“Second visit to Tropital *Review Update*”

Tropitel Dahab Oasis
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Dahab
Alexandria, Egypt
“Second visit to Tropital *Review Update*”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

although i gave my first review of tropitel dahab oasis 4 stars (my nov 2011 visit) i give it only 3 this time

the food quality has dramatically declined since then..i don't know what really happened, but it's been awful..i stayed there with friends for 3 nights and 4 days..and i can't remember anything that tasted good

Om aly that tasted like bread, ice cream cake that's pure ice, home-made food like bamia and fasolia (Egyptians will relate) , falafel for dinner...thats just an example

i really hope they change again, i love that hotel

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mo_tarek
TropitelNaamaBay, General Manager at Tropitel Dahab Oasis, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your review on TripAdvisor, and we are very happy that you like our hotel. your comments you wrote for sure i will take care about it. I wished if you have reported to any of our Chief, who are daily in the restaurant, or the manager of the restaurant, we are at your service 24 hour. , or even me personally, that i had the chance to take an immediate action.

We appreciate your feedback

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
puridrops
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Hello Tropitel,
Sorry I have only just got around to leaving my review! We spent 14 nts here, over Christmas and New Year, had a wonderful time, got very spoilt from the staff, who are all amazing, a special thankyou to the Chef who made my 9 year daughter her own hot chocolate sauce, freshly made every morning, for her pancakes and Mohammad (the pasta chef) who made the best freshly made Spag Bol for my daughter, she still talks about it! and wants to go back.

We stayed in the two bed suite, totally amazing, and such beautiful views, I could of stayed here forever.
Snorkelling from hotel was amazing, very easy to enter water from the jetty, and only about 30/40 minute walk to Blue Hole, lovely chilled out area and great snorkelling, you can leave your bags/clothes in one of the cafes while you snorkel. Dahab town is real nice, shops and bars and cafes, chilled out atmosphere, not too much hassle.

I would definately recommend this hotel for a nice relaxing holiday with beautiful views, great snorkelling, good food and friendly professional service.

A special thankyou to George,(who arranged the lovely Suite for us) the Restaurant Manager, and Chefs. Thank you
PS. Santa came on Christmas day on a camal - was a fab Xmas and NY

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
TropitelNaamaBay, General Manager at Tropitel Dahab Oasis, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Karen,

thank you for your review, i was waiting for it to read it. It was nice to read it and to know that you all had a fantastic holiday special to your daughter, we all miss her. We hope to see you again in tropitel for your next holiday. Big hi from all the staffxx

general manager
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This was my first trip to Egypt and I wasn't disappointed. I'd been told that in general, the hotels are below the standards of say, Turkey, but it is behind on the curve of tourist development so that is to be expected. The Tropitel was one of those places that didn't seem great when I arrived at night - my room seemed tired and dated on first look, the staff seemed surly, I had to pay for wifi which didn't work initially, and there was a huge cockroach in the bathroom in the middle of the night. But hey presto - in the glorious morning light all appeared different. The beautiful setting of the hotel, away from the town and backed by the mountains of Sinai, with a jetty (for divers) out over the sea and a quiet pool and beach area, made me realise I'd made the right choice. The wifi was fixed (there's a landline problem which is why you have to pay) and my twin, pool-view room was huge and clean (I never saw another bug in the room). Only the shower area could have done with an upgrade. Being a solo female traveller, I think the staff made it their business to ensure I had a nice time. This culminated in them reserving an outdoor table for me at the restaurant each night, and decorating it with flowers (thanks, Nagy). I had a lot to thank managers Sherif and Joe for - they made sure I got Turkish coffee each day (thanks to Mohamed for making it) and kept checking with me to make sure all was well. They seemed genuinely concerned after my one and only trip into Dahab, in which a shopkeeper offered me a glass of tea that had clearly been spiked. Feeling dizzy, I managed to get the shuttle bus back, but didn't venture into town again. Even though I wore a huge, shapeless long dress, the hassle was too much for a woman on her own. I was so happy to get back to the respectful staff and comforts of the hotel. I hadn't expected the wind factor in Dahab so I developed a routine of wind-free, sheltered relaxing on my balcony each morning, followed by a session on the beach in the afternoons when the wind died down. It was like clockwork each day. It was a real joy to walk out onto the jetty and see the colourful fish on the reef - I don't swim so this was my only viewpoint for them. I was told by a snorkelling couple that the quality of the diving at the hotel was good. I took a couple of trips from the hotel via the cheeky Marco and I highly recommend them. They're well-priced and well-organised. I went to St Catherine's Monastery and on a boat trip to Three Pools. I was surprised at how great the boat was, and again, as a non-swimmer, I had it all to myself each time the group jumped in to the sea to do a bit of snorkelling. I loved it. The monastery is awesome - make sure you pay the extra £2.50 to view the treasures in the museum. The only trip I didn't enjoy was the evening Bedouin party in the desert. It's really for couples so I felt very isolated - not recommended for solo travellers. I do highly recommend the massages in the Spa. The guys sell to you really hard, but it's worth taking at least one or two massages. They were excellent, although fairly expensive (about £45 for an hour, which is the same as the UK). One thing the hotel is still getting to grips with is the concept of all-inclusive. At first it seems very confusing that some things are included and others not. Fresh juice and Turkish coffee should be on there, for starters. Why not include everything except the a la carte menu, just to make it easier? Other reviewers have complained about the quality of the drinks - I agree that the cocktails aren't great, but hey - this is a Muslim country. I stuck to Luxor beer or Egyptian wine. Thanks to Mohammed in the Lobby Bar for being particularly good to me during my stay - he always had a smile and didn't seem to suffer from that innate surliness that many Egyptians struggle to overcome in a service-oriented environment. Finally - a note to the management about the music - no more Boney M or Celine Dion! This seemed to be on a permanent loop during my stay. I have to say, though, I laughed more than once when Boney M's 'Rasputin' played during breakfast, when I was surrounded by Russian tourists. Brilliant.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view or overlooking the pool are best
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lisa E
dear Silvy,

