“punching above their weight at a 5 star rating”

Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
north of england
“punching above their weight at a 5 star rating”
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Arrived back tonight (6th April)Hope this doesnt ramble too much . Positives are the staff, very helpful and lots of them. the resort is very clean and the gardens are lovely. Now for the bit that doesnt quite cut it as 5 star. the rooms are quite dated, chuncky pine furniture, no milk for tea and coffee although they say if you call they will deliver but could take 45 minutes due to how spread out the resort is!!!They have mini fridges in the room and they should place milk there and change every day.Its just not good enough to not be able to have a coffee 1st thing or a cup of tea in the afternoon.
The breakfast buffet is good with lots of choice but so ,so busy, we tried to stagger our arrival times but always busy with lots of children running around (its very geared to being a family resort). i was a bit anxious as coffee is self service from a very good machine but you then have to navigate your way back to your table through lots of running around children....an accident waiting to happen I'm afraid.
we ate in the Oriental 1001 and it was excellent, limited choice but really good standard of cooking. The bars are very expensive as are all areas that sell alchohol . never felt under any pressure to tip staff although they appriciated it if you did.
Beach very clean and well orginised, pool area too busy and the children dont use the childrens pool, they come to the main pool with their parents, cant blame them for that but they should create an adults only pool in the pool with the water polo nets. the pool area was far too busy and frantic for any relaxation to take place and as it was easter holidays so very busy,.
I'm a keen diver and I was really disappointed with the swimming/diving/snorkelling opportunities....of course not the hotels fault but the reef is 0.5 k from the beach and the coral is very damaged so limited marine life. Very exposed coast and the clue to the conditions might be in how popular it is with kite surfers ,......windy !!.
The marina area is great, quite upmarket with good restraunts, bars and a few art galleries.
It all depends on what you want from a holiday, we were a couple, no kids, like to explore and dive/snorkle so it didnt do it for us but the hotel staff cant change any of that. I've been to Sharm 4 times, twice to the Ritz carlton and twice to the Hyatt Regency and the Sheraton isnt up there with them although El Gouna is a much preferable resort to all the hassle and noise of Sharm. we enjoyed it but we wouldnt go back. As far as value for money is concerned, I fully expect to get what I pay for and I expected slightly more as its not a cheap week from the UK. Hope this helps.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scottishcarole
MiramarResort, General Manager at Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna, responded to this review, 21 April 2010
Dears,
We appreciate your review. Obviously you visited the hotel in the busy Easter period. Many families have visited our resort during the Easter period. The resort was very busy, but never crowded due to the spacious lay out.
I am sorry that we were unable to exceed your expectations.
Best regards, Ko

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ilminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Have just returned from a great week at the sheraton. Cannot fault the staff or the service. The hotel grounds are clean and the gardens are well tendered. Our room was a quite room overlooking one of the many lagoons, plenty of wardrobe space and a large comfy bed. We had a balcony with stunning views of the lagoon which was only let down by the peeling paint on the wood work. The breakfast menu was vast and catered for everyone. The beach areas where always clean and towels were quickly provided and laid on the sun loungers. The only critisim is all the beaches had young children on them, a beach just for adults would have been nice. The shuttle bus service is great, just buy a ticket at guest relations and you can go Downtown or the Marina all week and the bus comes every 15 mins. or just grab a Tok Tok . Can recommend the Thai in Downtown for a good meal at a reasonable price. The Marina is a bit more pricey but well worth a visit. Overall we had a loverly relaxing time with good weather, what more could you ask for!

cheltenham
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Hotel was clean and tidy but a bit tired in certain areas. Staff lovely on the whole. The buffet breakfast experience was very good but we did have poor service in the bar and La Piscina restaurant on one occasion. We didnt have any other evening meals in the hotel so cannot comment on those.
Family pool is ok but swimming pool is unheated and quite cold. Both pools are too small for size of hotel. However you can swim in the lagoons which was good.
We were upgraded to a better room overlooking the beach which was, again, good but not great.
On the whole our stay was comfortable and relaxed but there was no wow factor.
El Gouna is a good Egyptian resort. Downtown is ok and the marina is lovely for strolling around but there was hardly anyone around when we were there so not good for people watching. There is a good choice of restaurants in the marina and the White Elephant is a good option for Thai, in downtown area. We tried 5 different restaurants in the marina and all were ok or good, but again, none was great.
Its worth going snorkelling even if you dont dive. We went on 2 hr trip to reef and saw some loads of fish and a massinve turtle.
I would recommend geting a weekly bus pass at 20 egyptian £. We really made use of this.
Weaher was good, hot & sunny every day but the area is well known for kite surfing...there is a reason for that.......very windy !!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
MiramarResort, General Manager at Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna, responded to this review, 1 April 2010
Dear Georgeand kosmo,
Thabk you for your review. The hotel looks a bit tired as the area suffered the worst rainstorm in 12 years. The hotel will be refreshed throughout the year.
El Gouna is a very popular detination, favored by many for its tranquility. I apologizer for the less than impressive service you encountered in the bar. We will investigate your comment and remedy immediately.
Please come again to see us.
Best regards,Ko van den Hil
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I have now stayed at this hotel four times, and each was enjoyable, with only a few problems. The first and last time I was with families - teenagers the first time, young kids the last. All enjoyed it, although the staff was particularly engaging with the younger kids - everyone from wait staff to dive and snorkle instructors. The other two times I was with my partner. The staff recognized me the last time and greeted me warmly.
The resort is quite attractive - both the buildings, inside and out, and the (fragrant) landscaping. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the daily housekeeping does a good job. The layout is such that the resort does not feel crowded. I also like the gym, with plenty of equipment, a trainer on site to help, good towels and set at a comfortable temperature.
The breakfast is good, offering something for everyone, and the lunches are fine too. I have not eaten dinner on the property.
The staff at the guest services center has also been generally helpful. Also, the staff arranged the Sheraton shuttle to the Hurghada airport (not free), which was quite convenient.
The problems I have had include: 1) having to ask for cots 3 times before getting them; 2) having to ask for the air conditioning to be fixed at least twice before it was tended to; 3) being given a room that was not quite prepared for guests - with the a/c not functioning and things missing such as a room service menu and 4) linguistic barriers making check-in and other requests challenging at times.
Overall, my experiences have been quite good, despite the issues, and I would definitely return again. Gouna itself is a nice spot, with access to plenty of activities and good restaurants.

1 Thank Wendelfarb
Portsmouth,Hampshire
Reviewed 30 March 2010

This is our 2nd visit,& I'm sure it won't be our last...! This hotel & location ticks all the boxes...!
Staff are the best, breakfast very good, hotel could do with a bit of a paint job ( mainly the outside woodwork, weather fantastic. All in all a very nice place to stay
B & B is probaly the best option, as the Marina is only a short Tuk-Tuk ride away & there are plenty of resturants to chose from
I'm now thinking about next March

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Good to hear that Miramar still meets and exceeds your expectations on repeat visits.
We have more and more loyal repeat guests.
Looking forward seeing you again soon!
Best regards, Ko van den Hil
Egypt
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Staff was very cheerful and helpful in this hotel
Room was good but not very luxurious
Breakfast was excellent

I definitely recommend this hotel to any traveler

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Kent
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I have been visiting the resort since 2001. Each time I return I find the same excellent standards and many new inprovements to make my stay relaxing.
I book directly with the hotel, Mr Hamdy's good planning and organisation skills sees me transported from the airport to the resort in a complimentary safely in the mini bus.
On entering I get a warm welcome, handshake and a "welcome back" check in, is speedy and transported to my room(same room)which I have since 2005. There is a good standed of linen and towels and assesseries in the bathroom. Mohammed the room boy saw to it that I had clean linen each day and the bed looked lovely with flowers on it.
I spend my time on the 2000 beach. Nady is very attentive. He brings the beach towels and makes up the sun beds. He is verry attentive and from time to time comes and check whether I want the wind breaker moved to get some shade. Mohammad the beach waiter, is very attentive and always has a smile. I like Fanta and was amazed he remembered from my last visit that I like it at 11am, thats what I call service.
I always go on bed and breakfast so cannot comment on the dinners nor the bar as I do not drink alcahol, there are many restaurants in El Gouna where you can sample food from around the world. My favourite on site restaurant is the Oriental. I am not one who is overly keen on grilled food, but my favourite is Kebab Hala( not sure of the spelling) it is a Lebenese curry cooked in a clay pot and served with rice and egyptian bread, delicious. Room service has a good menue, and prompt service.
I am returning in November cant wait to enjoy the Hotel's hospitality.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
#10 of 18 in El Gouna
Hurghada Marriott Beach Resort
Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna
Steigenberger Golf Resort

Been to Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna? Share your experiences!