“A splendid holiday once again at the Sheraton Miramar Resort”

Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
Reviewed 25 July 2008

This was my fourth holiday at the Sheraton Miramar hotel so I do not have to explain how satisfied I am. Once again the service was great and this is valid for all departments (reception, room cleaning, massage, restaurant, pool, ....). It started with a very warm welcome and this continued the whole holiday period long. They spared no effort in ensuring that we had a superb holiday. We stayed in a recently refurbished room on the beachfront over-looking a beautiful blue lagoon. Without exception the staff were polite, efficient and took pride in their work. The atmosphere was as always relaxed and friendly and I can assure you that this is not always the case in five star hotels.
Being in the Sheraton hotel is like being at home with this difference that they take care of everything and that you have only one thing to do "relax and enjoy".
Therefor I have no fear to recommend the Sheraton Miramar, El Gouna - for a relaxing holiday, in a fantastic location offering a great service.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank LouDiest
Write a ReviewReviews (2,850)

Reviewed 19 July 2008

My family and I checked into the Sheraton with rooms on Miramar Beach, the location of the rooms recommended by friends. This was ideal. Beauganvilla meandered over the arbor on our ground floor terrace and palm trees swayed overhead. We were right on the beach and we could just pop in the water and grab a beach towel on the way out to our room. The rooms were wonderful - spacious with wonderful spa robes and a gigantic two headed shower in the King bedroom. Staff are friendly and helpful. We chose half board, which includes breakfast and dinner - a wise choice for us. The dinner buffet changed themes nightly, and the food was fantastic. I should add that this was the 4th hotel we stayed in during our 3 week visit to Egypt, with one of the others being the Four Seasons San Stefano in Alexandria. The Sheraton has a winner with this hotel - and the modern interpretation of Nubian design by architect Michael Graves fits beautifully in the location. We snorkled a bit in the sea, and while the coral isn't too numerous, there's enough there with interesting fish to keep you entertained. The Red Sea was clean, clear and a wonderful temperature. I didn't want to leave El Gouna - and my family will definitely return. The Sheraton will be our choice.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank Jennys-a
Reviewed 18 July 2008

From the moment you walk into reception you get a very warm welcoming feeling from the staff. starting from the porter then. Mr Ehab Ahmed the receptienest, Mr Mahmood Fathy , the guest relation , all are excellent , they are very friendly and polite staff. Extensive choices and variety of food especially at breakfast. Pool area is very clean , Mr ahmed Said, the pool activity supervisor, morning pool games, exercise....
The health club members are very good , Mrs Heba, Mona, Mr Ahmed saad, Mohamed and all other member made me and my wife very happy with the oriental massages.
Many thanks and I will come back soon.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alaapasha
Reviewed 5 July 2008

This was my second visit to the Sheraton Miramar but my daughter 's (aged 21) first. My previous experience was in 2006 when I worked in Egypt for 5 months. At that time I found the hotel to be warm, welcoming with an attention to customer service that surpassed any of the other hotels I stayed in, including those in Hurghada, Sharm, Luxor and Cairo. As the majority of egyptian hotels offer service that is of a far higher standard than many other countries in the world (I am an experienced traveller) this is not an easy statement to make but it was for this reason I chose to return here with my daughter - for a week of sun and total relaxation. We were not disappointed! The service (if it was possible) was even better than before, the warm welcome was delightful and no effort was spared in ensuring that we had a superb holiday. We stayed in a stunning, recently refurbished room on the beachfront over-looking a beautiful blue lagoon, right on the edge of the Red Sea. Without exception the staff were polite, efficient and took pride in their work. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly (not always the case in five star hotels) in fact I would say it felt like home from home, a feeling that was shared by my (often) hard to please daughter. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Sheraton Miramar, El Gouna - for a relaxing holiday, in a fantastic location offering service that is second to none! We will definitely return!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank SunshineSeeker_8
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Date 6th June 2008 2 weeks
Found location and staff both excellent but rooms in 5000 cluster need re-furbishing(due Sept 2008).Mini-bar only re-stocked every other day and used cups and glasses not washed but returned to shelf dirty.Notified all this to reception (twice) and assured it would be addressed but was not.The restuarant manager who has responsibility for mini-bar and crockery etc personally spoke to us at breakfast one day and again assured us that mini-bar,tea,coffee,milk and clean glasses etc would be dealt with each day but were not for the whole holiday.We were moved to a room in the 7000 cluster when we pointed out that our terrace had no shade from the sun.Breakfast was excellent but lunch at Waves left a lot to be desired.Since we were B & B we ate at the Marina most nights particularly La Scala which very good indeed.Would not rate this hotel as 5* more perhaps 3.5*.El Gouna is a lovely resort and would return but not to the Sheraton which is a shame as we have stayed at several Sheratons world-wide and been more than pleased

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tamila
Reviewed 28 June 2008

We have just returned from a great holiday at the sheraton, we arrived in the evening and were greeted with a drink and driven to our room in a golf buggy at high speed. the room was very nice with a large balcony looking out at the sea.

