“An excellent holiday in dahab”

Tropitel Dahab Oasis
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We just returned from a lovely holiday in dahab. The hotel was lovely, the staff couldn't have been more friendly and the location was perfect.

I'm not usually one to write reviews but I feel annoyed when I read about lovely places that people have dissed because they didn't get on with a particular waiter.

The staff were extremely friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Our hotel room was clean and always finished with a lovely towel arrangement on our bed. The food was cooked to perfection, while after a while it became a bit samey there was always an omelette station at breakfast and pasta station at lunch and dinner with a range of items so you could create your perfect meal. It is also worth noting that our of our family of five not one of us suffered with an upset stomach at all! And we did try all the food available and there was even a barbecue with chicken on the bone served and that too was thoroughly cooked and delicious.

Having been to shark el sheik we were looking for similar facilities but with a change of scenery and we were very impressed with the reviews for dhahab, so we decided to make the booking. As we have a young son we did book a private shuttle as the hotel is about an hour away from the airport and we didn't want to spend ages going to other hotels if we went by coach.

The new years eve gala food was stunning such a range of foods and displayed beatifully.

We were lucky with the weather but it is worth noting that if the day is dull the trips involve either camels or walking and I foolishly didn't take any walk shoes. But as we only had a couple of cloudy days were weren't fussed. There were loads of trips available from within the hotel and the blue hole was within walking distance or about half hour by camel. The snorkelling was excellent and interestingly list of the peoe there had travelled up from shark to see the reef - a testament to how good it was!

We also sample the room service (as hubby had been four days without a mcdonalds and needed some fries) and it was lovely and really cheap too. Worth paying out for if you have fussy eaters or just want a taste of home.

Our son is five almost and there was no kids club and not much for kids to do other than swim, play in the park, snorkel or be entertained by all the waiters who keep them talking. Our boy had a great time but we did take board games and cards to play by the pool and after dinner.

I'm not sure if it was because it was winter but there is no entertainment at night-it was so quiet - I think perhaps as divers get up so early the go to bed early- but at night it's dead - so quiet that you get the feeling there must be a huge party somewhere in an area of the hotel you haven't found yet cos there's nothing going on at all.

We chatted to other guests though and played cards and there was pool and snooker but if you want excitement after hours it's best to head into dahab and get a taxi back which costs about £3! There's loads of night life down there.

All in all I couldn't rate the place highly enough, great holiday all round.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Kellarooni
Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Lovely area still mostly untouched. hotel was a 3*+ in my opinion. Rooms good but showers not so good and take mossie spray - they feasted on me! the hotel is peaceful with beautiful views and plenty of space. bar needs an update and the food could do with a more local feel rather than trying to cater for all nationalities but overall it's definitely worth considering if you are thinking of heading to dahab. look out for Butchi the guide whilst your there - cracking bloke, very interesting and incredibly helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011
5  Thank fetcham
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Spent a week here at Easter and had a great time, a nice hotel with good service and very freindly staff. Really enjoyed The Bedouin night with Mr Bean and would go back again.

If you want a quiet relaxing get away from it all holiday with decent food and tentative staff then this hotel is for you,

Room Tip: The first floor rooms have good views
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank T-3man
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We were a little worried about staying at this hotel after some of the reviews on here. Though some were correct we were wrong to be worried.
The hotel is set with the Red Sea on one side and mountains on the other and is definitely a relaxing hotel. What the hotel lacks is a better all inclusive, it only lasts from 12 on day of arrival to 12 on last day and special events such as Christmas nights, drinks have to be bought. This was rather strange as the bar does remain open during event times.
However, the hotel more than makes up for this negative, as the staff were truly fantastic. They are tentative to your needs, friendly, inviting and very welcoming. From the chefs to the cleaners the staff are truly awesome.
The food is good. It can get a bit samey, but it is tasty and there is lots of it. There is always the back up of the pasta/spaghetti if there is a problem. We are vegetarian but never had a problem. Cakes were also great.
This hotel is great if you want a relaxing holiday, with no entertainment and decent food. It is not the hotel for you if you want a AI that includes 24 hr food and drinks (there are no snack bars), or if you want a animation team, or want to be in the centre of town (though the free bus was very good for getting into town).

Room Tip: Sea view, but both sides have good views
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank shazam89
Reviewed 25 December 2011

This was a really god holiday, I enjoyed it more than any other holiday I have been on, the heat was bearable and the trips were amazing, it was so much different to England. The reason I have only put a rating of two is because my laptop was stolen from the hotel while my bags were in reception on the last day and the staff haven't been too helpful about it, I still haven't got it back and the staff can't seem to find it, it's possible a holidaymaker has stolen it, but I'm not sure, I have emailed the hotel to send me confirmation of a police report to get my insurance claim, but they are not cooperating, which I am disappointed with. Because my laptop was stolen I have no photos to post, I had loads of photos too, taken with a DSLR.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left side with a sea view will let you catch the rays better than on the right side.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Dan H
TropitelNaamaBay, General Manager at Tropitel Dahab Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear Mr.Dan H
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on the hotel as it makes me really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding the police report that you are upset from not cooperating with you about, our lobby camera didn’t show any evidence of stealing, so in turn the hotel can’t ask for a police investigation, the concerned person is the only one having the right to ask for a police report and the hotel can’t ask on behalf of him as per the Egyptian law.
Hope I made the issue clear and removed any misunderstanding that has taken place, hoping to give us the pleasure of serving you again.
Kind Regards,
Hotel Management.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Nothing much more to add about this literal "oasis." Everything was as it should be. Comfortable rooms. Clean. Quiet. I had an excellent time and would love to go back.

The drinks service is fine but do be aware that wine is only served at mealtimes. They ran out of white wine on my last night. Oops, Hic!!!!
I bought a bottle of Barcardi on the flight and Pepsi at the bar and made my own drinks to have on the balcony. Mmmmm. Bliss.

Food is well-cooked and plentiful. No complaints. Just standard buffet-fayre. The bread is addictive. LOADS of puddings if you have a sweet tooth. The pasta station is really good. Spag bol a la Dahab.

The staff are attentive and fun. Especially Mr Bean, Khaled and Ahmed (bell-boy). George on Reception is very kind and helpful. I had to change rooms as my air-con was not working properly. No problem for them.

The Bedoiun night is excellent. Moon over the sea, waves crashing on the beach.....Food is excellent and lots of it.

All in all a great holiday for a bargain price. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask the guys on Reception who will be happy to meet any requests.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank notforturning
Reviewed 20 December 2011

My wife and I recently came back from a 7-day december trip to Dahab. First of all, our expectations were not really high, as we had a few friends going to Sharm-el-Sheikh with differing opinions. We avoided Sharm and headed to this hotel in Dahab, and I have to say that my wife and I were pleasantly surprised: the hotel is amazing, the service even better, and the staff have a reputation of making you feel like home, which lives through all of what they do.

I do have to say that the hotel itself is a bit far away from the main amenities of downtown Dahab (about 1 hour walk if you feel adventurous, but my advise is: don't). BUT they offer 3 free shuttle services direct to the main wooden bridge at around 10:00, 12:00 and 18:00, which is incredibly convenient.

What is a nice surprise is that this is the closest hotel to the Blue Hole, so if you want to walk there (my advise: DO), it's only 35 minutes away. You could also go by camel or quad-bike for around 5 English pounds, arranged straight from the hotel.

Access to other placesfrom Tropitel Dahab Hotel is a breeze, with no place taking considerably much longer than from any of the more central hotels, so if you are being picked up for any excursion, your wake-up time should not be affected too badly (expect early 7am or 8am pickups for all day excursions)

We went on an all-inclusive package, and I have to say it is very good value for the money. The food is very decent and with extremely high hygiene standards, and the local beers and wines are of a very decent quality (don't expect top-notch or export-quality booze).

The hotel even hosts a very well assorted store, where you can get souvenirs, snorkelling equipment and refreshments, and Fady from the store will be happy to talk to you in any language you speak, be it German, Russian, Polish, Czech, English or Arabic! Amazing guy, seriously have a chat with him!

Additionally to all of the above, the pool and private beach are FANTASTIC, the staff really make an effort to make it as comfortable as possible, and at the beach you even have your own partitions in case you want to sunbathe and not feel the gaze of people around you. December is a bit chilly and windy for the beach, so head straight to the pool. They make sure it's at a nice temperature so a swim is always possible, even when it's a bit chilly outside.

One thing you have to be aware of is that there are no cash machines in the hotel or its vecinity. The closest one is in central Dahab, using the free shuttle buses. This is something they could improve in, as running out of cash in a cash-only place can be quite frustrating, especially if you are not planning on going downtown, and are planning on going to the blue hole instead.

All in all, I have to say my wife and I never feel like going back to any place we've been on holidays, but this is probably the first one we would happily go back and bring more friends.

Room Tip: Get the ones on the second level, on the left side of the pool (left side facing the beach), these h...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple