“Home from Home! :)”
Review of Old Palace Resort

Old Palace Resort
Ranked #50 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just got back from a week at this property. My partner and i booked through secret escapes for the first time. This was our 4th time to Egypt but first visit to Sahl Hasheesh. Had read some of
the reviews and will agree that the Hotel is a bit tired round the edges but for cleanliness, comfort and lovely rooms (we had a chalet) it's as good as other hotels in the Hurghada area. The room we had was very spacious, lovely Super King size bed which again very comfy, lots of storage, large flat screen tv. Great bathroom with walk in shower and separate bath. The room was kept immaculate by our cleaner who always greeted us with a big smile and very polite.
The food selection is enough even for the finicky. I have seen larger buffets but we found ample and you will not go hungry, beef, chicken, fish, pasta, lots of different salads, breads and deserts! There is only 1 a la carte restaurant but it is the best i have ever been to out of all the other hotels we've been to, we were so pleasantly surprised with the Italian and spoke to others that said the same. The Pool is huge and very clean, there are plenty of beds for everyone you don't have to "claim" your bed early.
At this present time the hotel is making pleasant changes to the pool area and this would not interrupt your stay as they do this at night. We were actually shown the plans by a manager as he saw us guessing what all these people were discussing!
The animation team work tirelessly and obviously enjoy what they do, and what i liked is that if like me you have experienced nearly being pulled off your sunbed to join in something, here it's not like that, they will speak to you politely and mention that if you'd like to join in then do. You don't have to pretend to be asleep! (pointed out in the comedy show) so true and funny.
The shows aren't west end but at the end of the day we don't go away for this! I'm sure as this hotel grows so will the amenities.
Now the bit we were so overwhelmed with.....The staff, how one hotel can get the most happy, polite, helpful bunch from the room attendants, gardeners, animation, waiters and pool staff, up to managers and above i don't know, but we witnessed other guests tearful saying their goodbyes and even certain staff came to us to say goodbye as we were leaving and they wouldn't see us. They truly made our holiday, even the lifeguard lent his phone for us to check our flight times!!
This hotel is managed by a superb team actually interested in your comments and always asking if you're having a good time, you end up feeling at home among friends :)
Can't wait to go back and we definitely will, thanks for a most relaxing, happy time everyone

Room Tip: Chalet rooms are light and spacious and close to everything
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robroy214
MANAGEMENTOLDPALACE, Manager at Old Palace Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Greetings from Old Palace Resort,

On behalf of Old Palace Management Team , we would like to thank you very much for your valuable detailed experiences expressed through your precious time , also we would like to thank you about your compliment comments about the Italian restaurant & the Management team ,

Just to be sure that we are taking all your concern very positive to enhance our product and services,

All team members are are waiting to welcome you soon as you promised.

Kind Regards,
TS

There are newer reviews for Old Palace Resort

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Old Palace Resort and were extremely happy to have done so.
The hotel is located approx 30 mins from the airport. Sahl Hasheesh itself is accessed via a security check point which just adds to the feeling of safety. Initial impressions of the hotel were great. The lobby is spotless beneath a huge domed ceiling. Check in was easy and we were walked to our rooms straight away. We had a room were which had a real wow factor. The doors opened up onto the Sea Breeze swimming pool which was yards away.
We got ourselves settled and headed out for dinner. The main restaurant is modern and clean with lots of staff walking around relaying tables, replenishing the food and getting drinks. There is a salad bar, lots of breads, an area for the main courses and a separate area for desserts. There is also a separate area for other specials (depending on what is being cooked that day) and a few options for kids.
The food itself, which of good quality, is a little limited in terms of options. Whilst I ate everyday, there just didn't seem to be any structure in terms of the menu. We have stayed at other hotels where there are usually themed nights where you can find yourself something to eat and whilst I am not saying themed nights are the be all and end all, you usually know in advance that you will be able to eat something from such menus.
Breakfast again had the same limited choice of hot food but there is always the option of omelettes freshly prepared, pasties, fruit, yoghurt, etc.
Lunch is a bit strange as it is essentially a repeat of what would be served in the evening, i.e quite heavy like a proper dinner. There are snacks available by the main pool but these were quite limited in terms of options and only available for a couple of hours each day.
Hot drinks and soft drinks are available self service in the main restaurant at all meals.
Having explored the hotel further, there is a main pool adjacent to the beach which has a bar, there is a lobby bar, an outdoor sheesha area, a bar by the Sea Breeze bar, a nightclub and games room.
We settled for the Sea Breeze pool everyday as it was directly outside the room. There were always plenty of beds available. There is a kids pool which leads into a main pool and then a heated jacuzzi pool.
Special mentions and thanks have to go to Hazem at the pool bar and Nasser the lifeguard, both of whom looked after us fantastically every day. I can't remember the last time when I had to get up as few times as I did to get a drink with Hazem coming round to bring drinks regularly and Nasser ensuring towels and beds were ready for us every day.
Drinks are served in plastic glasses by both pools and in small glasses in the lobby bar and restaurant. I stuck to beer which was generally ok but I do think that guests should be provided with an entire bottle rather than having a glass of beer.
The kids mini disco in the evening is held either in the nightclub or the outside area by the main pool. The songs are mainly Russian and the a animation team running the mini disco were Russian so our daughter was somewhat excluded because she was desperate to join in but couldn't because she didn't understand what was being said. More about this later.
I didn't stay to see the entertainment in the evening so can't comment on this properly. The sheesha area was showing the Champions League games so I watched a couple of those.
My wife completed a guest comments card and returned it to reception. Upon return to our room that evening, we were greeted by a letter asking us to see the general manager the following day. The issues we had mentioned on the comments card were in regards to the kids disco and the food. We met Khaled the following day who sat and listened to our feedback. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing this but he confirmed they are in the process of recruiting a British national to deal with British/Western European guests, as well as building a bigger kids club by the beach. In terms of food, Khaled advised they are currently working on a plan to turn the nightclub into a sports bar which will serve bar snacks, which will be more suitable for lunchtime food. This will enhance the hotels facilities immensely. Thanks to Khaled for taking the time to speak to us as it shows just how seriously they are taking feedback.
I have to say that there are quite a few members of staff from the spa walking round all day and it does become a little tiresome waving them away but you can get something to hang on your sun umbrella to advise them not to disturb you.
Our room was cleaned every day by Yasser who always had a smile on his face.
In terms of staff, every single one smiled, spoke to us, spoke to our daughter and generally made us feel very comfortable. Other mentions go to Alaa at the pool bar who always welcomed me and Chico from the animation team who took some time to sit down with me one evening to have a chat about football, music, etc, even though he had only been at the hotel for a short period of time.
The hotel was apparently totally full but it never appeared that way as never at any time did I think it was crowded.
In terms of occupancy, there were mainly Russian guests with a smattering of Western Europeans. All I can say is smile, be polite to the staff and tip where you feel necessary as it will get you a long way in terms of service.
We were given a late check out which helped as we weren't flying until late evening.
For the first time in a while, I actually was a little sad at having to leave the hotel as it is an absolute gem. On most occasions I'm happy to leave for the airport but not this time.
If the hotel keeps on improving and listening to the feedback from their guests, this is going to turn into one of the best hotels in Hurghada and I for one will be delighted to return.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank seanmc79

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Old Palace Resort, we would like to thank you very much for your very detailed review and we are appreciating your valuable time spent at such compliment words , which you use to express your Holiday,
Just be sure that all Old Palace management are taking your concern positively to enhance our products & services , looking forward to welcoming you soon as you promised.

Kind Regards,
TS

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Last week of Easter Holidays I returned for the 4th time. This time with my wife, son-in-Law and 2 grandchildren. The welcome was wonderful, while waiting for check-in several members of staff
saw me and came over to be introduced to my family, they could not believe so many people
remembered me.
Service as usual was excellent, because there was six of us on occasions we had trouble finding a table in the dining room but we only had to ask and tables were re-arranged to accommodate us.My grandchildren are 6 & 10 and had no trouble finding finding something to eat, especially the barbeque outside. We spoke to another couple who had transferred from the Titanic because
they couldn't eat the food.
The main entertainment that week was a fire show and it was amazing with fire juggling as well as fire eaters.
My Grand-daughter learn't to snorkel in the pool and even ventured into the sea a couple of times. The rest of the family enjoyed the snorkelling. The dive office on the hotel has had to close but we found a very good one just up the beach called pro divers corner and the 10year old grandson completed his open water dive course with them. do not book with the man on the beach as he knows nothing about diving and is very expensive.
I have read other recent reviews and people want different things from holidays but I have to say
between 4 adults we all always found good food, some liked the white wine, some the red,
whisky and cola, G & T and cocktails went down very well and all staff made my family feel very welcome. This is the first hotel I have returned to so many times and now I have taken the wife
I think there will be several more!
A big thank-you to all staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Paul H

Greetings from sunny Old Palace Resort,
We would like to thank you very much for the valuable time you have dedicated to to express your experiences at our resort , It was a welcome you at the Old Palace Resort, We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular...

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We have just spent 2 weeks at the beautiful Old Palace Hotel in Hurghada, this is a 'must go to place' if you are looking for a spotless hotel run by a very hands on General Manager, Mr khaled, who is really interested in your views and will go the extra mile to ensure he can do the utmost to make your experience in his hotel the best he possibly can. He even arranged for my husband to be able to see the Liverpool v Man City match by setting up a television in his conference room. The food range was very good, with an excellent choice of fish, meat and salads, the variety and quality of the breads and soups were outstanding. We were allocated a Chalet room which was super, very spacious and modern also in an ideal location for us, the gardens are beautiful as is the location and setting for this hotel.
We also ate twice at the Italian restaurant, once complementary and it was so good we paid for a second night there, the food quality and presentation was outstanding.

The greatest asset of this hotel is undoubtedly all its staff, from the GM to Yasser who serves on the pool bar, Yasser from housekeeping, who kept our room spotless for two weeks and especially Hussein from the garden pool who kept us amused for two weeks solid. Nothing was too much trouble for any single one of them.
There are minor issues with the dress code for evening dinner with some of the guests, however the Management are fully aware of this and are making strides to address the issue, some improvement could be made to the animation team and programme for the evening entertainment, but overall an excellent holiday and we shall definitely return.

Room Tip: The Chalet rooms are in an excellent location for pools, beach and all amenities
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PJShols
MANAGEMENTOLDPALACE, Manager at Old Palace Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Good day from the Old Palace Resort

We would like to thank you very much for the valuable time you have dedicated to write your comments about your stay lately in our hotel. It was a privilege to host you at the Old Palace Resort.

We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest at our property, and we wish you all the best.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Having a wonderful time, spotless hotel, all amenities close, beach, pool, restaurant and bars! Italian complimentary meal was outstanding! We will be sorry to leave on Friday! We stayed for 3 nights and then travelled to Luxor to join a nile cruise on m/s niledolphin for 7 nights which again, was wonderful , then back here for 4 nights! 2temptu travel were great

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jjfandthegrazers
MANAGEMENTOLDPALACE, Manager at Old Palace Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed at the Old Palace Resort 28th March until 5th April. Booked this holiday in January after reading the good reviews on Trip Advisor, and must say we weren't disappointed. Very clean hotel so near to a lovely beach and sparkling Red Sea. Although we didn't upgrade to one of the lovely chalet rooms we were not disappointed as our room had such a beautiful sea view!
We really enjoyed the lovely food which was always plentiful and the sweets were amazing!
The spirits which were served for all-inclusive were not brilliant, the wine was drinkable though.
I agree with many of the other reviews that the staff at this hotel were fantastic! cleaners, bar staff everyone were always checking to see if everything was ok. At the end of the holiday the management also came to check if our stay had been a good one and also were keen to hear any feedback.
As this visit was only for seven days we decided to use the time relaxing which is certainly what we did. Next time we return we would like to go on one or two of the excursions on offer and see a lot more Egypt.
At the Old Palace Resort we were made to feel very comfortable, welcome and safe and I would definitely return!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank linda-sh-100

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had a week stay here on all inclusive. Check in was friendly and efficient and we were allocated to our deluxe rooms. Rooms were very clean, nicely decorated, nice powerful shower and plenty of storage space and water is replaced every day.

The hotel grounds are lovely and right on the beach. Unlike some hotels nearby you can walk straight into the sea for snorkeling rather than having to walk out miles on a floating pontoon. The hotel itself if beautifully designed and gives the feel of a smaller friendly hotel. The hotel is on a promenade which goes the entire length of Sahl Hashish and you can hire bikes or a golf buggy to ride around. There is a very quiet shopping plaza a few of minutes walk or ride along the promenade and we weren't hassled at all.

Food was always good with plenty of choice and always very hot with an outside grill each night. It was nice to be able to have wine anywhere in the hotel rather than just in the restaurant as is the case in some hotels.

Sahl Hashish is around 15 mins from Hurghada and there is a very reasonable taxi service available if you wish to head there or to one of the big shopping centres. We much preferred it to the hustle and bustle of Hurghada and would definitely recommend this hotel. It was fabulous.

Whilst there, I used Aquarius diving centre at the Citadel Azur Hotel just down the road, they were excellent and picked me up each morning from my hotel.

Overall I will most definitely return to this hotel and I loved the resort area as it was beautiful. Staff at the Old Palace were some of the best I have met in Egypt, helpful, polite and could not do enough for us. I felt sorry for them with some of the Russian guests who were rude beyond belief.

Many thanks to the hotel and we hope to return soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends