“Could be better”

Emperor Divers El Gouna - Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Emperor Divers El Gouna is now co-located with our friends and associates, Blue Brothers Diving, at the Three Corners Ocean View Hotel on Abu Tig Marina, one of the main attractions here is how close the Centre is to popular dive sites such as Abu Nuhas. Depending on numbers special overnight trips to the wreck of the Rosalie Moeller can be arranged. Both learners and experienced divers will enjoy El Gouna; whether it's day diving, doing one of the day trips, learning to dive or taking your diving further. Our dedicated daily RIB quickly reaches great dive sites in comfort without missing too much 'resort' time or longer dive trips use our daily dive boats. Free try dives take place in our warm pool so you can 'try before you buy'. Emperor provides pick-ups from all hotels in the resort. Emperor also has dive centres in Hamata, Marsa Alam and Sharm El Sheikh.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We dived with Emperor divers every day from 31st May to 5th June. It would be helpful if the owner's description on this site is changed as it still says the dive centre is at the Movenpick, and mentions the dedicated daily rib and says picks up from all hotels in the resort. We didn't have a good start as went to the Movenpick on the first day as our Regal dive rep and the hotel didn't know the dive centre had moved and the welcome letter in our room just said 'see you at the dive centre' but didn't say where it was. The dive centre staff were very apologetic about this at the time and said they would take on board my suggestion of clarifying the location on the welcome letter to prevent this happening to any other guests. Also, our hotel was only a ten minute walk away but it would have been nice if a pick up on the first day was offered as we didn't know where we were going and had a heavy bag of dive gear.

In general, the dive boat was very good, although sunbathing space was limited, the boat crew were very helpful and the food at lunch was varied and excellent. The dive briefings were very professional and enthusiastic and safety on the boat was taken seriously with a role call when leaving each site. We found the group sizes were ok and smaller than some other places we have dived in the red sea, although there could have been more consideration for differing levels of experience in the groups to maximise everyone's enjoyment. We found Mahmoud (sorry if spelt wrong) was particularly enthusiastic and very good at finding stuff and then ensuring everyone in the group had seen it. He gets mentioned at lot doesn't he! We also enjoyed diving with David and he was very helpful with camera issues on the boat and interested in talking to us. Some of the other guides take the role as guide a bit to literally we felt. I can't comment on the equipment as we use our own, although free nitrox was a bonus but not particularly necessary for the diving on offer.

Overall, we were disappointed with the diving in general as many of the dive sites were a bit samey and unremarkable. We were particularly disappointed not to have the opportunity to visit Abu Nuhas during our week and we understand the windy conditions impacted on this. It was a shame that the only day during our stay that the conditions were ideal (mill pond) to go the Abu Nuhas we went to Dolphin House as 'that's where they always go on a Wednesday'. We noticed Orca divers went to Abu Nuhas on 3.6.14 and then Careless reef on 4.6.14 which was also somewhere we would have liked to go to. We wondered if there were other reasons why we went to nearer dive sites, for instance the cost of fuel or the mixture of levels of experience of the guests and snorkellers on the boat. On our last day diving there were two boats available and if this had been the case on any other days, the diving on offer could have been more varied. We also take any opportunity to do a 3rd dive, which was only on offer on one day during our visit. Why not offer a third dive more often as people like us don't mind paying extra for it and generally other people are happy to enjoy an extra hour relaxing on the boat. We would also have taken the opportunity to do a night dive or two which we didn't think was available.

I don't usually write any reviews or take much notice of what other people have written. I hope you find my feedback is fair and constructive. We have dived many times in Egypt and are very aware that times are hard in tourism at present. All the more reason to ensure the people that continue to support the economy by visiting have a memorable, enjoyable and exciting experience.

1  Thank DanMadden
TMSEgypt, General Manager at Emperor Divers El Gouna - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Hi Dan

We welcome your feedback as it allows us to make improvements where possible.

We changed the information on our website about our move to the Three Corners some months back and as far as I am aware so did Regal Diving. As you booked in February it is possible you booked prior to these changes, however, Regal should have informed you. Your point about the welcome letter is well made and it has now been amended to make the pick-up and transfer details clearer. Thank you for this feedback.

I am pleased you found the diving well managed and safe. I will ensure Mahmoud and David see your comments. I will discuss your point about differing levels of diving ability but would say that with our guests changing on a daily basis the guides have to take time to assess a divers skills and confidence to understand who can tackle what site safely.

We aim to go to Abu Nuhas once a week and this happens regularly. It is not only the weather that affects the trip but also the fact that some divers are not confident to conduct the dive when the weather is poor thus leaving only a few able to dive the site. Our trip to Dolphin House is programmed and advertised for a Wednesday to try and get enough people on the boat to make it viable. It's Murphy's law that, during your stay, the one day the weather was suitable for Abu Nuhas was a Wednesday. As you indicate, with the low numbers in resort during June we have worked closely with all the dive centres in El Gouna to share boat capacity and therefore offer as wide a variety of dive sites as possible. I am very sorry we were unable to do this during your stay but can assure you it was not a matter of cost rather that events seem to have conspired to remove our usual flexibility. Your feedback is very constructive and I have already talked to our team in El Gouna and other dive centres to see if we can find a way to cooperate further to offer more variety. Simply renting a boat for a few divers is not feasible not least due to the number of suitable boats available at short notice so finding a way of improving the shared boat capacity to certain dives sites could be a way forward. Indeed, last week, we just shared a trip to Thistlegorm.

Thank you again for your review and helpful feedback. Like you, we hope to see more guests in the Red Sea so we can then operate two or even three boats and thus have a lot more flexibility in our operation.

Best regards

Mike Braun

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Apart from Mahmoud who was a lovely guide, this dive school is not good. The kit is completely knackered, my o valve was so rusty and let out bubbles under water! The groups were far too big, they made me dive in a group of 10 which meant a lot of waiting around while people faced about equalising (or failing to!). I was told I could do some wreck dives and night dives when I called ahead, total fib as they weren't willing to do it unless 20 people were up for it. Communication between head office and el gouna was very poor, they charged us twice for the kit hire.

The diving itself is ok - better near hurghada - not as lively with fish as I had hoped and some of the coral was pretty dead, that said I only went to 6 dive sites so there maybe better diving to be had there.

Next time I will go to Euro Divers which seemed much better, I looked around their kit room and it was much better-organised, the instructor is a French guy who instilled me with much more confidence!!

2  Thank AnnaRWStewart
TMSEgypt, General Manager at Emperor Divers El Gouna - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear AnnaRWStewart,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent diving here in El Gouna. We are sorry to hear that you would not wish to dive with us again but hope our feedback below clarifies some of the points you raise. At all times, our aim is to provide the best service possible and if errors are made they are corrected as soon as possible.

We feel your description of the equipment is overly critical. We have operated in the Red Sea for a long time, since 1992, and know that, due to the constant use, the heat and high salt content, items like wet suits and BCDs can look faded quite quickly. However, we run a strict maintenance programme and renew our equipment regularly. Having just checked our equipment, over 75% of our regulators are only a year old. They have all been inspected and the valves are not rusty. I am sorry to hear that your valve leaked. It is more likely that, as you used your own regulator, the international insert leaked slightly. The inserts are not rusty, the top chrome covering has worn exposing the underneath but it is not rust. The inserts sometimes don't seat very well causing a small leak, however, we would have been very happy to change this at the time.

With regard to your diving, we note that you dived with us for three days with the first two days in a group of 10 and then on the third day in a group of four. The ratio of 1:10 is standard in the Red Sea and most dive schools operate with these numbers at busy times. It is possible to have a private guide at an extra cost. Due to the rental cost of the boat for a night dive we set a minimum of 10 people and this again is quite standard for dive centres here. It is a shame that, during your stay, there was very little interest in special trips and we are sorry you feel our communication was not good on this point. Once we know there is interest in a special trip we do our best to get others interested, even offering discounts to try to increase numbers, but sadly we could not get enough people to make this trip viable. We note we ran the trip to Sharm el Naga well below our minimum numbers to allow the trip to go ahead.

We are sorry we made an error on your bill but are pleased the problem was spotted and corrected quickly. It was human error and we understand Mel apologised at the time. Mahmoud is indeed a good guide and the team is pleased that you enjoyed his guiding. We feel it fair to say that your short visit did not really allow time to experience the full extent of the diving that's available.

Thanks again for your feedback. We hope our input clarifies the points you have raised. We welcome all feedback as it allows us to monitor and improve our operation where possible as has happened in this case. However, we always encourage our guests to give us immediate feedback whilst in resort so we can resolve any issues there and then ensuring the experience is the best possible.

Kind regards

Mike Braun

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I spent 5 great days diving with Emperor Divers/Blue Brothers. What a great discovery!
The staff and owners are very friendly, fun, competent, and safety-conscious. A beautiful comfy boat, perfectly well equipped with sound equipment, fantastic crew and an excellent chef!
As always, we were taken to great dive sites and given non-stop top-notch services.
If you want a great diving experience in Egypt El Gouna, we highly recommend Emperor Divers/Blue Brothers!
Thank you again to all of you at Emperor Divers/Blue Brothers for a truly awesome experience. Hope to see you all very soon :)

TMSEgypt, Manager at Emperor Divers El Gouna - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello and thank you for the great review and thanks also for the recommendation.
I am really happy you enjoyed your holiday with us and that you found everything to be as it should. I am glad you enjoyed the great sites, I will pass on your kind comments to the rest team. It’s great to hear the boat crews looked after you so well and I will be sure to let the captains know. We all look forward to your next visit

Kind Regards
Emperor Divers El Gouna Team

Reviewed 17 April 2014

As a very frequent visitor to the Red Sea for Scuba Diving whenever possible I always choose to dive with Emperor Divers due to their quality and attention to detail and most of all safety.

Therefore I have previously dived with Emperor Divers on numerous occasion in Sharm-El-Sheikh and Marsa Alam, but this was the first time of diving with Emperor in El Gouna.

When I originally booked my holiday I choose to stay at the Movenpick Resort in El Gouna simply because at the time Emperor Divers were based at this resort.

Unfortunately shortly after making my both my hotel and pre-diving bookings, Emperor made a decision to relocate their Dive Centre and join forces with Blues Brother Diving based at the Abu Tig Marina. I assume that this move became necessary simply due to the current political problems that Egypt is facing and the resultant low visitor numbers. Initially I was a little disturbed by news of this joint company arrangement, but having now experienced it for myself this combined diving arrangement appears to work very well. So whereas Emperor and Blues Brothers currently share the same facilities and the same Dive Boat (actually owned by Blues Brothers), to a certain extent they still keep their clients as separate groups.
Either way the same quality of service and attention to safety that I have come to expect from Emperor Divers was still evident and I would like to thank our dive leader Pete for this.
The actual diving in El Gouna was a pleasant change from the dive sites at Sharm, and on this occasion we managed to find and dive with a pod of about 10 Dolphins at 'Dolphin House Reef; which was really the highlight of this diving holiday for me personally.
So overall the dive sites around in El Gouna are not necessarily any better than those offered by Sharm, Marsa Alam, Dahab or, Taba Heights, they are just a bit different and as I said earlier a pleasant change.

However, please be aware that the majority of dive sites are a good 2.5 hours boat journey away from the Abu Tig Marina and on some days this felt more like cruise than a diving holiday and also due to the length of the boat journeys involved to get to the dive sites only 2 dives are possible each day.
So again I would recommend Emperor/ Blues Brothers Diving for anyone wanting to dive around El Gouna.

TMSEgypt, General Manager at Emperor Divers El Gouna - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Scubaray1

Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a detailed review of our centre in El Gouna. We would also like to say thanks for being a regular and valued Emperor guest.

You feedback has enabled us to monitor and assess the new arrangements working in combination with Blues Brothers at El Gouna. One point that should be noted is that the boat in fact does not belong to Blues Brothers but is chartered from the owners of El Gouna. One item we feel worth clarifying for readers is that booking at the Movenpick or some other El Gouna hotels involves a transfer from the hotel to the marina for daily boat diving departures so we hope that our new location makes this aspect more convenient.

Regarding the dive sites - we feel they are relatively closer than from the old centre in Hurghada such as Tor Fanus and quite a lot shorter distance from Umm Gamar, Shab El Erg and Abu Nuhas for instance but it is fair to say that some of the great dive sites require travelling a good distance to avoid disappointment as is the case from most locations in the Red Sea.

Once again thank you for your review it is much appreciated and we look forward to welcome you back at one of our locations in the near future.
Best Regards
Terry

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Whilst it was a bit of a faff trying to find the place (the diving office had moved to the far right side of the Abu Tig Marina) I was really thrilled with the atmosphere and attitude of the staff.

We went to some great locations quite far from the mainland and without the usual clutter of many other dive boats.

I was fortunate enough to see (on top of the usual banner fish, clown fish, etc) zebra shark and dolphins. The staff were laid back but kept a good eye out/helping when required for those who needed it.

The food on the boat was ace as well.

I'd definitely go with these guys again!

TMSEgypt, Manager at Emperor Divers El Gouna - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear L8BRL
Thanks for posting the five star review and the recommendation. We were pleased to hear that that you were happy with the atmosphere and attitude of the staff at the centre and you saw a lot of life during your dives.
We look forward to diving with you again the future
Thanks and Regards