“Nice hotel, shame they serve cold food”

Steigenberger Aqua Magic
Ranked #27 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Kent
“Nice hotel, shame they serve cold food”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Got back from 11 nights at Aqua Magic yesterday.
Room- Got upgraded to family room, gigantic bed, big enough for the three of us, essential with a two year old, and two wider than normal singles in a separate area, and a large wettoom, lots of storage, drawers, shelves and hanging space, although a few hangers more would be nice. But unfortunetly for a third floor family room, my two year old could unlock( by moving handle upwards) then swing open balcony door easily and then was free to climb chairs and railings on balcony, and despite a lock and a high up key chain sort of thing lock on the main door, my two year old could get around that just by opening and closing the door a couple of times, and eventually the higher lock would have budged out the way and out the room he was, thankfully he did not sleep in the balcony room, but we had to put a chair by the fromt door every night just as an early warning to us if he tried to get out the room.
Rooms were cleaned nicely and our cleaner Ali was very friendly.

Rest of hotel- was nicely decorated, some areas still requiring finishing touches, most noticeable the toilets next to the main restaurant, probavly the most used public toilets as also off the pirate pool. These still had areas where tiling had not been completed, grouting and paint all over the tiles, suspect a very rush job on these toilets and never really cleaned up afterwards. Also generally not cleaned well, they might add toilet roll and hand wipes but one of the toilets had poo on the outside of the bowl for about 5 days- they need properly cleaning more often. One day i went to breakfast at 9.30,and went to these toilets they were a mess, hand towels everywhere, several visity later by 1.00 they still had not been cleaned.

Pools -all nice, nice temperature, easy to get sunbeds even when busy, it went from quiet to busy and quiet again whilst we were there, think there was an influx of Egyptians for an Egytian bank holiday. Brits are definetly in the minority, which isn't an issue, but British songs are rarely played in the childrens disco, think i heard two in our whole stay.

Beach - is grity, gets a bit better for playing in if tide is out, there are sometimes jellyfish but these are harmless, and one of the watersports guys piked one up and showed me.
Tip- by the beach towels there is a big bin of left over buckets and spades etc, so no need to buy.
Snorkeling is okay, you will see some fish and coral(mostly dead) in the swimming area, but not as good as other hotels we have been to in Sharm.

Trips- we went on glass bottom boat with the beach boys, took us out about 25 mins, to a reef, and watched fish for about 30-40 mins, then docked up and went snorkeling in roughly the same area, for about the same time, then stopped off for about 20-30 mins at a sand bar on way home., the guys were great and showed you around the reef, and pointed out stuff. This was 15€, such good value we thought about doing it again.

Golf- nice course, and putting green, not long, but it is perfect for going down about 4.30 to 5, a bit too hot before this, and then get around in just under an hour, you get an 8,9, P,S and putter, which is all you need. We took our own balls and lost quite a few in the water hazards.

Food- there is the main buffet, kids restaurant, beach bar, magic souck and two a la carte restaurants.

A la carte bot served good food, and hot food, book as soon as you get there.

Kids restaurant, lower level service ideal for kids, it is open for four hours over lunch, there idea of replenishment is too add luke warm food to the cold food.

Beach bar - food is served in food bags in heated cabinets, so does keep the flies off, however they would cook chips, place them in a tray, put them to the side, then some time later put them in bags with fish and into the cabinets- so a lovely cold bag of fish and chips for you. One day a took a hot dog out, from the back, so last added and it was stone cold, if you are eating down here stick to the pizza which is cooked to order.

Main buffet- fairly large variety, seen larger in smaller hotels. Quality poor, anything with the word gratin in (potatoe, brocolli, cauliflower) often looked like gloop. Food was hotter here than at the beach or kids restaurant, but generally warm not hot.

Souk- went there for a change one night, ordered a buger, so a already cooked buger was put on the grill and served to me two minutes later, why when the guy stands there all night and is lucky to serve any guests, that food can not be served from fresh, i have no idea, it would not surprise me if it is leftover food from the beach bar being reheated in the souk at the evening.

