“All round really good experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in El Gouna
Cairo, Egypt
“All round really good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

Location was great, staff were very friendly, rooms were great, and I had a great wi-fi connection. We tried food at a few places - all were good.

I wouldn't rate this as an extraordinary experience, but an all round good experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I'm judging this based on it advertising it self as being a 5-star hotel.

Location:
Well its pretty close to downtown, about 12 min walk. Otherwise there is a 5 LE per day bus that goes around El Gouna every half hour. I've been to El Gouna before, its nice but I wont be going for a long time. Its boring. There is no real Egypt in El Gouna, but for all Europeans that just want some sun and dont want to experience culture, welcome!

Rooms:
Nice rooms, clean, chic and modern.

Service:
I hate when you get to a 5-star hotel and no one comes to get your bags and you have to wonder where to check in. When I arrive I want my bags picked up directly! Bad check in service. Overall nothing special about the service.

Atmosphere and ambience:
Relatively nice garden-hotel. The hotel complex is filled with flowers, pools, lagoons, sunbeds etc. It's huge! However it cant compare to the Steigenberger in Hurghada. There are no jacuzzis, no hammocks, no lazy river, no outside sauna, pretty much nothing of the kind. Big bad.

Restaurants:
We ate at the Thai restaurant once and it was overpriced for being Egypt and so cheap with food. We left pretty fast, really not pleased. We ate at Il Limone several times and it was very good! Breakfast was great! Lots to choose from and fresh milkshakes of different kinds every day. They dont have any cafe service in the lobby. You cant even get coffee. Thats a negative, in most hotels you like to enjoy some people spoting with a coffee in the lobby. A big plus is that every afteroon they offer melted chocolate and som fruits to dip. They also have hot chocolate and more. Everything is complimentary.

Pool:
The "heated" pool was not very heated. In Steigenberger they heat it to at least 30 degrees but this was freezing. We couldnt bathe. Shape up!

Activities
The gym was ridiculous, that is not a gym. Everything costs extra in this hotel. The tennis court, the sauna, the bikes and so on. What the hell are you staying at this hotel for if nothing is included? They should really learn from other hotels. They do have a animation team and some entertainment in the evening.

Overall: In one word, this hotel is cheap. You pay a lot but you get little. Nothing is included in this hotel. Lousy gym and nothing like the Steigenberger in Hurghada. Overall I have found Mövenpick hotels in Egypt to be dissapointing. The same for the one in Cairo. Their motto is Swiss hospitality". Is this is Swiss hospitality, I'll never visit Switzerland and I definitively wont be staying at any Mövenpick in Egypt again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Danii88
brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a fabulous 10 night all inclusive holiday in this beautiful resort.I am going to cover each area in brief for ease of reading.

Rooms
We were given room 2307, lovely views over the kite surfing beach. Well appointed, spotlessly clean and very comfortable great size balcony, can't fault it. I think people make too much fuss about which cluster is the best. I think they all have their own charms and offer something different I really wouldn't worry which one you get they are all good.

Good variety in the buffet there was always something different on offer so never got bored. The all inclusive option gave us great choice we were able to eat in various restaurants on and off site, either free or with discount I thought this was really good not once did I feel like we were being treated differently from guests on non inclusive options well done to the Movenpick for this , it was very clear and fairly done on the menu cards.

Staff
On the whole all very efficient and polite. There are a few people I would like to mention for very good service however, who made our holiday special. Kahled (waiter) in the buffet restaurant was so kind and thoughtful thanks to him. Also the two Michael's and the restaurant manager.
Aymen, Tarek and the bar staff and restaurant staff from the Lagoon pool.
Omar and Osama and the young guy (sorry I forget his name) lagoon pool also who all made sure our every whim was taken care of with a smile thank you guys.
Tito and Adam from the animation team ( crazy boys!) thank you.

Resort
Beautiful gardens and water features everywhere, it is so well kept and the design is stunning with the lagoons on the site. The beach is clean and there are lots of lovely places to take a stroll and absorb the beauty of the place.

Pools
All 3 complexes are lovely whichever you choose you won't be disappointed, I tended to gravitate to the Lagoon pool just because I felt comfortable and at home there but I did use all of them at some point.

El Gouna
A safe, quieter resort, no hassle in the town if you are not a fan of the hussle and bussle of other Red sea resorts then you will love this one. The town would probably be too quiet for the hard core club going crowds I didn't spot one club. But if you like quiet bars and good restaurants then you will love El Gouna's marinas and Downtown for your souveniers. The Tuk tuks are a fab, fun (slightly dangerous lol) cheap way to get about.

Ok the 2 reasons it missed a 5 rating for me!

Internet £66 for 7 days!!!!! 5* hotel it should be free, everybody was rightfully moaning

And my big bug bare!!
I went out of school holidays for obvious reasons I am there to chill. Europe clearly doesn't fine the parents if their kids go on holiday during term time so inevitably there are a fair few kids about quite a lot in fact.
Nowhere in resort is there an option to get away from them so as to have some peace and quiet. The spa pool is suppose to be a quiet area, however this just means there are no balls of lilos, the crying whinging kids are still allowed in. You are constantly bombarded with noisy families, kids want to play and should be able to freely but sadly this is at those withouts expense.
My suggestion so as to cater for everyones needs would be for this vast hotel to allocate one of the pool complexes (Lagoon pools would be perfect as they are the smallest) as an adult (over 18's) only area. This would give us the option to the peace we so crave for when we go on holiday without kids. I can't believe they haven't thought of this, they are really missing and opportunity to keep everyone happy, it would be so easy to do this and would insure I came back regularly.

Other than those two things I highly recommend this hotel and resort and will be back sometime, quicker if I have an Adult only area ;-)

Room Tip: All rooms have different charms don't worry where you are put.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

This hotel you have visited since the period of a year and traveled to one of the hotels in some countries and places but Movenpick Resort El Gouna best and nicest place and the best service in hotels thank all the Movenpick department

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Doaoaoa
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

Should we make it a 9th trip to The Moevenpick in El Gouna? That was the question. After all, we had a number of very special occasions to celebrate. A 25th wedding anniversary, my husband and I, another couple had a 20th and two others a 40th and 50th birthday respectively. Maybe we should push the boat out and go some where far flung? Well, as it happens we made the right decision. We celebrated all these significant events at the same hotel that we have been back to year on year. We couldn't have been made to feel more special. The staff and the hotel in general went out of their way to make us feel VSP's, Very Special People! The hotel was booked to capacity at the time given that Egyptians were starting their Summer holidays. Despite this very busy time, The Moevenpick have once again made our holiday one to remember for all the right reasons. Thank you to all the Management, with extra special mention to our 'dream maker extraordinaire' Mr Tony Lockett, an exemplorary figure of what good customer service means, to the staff who work hard both day and night and to the best Customer Relation Supervisor ever, Mayada Mahrous. Should we make it a 10th year next year? Without question. Our favourite balcony room is beckoning.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scubaco
MPHotelEgypt, Guest Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna, responded to this review, 25 April 2016
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with other travelers here on this platform. We are happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you left the hotel with a positive impression. We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon for another visit.
Your Moevenpick Resort El Gouna Team
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I visited this hotel as a 5 day "extension" to my Voyages Jules Verne holiday in Cairo and travelling down the Nile. The Cairo and Nile elements of the holiday were very good, especially the Nile cruise on the SS Misr. I had never been to the Red Sea coast before. The hotel is vast and laid out in what I would call Butlin's Bognor style, although the directional signage badly needs attention. The room was furnished to a high standard although the daily cleaning left a little to be desired and on one occasion I had to call out the housekeeping manager because the room was really not adequately cleaned. The manager and his staff responded quickly and effectively but in a 5 star hotel I would not have expected the poor service in the first place. I had opted for the half board option. Breakfasts were generally good although I find it hard to have to suffer buffet style service in a 5 star hotel. That said all staff were polite and helpful. I could not face the buffet dinners and tried each of the 3 "themed" restaurants at least once. It is a pity that one gets a fairly minimal allowance for the half board expense against the a la carte prices. The fish restaurant was reasonable and the Italian suffered by having poor quality meat. Service in both was professional and helpful. The jewel in the crown was the Thai restaurant - very good food and excellent service. The swimming pools in the complex were too small for the size of the hotel, although swimming was possible in one of the lagoons. For some reason very cold water though!! Overall not a 5 star experience. The hotel will however appeal to families (I was there with my wife only), since there is plenty of open ground and play areas. I don't think it suits a couple who are used to visiting 5 star hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the children's playground.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RSSLondon
Amanda S, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time on evaluating your stay at our resort, we are taking all comments in a serious consideration. All comments have been forwarded to the concerned departments.
We are sorry to here that the stay was not fully to your satisfaction and would like to assure you, that the management has already took actions to assure our standards are fully implemented.
Concerning the breakfast, a resort with more than 500 rooms will always have to serve breakfast as buffet inorder to serve all guests at any time with the max. on variety.
Wishing you and your wife a nice stay and maybe we will be able to welcome you in a view years with your family.

Linda Osman
Public Relation Manager
Serre-Chevalier, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I am writing this whilst still in situ at the movenpick el gouna resort. If anyone has booked via longwood holidays - beware. If you pay extra for a better room then make damn sure you get it when you get into resort. We haven't - depsite the fact that another longwood guest was upgraded within half an hour of being in resort and he didnt even pay for it.

We asked to be moved as we didn't have sea view room - unless you managed to see it through the fronds of a palm tree - room 4210 beware. They moved us to cluster 7 - which has a side sea view. But this room is not a RECENTLY RENOVATED ROOM - as was sold to us. When I upload my pics I will load them on. Bath surround is clogged with limescale, chipped sink, chipped shelf in bathroom. I would like to know at which date this was renovated and their meaning of recently.....

The other clients who were moved within 30 minutes were moved to room 6104 which overlooks the beach and the sea. What I would call a sea view room. So how do Movenpick decide which clients to upgrade. Is it bribery and dropping the reception staff something? I couldn't possibly say...

Sadly it seems Longwood holidays don't give a damn - there response was that someone would deal with it in resort. We waited 30 min yesterday (Monday) for the rep who had called to meet us. he didnt turn up......!!!!!

Also today we have discovered that 2 other ladies who arrived had booked a standard room and asked if their was a better room. They were upgraded to a 72m" deluxe room. Is it fair - certainly not. Not sure what or how Movenpick can justify this when refusing other people who have paid for it.......

had a walk around yesterday of the resort. The pool & beach area around Cluster 8 is like another world compared to the beach area in front of the Sayadin restaurant at the other end of the resort. its like the posh end and the poor end. Which does not make sense really - as they are busy promoting the sayadin restaurant to outside folk but the beach area around it is a mess. By the way the sayadin restaurant is very good and nice staff...

Concerning the beach - plastic glasses laid around for 2 days, an empty water bottle is still on the beach today after 3 days. The beach at cluster 8 is brushed and tidy. Around the lagoon is also brushed and tidy. But this end of the beach - its as is they dont care - really not up to muster

The staff at the lagoon pool area are lovely and very helpful.

Its not all negative - as we took a quick trip on a boat around El Gouna - the placement of the Movenpick is by far the best - with its own beach.

Its just a real pity that the service does not fit in. Such a shame as it could be so much better. Movenpick you should pay attention - there is a new resort opening soon in Ancient Sands with a 6 star boutique hotel and a 5 star. You are at most a 4 star you need to up your game.

We have stayed at Soma Bay - frankly if I had a choice - I would definately go back to Soma Bay

Room Tip: cluster 6 - overlooks the sea - especially 6100 - 6108 or the floor above
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
#5 of 18 in El Gouna
Hurghada Marriott Beach Resort
Sheraton Miramar Resort El Gouna
Steigenberger Golf Resort

Been to Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna? Share your experiences!