We got back last Friday (24th Jan) after 2 weeks at this hotel. We loved it! The weather was great, clear blue skies with temperatures every day in the mid to high 20s and a light to moderate breeze.
We gave our travel agent instructions to find us a sun and golf holiday to get away from the British winter and this place was perfect. The hotel is 5* - those that criticise on this site obviously don't know that hotel star ratings are determined by the facilities on offer (check out any hotel rating guide - try superpages.com) not an individuals opinion of the quality of those facilities. Having said that, in my opinion the quality is good!
Our room was spacious and clean, with all the things we needed (there's never enough hangers, so I always bring lightweight cheap plastic ones), comfortable bed, shower room, tv, etc, etc and huge balcony with comfortable furniture.
The buffet restaurant was really nice, without that horrid 'canteen' atmosphere that we've found in other similar hotels. The breakfast menu was perfectly fine and just as expected. Dinner was excellent! We found a few quiet cosy and romantic tables for two looking out towards the pool most evenings for dinner. The 14 day rotating themed menu was the best we've come across. I recall delicious roast duck with orange sauce, fabulous roast lamb and lovely fish dishes. There's always plenty of fresh salads, mixed salads and fresh steamed vegetables. The dessert selections was also divine. The staff are friendly and helpful and it only takes a couple of days for them to remember what table you prefer and what wine you want with your dinner. We tried the Rotisserie Restaurant on evening. It's just across the lagoon, a 10 minute stroll or a few minutes on the shuttle boat. It was nice for a change of scene but so quiet it lacked any atmosphere and the food was just OK. We tried 'dine-around' one evening and went to a lovely restaurant at the marina. Because you have to book and get a voucher from the hotel, we hadn't seen the menu and with only 60 LE each that would only cover the cheapest item on the menu, we just went for it and had a very nice meal that cost us a lot more than expected. We'll know next time. We also went for a quiet lunchtime drink at Puddleduck, Downtown and a simple lunch at the marina just to check out all the fantastic boats!
My husband loved the golf! He'd booked only 3 rounds and was tempted to add an extra game. The course surrounds the hotel and is well kept. I'm told "it's not difficult, but it's long".
So, overall we thought this was one of our best holidays (see my other reviews if you want to know what I'm comparing it against). For a winter sun get-away it's perfect. Only 5 hours flight time from the UK and almost guaranteed weather. We're very seriously thinking about going same time next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated at one of El Gouna's lagoons, in the middle of an 18-hole golf course, the luxurious Steigenberger Golf Resort expresses a mixture of modern architecture with a reflection of regional tradition. The hotel grounds overlook the championship golf course, lagoons, pool and lush gardens. Offering the finest cuisine and excellent service, the hotel caters to the sophisticated golfer and vacationer. Its close distance to the down town and marina of El Gouna invites to have a walk and discover El Gouna's facilities, restaurants, sports and water excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Steigenberger Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Golf Hotel El Gouna
- Steigenberger Hotel El Gouna
- Steigenberger Resort El Gouna