To sum up -Generally the hotel has the decour i would expect of a five star, staff are friendly, better cleaning of public toilets could be done, but i have had better quality food, with more variety, and better night on night variation from 4 star hotels in Egypt and Tunisia.

Room Tip: Rooms by the the pirate ship are also within ear shot of the nightly entertainment. Adult roof pool...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LancashireZazy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Helmstadt, Germany
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed in Steigenberger Aqua Magic from April 27th till May 6th 2014. And I enjoyed this vacation like no other vacation before.
It was my first time in Egypt and I was very impressed about the mentality there, the people were always friendly, open and if you have a smile on your face it worth much more here then it did in Germany, never seen that before it was amazing.

But now a few words to the Hotel.
We stayed in Room 4231, directly above the children's playground. We travelled without children but there were absolutely no disturbing noises caused by the childrens.
We had a Bedroom with a King Size Bed, minibar, safe and a Flatscreen, a living room with access to the balcony, two couches, desk and an also a flatscreen (Only 2 German channels: ARD and ZDF) and a nice big Bathroom with a walk in shower.
The rooms were always clean when we returned from the Beach in the evening.
There are only a few Points of criticism.
-The armatures in the Bathroom are processed a little bit "shaky".
-Sometimes we don't had towels in the Bathroom.
-Brown water out of the water faucet (after 5 seconds it is clear again).
Fazit: The rooms have a good size and everything I expected.Only the 3 points of Criticism, but it is critisicm on high level.
I will especially highlight the Service in this Hotel. As I already mentioned in my Title, the Aqua Magic Team made my vacation to a special experience. They always asked you if everything is ok but they were never disturbing or intrusive.
They were friendly and always smiling, even if you could see that they had stress. You never had the feeling that your wish or request was annoying.
I want to name here especially 2 Persons.
First of all Mohamed Fathy from the Beach Bar. He was always attentative, friendly and open. After 2 Days he remembers our favourite drinks and I had the feeling that he could read our faces. He always brought the right drink exactly when we want to have it (without ordering them). This is service!!! After claiming that the Hotel itself does not show the Champions League Match between Real Madrid and Bayern Munich he named us a coffee shop in Hurghada so that we were able to watch the Match.
Also Reda from the Souk area and Beach Bar. In the evening he brought us the best Shisha's in the Souk Area and during his work on the Beach he was also able to read our faces and provide us with drinks in the right time.
Fazit: Never had such an good service before. Great job, keep doing it like this.

The Food in the Main Bar was good. Sky Bar and Tanga Restaurant are excellent everyone should definetly visit both a la carte restaurants.

So overall I had a wonderfull, relaxing vacation in Steigenberger Aqua Magic. I will definetely come back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Verena H
kent
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My family and i had a great week at this hotel and i have no complaints whatsoever. After reading some of the recent reviews i feel that they must have stayed at another hotel but in fairness everyone is entitled to their own opinion but i have to say if you stay in a "FAMILY" hotel you will hear screaming kids at some point. Check in was smooth and we were upgraded to a family suite, it was very spacious and very comfortable and it had two widescreen televisions. The air con was extremely efficient and very much needed, yes you could hear it working but it was not loud. The staff were very attentive and they were very friendly most of the time, on the odd occassion one or two were abrupt but i do not believe there was any malice involved. The food was of a high standard for Egypt and there was so much choice even the fussiest of eaters. The pools, lazy river and the aqua park were amazing! We were able to keep our room until 15.00 at no extra charge and that made our last day far easier. I must say a special thank-you to Kou-kou a member of the animation team and the resident "superstar" he always had time to stop and talk to us and and he was always laughing and full of life. I would not hesitate in booking this hotel again and i look forward to my next visit. Thanks to the Steigenberger for a truly wonderful holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank mavorik
Preston
Reviewed 5 May 2014

In a nutshell I will review everything below. But for an overview, me and my girlfriend spent 2 of the days in bed with food poisoning from the hotel food. We were also torn to pieces by mosquitos so bring a fly spray with you! We also were placed in a twin bed room which was a joke and we couldn't be moved. Also we were in a room next to a family, which the parents must have been fans of alternative parenting where crying was the norm and silence is a bad thing. Reception were slow to sort it out and only rang the room to ask them to be quiet.

