“Stressful first 15 hours”

Premier Romance Boutique Hotel and Spa
Ranked #16 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
“Stressful first 15 hours”
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I stayed at PRBH form 9 until 16 november. When I handed over my accommodation voucher at 7:20 pm (after waiting in the lobby for 20 minutes while nothing happened) reception staff told me that my reservation was not in the computer. A man called Mohamed (don't know if it was the manager) told me several times that it was not their problem (whaaatt?? It certainly wasn't me who had screwed up!) but that I could have a garden view room (instead of the sea view room I had booked) for one night (I had to pay a 150 euro bond!) and I had to leave the next morning, they would find another hotel for me. So I had an uneasy first night but was determined to talk to my hostess at her regular visit the next morning at 11 am. However I got a call in the room the next morning at 10:30 saying that I could stay in the hotel, with an upgrade to a sea view "suite". When the hostess came around she said that it was a mistake of the hotel: they thought I wasn't on the "rooming list" but that turned out to be a mistake. The hotel didn't explain anything to me.
After these stressful first 15 hours everything was perfect as expected.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Pergola55
Mohamed S, General Manager at Premier Romance Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear Pergola55
Thank you so much for choosing premier romance to spend your holiday and we are very sorry for the misunderstanding which happened the first day.
we look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

The Good
The Hotel was very clean and the room with sea view was absolutely beautiful. The staff at the bottom of the food chain were wonderful, pleasant, helpful and just lovely people. The spa albeit expensive was very good and professional. The beach was gorgeous and clean and the staff were good on the beach. Chinese and Italian restaurant food was excellent.

The Bad
The swimming pool was cold (not heated), The Jacuzzi was cold (not heated), the staff in reception communicated just fine in Russian but struggled in English. To change money up took 20 minutes as they did not seem to be too bothered about us at all. The bars were ok but the level of alcohol in the drinks varied from almost none to just a little. A real downer is when you have to sign for everything. We had to check out at 12pm as we were being collected from the hotel at 2.30pm. For the first time ever the minute I handed my key in reception the all inclusive stopped. I had to pay for drinks. Normally you get to use and enjoy all of the facilities of the hotel including food and drinks until you leave, not in this case. There did not seem to be any notifications of bar opening times and even though there were bar staff behind them they directed you to another bar which was also sometimes closed. We could not locate a toilet inside the hotel itself other than your room. There was one outside (2 cubicles next to the shop). I asked at reception and they did not seem to understand the word toilet, there were no toilets in the Chinese or Italian restaurants. The hotel had absolutely no atmosphere. The people who worked in the in-hotel shops were over the top in trying to get you in them all of the time, you expect it outside the hotel but not in.
The Ugly
The level of hanging around for a tip was worse than I have ever seen in any hotel. The waiter in the Chinese restaurant was ignorant and arrogant. One of the managers was shouting at one of the cleaners in front of us who to be honest had done a fantastic job every day in our room, we in fact tipped the cleaner in front of him to try and quell the situation which seemed to work.

Room Tip: Get a sea view as the garden views are rubbish.
6 Thank breconjack
Mohamed S, General Manager at Premier Romance Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Dear breaconjack
Thank you for reviewing us on the tripadvisor .The team and I are delighted that you mentioned good points about the hotel.
All your other comments and feedback will definitely be conveyed to our management team .
once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you at premier romance again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We had an all inclusive package which was great value for money and the food exceeded our expectations. We didn't try the wine as it was reported to be pretty bad so we stuck to gin and tonic and this was fine. The hotel is spotless and the rooms were very nice, the staff are very friendly and helpful, sometimes a tad slow but they are always very busy looking after your needs and asking if you are ok.

The beach is beautiful and so nice and quiet, we never got hassled and had a great service - sunbeds and towels laid out for you, a good supply of cold water, drinks and even a guy to clean your sunglasses if you want to (no need to pay). I'm sure some people were tipping to ensure they got the best beds but that's how it goes, if you want to bagsie a better bed you need to get up earlier! The snorkelling off the beach is excellent even though the coral is sparse, we were impressed with the variety of sea life we saw - rays, sea snake, seahorse, squid and lots of fish.

We were very impressed with this hotel, if you want a nice quiet clean hotel with good service and a great beach then this is perfect. I would recommend the all inclusive deal as it's good value and we also got a bit of variety with vouchers for dinner in the Italian and the Chinese restaurant attached to the hotel.

Excursions/Diving.....

We booked a couple of trips through the rep that met us on our first day. One was a day trip to Cairo which was excellent, we visited a mosque, the Cairo museum and the pyramids and it was a very full and informative day with an excellent guide (who was also very handy to keep away the many people trying to sell you stuff at the pyramids).

The second trip was a dive trip with a company called Pirates Red Sea Diving - this I would definitely NOT recommend. Do some research and find a reputable dive centre with good recommendations, we were lazy and just went with the one on offer through the rep and it was a big mistake. The equipment is awful and frankly unsafe, my buddy and I both had regs and hoses that leaked and when we pointed this out it was either 'don't worry, it's only a small leak' or even worse just a shrug and told to carry on. Our dive guide got lost on one dive which I guess happens to the best of them, however not once did he ask any of our group how they were doing for air and it turned out one guy was down to 50bar which then cut out completely at 30bar forcing him to ascent without a safety stop and leaving his son beneath him not knowing where his dad was. It was a joke and no one ever apologised or took responsibility, in fact we were made to feel we were to blame. This dive centre is an accident waiting to happen, avoid them at all costs!

These trips and our experience with the dive centre are not any fault of the hotel and the tour company we booked through is not affiliated to the hotel so they are not to blame. However when you check in and are given a list of tours and told you have a meeting with a tour rep the next day, the assumption is that it has been arranged by the hotel in some way, also we were told by the rep that if we booked through them then if we had a problem we would be covered by the hotel insurance (something I'm not sure is true) I think the hotel management should check out what these reps are selling on their premises as it reflects badly on them. If something goes wrong on a trip you have booked on hotel premises (which in the case of Pirates diving this is quite likely) the hotel is the one you going to complain to.

Room Tip: We had a superior deluxe which was lovely and had a balcony and sea view.
3 Thank Craig H
Dear Craig H
Greetings from premier romance .Thank you for taking time to review us on the tripadvisor and we looking forward to seeing you soon.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Overall this was a fantastic holiday. I found some of the reviews weren't too specific on some points that I wanted to know before we booked, so I'd like to provide a bit more detail for you to help make your decision. We wanted a hassle free week on the beach in the sunshine relaxing in nice surroundings.

Board
We booked b&b and then upgraded to all inclusive for 50USD/pp/day. All inclusive entitled us to all you can drink (drinks only from the all inclusive menu) meals in the buffet and on the outdoor snack bar, plus ONE use of one of the a-la-carte restaurants (Chinese or Italian). We often found that we got 'value for money' on all inclusive, 'virtually' spending more than we had paid to upgrade (the hotel makes you sign for everything even on all inclusive so you can easily see what you are 'spending').

The food in the buffet was of a good standard, we often found something we liked, and tried not to 'pig out' so that it didn't all blend into one! We used our a-la-carte token at the Chinese which was very nice indeed. A bit of a shame you don't get two all inclusive tokens, but if you eat at the snack bar outside the Italian at lunchtime they offer pizzas and pastas, which I suspect may be a similar fayre to what is on offer at il fornello (the Italian). We got a little bored with the buffet but in all fairness this is because we were wanting to stick to all inclusive offerings to keep costs down. We weren't bothered about going into hurghada just relaxing on the beach, and the hotel does try to vary the buffet with theme nights eg barbecues for meat and fish on the terrace.

Drink
There is no softening this-the wine was awful, not to my taste. The white looked like beer and I had a glass of red served to me at mulled wine temperature. Stick to beer or spirit and mixer. Overall I was disappointed with the limited choice of drinks on the all inclusive menu. There are cocktails but they aren't what you get at home. Obviously drink bottled water.

Room
Our room was beautiful, clean and well appointed. A bit of entertainment each day with towel sculptures on the bed from the room valet.

Beach
Beautiful. Sea was beautiful. Enough coral to keep us entertained. It was very tough to get a double bed on the beach due to some very selfish individuals going to the beach very early before breakfast to 'bagsie' them. I am saying nothing about national stereotypes!!! The beach staff were excellent, finding us a free bed, giving us towels, learning our names, chatting to us and moving us to a double bed when one came free. The only thing I would say is that the drinks service on the beach was a little slow. Put your hand up for a beer when you don't even want one would be my top tip. The beach guy has to fetch the beers from the snack bar and tends to do bulk rounds. The service did quicken up towards the end of the week. There was building work going on in the building next to the hotel which made the hotel pool a bit noisy, we opted for the beach.

