“Moevenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna”

Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We spent 5 days in the hotel. Rooms are newly renovated with nice terrace. The food was excellent. There are also a nice area for the kids to play and bicycles to rent. However; the hotel is so big so you have to walk a lot to reach from one place to another, golf car is always optional. The sea is very shallow so it ended up we just used the pool.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank LamiaMaguid
MPHotelEgypt, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2016

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with other travelers here on this platform. We are happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you left the hotel with a positive impression. We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon for another visit.
Your Moevenpick Resort El Gouna Team

Reviewed 6 May 2013

It was very amazing. The weather can't be better and it's really beautiful to relax there. Also the food is delicious and the personal is very smart. If you wanna do sport or other funny things the Animationteam is perfect to do somthing for your body and have fun. Also the show in the evening was memorable and I hope I can come again as fast as possible. Beautiful Place, Smart People, Unforgettable Holidays, like in a paradise.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank michelle_weeber
Amanda S, Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for your excellent review. We are truly delighted to read that your stay has left you with unforgettable memories giving you the feeling you were in Paradise. This is a genuine vote of confidence and shows us that we must be doing things right.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon for your next relaxing holiday at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna. With best regards, Amanda Soundy, Executive Office Secretary.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

We just returned from a weeks stay with all-inclusive in Moevenpick in El Gouna. Prior to the trip I researched the hotel/ area thoroughly - and was awaiting the trip to El Gouna with huge expectations. We were looking for a hotel that was friendly for children (we were travelling with a 4 and 6 year old) i.e a nice beach with some sand (rocks were excluded) and a warm pool. For the grownups we were looking for nice surroundings and good food. And even though all the above were highly recommended by many Tripadvisors on this website - in reality I was disappointed in some matters.

Room: Beautiful! We knew the hotel was "old" but was in the process of refurbishment - and we received a beautiful two level family room. It was spacious, the kids loved being alone upstairs (the second floor for the kids even had a child protection gate so that they would not fall down the stairs at night), and downstairs we had a king size, VERY comfortable bed. Big bathroom. A beautiful balcony with comfortable armchairs in which you could enjoy the evenings in one your children are in bed. One thing could be improved - more storage place (a wardrobe/ shelves) could be provided.
We stayed in cluster 7 - far away from the main building but close to the only heated pool - which in the end turned out well because we did not have to walk far to the beach and pool.

Restaurants: how can anyone on tripadvisor write that there is good food in this Moevenpick? It was less than fair! The choice was poor - compared to a couple of other 5 star Egyptian hotels I have stayed in - there was less than half the choice as in the other hotels. The taste - I know most chefs season the dishes to the average pallet - but here - most of the dishes were without taste. I had to use tons of salt, pepper and some sort of harrissa to give it some taste.
Children menu - very poor choice - thank god my kids eat "grownup" food as they would have to eat spaghetti Bolognese, fish fingers or chicken nuggets (fried so much that they were dry and tasteless) all week long!
Choice of restaurants: in the AI formula you can eat breakfast in the main restaurant only, lunch - there are two pool restaurants to choose from - one is close to cluster 7 and offers around 20 tables, the other - close to the main pool, offers another 20 tables. That’s it! We were saying in the hotel in low season and even though - when it came to lunch time (13 - 14) we had to "hunt: for a table i.e. check every couple of minutes if a table was free. A couple to times we had to wait for around 20 minutes. I cannot even imagine how this works when the hotel is full! The two pool restaurants offer a menu choice of food....very limited - again taking into consideration that this is a five star hotel.
Dinner - the main restaurant was the only choice in the AI formula. The Limone restaurant, fish and Thai restaurants were available - but paid additionally (wow - they give a 50% rebate to the AI people :-) ). We chose a Thai dinner one time - which was worth the money - as it was good - but scarce. The best choice was the fish restaurant and the lobster/ shrimp night and a "all you can eat" formula. We had a lovely dinner in a very nice, right on the beach restaurant. The people working in the restaurant were gave us the nicest evening during the whole stay. Thank you.

Kids club/ kids playgrounds etc.: the location of the kids clubs is a joke: it is situated near the main pool (which is NOT heated), beside the pool restaurant, beside the Thai restaurant. So when you sit down to relax for lunch you have kids screaming their heads off beside you. One day we were just finishing lunch and the kids club just opened after lunch. Our boys went there and wanted to play/ draw.... The lady there asked us how old they were - I told her 4 and 6. She responded that the 6-year-old one could stay but not the 4-year one, as the kids club is for kids 5 and above. I told here we were sitting 5 meters from the entrance to the club and I will be watching my boy. To my greatest surprise - she said no! She told me I had to sit with him inside the club! Absolutely ridiculous! Anyway - he went inside, looked around the club - it was a hole - dark and not very friendly looking - and my son said its awful here and he didn't want to stay there!
The playground is in a totally different location – far away from the kids club in a very nice and green area. There was a trampoline – which was nice and a wooden house with a slide, some swings etc. And to my total surprise – the wooden house was broken. It was impossible to climb to the highest level as the roof of the top level was broken – the ropes were loose so it was dangling down and blocking the entrance to the top level. I am attaching photos of this as this SHOULD not be happening in a 5 star hotel!

Beach, surroundings, garden:
The garden is beautiful – fully frown, well kept – something very nice to see in the sandy red sea region.
The lagoons – they are really worth going to El Gouna. They offer beautiful views, its nice to swim in them, but be aware – although they seem sandy, the sand is almost as hard as a rock, so kids cannot build their loved sand castles.
Seaside beach – it turned out we came at a time when the tide was at its lowest. Part of the seaside – the part close to the dive center – was really nice and sandy – and the low tide opened up more sand. But the part of the beach near the main pool and down to the kite station – was rocky. This would not be a big problem as the rocks were round and you could not really hurt yourself even without shoes, but there were broken bricks among the rocks, really sharp and dangerous. We also found glass! So even though the beach was really clean and well maintained – the staff should look into the rocks and clear away the bricks and glass, as I cannot imagine that the tide brought them to the shore.

Kite center - I would like to thank the kite center staff and especially Pierre for giving me the opportunity to try a new sport - kiting. The hotel has a beautiful shallow lagoon where I had a couple of lessons. And even though my short stay did not permit me to fully enjoy the sport, I thank Pierre for showing me that it is a beautiful and fun sport! Thanks!

To sum up – our stay was pleasant, but because I had such high expectations and comparing it to our last years stay in Steigenberger in Hurghada, overall I would rank the hotel as medium. It seems that the management is not looking at what could be achieved with this beautiful hotel – with only a few alterations. And one last remark (as I am a marketer) – I expected a Moevenpick hotel to serve Moevenpick yoghurts for breakfast, lunch and dinner so that when we go back home we would go and buy more of them. But to my dismay – not even one little Moevenpick yoghurt. And Moevenpick ice-cream – served in the AI programmed from 9 – 17. What bad PR to force guest to pay additionally after 17 hours! Shame for Mr. Moevenpick!

Room Tip: Cluster 7 is close to the only heated pool, close to the lunch restaurant, quiet but about 7-10 minu...
2  Thank Joanna P

Dear Guest
Your Moevenpick Resort El Gouna Team

Reviewed 3 May 2013

It was already the 5th time in El Gouna Movenpick and I still don't have enough. Since the last time, there have been changed the arrangement of the rooms - nice!!! Even the hotel was 100 % boocked, there is not the impression that there is crowded!!! I spen really nice time with my friends. I'd like to send speciall greetings to Megafun entertainment team. They really do proper job. They take care about everybody. When you sit allone, for sure they will provide you with the perfect company. Thyank you very much !!!!!!
Pawel from Poland (for TITO Poliska :) )

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pawel B

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your excellent review, we are delighted to know you have enjoyed your 5th visit with us. Your compliments have been forwarded to our Animation Team who are a great asset to our Hotel. Looking forward to welcoming you back for your 6th visit in the near future. With best regards, Amanda Soundy, Executive Office Secretary.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

My first holiday away with just my 15 year old daughter - I was a little concerned prior to going that being two females, we may be harrassed, but this was not the case at all. All the staff were extremely courteous and friendly. We had a great week and felt safe at all times. The resort was extremely comfortable and clean. The rooms were of a high standard and the restaurants were good. The town is very close, just a tuk tuk ride away which was very cheap. The only critisism is that there was no free wifi anywhere in the hotel, which was not what was advertised. The cost was around £60 a week, which seems extremely high and I refused to pay. Fortunately we did not need the internet, but there are bars/restaurants in town which have free wifi should you need it.

1  Thank angela l

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice review, we are delighted to know that you had a fantastic holiday and you and your daughter felt safe at all times.
Our Internet is provided by an outside company and unfortunately we have no control over the prices. On the web the internet provider will sell the internet at their own rack rates costing as you rightly said £60 a week, you can however buy directly from the Hotel at a weekly cost of L.E 360.
Hoping to welcome you back soon for another visit at the Moevenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna. With best regards, Amanda Soundy, Executive Office Secretary.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

Had been staying there in April ,
Room Quality is very good , bedding was okay , Room View was nice ( Superior Room )
The Only thing that bothered me is the Cleanliness of the room and bathroom and then i found BUG in the Bath Gel !!!!! ...i cant believe that a 5* Hotel would do that !
Other than that , Beach was very poor , Stones , not a good sand and the Sea is not for swimming , just to watch or Surf , Sail ...
Swimming Pools are far from eachother , i knew on my last day that they have a warm swimming pool on the left side , ..this was not said when i checked in .

Food Quality was amazing , thats the only thing i remember good about the Hotel .

1  Thank W0OkieE
Amanda S, Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We regret to know your stay was not entirely up to your expectations, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
We have taken note of your constructive comments and will ensure that the corrective actions are taken, wherever needed.
With best regards, Amanda Soundy, Executive Office Secretary.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Have just returned from spending our honeymoon at the Movenpick and had a fantastic tme.
We have visited on numerous occasions and each time has been wonderful. We were immediately welcomed as returning guests.
Our room had been recently refurbished and was stunning, with a view over the lagoon.
The service from all staff was excellent and the food was lovely. It was a wonderful place to spend our honeymoon and we are looking forward to returnining ASAP

Room Tip: Block 4 has recently been refurbished and I believe block 8 is in the process of refurbishment
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your excellent review, we are delighted to know you had an enjoyable Honeymoon and that the room and view, the staff service and food were all up to your expectations.
Wishing you and your wife all the best as a married couple and look forward to welcoming you back very soon to the Moevenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna. With best regards, Amanda Soundy, Executive Office Secretary.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Gouna
Three Corners Rihana Inn
#18 of 18 in El Gouna
Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna
Three Corners Rihana Resort

Been to Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna? Share your experiences!