“Animation team I'd prefer to stay with even in the street”

Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada
Ranked #52 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
“Animation team I'd prefer to stay with even in the street”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Ismail, karim , shicko , cola, Anna ,evgeniya, masha ,every body I didn't mention I forgot the names but are all special not only professional dancers but also wonderful entertainers, who didn't happen in any hotel I have ever seen
Friendly, careful ,hospitable , helpful with a continuous smile , know how to occupy any nationality with any language also kids and adults .
Simply each member of our family had his own trip and was very special to them
They really deserve an extra star

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mageddddddddd
badramani, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Maged

Thank you for this lovely review , we are happy we are getting very positive reviews about our entertainment team , they really contribute in making the vacation a memorable one . We hope to see you soon again for more fun at our resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
cairo
Reviewed 27 July 2014

First of all its my third time this hotel the first was in may 2011 and the second was in october 2011 really the first 2 times were more than amazing (food,service,animation ,....)
But this time it was very terrible one from our arrival,I asked for a baby cot from 6:00 am till 11:00 pm for 5 times with no response to my request finally they bring one after my baby sleep.
The second problem we face is the hard journey to th beach,although it is announced at the hotel that there is a beach car to transfer the guests from the reception to the beach and vice versa it was very hard to find this car.on my second day i waited for about 45 mins wairing for the car and the weather was very hot carrying my son , i asked more than 4 persons on the beach service to support me by calling the reception to send a car with no response to my request, after 45 mins the driver arrived telling me that he has too many work to do thats the reason for the delay but i donot think that it is my problem .the hotel has to fix this problem either to set certsin time for this service or to get more drivers and more cars.
The third problem and it is the worest one when i go to the lobby bar at 12:10 am asking for a glass of coke and the bar man told me that i am not allowed to get soft drinks after 12:00 as my reservation is sai
I go for the receptionist to tell him my problem and he surprised me with his answer that really i am not allowed to get coke 10 mins oh my god.
I spend more than an hour negotiating this point till now i cannot imagine that i am asking for a glass of coke.on the second day i told the receptionist manager MR OSAMA abour my problem and he answered me in a very rude and unacceptable way
Really i do not know how this person is an interface for the hotel in dealing with customers.he donot know the basics of customer satifaction.
Finally it will be my last time at this horrible hotel although the resources of this hotel are very good (location ,wide areas,playing places ,...) are very good but the human resources especially the receptionists (espically OSAMA their manager) are very terrible and do not know how to satisfy their guests.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank mariamazizfouad
badramani, Assistant regional Communications Manager at Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear mariamazizfouad

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I am sorry if you did not get the service you expected during your stay but I called the resort to investigate about your complaints and here are some points in reply to your comments
- The all inclusive formula is only valid for food and beverage till midnight , any items you consume after midnight is paid even a coke . When you asked about the bar working hours they told it is open 24 hours which is true , you can a drink anytime but after midnight it is against charges
- We do have 3 golf cars working at the resort but they are working on batteries as you know and have to be charged after 3 hours of work so maybe that was when you were there.
Please be sure that we take any complaint seriously in order to upgrade our services and satisfy our guests , I wish you can give us another chance in order to have a better experience at our resort
Dortmund, Germany
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I greet karim sheko esmail kola sayd katia esam And the whole Hotel
I recommend this hotel to every
they have so many activtes and they very good dancers
People are very friendly and fun
the sea is very beautiful
I have nothing to complain about the Hotel and the People
I miss Egypt so much that I will be back next year
best regards from Germany

Wladimir :-*

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wladi S
Dear Wladi S

Thank you for this beautiful review , we are happy you enjoyed your vacation and specially the entertainment team , you promised to come back next year and we are waiting for your next visit
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My daughter and I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel for 2 weeks. We didn't even get greeted with a hello on arrival. It was downhill from then onwards. The food was awful. We did get invitations to eat at the a la carte restaurants but one had been closed and turned into a paying bar even though it was supposed to be all inclusive. It was also the only place in the hotel that you could watch the world cup. With the exception of the Chinese, they were really not much better than the trough (as the main restaurant became known as). Eating in the a la carte soon became boring as the menu wasn't changed.

