“Great holiday but too many negatives at the hotel”

Steigenberger Aqua Magic
Ranked #28 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 9 July 2014

In general we had a fantastic holiday but will not return to the Steigenberger Aqua Magic. The staff are not well enough trained and the food/dining experience was awful.

Positives
The room was large and clean we were also able to use the free wi-fi which was excellent from our balcony. We found the beds to be very comfortable, the shower was great and the air-conditioning was very good. Although the air-conditioning was noisy we did not need to have it turned on during the night. The room was cleaned daily and our cleaner Mohammad was very friendly, polite and did a great job, we gave him a tip on our last day.

All of the staff we encountered were as helpful as possible. Although the staff on reception did not seem to be well trained, they were slow and seemed happier to say come back later/tomorrow rather than resolve the issue immediately.

The pools were great, we preferred to sunbathe at the adults only rooftop pool and next to the lazy river as these areas were quieter.

At the rooftop pool drinks were brought to our sun lounger regularly, ice-cream and melon was also offered. This service also seemed to be provided at the beach but everywhere else you had to get your own drinks from the bar.

The lounge bar was very comfortable although in an evening there were often very few empty tables, we preferred to sit outside anyway so this wasn't a problem. Drinks were served quickly but the all-inclusive drinks menu was quite limited.

We enjoyed the Canoeing at the beach and the complimentary golf lesson. We were unable to windsurf/use the Pedalos as on the four occasions we went to the beach we were told it was too windy.

We booked two good trips with Thomas Cook - Desert Adventure and swimming with dolphins.

We also took a taxi in to Hurghada to the marina which cost 30EGP each way.

Negatives
On our first evening around 10pm we asked for some water as there was none in our mini-bar, and an extra pillow. We were told this would be brought to our room. At 1.30am we were woken to the pillow and water being delivered - not a great start.

The food was terrible. Neither myself or my boyfriend enjoyed the food and we are not fussy eaters. We often felt the food wasn't particularly hot and it seemed to be of very poor quality. We arrived on the Tuesday and I was ill from the Friday and although much better I still feel unwell now - 15 days later. My boyfriend was also ill although his symptoms only lasted around a week and were less severe. There was often no glasses to get a drink in the restaurant and sometimes you had to wait for a table to be cleared and re-set. The queue for an omelette in the morning always took 10-15mins.

Obviously being a family resort I knew there would be a lot of children but I have stayed in a number of family resorts and never had any issues previously but here the dinning room was loud, stressful and completely unpleasant. Children were allowed to scream, shout, run around the restaurant, play with balls and toys on the floor and help themselves to the food (often spilling it everywhere and using their hands). I even had children swinging on the back of my chair and crawling under our table when I was trying to eat. We were informed by our rep that when we were there there was a high number of Egyptian children due to it being the school holidays so its perhaps not always this bad.

I certainly feel no children should be allowed in the restaurant after 9pm or there should be an adults only restaurant.

The food in the two a la carte restaurants was no better but the dining experience was much more enjoyable.

I have coeliac disease and I therefore cannot eat anything containing wheat or gluten such as bread, pasta, cake etc I emailed the hotel prior to travelling to Egypt and was assured that catering for me would be no problem I simply had to speak to the restaurant manager and chef. I went well prepared with dietary instructions in Arabic my own bread, crackers etc but no one single manager/member of staff even seemed to understand or be able to help me. When we asked at the business centre for lunch bags without bread to take on a day trip I was given two baguettes, juice an apple and a banana. In the sky bar restaurant when I asked for no bread/pastry again I was offered bread and given two dishes containing pastry. I would definitely not recommend this hotel for any guests with food allergies.

We found the evening entertainment to be very dull and didn't bother with it at all after the first few nights.

The worst part of our holiday which really prompted me to write this review was the transfer to the hotel. Do NOT book an airport transfer with the Steigenberger Aqua Magic!!

