I read all the other reviews before coming to Sapphire Suites and like I usually do, i normally dismiss the bad reviews thinking that people make a big issue of minor things, however, this hotel is the worst i have stayed in.
The reception is quite small, it has old sofas and a couple of pool tables in the middle that you have to pay for. Normally, there is no where to sit anyway as there is not enough seats. There is one bar that serves poor quality and warm drinks in small plastic cups.
The room was okay, we chose the hotel because of the 'suites' part and we thought it would be nice to have a large room. Generally, the room was okay, it had carpet that was quite dirty. We selected a promo room when we booked it which is supposed to have a 'sea view' this cost around an extra £30.00. Turns out, we had a view overlooking the main road and the other hotels that are part of the golden 5 are across this road. The view was terrible and we definately did not have a 'sea view' that we paid extra for. To get to the beach, it took about 20 minutes through all the other hotel complexes and by the time you got there, you were exhausted from the heat so only visited the beach a couple of times. There is a bus that runs but we only saw it twice the whole time we were there. The bathroom is quite grubby, the shower is in the bath and the bath is quite stained. We went as a couple but all rooms had two single beds! So we had to put our beds together which did not work as you fall down the middle so we had to squeeze into a single bed everynight.
The Sapphire area does have a pool which belongs to the other hotel 'Topaz' this area is okay, however, you have to get up very early to get a sunbed as there are not many. We also have a buffet restaurant that belong to 'Topaz' it was called La Perla, however, was quite poor quality, no variety, similar food each night. The breakfast was okay.
The A La Carte restaurants, however, were very good! Espeically the Italian. You can visit each restaurant once a week so you need to ensure you get it booked quickly. We also enjoyed the Asian and the Oriental. We did go to the BBQ aswell but that was horrendous, you get once little bit of lamb and one bit of rubbery fish that you cannot even cut through. I know that i sound like I'm moaning alot and before i have written a good review about every hotel i have been to but honestly, i would book somewhere else and have a better holiday then i have had.
The complex across the road takes a while to walk to. There are lots of chipped tiles etc and a young girl cut her foot in the swimming pool. Often, the swimming pool water didn't seem very clean and had lots of bits floating in it. The buffet restaurant in the golden 5 complex wasn't bad- well, i found the pizza to be nice anyway, can't really say the rest of it was nice. But, as we are part of Sapphire, we are not allowed to eat in there in the evenings until 8:30, so otherwise, you have to eat in La Perla.
This hotel, i would say is 99% Russian and 1% everyone else, i didn't understand when people complained about this but it was terrible. The Russians just stared at you and looked you up and down all of the time. They would barge in front of you in queues and were very loud, miserable and never smiled. You wouldn't think they were on holiday, you'd think they'd been forced to stay there.
The entertainment mostly comprised of Russians. The majority had poor understanding of English and were not that friendly. We couldn't really go to or enjoy the evening shows as they were Russian orientated and we did not know what they were saying !!! Often, some evenings, there were discos instead of shows but you had to pay 10 dollars each for this..and they did not take english money just Russian dollars.
There were lots of shops on the complex, however, they did charge alot of money so it is good to try and barter them down. We did have two mishaps on the holiday...
1) I decided I fancied going to Mcdonalds as the food was poor. We had only english sterling so we attempted to change the money at the cashier desk in reception. The men gave us change from their pockets and said they had given us £320.00 Egyptian pounds in exchange for our £40.00 English. Turns out, they only gave us £220.00 but we did not realise this until afterwards. So we took a taxi from outside the resort and the taxi driver said it would be 150 egyptian pounds which we agreed to as he said he would wait for us outside and drop us back. It was just me and my boyfriend on holiday. The Mcdonalds was in a mall about five minutes away. He drove us for around 20 minutes and then down these back alleys with run down buildings. Me and my boyfriend looked at each other and it felt like one of those moments from a horror movie. He dropped us off down this run down alley and said he would meet us back there. We said where is Mcdonalds and he said "down the road". Then he beckoned us into this old shop where apparently they would give us directions to Mcdonalds.. we were hassled in there and they did not want us to leave and told to drink their pink Egyptian tea as it would be rude not to. We managed to leave and walked down the street where we saw no Mcdonalds but were stopped by lots of Egyptians trying to sell us things. We did not know where we were and the area was run down and we were actually quite frightened. We went back to the lane where the taxi driver said his car would be and i pretended I had stomach pains so i would be able to get back to the hotel ASAP. He was not there and we were once again beckoned into the shop who said they would ring the taxi man. We waited there for 20 mins for him to pick us up. On the taxi ride home he was going over 100mph in four lane traffic and we were rather shoken up. We only had a 200 egyptian pound note and he said he would get change. So he took us across the road and gave us a 50, a 70 and a 5. It wasn't quite the right change but close enough and we wanted to get away asap. It turns out, when we went to buy something else with the 50, it was not 50 egyptian pounds and he had given us a 50 that was equivalant to 5p!! So that was £40.00 well spent and we were quite scared but pleased to be back on the complex alive. We made sure we never took a taxi again!! These taxis are blue and orange and are constantly outside the hotel. They are always beeping and trying to catch tourists attention and these beeps often woke us up in the night.
2). To get to the other resorts that are part of the 'golden 5', you have to cross the main road. This is very difficult to get across as the Egyptians drive very fast. On one of our last nights we decided we would do some shopping in the souvenier shops in the other complexes. My boyfriend took his wallet which had £100.00, both our driving licences, his debit card and our room card. There were always men outside our hotel trying to sell pictures. That night, one man was selling pictures on our left and another man in a long gown selling flashing bouncy balls on our right. They were both shoving the items in our faces and saying one dollar two dollars three dollars and I was holding my boyfriends handing. The man with his balls in a box pushed in front of me and pushed against my boyfriend holding the box in front of him. Until we got across the road, we did not realise that he had taken the wallet out of his pocket. By the time we looked back across the road the man had fled. We went to reception who were helpful at the time and sent out security, the police also came to our hotel and took a statement. We heard no more about it afterwards though and the hotel said they could not take any responsibility as it was just outside the hotel. The thief had our room card so we asked to move rooms in which the reception just laughed at us and said no one could get in because of security! Which was two men sitting and desks when there was at least four entrances to the hotel. He issued as a new key to the same room and when we asked if the old key would still work.. he said "yes is would" and he could get into the room if he tried but it was perfectly safe because of the two men! In the end we managed to move rooms to the room next door. This room was even worse than our previous room. The air conditioning did not work and the balcony door did not lock.
On our last day, when checking out, we handed back our key and the same man in reception who helped us with the robbery and phoned the police said "and the other key?". He knew we did not have the other key as he knew it had been stolen !!! He said "Well, you had an extra key!" So he charged us an extra 10 dollars. I only had a twenty pound note and he only gave me 20 dollars in change so we were short changed once again. We were also offered a shower before we left in which there was a room in which everyone shared. When it was our turn to have a shower, there were only two wet towels in the room and it was very poor. We had to dry ourselves off with the hairdryer. The balcony doors in this room had been smashed in with broken shards of glass!!! When packing, i also discovered the hoodie that I had not used all holiday had been stolen from the room.
Honestly, all i can say is.. this hotel was hell, please do not stay here, find somewhere nicer and much more friendly, I would not want to come back here even if someone paid me to!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Category: 4 Stars, Deluxe Check in :14:00 Check out :12:00 Location:Located in front of Golden 5 City main entrance. Hotel offers а unique experience with its beautiful landscape, comfortable, luxurious suite accommodation and special facilities..Accommodation:Total of 108 rooms: 100 Superior Suites (62 sq m, 2+2 pers., living room, bedroom, bathroom, balcony / terrace) 8 Standard rooms (43 m2, 2+1 pers., 1 bedroom, bathroom, balcony \ terrace) All Suites are equipped with: Wide bed room (double bed setup) 30 m2, Parlor with 2 sofa beds, 2 satellite TVs ,individual adjustable air condition . Bathrooms feature bathtub,weighting scale, 2 telephone sets (including shower room),Hair dryer, Minibar, safe box, daily clean linen & electricity: AC 220 volts Restaurants:"Moon light" main restaurant, 100 seats (non smoking)Cuisine: International Serving : breakfast, lunch Bars:"Lobby Cocktail -Bar" (all inclusive) "La Brassen Topaz Suites hotel Pool Bar"(all inclusive)(all inclusive) "Mermaid Beach Bar" ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers and TripOnline SA so you can book your Golden 5 Sapphire Suites Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden 5 City - Sapphire Hotel Hurghada