“Good Place”

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
Cairo, Egypt
“Good Place”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel was good, breakfast was the same as the 3 stars hotel there, pool was very small, and the beach Zaytona was not good, people there don't use the suitable swimming suits for the sea, the quality of food was excellent, service was not bad however they made us lose the way to our room in the beginning of our trip, but at the end it was fun and there location beside down was so good however the road to them was not that much good even for walking or for cars.
However i don't recommend going to there as you can use 3 stars hotel instead the only difference was in the room size.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fayrouz A
vlusci, General Manager at Hotel Sultan Bey Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Ms. Fayrouz,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. It was nice to read that you felt comfortable in our hotel and we do hope to have the opportunity welcoming you soon again at Sultan Bey Hotel.

Best regards

Maged Maher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Changed room after arriving late and we're given a so called upgrade to a pool view. This first room was a ground floor room that had a bedroom with a step down at the end of the bed. The shower was dirty and very tired. However the second room was ok, a little brighter, the bathroom did not smell of damp and had been recently painted. Food was generally very good with plenty of choice over the week we stayed. The staff are the hotels biggest asset, they are all very friendly and helpful. The pool was nice even if it was a little small. We got exactly what we paid for, a budget hotel that could do with renovation and a coat of paint. Don't forget the mosquito spray for you and the room as the hotel has well established gardens but this means a lot of watering and homes for the mozzies. The reception staff were exceptionally helpfull and deserve a special mention, thanks guys.

Room Tip: 210 was our replacement room and was OK
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John P
vlusci, General Manager at Hotel Sultan Bey Resort, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Mr. John,

It was a pleasure hearing from you and I would like to thank you for having shared your experience at Sultan Bey Hotel online. It seems we were able to meet your expectations and do hope to have the chance to welcoming you soon again in our hotel. For any further information you may need, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Once again thank you for your trust and all the best to you

Best regards

Chicago, Illinois USA & Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Been here many years ago and visited again with my family. I don't want to make this a long review, so here are the mixed review positives and negatives:

POSITIVES:
- GREAT, GREAT FOOD!!! Breakfast omelette station, Egyptian foul, hot breakfast items, sausages, yoghurts, juices, coffees, teas, etc. Dinner buffet was spectacular. Nothing tasted bad!!!
- PRICE!!! You can't beat this price here. For half board, we paid so little. It was well worth it. For this reason alone, I would come back here!!!!!
- LOCATION. It is in walking distance to Tamr Henna where you can find other restaurants, Vienna Cafe with great coffee and home-made ice cream, supermarket, and open cobblestone piazza. Also Downtown El Gouna is walking distance too.
- ZEYTOUNA BEACH. A short boat ride takes you to Zeytouna Island where there is a beach. It is not the finest sand, but nice lounge chairs and a pier you can walk all the way and do a little snorkeling on your own if you bring your own gear or buy some. There is beach bar and restaurant there too you can order and put it on your bill.

NEGATIVES:
- POOR SERVICE: took 10 minutes and 3 times we asked for drinks at the restaurant. Asked for another place setting for my daughter and they brought a baby booster chair, which she didn't need (4 years old) and only a plate. No utensils. My wife had to go get them from another table herself. Anytime we ask for something at the restaurant, it takes too long. They only take half of the dirty dishes and leave the other dirty dishes still on the table. Nobody at the beach helped us get cushions and arrange our lounge chairs. I had to do it all myself. Asked for housekeeping at 5pm and was told by the housekeeping staff that it's not possible. They came at 4pm while we were taking naps, and said either now or never. So we opted not to get it because we were resting from the day's heat. Good hotels will come back and still do it.
- CREDIT CARDS BEWARE: I used my U.S. bank visa card. When they told me to sign it, I saw that it had automatically converted the Egyptian Pounds currency bill into U.S. dollars. It said in fine print that "I accept that I have been given a choice in currency and accept the bank foreign exchange rate." The rate was really bad. It charged 3% extra for the conversion rate. Since my card has no foreign exchange fees, I wanted them to just charge me in Egyptian Pounds. But they wouldn't let me. They said the machine won't let them. Finally they admitted that they have an agreement with their bank that they would automatically choose the foreign currency for any foreign bank cards so that the bank can earn their 3%. I told them this is very wrong. The receipt itself says that I have been given a choice of currency when in fact I didn't. I thought this was the bank's bad business practice, but now I think it is Sultan Bey's problem. They should not deal with a bank like this and it is actually not legal. I hope the management reads this and understands that they are not allowed to do this. It is deceptive and just wrong!!!
- NO KIDS or ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR: Last time we were here, there was an activities coordinator and kids club coordinator. This time, nobody at all. It made the atmosphere a bit boring during the days. It is the bad economy where the hotel must cut down on costs, so you must know this.
- NOT REALLY FOUR-STAR HOTEL: This hotel has often been advertised as a four-star hotel. It is in fact a 3-star, I believe. Nobody greeted us when we pulled up in our car. We had to unload our luggage on our own. There is no fitness room. No spa. No coffee or tea-making facilities in your room. No baby-sitting services. No concierge. No activities coordinator. No shampoo bottles or mini soap bars. Just a soap dispenser hanging on a wall like you find in public restrooms. No ATM machine on premises. Most of these are no big deal for me, but I'm just saying this is not 4-star quality.

However, considering all these factors, we would still return here again because of the great deal in the bargain and price. We love the location, and we like the Zeytouna Beach. And their food is really good. Hats off to the chef :-)

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have trouble going up and down stairs. There are no elevators. If you have kids...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank cairoegypt
vlusci, General Manager at Hotel Sultan Bey Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Mr. Peter,

I first of all would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at Sultan Bey Hotel on Trip Advisor. All your comments are of a high value to us, as we consider them a very useful tool to maintain or improve our customer service whenever it is needed. It seems we were not able to meet your expectations totally and I would like to apologize for any inconvenience cause from our side. After having investigated your concerns, I am glad to provide you hereafter with our feedback :

Our bank recommends our guests using their credit card to choose paying in their own currency. This option will actually reduce the international transactions fees, which has no relationship with the foreign exchange rate. It is actually a financial advantage for you. However note that the guest has the right to choose the other option and pay in the local currency if, for any reason, he prefers so. This is definitely our mistake that we did not explain properly both options. This was an infortunate misunderstanding and I am sorry for it. A specific training to our Front Office team will be provided to avoid any possible future similar situation. I stay at your entire disposal should you need to talk about it in a more detailed way.

I do hope having the opportunity welcoming you and your family soon again in Sultan Bey Hotel and, once again, thank you for your time.

Kind regards

October 6, Al Jizah, Egypt
Reviewed 19 May 2014

i stayed in sultan bey resort and it is really a lovely hotel although it is a bit small but we liked rooms interior as it is v. unique. food was okay , pool area was nice , staff are friendly . i do love our stay and would love to go back again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
vlusci, General Manager at Hotel Sultan Bey Resort, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Ms. Reham,

Thank you very much for your time and nice comment. I am happy to read that you felt good at our hotel and that we were able to meet your expectations. On behalf of the whole team, I would like to thank you for your trust and stay at your entire disposal for any other possible question.

Looking forward to your next visit, I remain,

with best regards

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Can not describe our stay in this hotel more than "Fantastic" . Although the hotel is not designed for kids entertainment but my two little wrecking machines had a blast , we all had a holiday hard to forget , the main positive take away is that I do not need to look any further for my next holiday .. Sultan bey is the one for the coming few holidays

At the hotel doors we were nicely welcomed by Ghafar and Galal , lovely 2 ambassadors , they just seen my elderly mum and in 2 secs a wheal chair is waiting for her which was given to us till the end of our stay

Restaurants team : Botros , Hakam , Ojonea you did an outstanding job , at my first dinner I was surprised how guests are warmly saying goodbye to you and thriving to take pictures with you , only got the answer going through the days , Botros, I have seen you working like happy bee specially when some rain came down and you had to move all of us along with the tables and chairs to inside the restaurant in few minutes , Thank you . Mr Khaled well done for managing such an inspiring team , was impressed to see you finishing arranging dinner late at night and first one to greet me at breakfast the following morning.

Overall , the place and the team exceeded my expectation, best value holiday I had .

If you looking for ground floor room , ask for 304 and 305 , stunning view of the lagoon ,flowery trees and palm trees surrounding the balcony with a relaxing environment .

Cons : was not expecting to get in-room tea and coffee service chargeable , although it is very reasonable 2 euros a day. Had to describe I only need a kettle for kids milk at night , then got it for free .
WiFi service is chargeable 60 LE an hour ( 120 LE a day I guess), bit pricey but was good excuse to switch off my mobile data access and enjoy my holidays.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
vlusci, General Manager at Hotel Sultan Bey Resort, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Mr. Shady,

It was really nice to read about your experience at our hotel and I would like to thank you very much for having taken the time to share it online. All our guests' comments are of a high value, as we consider them a very important tool to keep or improve our customer service whenever it is needed.

Obviously we have been able to meet your expectations, which is great and your kind words will be transmitted to the whole team. We stay at your entire disposal for any other question, as well as any wish for your next holiday, you may have and we all look forward to welcoming you soon again at Sultan Bey.

Once again, thanks a lot for your trust and see you very soon hopefully.

Kind regards

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our second visit to the Sultan Bey. It's in a great location close to the village centre, with a lovely pool and bathing area on the lagoon. We chose "pool view" rooms (210, 211). Avoid rooms with numbers in the 400's - these back onto the nightclub next door...
Staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet (especially the kids who loved the freshly-cooked pancakes!), and wandered into the village for dinner- there are several nice restaurants within 5 mins walk. Shuttle boat to the beach is fun, and the snorkeling is great. All in all, a great place. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with numbers in 400's which back onto the nightclub next door. Rooms in 200's w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
vlusci, General Manager at Hotel Sultan Bey Resort, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Mr. Nick,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to share your experience at our hotel here on Trip Advisor. All your comments are of a high value to us, as we consider them a very useful tool to measure our customer service and take the necessary action whenever it is necessary. I am happy to read that you and your family have had a nice time with us and do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you soon again in Sultan Bey.

Should you have any other question, please feel free to contact us at any time. I thank you once again for your trust and remain in the meantime,

with sunny regards

Egypt
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have enjoyed my stay in the hotel.. its cozy, clean and you feel like home.. food is good but could have been better; service is amazing and staff are friendly.. more care should be given to pool's cleanness.. I do recommend to stay while visiting gouna..

Room Tip: choose the rooms with pool view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends