“Fantastic family holiday”

Ranked #126 of 221 Hotels in Hurghada
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic family holiday”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I honestly dont understand how this hotel gets bad reviews.

This hotel is lovely, the staff are so welcoming and work so hard. The pool is cleaned morning, afternoon and night. Cannot fault the staff in any way.

The rooms are super clean, a little outdated but we were more than happy with them plus we got beautiful towel art daily! We made friends with our cleaner.

Food was lovely, loads of variety and we really enjoyed the nightly bbq. There is loads for kids that dont need processed chicken nuggets to survive! We went to Egypt not southend on sea!! If you want English ham egg n chips and a hotel full of English people stay in England.

The hotel was a mix of people from the UK Germany Holland and Russia and that was fine by me. Everyone was pleasant and there were no issues all week

I asked for a room upgrade to the main hotel based on reviews on here. I got this free, I asked for a late check out and got 2 extra hours free.

The entertainment isnt great but by 11pm when it finished if like me you have kids your shattered anyway. If you dont have kids the sister hotel has a nightclub.

The hotel has recently been taken over by Turkish owners and lots seems to be being upgraded already so think this will be a good thing.

There is beautician, spa, shops and taxis within the hotel and a cash point to withdraw or change money 24/7 which was really cheap and a good rate.

Best thing about this hotel is they really cater for kids. The staff go out there way and they will do anything for you. If you are really fussy with food you can get fresh pancakes and omlettes made a breakfast. Pizza, fried chicken/fish and chips at lunch and there is loads of options at dinner.

Will defo go back an amazing holiday that I didnt want to end.

• Stayed June 2014
7 Thank daniellenkaela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Reception - Main entrance that contains shops and main bar. Very friendly staff. Lifts are a bit rickety and not for the faint hearted. Games room has seen better days.
Restaurant - Typical Eyptian all inclusive grub. Will never win any awards but usually something rdible to have.
Bar - Help yourself tea, coffeee and soft drinks are good.
Rooms - Not ultra modern but comfortable and modern.
Pools and slides - Excellent kids pool and slides.
We stayed in March.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Trainslag
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I don't know where to start.1st of all this is a very honest review. Il start with good points 1st.we travelled with a 3yr old and the kids pools are fantastic he loved it.the waterpark is also brill.and the pools are clean and they close them at 1pm every day aswell to clean them. If you want to go on an excursion go on the sahara park it was the highlight of our holiday fantastic quads,camels mountain climb meal and show and much more! Had to add that excursion in! If you want a taxi,DO use the hotel taxi decent prices and they pick u back up and bang on time and u feel lots safer the blue and orange 1s are dodgy i wouldn't trust them at all!! Also something good near the hotel is the senzo mall small walk but very hot weather to walk to in! It has good shops and a great kids arcade although the playgym inside looks brill don't be fooled our child came out with black socks and hands and i mean black it was filthy!! We went to the marina aswell and got fooled into going in a shop for a business card do not do it he tried keeping us there! Nice marina though but do not go out of it onto the shopping street not good, my chap saw a guy with a handgun just walking around like normal lukily we saw this sat in the taxi onway back.anyway back to the hotel.the 1st week entertainment was good kenyan acrobats,fire show.the music and kids disco r same every night tho very annoying and mostly german and russian songs. The 2nd week was repeated so fed up stayed in room. The breakfast food is nice pancakes choclate sauce and croissants and dohnuts is what we lived off. The snack bar is ok i guess chips, burgers, pizza. Bad points now already. Food 1st.lunch and tea are rubbish hardly ate.the restaurant is chaotic and the waiters really pissed me off always hangin round as soon as u finished they whip it off you and when u have an empty glass it goes straight away u don't even have chance to refill. Also we had to ask for plates 1 day. Glasses twice and spoons. My partner picked up a glass it was dirty with all the rest, he had to ask for clean and whilst waiting other people were filling dirty glasses without realizing, disgusting.the snack bar is really unclean aswell to be honest i don't rate the whole hotels cleanliness much at all and while we were there food inspectors were in aswel. I got ill and i blame the pop on pump.i stopped drinkin it and it was better.i think it was mixed with there water when u ran it, it even looked like water coming out. The hotel reception and especially by the bottom of the steps and lift it stank like sick and stale beer horrible. Our room wasn't kept that clean either.1 day my child got chocolate on the quilt.that night when i put him in bed the chocolate was undaneath where the cleaner turned the quilt and didnt change it.dirty! The pool staff are nice and friendly but get annoying- the bar staff at pool bar are nice but the 1s inside hotel and admiral bar are horrid rude and dont understand good english. The russians are proper rude aswell too many germans and russians. They are really revealing in what they wear at pools aswell! It was like thong and speedo parade around kids pool and they let kids go in naked not nice to see.ooh forgot to say the private beach is lovely get the bus outside hotel every 15 mins dont go to the aladdin 1 it's rubbish. Overall the excursion and kids pool made the hol thats it. I doubt brits will be able to go now anyway as new people have taken over and we heard they were taking it out of english books! Oh shame.NOT

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Katie N
Kent
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This review is from our visit over xmas 2013-2014. We arrived on the 18th and left New Years Day.

The hotel was always clean and tidy, and never had much of an issue with the staff - only the bartenders who insist in throwing around your drinks while they are giving them to you - it gets old very quick and is just an annoyance. There were also waiters in the lift all the time all day wanting tips to press buttons. We decided to walk the stairs (we were on the top floor) to avoid them but it also good for the exercise. Reception were friendly although they never had change until I said without change I wouldn't be able to leave them a tip. Then it suddenly appeared.

They had security on the door, but it was non-existent really. I was always walking through setting off the alarms and no-one said anything. When we went bowling at the Aladdin across the road, I got fully frisked. At Christmas Eve there was a lot of security around the main lobby and people patrolling every floor. You didn't know whether it made you feel safe, or worried they were expecting something.

The rooms were always clean and tidy. Cleaners were in every day. The safe in the room was free to use which was great. As a family who usually go to the Canaries and used to paying £20 for its use, it was an unexpected surprise. The televisions had the usual news channels (CNN and BBC), a movies channel and one that showed TV shows in English. Not bad if you're stuck in the room.

The facilities are great. The swimming pool is huge and heated which is great in December. But the pool bar was not operational - shame. The rafting was fun and the slides good fun. There was one I couldn't go on due to weight limits (the first one) as they thought I would shoot over the top of it. That did happen on another one too. I apologise to everyone who heard me swear at the top of my voice as I flew off the top (apart from those who laughed). They are great fun tbh and pass time.

Sitting around the pool there was always music blasting out. It wasn't ever too loud, but the DJ likes rap and that was the majority of what he played, with all the swearing. I'm a fan of Eminem, 2Pac, Biggie, et al, but I can understand why parents got upset with their kids listening to it. Some parents complained to the hotel, but were told it was nothing to do with them, and the guy playing the music just didn't care. I was expecting one of the parents to smash the music hut one night to stop it. Thankfully I think they got the message as for the last few days all they played was cheesy pop and a bit of country music.

The entertainment team were trying to do a good job but it was obvious they had very little budget to do anything. Trying to play darts with darts that have no points and just fly back at you was not fun. I even offered to go and buy them a new dart board and darts, but a few days later one turned up. The football was poor though. It was mostly little kids playing and as soon as the game started, the people running it just walked off and left a bunch of 4-10 year old's on their own. Wouldn't be so bad but the pitch is not within the hotel so anyone could come along to it.

There is a really nice pool table but you don't pay per game, but for an hour of play which was 6 euro's. Ok if you want a lot of games, not so great if your child wants a quick game before dinner. Table tennis was free though. Wi-fi was pretty expensive for the poor speed. 6 Euro's for an hours access and it took 40 minutes just to download my emails. I had trouble at times just getting the football scores to load up. I don't think this was actually run by the hotel though so it might be bad to blame this on them. Worth noting there was a bar on the second floor which was closed but we managed to get them to open it up for the football one night as there were lots of English wanting to watch it.

As we were there over Christmas and New Year, they had some raffles on to win prizes. DO NOT BUY TICKETS. They were 10 Euro's each. For Christmas we were told prizes ranged from a free stay at the hotel to high quality jewellery. All they gave out as prizes were bottles of alcohol - and they were not premium ones but the same drinks you got on the all inclusive option. The entertainment team were getting a lot of stick for it but it was not their fault as it appeared their management had lied to them (then entertainment team were provided by a third party and did not actually work for the hotel). The good prizes were only for the New Years raffle. Suffice to say very few people bought them for the New Years one, although they did give out 2 jewellery prizes (one men's and one women's) but the free stay never made an appearance.

Food - the biggest issue. I had no problems at all but I think that's down to my mothers food giving me an iron stomach over the years. There was always beef and rice, a pasta station (which did great eggs in the morning) and fish. I think a lot of people were put off by the names where they had translation issues. The only thing I would recommend you stay away from is the mushrooms. They did not taste right and my sister came ill from eating them spending the last three days in bed (inc New Years Eve). It was touch and go whether she would make it back on the plane or not as her stomach was so bad. It took over a month to fully recover from it. If you really get stuck though, you can get McDonalds and KFC delivered to the hotel. Just ask at reception and they will arrange it for you. Lunch at the poor bar was poor. You got a burger of hot dog and a handful of chips (and yes I mean handful as it thrown on your plate by hand). The food in the restaurant was like dinner and much better.

We only ventured outside the hotel once as we heard too many bad stories from other people, and that was to go down to the beach. The water is clear and great, but the beach was not the greatest. There was also a bar there which looked better then the pool bar at the hotel, but was really just the same. We stayed for an hour before getting the bus back.

Overall it was a good holiday, but it is what you make it. We looked at going back this year for Christmas and New Year, but they have put the prices up quite a bit (above what it is really worth) so we have opted to try Sharm instead. Would I go again - probably. But not for the prices they are currently charging.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main block.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank AlmostFamous24
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Was a very clean hotel the food was by far the worst we have ever experienced the entertainment was dreadful and very unaimaginitive the sister hotel had a al a carte restaurant which we found to be very nice so we highly recommend you go and have a nice meal over there the staff were very friendly and helpful

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank lfarrow
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel may 23rd to June 6th and I don't normally write reviews but felt I needed to defend this hotel as it is far from terrible! I travelled with my husband, mum and 2 kids aged 7 and 11and had a brilliant experience here. The kids had a fab time in the waterpark and we did a few trips which were well organised, including a short trip to swim with dolphins which they loved! The food is typically Egyptian and I admit the breakfast is poor but the rest of the hotel made up for this and would never put me off going back. Also, my son is very fussy but he always found something and amazingly never complained about the food and they do serve chips, burgers etc.at the snack bar 11am till 4 every day, you can also get lovely hotdogs and fries at the beach bar for us British! We found that a simple smile goes a long way and in return we were treated like royalty. On a few occasions the chef even prepared a special meal for our kids and made them a fabulous desert one night. All the staff at this hotel worked so hard to make sure we had the best time from the minute we arrived till the minute we left and any problems were always dealt with straight away. This hotel might not be for everyone but I feel some of these reviews cruel and unnecessary, I would recommend this hotel to families, don't let reviews like this put you off!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
16 Thank debbiebam
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Travelled on the 20th may 2014 for 14 days. and it is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed at.

The staff were all male and acted as though they had never seen a woman before , we couldn't sunbathe or eat without being sexually harassed by the staff.

The food was inedible and the restaurant wasn't open the hours stated in the Hotels guide , 12 hours per day no food at all was available.

The staff at the pool bar would serve you liquor but if you wanted juice in it you had to get out of the pool and get your own.

The pool closes at 1pm in the afternoon supposedly for 30 minutes but one day it was almost 90 minutes, why this is in such heat I have no idea.
The life guards on the pool are constantly trying to chat women up insted of doing their jobs and we had to pull 2 flailing children from the water ourselves on 2 separate occasions , when approached we were told your all English you should be looking after each other

The reception staff didn't understand enough English to understand complaints.

The mosque is about 400 metres away and the noise will make you before the birds do.

The Hotel booked us places on a bus that was supposed to take us to the Marina ...it drops you off a 10 minute walk from the Marina in a scary dirty slum.

The only good points is the reception bar opens 24hrs a day and the Hotel is kept nice and clean.

Be aware that as soon as you get into Hurghada Airport you will be pounced on to buy a visa , this isn't optional and the people selling them aren't officials and they grab your passport if they can.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are TWO Titanic Aqua Parks in Hurghada.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family