By the pool and beach drinks were served in small cheap plastic glasses and you didn't get ice unless you asked for it.

The pool was dirty and very noisy especially when there were many Egyptian families there at the weekends. We were there every day for 12 days before the pool guys started to put towels out for us - no doubt in the hope that we would tip. Sorry guys - too little too late!

The Russians were as usual, very loud and ill mannered. The Egyptians were exactly the same and the English were very much in the minority. The absolutely awful food was aimed at their diets. I don't go away to eat English food but a broader range of good quality food is all that we wanted.

The only saving grace for that hotel is that the guest relations lady (not the Russian one) was very nice and very helpful. The standard of service did improve after we complained but it only lasted a few days before it went back to being non existent.

I would never go back to that place. You do not get what you pay for and it is at best a 3* by English standards but right at the bottom of the star rating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Gill M
badramani, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta Pharaoh Beach Resort Hurghada, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Gillm993

We are very sorry that you and your family couldn't enjoy your vacation due to shortcomings of service during your stay, and we haven't been able to satisfy your needs and provide you with service you deserve.
I checked the case with the hotel and they mentioned that you were booked for room 104 pool view and requested to be moved because you did not like it so we offered you one room on the 3rd floor sea view but on the end you like to stay in 104.

The cheap plastic glasses in fact are expenses acrylic glasses which required to use of safety reason as per international standard in pool and beach areas.( we are not permitted to use normal glasses).

Our guest relation officer Mrs. Zeinah was in contact with you and arranged that you will get the reservation in the 3 Ala Cart Restaurants.( Italian, China, Russian )

We just hired a new Executive Chef and he is working on new food menus and new items for the buffet. Training the staff on the quality standard for the buffet and the ala carte restaurants is one of his top priority and we are sure that the improvement will be shown soon and the guests will enjoy our Egyptian hospitality

All your mentioned points also had been discussed with the head departments, intensify staff training, close following up on the operational procedures and control for the quality standard has been implemented.
We hope you can give us another chance to make you experience a different stay and be sure you will notice a great difference
cairo
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Room 359. It was annunced via internet that all inclusive gusts have 24 hour lobby bar opened but in reallity it was only opened till 12:00am. When we asked the night shift manager about the annuncement he started to waist our time for one complete hour to say it is not the hotel fault as it is well known that all inclusive bars finished at 12am. The main isue is the non proffissional way in treeting small problems.
Also at another day my wife and child waited for 45 min at the beach waiting for shuttle bus to return to the room with no aid from anyone of the stuff. They just said that they have only one shuttle bus.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bassemsalah
Dear Mr. Bassem

Thank you for taking the time to write this review , I am sorry for any-inconvenience you may have faced during your stay at our resort . We received the complaint from your wife on TripAdvisor and replied directly to her . The bar is opened 24 hours as per the internet , yes but its only free till 12.00 Am after that it is against charges . As for the club car we do have 3 cars operating all the time but as you know the cars works on batteries and they have to be recharged every 3 hours , that is why sometimes you have a longer waiting time . We are sorry again and please give us another chance to make you experience a wonderful stay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Booked this hotel when all the most recent reviews were great, AWESOME. Made the mistake of checking reviews leading up to our holiday, they weren’t so good. I was stressed out! I shouldn’t have worried. This hotel was absolutely amazing, we could not have asked for more.

I emailed the hotel prior to staying to arrange some drinks to be in our room on arrival as a surprise for my partner and not only was this complimentary but they also included an anniversary tart which kept us treated for the entire week we were there.

Our flight was late landing and we didn’t get to the resort till after the a la carte restaurant was closed, this was no trouble for the hotel, they insisted we have food and came out with two plates of yumminess. This was the perfect start to our holiday. Exceptional service!

We were then upgraded to a bungalow and ours was right by the beach front making for amazing views. The bungalow itself was lovely, kitchenette, living room, large bedroom (huge bed!), lovely bathroom and a patio facing the beach. Fully functioning safe was a great addition as was the huge wardrobe space. The air-conditioning worked amazingly well, up to the point that we only used it in the kitchenette/living room in the end. The tea, coffee and water replenished daily and housekeeping did a great job of cleaning everyday and leaving us towel art, great touch!

Because we were near the beach, I can’t really comment on the pool as we did not venture there much, the beach was just too beautiful to leave. Lots of sun loungers, great sea front restaurant which had the best cocktail of the whole resort and a great area for swimming. We spent most of our days here, absolute bliss.

I’ve never done all inclusive before and was really impressed. Food was good, changed slightly everyday and it was nice to have the option to go to other restaurants. I liked the fact that you could have things freshly prepared in front of you, pasta, pancakes and omelettes. There was always plenty of food and even on check out they left us with our wrist bands so we didn’t have to worry about what to eat in the hours waiting for the transfer.

We attended all of the evening shows and it was really nice to have some entertainment after lounging at the beach all day. The animation team was great, really talented but it was definitely aimed more at the Russian guests, and also those who like to get involved. We still enjoyed it though but chose to be amused spectators rather than participate.
Obviously there were a few niggles that you always get that weren’t perfect, none of them ruined our holiday but they’re worth a mention just as a heads up:

TV only has 3 English channels (2 news and 1 music) which is quite disappointing. It is also in the living room rather than the bedroom but that’s just my preference.

Club car (golf cart) service was great in the heat but sometimes it just didn’t turn up which was frustrating.

I’d advise you to give the Italian restaurant a miss. Service was not great, neither was the food (Chinese restaurant was lovely though).

Lobby barman, make sure you know what you want to order before you go up there; there will be no barman banter.

We booked via Travel Republic and I would really recommend them. Cheapest we could find and also unexpectedly had a rep to talk to the first morning. We used Egyptian Touristic Services for the transfers and the trip to the Pyramids that we purchased and the service was excellent. Hints: Do not go straight to your transfer company when you land, get your visa from the bank first, we made this mistake and got charged more than we should have! Also if you go on excursions bring your own toilet roll or coins. We unfortunately had neither and had to beg for paper.

The service, the beautiful grounds and entire experience just made for an absolutely wonderful holiday. Forever my happy place. Thank you Sonesta.

Tips:
Do not go straight to your transfer company, get your visa from the bank first, we made this mistake and got charged more than we should have!

If you go on excursions bring your own toilet roll or coins. We unfortunately had neither and had to beg for paper.

Check out the Sea Breeze Bar, best cocktail in the resort and amazing, made before your very eyes pizza.

Ensure you have smaller denominations of notes and coins for tips. We only had 100’s and 200’s which made it difficult at times.

Room Tip: Bungalows by the beach really are stunning
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lovetrott
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

To be fair, our party of six 4 Adults & 2 older children did not book this hotel for our ten day holiday. We we transferred here without much choice having had our booking at the Coral Beach hotel summarily cancelled! We were told it was a 5* hotel but it would probably rate as 2* in the UK. A travel rep named Almaz, who said he represented our travel company (Travel Republic? Jumbo Tours?), tried to help us but he was useless and achieved nothing. We found fault at the hotel with the following: Overcrowded buffet restaurant; poor service from restaurant staff; tables not laid; lack of crockery which was mostly always chipped; lack of resupplying breakfast drinks and plastic cups to drink from; lack of glasses made of glass, over use of small plastic cups in restaurant and especially from the main bar which never seemed to have any glasses and only one person serving; pool bar serving beer in very small cups which only contained two mouthfuls of liquid; lack of food to suit a UK palate; beach not suitable for paddling for children or disabled; large pond in center of grounds for mosquitoes; poor service from club cars except on the last day when they expected a tip!; Even the manager admitted to us that his staff were rude to customers which he found hard to control. So all in all we would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family