“First holiday together (:”
Review of Old Palace Resort

Old Palace Resort
Ranked #47 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
London, United Kingdom
“First holiday together (:”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

For a couples first retreat, Old Palace Resort was definitely a wise choice on our behalf. The staff were friendly and welcoming and did their very best to facilitate all of our needs. The hotel excelled itself from the quality of the food to the cleanliness of the rooms. Would definitely visit again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
MANAGEMENTOLDPALACE, Guest Relations Manager at Old Palace Resort, responded to this review, 4 August 2014

Good day from the Old Palace Resort

We would like to thank you very much for the valuable time you have dedicated to write your comments about your stay lately in our hotel. It was a privilege to host you at the Old Palace Resort.

We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest at our property, and we wish you all the best.

Guest Relation

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I went with my boyfriend to the Old Palace Resort on the 11th July for a week and when we arrived we were blown away by the gorgeous lobby area which is really stunning when you arrive at the hotel. Also when we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly man who then showed us to check in and our suitcases were taken to our room for us which was nice.
Only negative I would say is that when we got their we were told that our original booked room which was a double room superior sea view was only avaliable with twin beds and being a couple we didn't want this! So we had the choice of that or a upgrade free of charge to another room however it was hardly a sea view room being on the ground floor! The room was very clean and tidy, and this was kept clean throughout our stay. I would like to also add the man who cleaned our room was very lovely and we chatted to him everyday. He also made us very sweet towel animals everyday!

We found that the smaller pool near the top of the hotel near the restaurant was the nicest as it was quieter and less hassle. The man behind the pool bar was friendly and sometimes brought drinks over to you. The swimming pools were always kept clean and a man was out there late at night still cleaning. Both pools we didn't have a problem getting a sun bed, the smaller one you have to get up slightly earlier to be able to get some but it was never a problem for us and we usually got there 8.30-9am most mornings. The lifeguard was also lovely round the small pool and very hard working and keeping the place tidy. The pool bar at the large pool was a nice touch also. The problem we found with the big pool and our main nag was the spa people and others Trying to sell excursions whilst we were round the pool. I was once asleep and a man kept saying hello hello over and over which woke me. We found that the first day we said maybe later or tomorrow to get them away but that was the worst thing to do as kept coming back- so just say no! And should be okay. We said we had no money left and they quickly left us alone.

The worst part of our trip to old palace was the food unfortunately but we have since realised it may just be because we are getting fed up of all inclusive holidays. However I do think the food was sometimes quite repetitive. I also found that it would have been nice to have a big tuna salad or nice sandwich for lunch rather than a hot lunch (with rice, again!!!) as then you didn't really look forward to dinner. We said next time we would bring more money to go out to a restaurant to make a change. I'm not a vegetarian myself but I would say there wasn't always a great selection with the fish being repetive. We found that the food was also never piping hot. But all in all the good was okay I just wouldn't say 5*. However the waiters were helpful.

Regarding the Russians we didn't have a huge problem with them. I only had someone push in once and a couple take our umbrella at the sun bed whilst we were at lunch but all in all they are fine and I was worried about it before I went.

We loved the entertainment team especially dodge and ali who were fab! Dodge has got the moves too with his dancing and those songs are still stuck in my head now! They are always chatty and friendly and all in all fantastic and spoke fantastic English.

One more tip is to be careful when you leave the hotel and walk towards the promenade and the row of shops there as we decided to one afternoon and we got almost dragged into a shop selling perfumes and they shut the door behind on us which was quite scary! Again, the best thing to do is just say no even if they say 2 minutes of your time as we said okay and it didn't work out good.

Shoutout to terri as it was nice to have someone English at reception to help us out and she was very friendly when we arrived.

All in all old palace is a beautiful hotel and we could not fault the surroundings and the hotel in general. We felt very relaxed all the time and it was very peaceful even though the hotel was 95% full. It was lovely for us as a couple and the weather was perfect, blue skies everyday and not too overbearing heat due to the breeze.

Thanks!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grace D

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The holiday started off badly with the visa issue. I looked online before we left to see what we would be expected to pay and the going rate was $25. I had my $150 ready, the sign as we entered was $25 each, however, were told by a very aggressive Egyptian that it was $35 each as there was a $10 government tax!!! Started arguing, as did everyone around me and in the end had to pay £122. As we were going through to get the passport stamped, I told the security man in a white uniform what had happened. He became extremely aggressive and I felt very intimidated. He said that if I was making the allegation up we would all be sent back on the first flight to England! The man who took our money came over and I realised at this point that I had to back-pedal or we would be sent back. They are all crooks as they just put the money in their pockets.

We arrived at the hotel and I had sent an earlier email requesting an upgrade. Unfortunately this was not possible so we had our original sea view superior rooms. It took 45 minutes to sort the rooms out and when we arrived at them there were only 2 beds not 3 in each as we had requested.

The main part of a holiday for me is the food and I was extremely disappointed with the lack of choice, flavour and repetitiveness. All the waiters were rude apart from the restaurant manager Hassan Hassan who was always helpful. There was no bottled water available at the outside bars and the only water available was warm! We all had to drink fizzy drinks in order to get a cold drink.

As a precaution I had taken a private prescription with me in case of stomach upsets and I am so glad I did. We are a family of 6 and we all had an upset with my daughter being the worst followed myself and one of my sons. We were so careful with hand sanitiser etc, watching what we ate and drank, but my daughter was extremely poorly.

Each year we usually go to a 5* rated hotel, however, this was definitely not 5*more a 3.5 - 4. The building was impressive, but the bedrooms and bathrooms needed updating. Only one restaurant and one Italian (had to pay for this one), Wi-Fi chargeable, which is ridiculous, snooker was chargeable and the water sports on the beach were extremely expensive. My son spoke to the person on the beach who ran the watersports about the prices, trying to get them cheaper but he wasn't interested. Hence there was rarely anyone doing anything. Snorkelling was great. Not a great deal to do for older children and the hotel was full of extremely rude Russians. Terri in reception was very helpful.

All in all, not one of our better holidays.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Rhiannon P
Nottingham
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Whilst the original address for the Old Palace resort says Hurghada, it is situated in Sal Hasheesh which is a million miles from Hurghada. Sal Hasheesh is an altogether classier destination and whilst the Old Palace is not one of the more expensive hotels in the bay it has a lot to commend it.
We stopped in one of the chalet rooms which looked like they had been recently refurbished. A super large bed with a lounge area and a fully equipped bathroom with shower and bath. The room was easily comparable with the rooms we have had at Premier la Reve a hotel that is considerably more expensive than the Old Palace.
The majority of meals were taken in the dining room were there is always a large selection of salads, hot meals and desserts. The food is of a good standard, but is what you would expect of all inclusive resort anywhere in the world. The italian restaurant was superb and well worth a visit.
Some reviews complain about the russian guests and I guess they have different habits to western europeans as you would probably guess. They tend to arrive when the restaurant opens gather their three courses all together , eat and then leave. we took to eating an hour after the restaurant opened (about 8ish) and were never bumped or rushed and certainly did not have to witness the lack of manners they tended to show the staff. This is of course a sweeping generalisation because I met some very polite and grateful russian guests.There was always plenty of food options and the staff refilled the food regularly throughout the evening.
There were some issues with dress codes at the start of the vacation but Khaled the excellent manager made real efforts to control this and within a few days swimming trunks, vests and flip flops were banished from the restaurant. He was everywhere in the hotel all the time and it was clear he was driving the standards of the hotel upwards.
We spent most of our time around the smaller pool and never had a problem getting a sunbed or having our glasses refilled. A few egyptian pounds go along way and we certainly found plenty of reasons to tip the excellent customer service we received.
We did not really spend much time with the animation team and it seemed to be very low key and based mainly near the beach closer to the larger pool. We spent more time chatting with friends over a drink near the lobby bar area.
I would certainly visit Sal Hasheesh again (the piazza is beautiful and when it is all finished it will be fantastic) and the Old palace resort is a great option I will be happy to re-visit.

Room Tip: the chalet rooms were near the quieter pool and are recommended
4 Thank JCN48

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Arrived Tuesday 15 July for one week I am writing this review halfway through our break myself and 3 friends arrived at about 2230 hrs we were met at reception with a cool drink then a young English girl named Terri introduced herself as a member of the reception team . Well this lady is a credit to the hotel she explained everything we needed to hear and more .as we are 4 males we like a drink a bit late so she suggested the super all.inclusive as this would save money because the all,inclusive drinks ends around 23.30 .we also received room upgrades this also got us free wifi for the week as you have to purchase wifi we also received large bottles of soft drinks in our mini bar and daily plates of fruit.we had twin bedded rooms these were very comfortable very large tv with some movie channels a large bathroom with shower and bath .very very good aircon.pools are also good there is a little bit of work being done but this does not affect your holiday . Meals breakfast is plentiful and good choices really nice lunch maybe a little more variation but fine then evening meal is also very good small note there is a slight dress code men no flip,flops but decent shorts and polo shirts are fine .as the hotel is right on the beach there are plenty of sun loungers to round so no mass panic for a bed also no pestering from people trying to sell trips/souvenirs. The hotel is about 40 minute taxi ride away from town if you want a private taxi return at your own timings cost us le300 phoned hotel taxi driver to pick us up no problems .there is a shuttle hotel bus will give you around 1/30 hr in town this I believe will cost only le 50 .all staff are really friendly throughout the hotel . So all in all at this moment I would definitely recommend the old palace .i would like to thank Terri at reception for ensuring all our requests were answered and lastly to mr Khalid the manager a very big well done to you and your staff for operating an excellent hotel thank you

Room Tip: We had ground floor rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank wallywhit2212

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

my husband and i stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks in june/july and had a wonderful time. we upgraded to a junior suite which had a view of the main pool and the sea and the biggest bed we have ever seen, the room was cleaned every day to a very high standard by a very friendly cleaner (sorry cannot remember his name)

we did a visit to Hurgada marina via the hotel shuttle bus. this was well worth going to as there were lots of lovely yachts to see and many waterside cafes. you could also do boat trips from here.

the food was perfectly acceptable every day with plenty of choice, you just have to remember you are in egypt and not england.

With regard to sun beds, we never had a problem whether we wanted beds round pool or on beach and the staff were always there to help if they saw you looking for beds whatever time of day

Overall we had a very good holiday and would not hesitate in recommending this hotel and hopefully look forward to a return visit in the future.

Room Tip: junior suite was wonderful
1 Thank Carole T

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My Partner & I initially spent 2 days here before going to Luxor for a 7 day Nile cruise and the returned to The Old Palace for a further 7 days.
This truly is 5* service and accommodation! The pools, grounds, public areas, apartments and rooms are all kept immaculately clean.
The staff all go out of their way to make your stay a fantastic experience and Khaled the General Manager has even more plans to improve your stay!
The gardens will have even more landscaping, the entertainment is being upgraded and more apartments/rooms will soon be available.
With idyllic views, a short stroll from pool to beach and a short boat ride to beautiful coral reefs, you could not wish for somewhere better to stay.
The food was fantastic and varied.
We will deffinately be going back!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, just depends whether you prefer pool, garden or sea view. This is an all inclus...
2 Thank Barbara H