“Great hotel if you don’t scratch beneath that marble”
Review of Old Palace Resort

Old Palace Resort
Ranked #50 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 4 October 2009

OK, so I’ve read the reviews, scratched my head and all that excitement that I had having booked the Old Palace Resort had slightly evaporated – would it really be that bad?
Now let’s get things into perspective immediately: this is a five star hotel with a three star price tag. So that old adage you get what you pay for must be relevant, and it is. But that’s why we went - it cost two of us just over a thousand for two weeks, if I wanted to be assured something spectacular I would have had to double that price.
So wanting a bargain, and wanting something without mildew on the walls, we booked the Old Palace. And it wasn’t that bad – honestly. It is a good looking hotel; the rooms are just what you’d expect – better than a Travel Lodge not as grand as the Ritz. So that’s a tick for the decor.
The beach is lovely with plenty of sunbeds, sea absolutely wonderful, the pool clean and surrounding area tidy. Another tick.
The restaurant is perhaps a little sterile – just functional. And there isn’t a snacky restaurant for lunch which was a pity. There is a pool bar but no food, just drinks and little snacks like pastries. So all meals are served in the main restaurant. Now, I’ve read about the food but it isn’t that bad, no way! I actually thought it was fine, the choice was good, there were normally two chefs cooking from their stations – and a barbeque outside sometimes. One chef was always serving pasta which was lukewarm, but hey ho, it was edible. Breakfasts were good, the chef cooking omelettes or fried eggs but I was always eating toast so I can vouch for the freshness of the bread! And they also serve a range of traditional Egyptian food – I enjoyed their puds!
A massive tick goes to the staff – absolutely fab! Well mannered, courteous, friendly and polite. OK, a few surly faces behind the bar, but in the restaurant they couldn’t have worked harder for us. And, from talking to one on our last day – Metaz – he said the food was about to change for the better as he was given more control, so fingers crossed.
I think up to this point I’d rate the Old Palace a four star with a must try harder tag. But, as always, there is a but... YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR THINGS. Even shampoo, coffee (there’s a kettle in the room), cups, tissues, so the housekeeping gets a massive cross and I have a feeling management say, ‘Don’t bother restocking the rooms it saves us money!’ Who knows, but this really got my goat and caused us to complain to the management, and things did get better after that...well, for a while.
So for us money conscious bargain hunters it’s a good deal and a fair price for a very fair hotel. For those wanting pure luxury you’ll have to pay top price.
So sit back and relax and don’t worry, you won’t be ultra happy but you’ll be fine.
Oh it is very remote but then Hurghada is a dump so it’s not all bad!

3  Thank lulujack
There are newer reviews for Old Palace Resort

Reviewed 1 October 2009

Like all other reviews on here they are true, the hotel is beautiful you walk in and think hey ive landed a great holiday here. The rooms are big and clean the pool is great the beach is clean and nice. However if you want to lose weight this is the holiday for you.

My partner and I went for one week in sept, our idea was chill for one week drink, eat and realx were both self employed and this was a holiday to relax. However this was not soo much the case.
We are people that never complain when we go away we want to enjoy the sunshine and local food, we dont go away to eat english food otherwise we would stay at home if we were like that however on this ocassion this was the 1st holiday that we lived on chips awful :( .

All I can say is the food is the same day in day out liver, chicken, beef arranged in slightly differnent sauces lol. We ate out a few time in Hurguray which was lovely and we ate at the italian just one minute walk from the beach the food was lovely there what you would expect for going away. Shame the management never ate here.......

There is only on resturant which we liked to call the canteen, the pool has no grill just spam rolls yep you heard it spam rolls. That were left out in the sun. The glasses arent washed properly as a few times my beer taste of ouzo ? not good.

There were lots of people complaining and we were one of them but they didnt seem to understand what was wrong with spam and Liver???? 5* need i say more.

Hotel is 5* but the food i wouldnt feed to a dog.

Get the food sorted and it will be an amazing place to stay.

Please dont book here unless you like spam oh and a dodgy tummy :) and want to come backing having lost some weight

2  Thank lucygid
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Lets get one thing straight before I start this is not a 5 star resort it is 3 star. I have been fortunate enough to stay in 5 & 4 star resorts/hotels in the past all over the globe & this is nowhere near them.

You find my pros & cons below.

Pros

Fantastic building & design
Fantastic pool
Fantastic Views
Very clean
Decent size rooms

Cons

Tables not set in the main dinning area

No cups out for coffee in the morning

Reception staff not interested

By far the major problem with this place is the food. They think fly's in rice, tasteless deserts, school canteen like room & main dishes we would not dream of serving the dog is acceptable. This was possibly the worst place I have ever had to eat. We choose an all inclusive resort to not have worry about what to do at night & what to spend but between the canteen slop & the 20ft bar to serve 600 guests toxic local spirits & warm lager out of a can we where forced to go out. Going out had 2 options the amazing Italian next to the resort or a taxi ride to hurgharda, both had great things to offer. The Italian for amazing food, good wine & a nice relaxing atmosphere or the busy streets of hurgharda, which offered many bars & restaurants.

We had a meeting with the catering manager on the second night & in his defense it slowly improved night by night, if they carried on improving at this rate it will be edible next September.

Outside they have the 'sea-breeze bar & grill' There is no grill! The snack options at midday where.....SPAM ROLLS! By this time we could do nothing but laugh & head for the Italian for a nice lunch.

If this place gets it act together on the following

Drink

I’m sure it could be a very popular resort that has returning guest every year, until then they just send home malnourished disgruntled holiday maker

1  Thank Steve_Rimmer
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a week earlier this month. On first sight you think "Wow" expecially when you enter the hotel, it looks amazing and looks like a 5* hotel. The rooms are extremely large and clean, we had a Deluxe Sea View. The room had the biggest bed we've ever slept in in our lives! The bathrooms could do with a bit of an upgrade but was still clean and functional. The staff can be a bit hit and miss but on the whole if you treat them ok then they are ok with you.
The pool is fantastic and the beach is just a short walk away which again is brilliant with small reefs all around. You do get hassled around the pool and on the beach but we found that it wasn't too bad. Maybe my husband just put them off a bit!!
The entertainment (if you can call it that) by poolside each night is dire, just seemed like they wanted to embarrass people, especially the women as much as possible. Extremely tacky.More Club 18-30 than anything else.
The food, well I was trying to avoid this part. What can I say? 5* it isn't. The food actually got worse as the week progressed. Breakfast is ok as you can get fresh cooked eggs amongst other things. The rest well, like other reviewers have said only beef chicken rice and potatoes. Starch overload! I know it was All Inclusive but I've had far better elsewhere. Also there is distinct lack of staff available. It got so bad that on our last night we decided that we couldn't face another meal at the hotel and decided to go to the Italian restaurant (Fantinis)a short walk along the beach ( and pay for it). The food was a lot better there and quite reasonably priced.
I had a henna tattoo done at the Beauty Clinic in the hotel. When we came to check out the Manager asked us about the problem we had with a towel. We told him that we had had no problem that we recalled. Turned out I had messed up a towel with the henna after cleaning the tattoo and they charged me a whopping 82.50EGP for this!!!! Could not believe it. There was no mention of this until we checked out. SO BEWARE OF HIDDEN COSTS!!
We heard a rumour that Marriott are taking this hotel over in the next few months and bringing in a European workforce and refurbing the place to bring it up to it's true 5* Rating and with only Half Board available and no A/I. It certainly needs something.
We did manage to do a couple of excursions booked through our Rep. There is a quite bit of rivalry between Zoom, stationed at the hotel and the Holiday Company Reps. We did the Sinbad Submarine which is a great experience but overpriced for what it is. Apparently there is nothing to be done about this. Also did the Safari experience which I found absolutely brilliant fun. The Quad Biking was the best and I was laughing out loud to myself on several occasions whilst getting my teeth rattled.
This resort is being developed on a vast scale and will equal Hurghada eventually in size which is a pity as you do get a feel of exclusivity whilst at this hotel. Give it 5 years and you won't recognize the place
It's such a shame that the restaurant really lets this hotel down as it is quite stunning. I wouldn't recommend it due to this fact. Maybe once Marriott have got their hands on it it will be totally different

1  Thank Hamster4
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Have booked this holiday through Qwerty travel whom may i add were excellant everything ran smoothley,
on arrival and first impressions the hotel is lovley.
But i feel i must point out that the hotel is a five star hotel with a 2 star service
Although the Hotel was very clean and the rooms very nice,

The food at the hotel was always rice chicken and beef afternoon and night
the kids table was often the best, chips and pasta, there is a lack of waiters so tables were left dirty and full of dishes, there was also noone to take your drinks order for meals so we had to goto the bar on the way into the restaraunt and collect our own drinks, we ate in the itallian on our last night big mistake, and what dissapointed me most was that there was no dress code for evening meals men wore shorts and vest tops This is not what i expect from a five star hotel

there was no beach bar and the pool bar staff need to be taught how to clean there glasses they were collected thrown into a sink and rinsed very often you would get your drink in a dirty glass and if you asked for a clean one the bar staff would tell you glass is okay (i dont think so)
I could go on and on but on the upside givin a few years and the right Management team this could be a very nice hotel in a really nice location
There is th Baracuda diving centre on site if you like to dive then i would recommend them they are very proffesional and all equipment is new special thanks to Graham for bing a great dive buddy

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mishkaScotland
Reviewed 12 September 2009

The other reviews say it all , we did enjoy our stay but this was no way a 5* the bar staff were ignorant and the glassess dirty . 6 of us travelled and we all came down with diahorea after eating in the itailian resturant we also spoke to another couple at the airport who also were ill after the italian .You could not get a minutes peace they tried to sell you cocktails or get you to book the italian whilst you ate your meal . On the beach constant hassle to go on safari , snorkeling ,massage , beauty you could not rest .The rooms were nice as was the reception area but no beach bar . I would not recommend this hotel but agree with the previous review go back in 5 years and things may have improved . If you are already booked this is very quiet and as long as you want to be miles from anywhere this is for you .

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank megc1999
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I just arrived home from this hotel on the friday 11th sept.
During the time i stayed there which was two weeks,i found the hotel very good the swimming pool was very good and the beach was very good..but you cant go for a two week holiday without having something to eat!!
Please keep clear of all food because you will end up being ill!!
I found the staff very helpful but very under staffed.I would NOT go back to this hotel
I also found when laying on the beach i got fed up of being pestered with people wanting us to buy massages!.....
I would not reccommened this hotel to my worse enemy food wise!

• Check-in / front desk