housekeeping excellent.
Food wise, breakfast was really good. Buffet style with freshly squeezed OJ, eggs/pancakes cooked to order etc. We tried the evening buffet one evening and didn't rate it at all; pretty poor. The other a la carte asian restaurant, Vie was much better. We got a cab into Dahab on other evenings and tried the restaurants on the "boardwalk". Would recommend this at least a few times.
The hotel is quite a way into Dahab and remote from the action there. Some may find this a chore, others just what they want. The hotel is dead after 9pm; even the bar.
There is a nice restaurant on the beach but they really need to improve the food offering. There is no kitchen and the food is delivered from the hotel. Often cold when it reached you. Nice drinks though. No food after 3.30pm. Only way of getting food until six is by room service.
Nice pools, heated but there is a really major problem with getting a sunbed. There is only a few of the padded comfortable genre which are not in the shade and these were reserved with a hat, a frizbee, a little book, whatever by 08.00. Same on the beach. The beach can be very windy and there are some really comfortable "pods" which whield you from the wind. All the time I was there, many of these were unused all day. The hotel employ bach/pool ample staff who should be managing these facilities by removing items after say an hour of non-use. I did ask twice though and both times they removed items for me. Of course this resulted in a nice tip from me; that's the way it is there. I shouldn't have to ask though.
It's a really nice place though for some chillin' time.

1 Thank Feliciafeliz
london
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I've just stayed at this hotel as a lone traveller - having made a trip via Cairo. I like to take two things into account when reviewing a hotel - are we talking 5 star Paris, or 5 star Egypt - there WILL be a difference! For Egypt, this hotel will NOT disappoint and regards value for money (the other thing to remember here is you're paying $160 USD per night, not $600), thus I think the hotel is superb.

As for a previous review about dishonest staff - I had EXACTLY the opposite experience. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left the staff were impeccable - and professional too - some might say even quite on tiptoe by Egypt standards but that suited me for privacy.

The location is at the end of a track just out of Dahab - fine. Most people go to the Red Sea for the weather and swimming and might pop into 'town' by taxi a couple of times - and if this is your kind of thing, then the location will be perfect. It's a very calm quiet hotel - no evening entertainment (if you want this, don't moan - go to Butlins instead)! The food was very good and I didn't have any upset tum for the duration. The presentation of the buffet was excellent and care had been taken over choosing good quailty foods. Certainly not the 'scrum for dinner' scenario! It was quiet and refined - it would have been nice to have some Arabic music playing (not live) - just in the background.

The pools are fine - the salt water one was kind of shallow but the other one normal. The walk down the steps to the beach wasn't terrible (trust me I went on to a 'five star' hotel in Sharm and you needed a map to get to the beach)! ie. from the hotel, you see the sea - no silly walks via endless pathways, lagoons and buildings to get there. All in all it's a very easy well laid out hotel - you will find yourself settled in and sunbathing within an hour.

Just to say re. the Red Sea, that I've stayed at the Four Seasons Sharm, the Oberoi Hurghada, Ritz Carlton Sharm and others not even worth mentioning! Of course you won't beat the Four Seasons but I found myself sunbathing in pain and stress of what it had cost me!!!! This hotel can give you rest, cleanliness, five star staff, superb food, good swimming, no nasty suprises - all for 1/5th of the price! It IS better than the others mentioned too - if that gives you the idea of standard.

If I had to find fault at all, I would say - 1. put a handheld shower attachment in the shower cubicle as well as the current rain shower - it's a girl thing! 2. Get Management out and about onsite smiling and looking at the really fine details - if this was done, this hotel really would come alive. Basically 'wakey wakey boss' (!), you have a great hotel, get out there and make it an exceptional hotel.

One thing I would add is that it IS definitely the ONLY choice for Dahab if you like quailty - don't even bother considering the others if you value quiet time and good food.

Finally, good points you might want to hear - Laundry Service was excellent and the right price, bed was comfortable, TV was flatscreen and lots of channels, breakfast was a comprehensive buffet, dress code was casual but not scruffy, check-in was calm, check out had no nasty bill suprises - all very honest. In fact, that was the one REALLY refreshing thing about this hotel - it's kind and honest staff - especially Front Desk. Thank You.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank londonperson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Le Meridien is an absolute stunner looks-wise. The rooms are beautiful and the four swimming pools are gorgeous. But despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews on here, it certainly won't be to everyone's taste.
The location isn't great if you want to visit Assalah - bank on a 90-minute walk, and don't even think about trying it after dark. Taxis are cheap and easy to find for the return journey, but a hotel located so far from the main drag really should try to provide more than one coach into town per day (which runs, incidentally, at 11 in the morning).
The other big drawback is the night-time facilities at the hotel itself - we certainly weren't expecting Ibiza-style bars, but nor were we expecting it to be quite so deathly quiet at night. The low occupancy rate didn't help, but the funereal atmosphere in Horizons cocktail bar and the restaurants sent us back to our balcony much earlier than we anticipated.
As a final gripe, in the week we were there it was exceptionally windy which, judging by the array of windbreaks, isn't unusual. The hotel has an excellent selection of sunbeds, loungers and pods - the latter are designed specifically to protect you from the wind. The first day we were there we were surprised to find they were all reserved from early in the morning - although we later learned that tipping the staff magically unreserved them. Again, not the end of the world but a hassle you could do without in a top-end hotel.
All told, a lovely hotel - but we would stay nearer the centre next time. Both the Hilton and Swiss Inn were closer to town and appeared to have more facilities.

1 Thank BrightonBernie
manchester
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Slightly away from all the other hotels but well worth staying there. The newest hotel in the area and quality is obvious as soon as you arrive.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were extremely polite, friendly and helpful. Rooms were beautifully furnished. Good swimming, diving and other water sports from within the hotel complex.
Very quite and tranquil location - 5min taxi ride into the centre of Dahab where food and wine is considerably cheaper than at the hotel - the only 'downside' of our stay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed 27 March 2009

We knew the hotel was going to be good as soon as we walked into reception, hot towel and drink whilst the rep sorted out the accommodation. I have to say near Oberio standards? Nice room, ticked all the boxes, good food. The main courses were served, they even served some of the breakfasts. Very clean with attentive staff and lovely gardens. The hotel was pretty empty so I guess their challenge is to keep the same standards when full?

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family