We stayed bed and breakfast, the breakfast was generally the best meal of the day with plenty of choice. we spent most of our time around the pool where it was never a problem getting a sunbed, we snorkelled around the small reef at the hotel,I spotted a stingray and some smaller fish, but it is a long walk out to get to it, I would recommend going on the dolphin house trip you get to see some beautiful coral and wild dolphins.

the night time was very quiet in the hotel and in el gouna, we ate out most nights the standard of the food was not great probably the worst thai meal i've ever had at the movenpick, the chefs looked the part but after some cold tasteless spring rolls and mini crispy duck with a months worth of noodles I think they need a new cook book. The food in the sheraton was the best we had.

all in all a great hotel which we would go to again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2008

My partner and I booked a late deal through Thomas Cook and stayed at the Sheraton in El Gouna for one week in the middle of June 2008. We flew from Birmingham Airport to Hurghanda Airport.

The Sheraton Miramar resort in El Gouna was simply dream-like. Once arriving from the coach – the drive up to reception was epic, the front entrance to the hotel was made up of large bright palatial concrete pillars and the drive up to the reception was picturesque at night with its many lights and gardens. Once we arrived, we were welcomed off the coach by a man who knew our names, took away our bulky luggage and quickly processed our registration. He then drove us on a ‘golf buggy’ through the grounds to our lower level room and gave us a rapid introduction to the hotel – covering the essential basics, such as breakfast times, the shuttle bus, etc. Once we hopped off the vehicle, he disappeared into the gardens momentarily and presented us with a beautiful pink flower each! We had arrived!

The room was ideal – This included a large bathroom, superb shower room (no bath), two sinks; many drawers and a large wardrobe; large flat screen TV mounted on the wall; many mirrors, table and two chairs…. The only setback was that we had two single beds that we had to place together, which made sleeping together sometimes uncomfortable and challenging! I would recommend that people take the required two pin adapters, as we forget – however, the hotel kindly provided us an adapter free of charge.

The breakfast buffet was first rate – we ate outside in the very hot morning sun each day and were served by the smiley, fun and cheeky Saied. He was a joy to see each morning! The food choice was diverse – everything from fresh fruit to fried breakfast to donuts to koftas to pasta! There was always plenty of food and you were not left wanting for more. A worthy mention should go to the daily newsletter that was to be found on each table every morning – this article detailed the weather, daily / upcoming events, local news, etc.

The swimming pool area was spectacular. The sun beds were all wooden and well cushioned. The flooring around the pool area was clean and safe. Towels were provided the pool staff and we did not face the problem of all sun beds being ‘reserved’. About 10% of the sun beds were ‘reserved’ by around 10am, which was pretty good in our experience. The swimming pool was a place of much fun for us, as we played ball, practice snorkelled and did lots of lilo diving! Ahmed and Mohamed were exceptional pool staff members – and almost daily provided flowers to my partner. What impressed me was that they asked my permission first, out of respect. The gesture was rooted from the pleasant friendships we generated with the pool staff. The pool restaurant staff were brilliant, regularly ensuring we were well hydrated and checking on us if we wanted food or cocktails! (We stuck to water due to the sweltering but gorgeous heat) Said, Ahmed and Mahmoud were impeccably gracious and always wore genuine larger than life smiles. The food menu was just right – we mostly eat salads or burgers. We both recommend the Californian salad, which I will soon attempt to recreate in the UK in due course!

We observed that the hotel hosted a mixture of holidaymakers – British, American, Russian, German, French and Dutch to name but a few!

The grounds of the hotel at day and night were sublime. By day the colours of the flowers were glorious – With us not being much of gardeners we would not be able to name any of the flowers, only the many tall sunflowers that were scattered across the hotel grounds. The many hotel grounds staff were working daily to maintain the scenic walks that were possible. The lagoons weaved through the hotel complex and looked magnificent, in particular at night with the lights reflecting on the surface and when the moon reflected – it was very romantic.

The beach was a few minutes walk from our hotel room and the sea level was knee high for almost half a mile! This made it to be a lovely walk from the beach. The waters were clear and very warm. We snorkelled on two occasions and saw a variety of fishes in seas less than a metre high. I even saw a jellyfish and a stingray. We were advised that the jellyfish were not dangerous, but the stingray clearly was! We wore snorkelling ‘ trainers’ – the seabed is scattered with small rocks and shells, so we recommend that if you plan to walk out, wear them!

At the Sheraton resort we eat at the Italian restaurant by the pool at night and Oriental 1001. We eat at Oriental 1001 on the first night and we were the only couple there by 9pm, which was pretty cool. The food was outstanding and the service was prompt and joyful. I would recommend visiting this place. The Italian restaurant was also very good, the food was prepared excellently and the service was typically brilliant. The view of the pool and hotel at night was beautiful.

We recommend getting a weeklong shuttle bus ticket from the front reception, which was very cheap and allows you to visit the marina and downtown as regular as you may wish. This bus came to the hotel every 15 / 20 minutes and was very quick on getting there.

The marina was quiet and very scenic – boats from all over the world were docked in the harbour - in all shapes, sizes and colours. It was safe to say we were in the company of several millionaires. Walking by the harbour observing the boats was a real treat! There were various restaurants in the marina – we eat at a Moroccan restaurant, Moods and Saigon – a classy Vietnamese place. The service at the Moroccan venue was outstanding, but the dishes we eat were rather bland. The food at Moods was bar food at best. Saigon was by the best restaurant we eat in whilst in El Gouna – the service was excellent, the menu was full of choice and the food was delicious!

We visited ‘Downtown’ on one night and found the location rather small, poorly lit and there were many men in small groups when we were there… This was a little intimidating as women are rarely seen in El Gouna (other than lady tourists). The shops were boutique-like – mainly selling strange Egyptian artefacts, rugs, pictures, etc. Some of the shop owners were very overbearing and one shop owner was very enthusiastic to hug my girlfriend! We ate in a place called Chinatown, which was very cheap and the food was tasty – the service was good too.

Hurghanda Airport was a truly distasteful experience. It was tragic that the holiday ended on such a note as the whole week had been dreamlike in El Gouna. My girlfriend was ill on the coach and had to rush to the toilet, but was cheered and whistled at by airport workers whom were sitting outside the ladies toilets. Check in was hellishly slow. When we passed through ‘security’, the man at the metal detector arch asked what was in my back pocket – I shown him my wallet. He then asked me to open it; I did this and closed it. He then asked me to open it again and touched the remaining Egyptian pounds I had and said in a bullish manner ‘ Is this for me’. I responded with an assertive ‘No’. I then looked to find two other ‘security’ men flirting and ogling my partner. Their behaviour was both abhorrent and indefensible. When my partner told me what they said I turned around and both men were staring in a provoking manner at me.

The fact that we came across several local women in seven days in El Gouna meant that the resort was essentially male dominated. The men in the Marina and downtown were almost constantly leering at my partner; we were told it was as she had blonde hair. Either way, the attention was not flattering and was most unwanted. If El Gouna is to transcend into a globally recognised 5 star resort then the men need to quickly shake off this ill-mannered behaviour as this does make the holiday tense and uncomfortable. An example of this was that my partner often had to walk in front of me instead of at my side as men were looking at her rear.

Blue Koral airlines. The flight to Hurghanda from Birmingham took 5 hours and 10 minutes and the flight back to Birmingham took 6 hours. The plane itself appeared very old and my partner’s seat on the flight out was damaged. Legroom was meagre. The food on both flights was not great, but adequate. There was no entertainment, no alcohol served, no duty free sold on board, none of these factors bothered us. However, these points are noteworthy to mention. It was rather cowardice of Thomas Cook to provide letters notifying and apologising to passengers of the above prior to flying when they would have known full well in advance. Why not just be honest? The flight attendants were all Egyptian in nationality and spoke good English and did an excellent job catering for the passengers.

All in all the Sheraton was superb – the food was excellent, the service was outstanding, the pool and grounds were immaculate. I hope to one day visit the hotel again with my partner (but with a double bed!). The marina was more appealing than downtown and was home to many great restaurants and some beautiful views and sunsets. The airport was the only real annoyance, which was due to primitive male behaviour…. I do not wish to end this review on a sour note so I will stress further how great the Sheraton is! Thank you to all the staff that made our holiday so special!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Ancient Sands Golf Resort & Residences
Hurghada Marriott Beach Resort
Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna
Panorama Bungalows Resort El Gouna

Been to Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna? Share your experiences!