Wow, what a review, you take your time to write about your holiday. and i am happy you enjoyed your time with us. the negative point you wrote i will sure take care about it. concerning the fresh juices and the Turkish coffee you mention we cant put it in the all inclusive system, any where you go, if you want fresh juices you will pay extra for it. thank you for the good comments of my staff because they are the one who makes the holiday for our guest . they take care and give a good service to all my guest. About the music i will change it, and i will put some relax music on in the morning. Thank you again and we hope to see you again in Tropitel dahab.

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Hello Tropitel,
I would like to thank you for wonderful days of my holidays spent in your hotel. Very friendly staff, excelent servise, magnificent cafeteria and sweets. Thank you, I will recommend your hotel. Sylva Navratilova, Prague

Room Tip: As far as I know all rooms are good, but I would reccomend rooms with pool and sea scenery.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
TropitelNaamaBay, General Manager at Tropitel Dahab Oasis, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Dear Silva

thank you for your review, and we looking forward to see you again in tropitel Dahab. big hi from all the staff

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We have stayed in Sharm, Dahab & Marsa several times and have experienced the good, the bad and the ugly. This hotel was a pleasant surprise.

We only really go to dive so you must look at the review from our point of view. Our criteria is decent room, no loud music or entertainment, decent food with a breakfast that starts at 7am at the latest and within easy reach of a decent dive centre, (dived with Reef200 who picked us up and dropped us off everyday with no issues)

The Tropitel is a small hotel based up near the Canyon on Blue Hole Rd about 5-10 minutes drive from the checkpoint. Dahab is not really walking distance (about 15 minutes drive to the Lightouse)

Rooms are pretty good, air conditioning works effectively, always had hot water and though we asked for a double and got a twin on arrival. A quick visit to reception got us what we asked for very quickly. Ground floor room which opened out onto a small terrace.

We stayed all inclusive and this hotel has in the most got the idea of all inclusive. OK you can't get real juice, decent coffee or wifi included but they actually provided a good choice of food and drink (drinks served in real glasses, wine with meals)

The food here is a refreshing change, it is actually hot, plenty of variety and no issues with any kind of illness. It was also tasty and we enjoyed it.

There is no evening entertainment in this hotel which for us makes it a reason to go back. We really weren't looking for banging garage music blasting out across the pool, annoying shows or any kind of "entertainment".

The hotel was 95% Russian and Polish at the time we were there but caters very well for all nationalities.

There are free buses to Lighthouse and the other end of Dahab though they can get a bit crowded especially the 8pm bus. Plenty of tourist tat, restaurants and bars in Dahab to suit any magpies, shopaholics or if you just want a change of scenery.

If we wanted to be picky then the instant coffee tastes a little like mud, there are no tea and coffee facilities in the room, the wifi is not free.

But we would definitely go back

(If you are an independent traveler a taxi from Sharm airport should cost you no more than 300le one way and takes between 1- 1.5hrs. Look for a well maintained vehicle as this is a fast desert road with very little on it. Usually they try for anything between 500-1000LE We have paid as little as 200 up to 300 depending on how much we could be bothered to haggle but you should try to arrange your return transfer at least a day before.)

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms open onto the centre of the hotel giving easy access to the pool, bar and restaur...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barry P
TropitelNaamaBay, General Manager at Tropitel Dahab Oasis, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Dear Barry,

Thank you for your review, we are happy that you enjoyed your holiday with us, and for sure i will take care about the coffee, i will have a look for it to change the taste of it. The WiFi, the reason is that it is we are in the middle of the dessert and we don't have a land line, so we need to provide it private, so that's why it is not for free. But i will have a look for it to make a better offer for our guest. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you soon again in tropitel Dahab

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I just finish my vacation today. 06.05.2013 in tropitel Dahab the vacation is very good because of the city & I spent most of time out of this poor hotel.. The service & the staff was very bad because of many things such as I ve an injury because of safari then I called the reception for asking a doctor & I was very very tired so employee first thing to say in phone is there will be extra fees with tuff way instead of saying god bless you sir & if he had experience he can say it with a good way ..second staff of restaurants are very bad & always looking to women & girls guests instead of working for sure with exception of some employees for exemple someone called MR Joe& few other these are good one always smiling to guests soo to the management of the hotel please try to choose your staff because the are the front & image of yours...the bellmen are also good man the reception are not caring when I ask something about AC . Always late & must call several times... The food is avarege & there is something very strange it's not my first time to be in hotel & always I reserve breakfast & dinner it's my first time here that the dinner is without drink I don't know why? It's not included witch is something very strange & bad too.. In general it's good experience to be in Dahab but very bad expirence to go this tropitel with staff not serving except few ones & the system of the dinner..... Regards Assem El Alamy

• Stayed May 2013
TropitelNaamaBay, General Manager at Tropitel Dahab Oasis, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
Dear guest

Our hotel and very bad staff !!!!! if you compare with my other reviews i think something is strange!! i dont understand why you dint ask for the GM to complain what you wrote, for sure i would solve the problem for you, if their where any problems!! When they inform you about the doctor, for sure they need to tell you that it is by extra charge, this is the normal system, because it is not free of charge, to don't have an unexpectedness payment at the end of the stay. We where fully book this time, and my staff had a lot of work, but they still give a good service to our guest, the other reviews speak for them self. The food, very strange, the buffet we serve is changing every day, we have different themes daily, like Oriental, chinees, barbecue, so i don't understand what is strange about it.
About the system in the hotels for the drinks , not only in Tropitel?
All inclusive guest have the drinks included their stay from 7.00 am till 12. am. without extra charge,
Half board guest have only their coffee or tea in the morning breakfast included, in the dinner the drinks are by extra charge.
If i had all this complains that you wrote i would ask to speak to the general manger, and for sure the problems will be solved in the same moment if there where any problems.

Best regards
immingham england
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Just returned from 10 fantastic days at TROPITEL,this was our second visit,and even better than last time. Bridget and her management team are doing a great job. All the staff are great,they are hardworking,polite,cheerful and friendly, nothing is too much trouble. We had an amazing sea view room, always kept very clean and tidy,with fresh linen everyday(and often a pleasant surprise left by Mohamed our room man). We would like to say a great big thank you to all of you,for making our holiday so fabulous. The food is lovely with a good variety to choose from,thanks again to all our lovely chefs.
The snorkelling is absolutely amazing,lovely clear waters. We have stayed in many hotels in Egypt, but this one beats them hands down. We cannot wait until October when we will be returning to our wonderful "oasis".
Thanks again to you all for making our holiday a special one. Sue and Mike room 254.

Room Tip: We would certainly RECCOMEND an upgrade to SEAVIEW
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sue and mike,

Fabulous , Wow, Thank you for your wonderful review, it was a pleasure to read it. And even better then the second time, it is nice to read that we are improving. All my staff say big hi to you and we are all waiting you in October.