In advance we contacted the hotel and organised the airport transfer. On arrival we were collected from the airport as expected but the driver was waiting for other guests which never appeared which delayed us by roughly 30-40mins. Once at the hotel we were told to pay for our transfer at the end of our holiday. We approached reception two days before the end of our holiday and asked to pay for the transfer they said we couldn't do it yet and to come back tomorrow. We went back the next day and we were assured that we didn't have to pay for the transfer and this was a free service offered to all guests, we explained we had already obtained a quote from the hotel when booking but they were insistent we could not pay for the transfer and we had no outstanding charges to our room. On the last day of our holiday we returned again to reception to check out and confirm our transfer time. We again asked to pay for our transfer and told the man at reception how much we owed, we were told once again that this service was free and we did not owe the hotel anything.
At 7.15pm as expected the Steigenberger Al Dau Beach transfer bus arrived to take us to the airport we set off to the airport then 200m down the road the driver who spoke barely any English turned around and drove back to the hotel. We were not told what was happening, after 20-30mins we finally found out we were waiting for more guests who again never arrived. We then set off again for the airport, half way there the driver took a call and passed the phone to my boyfriend. On the phone was the Transport Manager from the hotel saying we had not paid 285EGP for our transfer and we had to pay this to the driver. We were obviously furious as this was not our mistake and we did not have the correct money to pay the driver. The driver had no change and spoke barely any English. At the airport the driver wouldn't help us with the bags and was demanding the 285EGP but we only had three 200EGP notes he wouldn't accept 200EGP and we were not prepared to pay 400EGP. As a result he eventually parked the vehicle and escorted us in to the airport in search of change delaying us further whilst shouting and telling us he needed the money. Everywhere was closed and the driver was becoming increasingly agitated and suggested all of this was our fault. Eventually a Thomson rep having overheard us telling the driver we had to go or we would miss check in came to help. He conversed in Egyptian and English, got us the correct change and solved the problem but we were the very last people to check in and the whole situation was stressful and unpleasant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Samantha C
Dieter G, General Manager at Steigenberger Aqua Magic, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all we wish to thank you for sparing the time to share your holiday feedback of your recent stay in our Steigenberger Aqua Magic.
We are happy to know that you liked our rooms and the cleanliness of it, the WIFI service, the roof top pool service and the friendliness of our employees. Moreover we are glad to learn that you felt comfortable in our Lobby Lounge and that you enjoyed canoeing at the beach and the complimentary golf introduction lesson.

At the same time we have noted your constructive comments and will consider it in order to improve our services and facilities.

We always try to do our very best to cater for our guests with certain food allergies and we wish to sincerely apologize that that you didn’t encounter the promised assistance regarding your food allergy.
You will happy to learn that we integrated most of your highlighted comments regarding our service again in our training schedule to avoid such confusions in the future.

The situation which you experienced concerning the airport transfer does certainly not reflect our usual standards and we will investigate this very carefully in order to take the necessary actions. We are very sorry that this unpleasant situation remained as a last impression of your holiday.

We sincerely hope that you will give us a second chance in the not too distant future in order to make up for he inconveniences experienced.

Until then we remain with kind regards from Hurghada

Dieter Geiger

Write a ReviewReviews (3,639)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

it is a great hotel with great service.specially the animation team,it is agreat team and they make me really happy. Mido and Nina they make me smile all the time and they are really so nice to me .thanks alot for the great holiday

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank SamuelPau
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Excellent place , real 5 stars , excellent service and workers , very nice food .....a place to have an excellent vacation and you wish to come back again . I say thank to everyone there. ( all what they need is to supply maple syrup with Pan cake D:)). )

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nabil R
Reviewed 2 July 2014

What an wonderful hotel! I would recommend this hotel to anyone, the hotel was lovely and modern and there was always a warm feeling. The hotel is very big however everything is very clean and all the facilities are always readily available. The hotel was perfect for both families and couples providing all the facilities for everyone including kids pools, slides as well as a private adult pool. However the thing that made the hotel was all of the little things that where put in place to make our stay even better, the hotel provided foam flooring around the slides to ensure that both adults and children didn't burn their feet after going down the slides, the free buggy rides to the beach, and the fact that we where given a packed lunch on our way home. The staff at the hotel where also brilliant our cleaner did a wonderful job of cleaning our room every day and the lobby bar staff where always warm and welcoming especially Moatz All and Mohamed Gelany. This Hotel is amazing and we will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank emms2511
Reviewed 2 July 2014

good family hotel. room got the most simple (well, bought standard), the furniture is old, cleaned every day. cleaners to not speak Russian. instead of asking to clean the bathroom - brought iron! but what was ironed things :-) bedding changed a couple of times, although the child was being written. in the main restaurant food is monotonous, but the choice is. the waiters are friendly, although caught and boorish (but it happens everywhere). sit at the reception and the Russian-speaking, but if you ask for something to do - have a long wait. if that happened to better handle the girl Yana! always will, tell, tell. very sweet and knowing his work girl! separate her thanks! also thank Mr. Hanni. lost his cap and glasses in the room ... lost things could not find, so he invited the boy and from there he brought the whole package of different caps))) choose! many pools, all have beach boys who keep order. can not ride at the water park with the clock, and other chains - should strictly! Kids Club just gorgeous! the kids were thrilled! hardly waiting to be discovered! fled there and did not go away! thanks to Tanya, Nina and Oksana - Russian-speaking girls! Animation on the beach and the pool is not intrusive, but interesting. charge in the morning is very invigorating. Nina, Dali, DJ Mido, Mido decorated my rest. I will remember for a long time the most gracious words. Hope to meet again. Oksana like yoga. most delicious mojitos in the lobby.

Room Tip: in the eighth case very small rooms and no elevator. in the seventh simple standards. suites in the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Татьяна Б
Dieter G, General Manager at Steigenberger Aqua Magic, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having spared the time to review our Steigenberger Aqua Magic on Trip advisor. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our team members, our Magic Tots kids club and about our animation team. Please accept our apologies for the misunderstanding concerning your request for cleaning your room.

We sincerely hope that you and your family will choose to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I would not recommend this hotel. I have been there for five days. To be honest, overall I was disappointed and I can judge that it was poor hotel I have ever stayed at. Very long waiting time for check-in, extremely bad services, careless staff, bad room (at least at the block I was staying at, block #7). Electricity went out several times! Some aspect was good though; the food, Hotel location, and the aqua premises were lovely! If I decide to go to Hurghada in future then surely I would never select this hotel. Not bad intentions but this is the impression I have about this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank BrightstarUK

Dear guest,

Greetings from Steigenberger Aqua Magic and thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.
It is our priority to satisfy our guests, to respect their wishes and to keep our hotel service and hospitality according to the Steigenberger standards. We very much regret that we have not been able to succeed in fulfilling your expectations.

Further to this we wish to seize the opportunity to sincerely apologize for the difficulties which you faced during your stay in our property and for the behavior of certain team members, which was extended to your good self. We informed the concerned department heads and we will take the necessary actions, as this does certainly not reflect our usual service standards.

On behalf of the hotel management we wish to apologize once again for the inconvenience which you encountered during your precious holiday time.

We sincerely hope that you will give us a second chance in the not too distant future in order to make up for your experience.

Until then we remain with kind regards from Hurghada

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I would recommend this hotel, I Found the hotel very clean and all the facilities are up to scratch.
All the staff are very helpful and friendly, Yasmin manger of Guest relation was very helpful arranging late check out, the Bar manager & a la carte restaurant manager are very welcoming.
The employee who stood out for me the most was Adam at the breeze bar great laugh and good at his job. great facilities for kids if your taking the whole family

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your positive review on this website. It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Steigenberger Aqua Magic on your recent holiday in Egypt. We were truly delighted to read that you found our property very clean and the facilities up to scratch. Thank you for highlighting certain team members, I will happily share your feedback with them.

We hope it will not be too long before you will visit us again.

Best regards