Spa
Although nicely done out inside, This was my biggest disappointment of the holiday. From the pressure selling on the beach to having to share my (intimate topless) treatment with a Belgian woman having a Swedish massage in the same treatment room as me, I was not happy. I heard every noise she made at the hand of the therapist and I'm sure she saw a hell of a lot more of me than she bargained for, much to my horror. It was very hard to say anything when the treatment girls spoke very little English. I suspect we were in the same room so the therapists could chat. There were several empty treatment rooms!! I wish I had not wasted my money on an experience which was not relaxing in any shape or form. It wasn't cheap either and neither of my two treatments (the first being more successful than the second and hence why I went back) lasted the advertised two hours. I wish I'd argued for my money back but couldn't be bothered facing the language barrier. I was treating myself for my birthday (which the hotel didn't acknowledge unlike another guest review I'd seen on trip advisor). Very disappointed.

Weather
30oC in November. Can't complain.

3 Thank ClaireB7
Mohamed S, General Manager at Premier Romance Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 15 December 2012
Dear claireB7
Thank you for reviewing us and i already transfer your comment about the spa treatment to the spa manager who will investigate about it .
Thank you and marry Christmas and happy new year.
CHISLEHURST
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are large and well laid out. Unfortunately the service is non existent the spa is not particularly friendly and everything is chargeable even the sauna and steam. The food very very average. There is no Indian restaurant and has not been for sometime. You will, if on all inclusive, be able to eat once in the Chinese and Italian restaurant which were good. The wine is poor, cloudy and warm and the other drinks are average by any standard.

The beach beds can be reserved but only by tipping!! Beach is very nice and clean.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room as these have sea views and separate shower unit. Air con is extremley efficie...
5 Thank JAYNEChislehurst
Dear JAYNE
Thank you for your review and we look forward to see you at premier romance in the near future.
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Before writing my review I remembered that one previous reviewer reported a bad experience with their Thomas Cook flights so I wanted to check and confirm this before writing my review. When searching the reviews to confirm my facts I was amazed to discover that the Premier Romance hotel was rated 81 out of 165 hotels yet 1st out of 48 in the romance section. I found the former rating inconsistent with both our experience and the reviews I had read before going on our holiday.
A very brief look at the opinions still has me confused. Very briefly Premier Romance has 83% of the reviews as excellent, equal to that of the #1 hotel and the hotels in the 40th position range are showing only 30% rating as excellent. Perhaps Tripadvisor can explain this apparent discrepancy, am I missing something, but enough.
Now to our review.
We booked out holiday via Inspired Luxury Escapes and their support was flawless, paperwork provided on time, sea view room and taxi transfer flawless and as promised.
Thomas Cook flights great, both departed on time and both arrived early. Cabin staff very helpful and with some humour.
Our experience at the hotel was exactly as reported by others ranging from excellent, perfection, outstanding to Premier by name premier by nature-wish I could have been so witty!!!
No early morning rush for loungers at the beach, when at the beach the staff circulated with bottles of chilled water and any other drink you requested. The rooms we very clean and comfortable, the food at the buffets was excellent and there was a different theme each evening. The red and rose wines were good as was the beer, great G&T. We had lunch on the terrace outside, very relaxed, good fresh salads, pizzas, pasta dishes and sandwiches. Some have commented that the service was slow but for us a very relaxed 60+ minutes mid day with a couple glasses of rosé - heaven on earth, we were on holiday!!
Staff all very friendly, could not do more to please, as the saying goes "ask and it will be delivered." That says it all.
Have not rated Spa because we did not use it.
I have tried to think of how the experience could be enhanced and the only thing I can think of maybe a piano in the lounge bar during the evening.
Our thanks to all staff at Premier Romance.

Room Tip: We had room 1103, sea view as have most rooms.
12 Thank Jock B
Mohamed S, General Manager at Premier Romance Boutique Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we pleased to read your positive comment, we wish you all the best and looking forward for your next one soon.
Fife Scotland
Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

This has to be the most beautiful hotel I've ever stayed in. From the highly polished marble floors to the three floor high chandelier,the art work on the walls were stunning. My husband booked this as a surprise for me, this hotel does not allow kids so it was our first holiday on our own and it was bliss!! The management come round to meet you checking your ok, from the person cleaning your beautiful room every day to the guy at the beach giving you towels this is truly a five star hotel, we were waited on hand and foot.the food was excellent, different choice every night, the chefs cook your eggs to order in the morning, this is not a lively holiday, I spent my days on my four poster sun bed while my husband was out snorkelling.it was just great to relax. We went into downtown Hurghada one night to the marina and its bars and shops are busy but fun!,will be back next year if my kids allow it,, a big thanks to all the people involved in making my holiday extra special.

• Stayed November 2012
8 Thank NIcola D
Dear Guest, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to post your review, we enjoyed your stay with us and hoping see you soon.