This was our first trip to Egypt and unfortunately it will be our last. I just don't understand the attraction to a country where you cannot walk down a street without being hassled and harassed by shop keepers who are nothing more than perverts with a shop. Girls be warned their behaviour is enough to make you want to go home there and then.

BE WARNED THE WIFI IS LIKE GOING BACK INTO THE 90'S. YOU EXPECT THE PHONE LINE TO GO DOWN EVERY TIME YOU'RE ONLINE!

The Hotel:
The actual hotel itself is very nice. The rooms are large with and fitted to a good standard.

There are lots of swimming pools which is what you can expect with the name. The lazy river is a good idea as it very enjoyable in the sun.

Pretty much all of the small children go to the Pirate Ship pool so there is plenty of chance to escape the children if needed. The adult pool on the roof is well worth going too if you prefer a quiet relax with no interruptions.

The Food:
Now this is the point of the review where it all goes downhill. The large restaurant which is at the bottom of the hotel is too small when the hotel is full. People were made to wait at around 7:30pm which was peak time for sitting down.

The variation of food is large, but the quality is poor to say the least. Some dishes look like gloop slopped into a big metal bowl which has meat dropped in sporadically. There is a pasta bar at the back which is OK but if you are a fussy eater then good luck. There is chips but that is about it.

The beach restaurant during the day serves Pizzas, Burgers, Hot Dogs, Fish & Chips as well as a local kebab. This is highly recommended to visit at lunch time as it offers a nice change from the junk that is served in the main restaurant.

We tried to get into the A la Carte restaurant but I think you have got more chance of seeing The Beatles play live than eating in there.

The restaurants that surround the hotel are also pretty poor apart from the Hard Rock Cafe down the road which was the only reliable food in the area.

The Staff:
The hotel is very well staffed to say the least. They are very literate and all speak various languages. But again their over friendly attitude could be seen straight through.

There was a particular member of staff who restocked the mini bar nightly who would linger in the room in pursuit of a tip. This happened when my girlfriend was alone in the room and she was very uncomfortable with a 30yr old man lingering in a room alone. So be warned about this.

I caught various members of staff just lurching over different females around the pool openly which was just got very annoying after laughing the first time. It was just embarrassing to watch to be honest and the men in Egypt in general not just the staff here have a lot to learn on that front.

Other Guests:
The hotel is well over 50% Russian. Which from somebody who doesn't often come into contact with Russians, won't really see it as a problem. But I can assure you. Queue up with them once in the food queues and you will understand where I am coming from. Most have no manners or respect or general etiquette in a public place.

Things To Do:
There are lots of trips through the various tour operators within the hotel. I cannot recommend highly enough the Desert Safari through the Oasis Safari tour company. This trip was simply fantastic. There is lots of Salesmen knocking around the hotel which gets annoying after the 10th time of them asking but if you want to do something then at least there is something to do.

If your looking to play golf then be warned it is €8 a golf ball to play!

Overall the hotel is physically nice. But that's where the positives end. I wouldn't return to Hurghada again or Egypt in general. But if you have been to Egypt before and know what to expect then I think you would probably enjoy it here. But if not you may have the same experiences that I endured.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank William W
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went here on 26/04/2014 for one week,were to start
We arrived here 28 hours late after flight delays we were met at the front door and bags taken to the side we were shown to the main reception area given some black current drink and done the paper work after about 10 mins we got our keys then back outside to put room numbers on your bags and given a rough idea of the location of our room.
We got to our room 5417 went in looked OK nice view over the main pool area things were looking up but this was not to last,put on the air con and went down for a beer.
Later when we went back to our room there was a terrible smell we thought was coming from the air con we opened the door and the patio door to let the smell out and turned the air con off there was no way you could sleep with the air con on anyway the lowest setting was like standing next to a runway when planes were taking off ,went to bed and had a very poor sleep as it was so warm.

Next morning woke up to a terrible smell of sewage reported this to reception and went for breakfast now this is an experience on its own its like a cattle market and the food is of a very poor quality but could find something to eat, now you are all thinking to yourself I am just a very fussy eater but I'm not I have had deep fried crickets on sticks, chickens feet and even tried sheep's head.

Went down to the pool area this I would say is the best part of the hotel,there were always sunbeds to be had several pools,flumes and the lazy river was good if you have kids they will love the pirate ship, one thing to be aware of is the tiles around the pool are very slippy the worst area is just over the bridge in front of the flumes we saw 3 people hurt 1 woman and 2 kids 1 young boy gave himself a really bad gash on the back of his head so be aware of thing last thing you want on holiday is getting hurt.

Went back to our room to get changed for dinner as there is dress code for evening dinning no sign of any smells so we thought great anyway went for dinner forget the dress code the signs are up but no one bothered and yet again very poor Luke warm food if you can get near it, its a fight to get near and people have no idea of waiting there turn its not a nice experience, if you are very good with tips you will get great service as soon as the tips stop the service stops.

After dinner went to the sky bar for a few drinks this I would call our local its nice out on the roof and a nice cool breeze but closes at 11.30 the only problem up there is the mosquitoes they never bothered me but the wife was bit all over and yes she was covered in bug spray,went back to our room and seemed OK except for the noise of the air con got up the next morning to the same horrible smell went to reception and complained they got someone to clean the drain and do something with filters they said.
Went up to the assault only area but the pools are more like paddling pools but was OK, done the cattle market again nothing changed this evening we went to the entertainment nothing to write home about but passed a couple of hours only thing very bad for mosquitoes and this we watched from the sky bar.
Back to the room this time we had a flood from the air con they sorted this at 1a.m. next morning same smell enough was enough went and got the manager and we were moved to another room 5007 we though happy days.
On entering the room we noticed all the little black dots on the walls and ceiling it turned out to be squashed mosquitoes this became our new problem,we found a gap of about 1 inch under the door so we had to put a towel along the door when we went in and kill all the bugs that were in the room when we were out and once again the air con was so loud you could not have it on any get any form of sleep.
We had 2 a LA cart meals at the sky restaurant these were the best meals we had hot and tasty we tried to book another restaurant but they were fully booked.
The beach is man made and not that nice the food at the beach was very poor fast food
There are some shops about 150 yards either way down the street but be prepared for the hastle there is a shop called Cleopatra's that has all there goods priced up you don't get hastle but you do get followed around the shop.
One more thing don't put you door key card near your phone in your pocket as it clears the card and you have to go to reception to get it sorted

To sum things up this is not a five star hotel and the food is three star or less in my opinion

Make sure you have good bug spray if you have problems with them I spent another £28 over there for the wife but they did not help.

For me it was a big let down and will not be back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Douglas W
Wael-Aboelseoud, Executive Assistant Manager at Steigenberger Aqua Magic, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your valued review concerning your recent stay at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Resort. We are committed to providing the highest level of service to all of our guests every day.

Based on your feedback, we clearly did not provide our usual impeccable service and best value for money all inclusive package. We sincerely apologize for the shortcomings you encountered whilst staying with us.

Moreover we would like to discuss in detail your feedback through my e-mail: wael.aboelseoud@steigenbergeraquamagic.com at your convenience to ensure you consider choosing the Steigenberger Aqua Magic again.
Once more thank you for your critical and valued feedback, assuring that we are extremely committed to delivering the perfect holiday experience for each and every guest.

Wael Aboelseoud
Executive Assistant Manager
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Mohamed shaban mohamed He is the waiter in this hotel. He work on el souk. He is the most professional service person. knows his job nice kind person. Can advise. We stayed at this hotel 8 days. Over six days the waiter mohamed shaban served us. We were very happy. Tables around us were cleaning all the time, and last two days the waiter mohamed shaban was not to operate this area. There was another waiter.
He did not care about customers.

Mohamed Shaban Mohamed it is the most dedicated person for his work. It's very friendly and we sure we back there.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

It's professional services. Any time he clean place bring good drink. He it's really frendlly. We have great time with he on El souk "pool bar". Think so me with friends come back there to him. :):):):):):):):):):):):)

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends