“Good location and convenient”
Review of Oricana Hotel

Oricana Hotel
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We stayed there as part of our package with Big Blue diving centre. This was just across the road from them so was very convenient. We also chose this because of the pool - but didnt use it even once with the sea right there!

The breakfast was very good. The staff also made us pancakes and omelettes on request. They served a nice cake with breakfast too. The staff were very friendly.

The rooms were good. The only thing was the toilets - they were a bit mouldy in the corners. Not a major issue though but could have been cleaned better. Also we could hear noise from other rooms, which wasn't very pleasant since we used to be exhausted after the diving and would want to sleep quite early.

Unfortunately this hotel did not have free wifi! They were charging quite a bit for it. Which was surprising as in Dahab even restaurants have free wifi! Also every other 2-3 star hotel we stayed in in Egypt had free wifi. So for only this reason I will not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2010

A gem of a hotel and only a short walk from the shops, restaurants and dive shops. The rooms are spacious and most have balconies facing the swimming pool which is a good size too.

What makes this place even more welcoming are the staff - they are really friendly and will do anything to make the stay as pleasant as possible.

Looking forward to going back next year!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I was put up in a single room at this hotel for one week and was very disappointed with the room. The paintwork was tatty/dirty with grease marks in several areas and the en-suite was extremely disgusting. I have posted some pictures and hope they will appear.

The en-suite was small with enough room for toilet and sink only. The hotel had placed a shower pretty much over the toilet and made it into a wet room. Words can not describe the cleanliness in the en-suite as it was foul. I complained to the reception and they said they could only move my room mid week. So i accepted.

Mid week came and i spoke to reception about my move. They then insisted i could not move the hotel was full. I kicked up a bit of a fuss and after the manager was involved rooms were moved (This led me to believe the reception were telling fibs and just could not be bothered to move me!)

My new room was a double and i must say of a good quality. None of the previously mentioned issues were present with a comfortable double bed, good sized room and cleaner bigger en suite. It was still a tad rough around the edges but overall good.

Room quality at this hotel is very hit or miss. My second room was much better and i was very happy with it. I made friends at the hotel and there room varied in quality too not being as nice.

If you do stay at this hotel and are not happy with the room ask to move and insist. There are better quality rooms available. If they say no there are better hotels available.

One cheeky point to note was the manager at breakfast asked myself and two others to write good reviews on trip advisor. Very cheeky!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank FlyHigh901
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed here for four nights as part of a tour with Egypt Uncovered, and we were sorry to leave. Dahab is a wonderful place to visit and this hotel was a very friendly place with excellent service by the pool. Our two teenage sons enjoyed playing cards at night by the pool, and having the chance to stroll into the town or to the lagoon. We're already planning a trip back there next year!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I stayed at oricana for one night during a short diving trip to dahab, what I needed was an economy stay where I could get good rest after diving and spend 3-4 hours at the pool before leaving.

Bed: very comfortable; sheets were clean, new pillows, and the matress was very good. But if you consider your self very picky it is usually better to take your own sheets with you while staying at 3 stars or lower hotels

AC: excellent quiet split unit with a remote control

Bathroom: large, good ventilated, hotwater available and water taste was less saline than other hotels I stayed at in dahab
The only problem was the shower head which needed repair to give you that relaxing massage after a diving day

Refrigerator: excellent

TV: there was about 8-10 channels, most of them in arabic

Staff: very friendly and helpful from the hotel's manager who could be seen chatting with the guests all the time, all the way down to the housekeeping guys

Breakfast: a buffet; however there wasnt a big variety in the breakfast and dscovered after I finished that they make pan cakes which the other guests seemed to enjoy

Swimming pool: there was alot of chlorine in the water and the water was very turbid that even after wearing my goggles I couldnt see well underwater. for me it wasnt an attractive pool to swim in

Location: it is located at the begining of mashraba, about 5 minuets away from the beach and 10 minuets to the center of the corniche were all the people usually gather

The only noticable draw back was the cleanliness of the floor of the room, which it was clear that were in a hurry when they cleaned and that was may be because they checked me in early in the morning (9:00 am)

A minor draw back was that there was only one electricity plug that makes you limited to either use the fridge or watch the TV.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay, It was economic, the bed was very good and it was close to the diving center

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I was very pleased with the Oricana Hotel during my stay of 4 nights (5 days). I arrived very early in the morning, but was allowed to check in immediately, and found my room to be spotless with new, well-maintained furniture. The staff were all extremely friendly and greeted me warmly whenever I returned to or left the hotel throughout the day. In addition, the manager, Hossam, with whom I had communicated by email to make my reservation, checked in with me to make sure that everything was ok with my room. There was one day when my room wasn't cleaned, but as soon as I brought it to the staff's attention, they gave it a thorough cleaning.

The breakfast was great, with made-to-order omelettes and crepes, as well as pastries, fruit, veggies, cheeses and potatoes.

Internet access was available for a minimal charge (10 Egyptian pounds per day), and the hotel has a saltwater pool and nice sitting area around the pool.

The only drawback to the Oricana is that it is not located right on the main boardwalk on the beach, but rather is across the street, but is being 50 meters from the beach really such a bad thing?

Overall, I had a very positive experience and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I loved the area it was in and felt so safe and happier than i was in Cairo.
The staff and peoplein thearea were very friendly and helpful.
The beach resort and restaurants was very beautiful but small and comfortable.
When we first arrived at the hotel the room and bathroom was quite dirty but requested for a different room and given a better room with a better view and cleaner. It wasn't the cleanest hotels i've been to and the bathroom was quite old-fashioned and unusual but we had a nice small balcony and view of the pool and mountainsandit was just a 3star hotel was outside most of the time due to lack of entertainment facilitiesin the hotel and more facilities and more options outside and very near the hotel. Everything was very local and near the hotel with lots of restuarant and souvenir shops. And was very happy with the hotel staff service alot better than Cairo!

• Stayed: July 2009