“Very good but not great”

Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Hotel was clean and tidy but a bit tired in certain areas. Staff lovely on the whole. The buffet breakfast experience was very good but we did have poor service in the bar and La Piscina restaurant on one occasion. We didnt have any other evening meals in the hotel so cannot comment on those.
Family pool is ok but swimming pool is unheated and quite cold. Both pools are too small for size of hotel. However you can swim in the lagoons which was good.
We were upgraded to a better room overlooking the beach which was, again, good but not great.
On the whole our stay was comfortable and relaxed but there was no wow factor.
El Gouna is a good Egyptian resort. Downtown is ok and the marina is lovely for strolling around but there was hardly anyone around when we were there so not good for people watching. There is a good choice of restaurants in the marina and the White Elephant is a good option for Thai, in downtown area. We tried 5 different restaurants in the marina and all were ok or good, but again, none was great.
Its worth going snorkelling even if you dont dive. We went on 2 hr trip to reef and saw some loads of fish and a massinve turtle.
I would recommend geting a weekly bus pass at 20 egyptian £. We really made use of this.
Weaher was good, hot & sunny every day but the area is well known for kite surfing...there is a reason for that.......very windy !!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
MiramarResort, General Manager at Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2010

Dear Georgeand kosmo,
Thabk you for your review. The hotel looks a bit tired as the area suffered the worst rainstorm in 12 years. The hotel will be refreshed throughout the year.
El Gouna is a very popular detination, favored by many for its tranquility. I apologizer for the less than impressive service you encountered in the bar. We will investigate your comment and remedy immediately.
Please come again to see us.
Best regards,Ko van den Hil

Reviewed 30 March 2010

I have now stayed at this hotel four times, and each was enjoyable, with only a few problems. The first and last time I was with families - teenagers the first time, young kids the last. All enjoyed it, although the staff was particularly engaging with the younger kids - everyone from wait staff to dive and snorkle instructors. The other two times I was with my partner. The staff recognized me the last time and greeted me warmly.
The resort is quite attractive - both the buildings, inside and out, and the (fragrant) landscaping. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the daily housekeeping does a good job. The layout is such that the resort does not feel crowded. I also like the gym, with plenty of equipment, a trainer on site to help, good towels and set at a comfortable temperature.
The breakfast is good, offering something for everyone, and the lunches are fine too. I have not eaten dinner on the property.
The staff at the guest services center has also been generally helpful. Also, the staff arranged the Sheraton shuttle to the Hurghada airport (not free), which was quite convenient.
The problems I have had include: 1) having to ask for cots 3 times before getting them; 2) having to ask for the air conditioning to be fixed at least twice before it was tended to; 3) being given a room that was not quite prepared for guests - with the a/c not functioning and things missing such as a room service menu and 4) linguistic barriers making check-in and other requests challenging at times.
Overall, my experiences have been quite good, despite the issues, and I would definitely return again. Gouna itself is a nice spot, with access to plenty of activities and good restaurants.

1  Thank Wendelfarb
Reviewed 30 March 2010

This is our 2nd visit,& I'm sure it won't be our last...! This hotel & location ticks all the boxes...!
Staff are the best, breakfast very good, hotel could do with a bit of a paint job ( mainly the outside woodwork, weather fantastic. All in all a very nice place to stay
B & B is probaly the best option, as the Marina is only a short Tuk-Tuk ride away & there are plenty of resturants to chose from
I'm now thinking about next March

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Good to hear that Miramar still meets and exceeds your expectations on repeat visits.
We have more and more loyal repeat guests.
Looking forward seeing you again soon!
Best regards, Ko van den Hil

Reviewed 28 March 2010

Staff was very cheerful and helpful in this hotel
Room was good but not very luxurious
Breakfast was excellent

I definitely recommend this hotel to any traveler

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I have been visiting the resort since 2001. Each time I return I find the same excellent standards and many new inprovements to make my stay relaxing.
I book directly with the hotel, Mr Hamdy's good planning and organisation skills sees me transported from the airport to the resort in a complimentary safely in the mini bus.
On entering I get a warm welcome, handshake and a "welcome back" check in, is speedy and transported to my room(same room)which I have since 2005. There is a good standed of linen and towels and assesseries in the bathroom. Mohammed the room boy saw to it that I had clean linen each day and the bed looked lovely with flowers on it.
I spend my time on the 2000 beach. Nady is very attentive. He brings the beach towels and makes up the sun beds. He is verry attentive and from time to time comes and check whether I want the wind breaker moved to get some shade. Mohammad the beach waiter, is very attentive and always has a smile. I like Fanta and was amazed he remembered from my last visit that I like it at 11am, thats what I call service.
I always go on bed and breakfast so cannot comment on the dinners nor the bar as I do not drink alcahol, there are many restaurants in El Gouna where you can sample food from around the world. My favourite on site restaurant is the Oriental. I am not one who is overly keen on grilled food, but my favourite is Kebab Hala( not sure of the spelling) it is a Lebenese curry cooked in a clay pot and served with rice and egyptian bread, delicious. Room service has a good menue, and prompt service.
I am returning in November cant wait to enjoy the Hotel's hospitality.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Once again it was most enjoyable, if someone wants somewhere to stay to just rest and rejuvenate their body and mind then this is the place.
Have recommended the \sheraton mirimar and lots of our friends and family come here to stay and all feel the same way we do.

Thanks for everything Sheraton

Reviewed 22 March 2010

After very exciting, crowdy and chaotic days in Alexandria and Cairo Im so glad we decided to finish our Egyot tour at the Sheraton Miramar in El Gouna. This hotel offered everything we needed to relax our bodies & souls. Excellent architecture, style of palms & exotic flowers, lagunes, perfect buffet, very clean beaches and a very friendly staff at a high service level. From welcoming us, with warm face towels at the rception, to escorting us with a golf cart to our room, to giving us a phone call for asking if we were satisfied with the room, to many many other things.. this hotel left an excellent impression and will be defenitaley on of our future choices again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Gouna
Dawar El Omda
#8 of 18 in El Gouna
Ancient Sands Golf Resort & Residences
Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna

Been to Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna? Share your experiences!