“It is the most wonderful hotel in Hurghada and of course in El-Gouna”

Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
Cairo, Egypt
“It is the most wonderful hotel in Hurghada and of course in El-Gouna”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Yes....It is the most wounderful hotel not only in El-Gouna...but also in Hurghada. The staff is really friendly, helpful and understanding....The hotel manager is really the right one....If you like swimming you can swim in the pools(4), the lagons or the sea....Kite surfing is great there....you will enjoy it a lot......The hotel is very spacious.....You will enjoy dinning a lot also.
El-Gouna ...is a great closed touristic compound....a lot of fun there... It is very safe and clean....suitable also for diving lovers and who enjoy bare nature......
I used to go there at least once per year.
I hope you will enjoy your stay in Movenpick.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Osageo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reading
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The weather was perfect, the staff were very friendly, accomodation spotless and location ideal.

However, both my partner and I were struck down by the dreaded 'delhi belly' for several days which put a real downer on things, especially as we pushed the boat out and went AI for the week. I am currently 23 weeks pregnant and so having stomache pains and spending quite a considerable time on the toilet and nursing my partner at the same time was quite upsetting. Having spoken to numerous people about their trips to Egypt we discovered that most people had experienced dodgy bellies, but we decided to gamble and book it due to the good reviews and high star rating. We also prepared ourselves with anti-bac hand sanitizer and were 'picky' with what we ate. This sounds a little over the top but considering my pregnancy we really didn't want to chance it.

We went on a lagoon tour from the hotel which only cost £3.50 ish each. It only lasted an hour but was interesting and well worth the money.

Had a great great spa experience, the massage I had was amazing, in fact on of the best. The spa staff were lovely and 'Beer' my masseuse was very good at her job. I cannot fault the service they provided at all. Thank you!

Please don't let the following put you off your stay at Movenpick, just book your excursions wisely:

We booked a snorkelling trip with Colona 'Hidden Price' Diving. We boarded the bus outside the hotel and drove a short distance to the marina. We took our seats on the boat and were informed that we were going to be cruising for 2 hours to reach our diving/snorkelling area. This journey seemed to last forever! After getting to the spot we were given our briefing and then told about the cost of hiring a wetsuit, wouldve been quite handy to know this before hand as we had not budgeted for this.
The snorkel was for 45mins, we followed an instructor around like sheep, nothing was pointed out for us and on our return to the boat we were told we had to purchase 'fish charts' so as to recognise what fish we had actually seen!
After this we then sat on board for an hour whilst the 'chef' finished cooking our dinner. This was the hottest time of day approx midday and we were all cooking....not just the chef! I decided I couldn't eat the dinner as being pregnant I wasn't feeling up to it. I informed the instructor of this on our journey out and she told me ubruptly that as they had catered for me I had to have it, which meant I'd also have to pay for it.

I could not face the second snorkel as I felt a bit sick at this point, when everyone returned to the boat we then started our long 2 hr journey back. We must've been on the slowest boat ever as we were being over taken by everyone, even the fishing boats. It was very windy on the way back and not having the wetsuits provided meant my partner was shivering the whole way back.

There was a short presentation (after all monies for lunch, wet suit hire, beverages and snacks had been collected of course) to congratualate those that had accomplished their diving achievements, nothing was mentioned about the snorkellers, it just felt like we were there to boost the companies finances.

It was such a shame, we were so looking forward to our full day out snorkelling which in actual fact turned out to be an hour and a half and heatstroke!

Room Tip: Stayed in Cluster 7. Stepped out of room and onto poolside opposite lagoon. It's a quiet area of...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
MPHotelEgypt, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your visit. We are pleased to know, that you have enjoyed your stay in principal and that the accommodation, the cleanliness and the service provided by our employees. At the same time, we regret that you had an unpleasant snorkeling experience with the ‘Colona’ Diving Center. This diving center is actually located outside the hotel. For easier access, better convenience, and in order to ensure a high quality service we always recommend our hotel guest to use the Diving Center associated to the hotel and located on the hotel grounds ‘Emperor Divers’. We wish you all the best and hope to be able to welcome you for another occasion with your growing family. Best regards, Brigitte Gobran
london
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Being half Egyptian i have travelled around Egypt somewhat.

Just after my father passed away we decided to go to his home land and explore.

So, I travelled with my mum, wife and 2.5 year old son.

We didnt want Sharm (Over run by rude eastern Europeans depending on where you stay) as we had been numerous occasions. Although the Hyatt Regency is top spot there.

We arrived, and instantly were amazed at how relaxed and beautiful everything looked!...

Firstly, if you have been to sharm or hurghada you will know the eastern block are quite rude and have zero manners...you don't get this in El Gouna. They have banned Eastern tourist boards there!!...The only encounter we had was when we went back to the airport.

The hotel is great, food, service, location everything. We had a suite which was facing the lagoon and was a very good size for the 4 of us. Also had a walk in changing/wardrobe.

Evenings are spent by the pier and twice a week they have a show and numerous restaurants cater by having BBQ etc. Good turnout and worth the visit.

For kids they have a play club which my son loved and down the road they had a horse/donkey riding centre which he adored!

There is a lovely bar at the end of the pier but not a clubbing holiday if thats what you are looking for. If you are after amazing scenery, good food and to relax this is it.

Costs there are like in sharm. Not expensive at all.

Getting around is simple. They had tuk tuks. very cheap and are used as taxis.

I will be back. I loved every second of it...

OH!...The most amazing thing was how clear the water was! It was like the maldives!..
100s of kite surfers go there and its great to watch. Take your snorkel gear!
I went diving and swam for 5 mins with 6 wild dophins! AMAZING!

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade on arrival! The suite was great.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank above
United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Yes this place is just outstanding! Been many times over the last few years and again and again it just delivers everytime! Great staff members there, from the pool boys Ezzat and Bahaa, to the British GM John Wood. All friendly and helpful. Also diving centre very nice, hi to Tyson! Great restaurants, beach perfect and overall value for money - 5 star experiance with views you can not get anywhere else in Egypt. Miss you Mr Hany from the Spa.

Room Tip: Rooms over by the infinity pool are a walk from the main complex, but lovely and quiet.
Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank josephspendlove
MPHotelEgypt, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your visit and we are very honoured to be scored ‘Number One Hotel’ by your goodself. Rest assured, that your compliments have been forwarded to all our team members, including our General Manager Jean-Pierre Leclerc. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon for another visit. Best regards, Brigitte Gobran, Public Relations Manager
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I went on a 1 week vacation with my family (13 people) in the beginning of April 2012.
It was the best week ever!
We traveled All-Inclusive witch was SO worth it for our group.

The hotel area is quite big witch is a good thing for most people but for elderly people it might be harder to find their way in the big labyrinth of hallways and footpaths.

The hotel has 3 big pool-areas and is surrounded by sandy beaches. There are also a couple of lagoons. Each pool area has its own pool side bar that offers a variety of small meals for lunch. The drink list for the All-Inclusives is not very long but there are enough choices for all generations.

The breakfast buffet is amazing at the Palavrion. You can choose between regular eggs and bacon, breads with cheese or go for the whole set with more exotic tastes like we did. 5-6 types of juices every morning.

Lunch can be eaten at the poolbars or at Il limone that offers a bit of an Italian twist.

The fish restaurant on the area is not included in the All-Inclusive but some of us tried it one evening but the service and the food was not as good as expected.
Il Limones diner service was almost the same menu as at lunch so not very exiting.
We tried the Thai-food one evening but ended up having very upset stomachs all night.
SO we ate most dinners at the Palavrions dinner buffet. There you can eat whatever you want, how much of it as you like. The best service defenately in all the restaurants was at the Palavrion and the poolbar at cluster 7.

The hotel area is vast and clean. The rooms are big and the aircon worked great. As we lived in Cluster 7, Third floor we had a roomattendant called Mahmoud. He took very good care of us and our rooms all week. He could be found at the site every day between 8-17 and helped with all kinds of stuff. We all loved this young man.

The activities at the hotel are great. You can kite-surf, wind surf, swim, rent peddle boats and canoes and bicykles. You can play beachball, tennis, petangue. They have gyms, spa´s and so on. The MegaFun team makes sure to ask everybody if they want to join in the activities of the day. Adham reminded us every day of the aqua gym, arabic-language klass and other programmes at the site. Adham also performed at the Palavrion evening show with his fakir show. Amazing.

We took walks to Downtown El Gouna (take s about 15 minutes if you walk slowly). The town is calm and beautiful. We did some shopping there and took the TokTok ride back to the hotel. The TokToks cost 5 Egyptian pounds always within ElGouna.
In town we met a guy that offered us a snorkeling tour. For 15 euros per person we got a small boat with two guides for our group. They picked us up at the hotel and drove us 5 minutes to the boat. We spent 3 hours out on the reefs snorkeling and swimming. The guides fed the fish so we could get really close, even the elderly people that only were swimming by the boat.
This tour was cheaper than the one offered at the hotel and had an older and slower boat but that did not disturb us at all. We had a great time and the guides made us feel at home by toying with us and teasing and joking..

As we where there for the Easter celebration hundreds of locals arrived for the weekend. This was not very nice. They crowded the hotel. Luckily we lived far away from the main clusters but they still crowded up all the pool areas. The biggest problem we had with them was that they had no hygiene at the dinner. They touched all foods barehanded, tasted foods with the serving spoons. This however is not a minus for the hotel. They changed serving dishes and foods rapidly to make it as hygienic for the rest of us as soon as possible.

We did not want to come back home.
I will try to make it back again next year

Helsinki
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Me and a group of my relatives spent last week, 9.4-16.4.2012, at Moevenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna. Overall the town was very clean, the people nice, and systems like transport worked well. I liked the fact that the Hotel area was big, there was a lot to discover. The 5 min walks from cluster 7 where we stayed, to the breakfast and dinner buffet at Palavrion was relaxing. The buffet was a bit crowded during Easter, when a lot of Egyptians came to spend the holiday, but it was nice to meet local people as well.
There were a lot of nice activities to attend at the hotel area. I for example enjoyed the Aqua gym a lot (arranged two times every day). I only discovered the fun in the activities a bit too late, it took a couple of days to get used to the heat, get a grip of the big hotel area and to simply understand to take advantage of the several activities offered. What really made my trip was Adham, a great Egyptian young guy, who arranges activities, entertains people, and makes sure everyone is happy. Thank you Adham.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We spent 7 days at the Moevenpick hotel in El Gouna beginning of April.
First of all, let me tell you that if Thomas Cook is a bad travel operator, I do recommend Fritidsresort (departure from Stockholm): organization is great and, most important, their planes are B767-300 with good food and a LOT of space for your legs!
El Gouna: great resort location, the Moevenpick is located in the resorts sections where other hotels like the ClubMed are. It seems like the Moevenpick is the largest.
We booked the half board rather than all inclusive (which we usually do) and this was definitely the way to go: their all inclusive is over priced and even without limitation on half board, you end-up paying much less (especially if you plan a day trip to Luxor or Cairo).
Let’s share the liked/disliked:
Liked:
- The first 4 days at the hotel where half of the 585 rooms were occupied and we could fully enjoy the large complex for us. See comment below for the last 2 days of the trip…
- The day trip to Luxor: it’s definitely worth waking-up at 4am and coming back around 11pm. Ask for lunch box at the reception the day before
- The snorkeling 3h trip outside the hotel. Coming on the Red Sea and not seeing the corals and beautiful fishes would be sad! Recommended for all ages
- Rooms are spacious and nicely arranged
- The food at the main restaurant was good and diverse
- The Fish restaurant, nice food (30% off their “catch of the day” every Thursday) and nice sea view
Disliked:
- The last weekend where 100s of local Egyptians invaded the hotel to celebrate Easter… The 585 rooms were overbooked (they even had to send guests to another hotel!). This really left a bad taste on this 5 star hotel …
- The longchairs were quite old,
- Service was not at the level of a European 5 star hotel, especially in the multiple restaurants… this could have been the same in a local 3 stars.
- The Wifi network: DO NOT buy the local Telecom WiFi card, their system works only from time to time and with very low bandwidth. No idea if the problem comes from their local installation or the local Telecom provider but you’d better use your Data Roaming 3G network from time to time rather than spend any money on their Wifi.
- The Thai restaurant: Not good
- The lack of musical atmosphere or entertainment in general. This might be a personal taste but I prefer a little background music when I am on vacation.

2 Thank Nick_Larson