Let me first say that I will probably not come back to this location. I've been several other places in the Hurgada area and the Mövenpick don't stack up when compared. You can read my other reviews from my profile.
We stayed in a family room in cluster 7 and was booked all inclusive for 2 weeks.
So, why will we not go back here? Firstly, I love the Red Sea and even though The Divetribe dive center is great and we spent 5,5 days with them, the lack of snorkeling is for me a major drawback. El Gouna is a man made location and has no reef, so one of my key reasons for going to Egypt in the first place is killed of right there. If you like to Kite however the place is perfect. Its very shallow waters from the beach.
Second, the Hotel food with the exception of breakfast just is not that great. The buffet food is very boring and blunt. They make great desserts and salads but the mains are basically just different boiled meats in tomato/mushroom sauce branded under different names each day. I don't think this is because of the chefs, but I think the hotel management are running the kitchen based on cost rater than flavor. This is the first 5 star I've been to that did not offer any kind of freshly prepared option during dinner. Did not see a kofta or chicken kebab there ever. Lunch is the same, everything is precooked and then just reheated. Even the fries. Pizzas at the main pool was nice though.
So stay away from the buffet, don't order it and go to El Sayadin or the Thai for food in the hotel. They are much better, but have "dress codes" that I personally consider to be just ridiculous. Please note that all food and drink are heavily overpriced so either stay AI or go out for dinner.
The main restaurant was being refurbished so all diners was moved to a banquet hall besides it. This place had no windows, limited space and was VERY noisy, crowded and quite often did you had to wait to get a table. After a few tries we started ordering room service instead. This cost around 120 EGP and is a ripoff when considering we never got any fresh bread or pastries. We did also order room service dinner and this too was very bad. The managers of the Movenpick seriously need to rethink how they serve food! They have good chefs there, but I don't think they are allowed to cook!
The rooms are dated, but spotless cleaned and offers (at an extra charge) internet access, one week is 480 EGP and you get a 1 MB line. Not fast, but works fine for checking e-mails and reading the local paper.
As stated we stayed in cluster 7 and used the "local" pool. Its smaller, but more quiet.
The spa area around cluster 8 also offers a quiet pool that is a good option if you are not traveling with kids. Forget about going for a swim in the sea here. You need to walk across the mud 250-300 meters and the canal is the same, its green with algae and smells bad. You dont want to swim there.
So whats the good sides?
- Very clean hotel. Toilets are kept perfect.
- Good dive center. So use it!
- Good playgrounds and sports center.
- Kite surfing. Very shallow waters.
Overall, what saved this holiday was The Dive Tribe, El Sayadin and the Thai restaurant. The rest of the Hotel is in dire need of an upgrade and they should start with the food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mövenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna is nestled on a peninsula, with its own exclusive beachfront. It offers spectacular views of the Red Sea, the tranquil lagoons and the lush gardens. The ideal surroundings combined with the resort's extensive facilities all make for a perfect stay. The charming center of El Gouna with its picturesque architecture and numerous attractions is only a few minutes away and Hurghada International Airport can be reached in 30 minutes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Movenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moevenpick Resort And Spa El Gouna
- Moevenpick Resort & Spa El Gouna Hotel El Gouna
- mövenpick El Gouna
- Moevenpick Hotel El Gouna