“This was my third stay in Egypt and this hotel was very disappointing, I could almost say holiday from hell!”

Golden 5 Sapphire Suites Hotel
Ranked #149 of 221 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I read all the other reviews before coming to Sapphire Suites and like I usually do, i normally dismiss the bad reviews thinking that people make a big issue of minor things, however, this hotel is the worst i have stayed in.

The reception is quite small, it has old sofas and a couple of pool tables in the middle that you have to pay for. Normally, there is no where to sit anyway as there is not enough seats. There is one bar that serves poor quality and warm drinks in small plastic cups.

The room was okay, we chose the hotel because of the 'suites' part and we thought it would be nice to have a large room. Generally, the room was okay, it had carpet that was quite dirty. We selected a promo room when we booked it which is supposed to have a 'sea view' this cost around an extra £30.00. Turns out, we had a view overlooking the main road and the other hotels that are part of the golden 5 are across this road. The view was terrible and we definately did not have a 'sea view' that we paid extra for. To get to the beach, it took about 20 minutes through all the other hotel complexes and by the time you got there, you were exhausted from the heat so only visited the beach a couple of times. There is a bus that runs but we only saw it twice the whole time we were there. The bathroom is quite grubby, the shower is in the bath and the bath is quite stained. We went as a couple but all rooms had two single beds! So we had to put our beds together which did not work as you fall down the middle so we had to squeeze into a single bed everynight.

The Sapphire area does have a pool which belongs to the other hotel 'Topaz' this area is okay, however, you have to get up very early to get a sunbed as there are not many. We also have a buffet restaurant that belong to 'Topaz' it was called La Perla, however, was quite poor quality, no variety, similar food each night. The breakfast was okay.

The A La Carte restaurants, however, were very good! Espeically the Italian. You can visit each restaurant once a week so you need to ensure you get it booked quickly. We also enjoyed the Asian and the Oriental. We did go to the BBQ aswell but that was horrendous, you get once little bit of lamb and one bit of rubbery fish that you cannot even cut through. I know that i sound like I'm moaning alot and before i have written a good review about every hotel i have been to but honestly, i would book somewhere else and have a better holiday then i have had.

The complex across the road takes a while to walk to. There are lots of chipped tiles etc and a young girl cut her foot in the swimming pool. Often, the swimming pool water didn't seem very clean and had lots of bits floating in it. The buffet restaurant in the golden 5 complex wasn't bad- well, i found the pizza to be nice anyway, can't really say the rest of it was nice. But, as we are part of Sapphire, we are not allowed to eat in there in the evenings until 8:30, so otherwise, you have to eat in La Perla.

This hotel, i would say is 99% Russian and 1% everyone else, i didn't understand when people complained about this but it was terrible. The Russians just stared at you and looked you up and down all of the time. They would barge in front of you in queues and were very loud, miserable and never smiled. You wouldn't think they were on holiday, you'd think they'd been forced to stay there.
The entertainment mostly comprised of Russians. The majority had poor understanding of English and were not that friendly. We couldn't really go to or enjoy the evening shows as they were Russian orientated and we did not know what they were saying !!! Often, some evenings, there were discos instead of shows but you had to pay 10 dollars each for this..and they did not take english money just Russian dollars.

There were lots of shops on the complex, however, they did charge alot of money so it is good to try and barter them down. We did have two mishaps on the holiday...
1) I decided I fancied going to Mcdonalds as the food was poor. We had only english sterling so we attempted to change the money at the cashier desk in reception. The men gave us change from their pockets and said they had given us £320.00 Egyptian pounds in exchange for our £40.00 English. Turns out, they only gave us £220.00 but we did not realise this until afterwards. So we took a taxi from outside the resort and the taxi driver said it would be 150 egyptian pounds which we agreed to as he said he would wait for us outside and drop us back. It was just me and my boyfriend on holiday. The Mcdonalds was in a mall about five minutes away. He drove us for around 20 minutes and then down these back alleys with run down buildings. Me and my boyfriend looked at each other and it felt like one of those moments from a horror movie. He dropped us off down this run down alley and said he would meet us back there. We said where is Mcdonalds and he said "down the road". Then he beckoned us into this old shop where apparently they would give us directions to Mcdonalds.. we were hassled in there and they did not want us to leave and told to drink their pink Egyptian tea as it would be rude not to. We managed to leave and walked down the street where we saw no Mcdonalds but were stopped by lots of Egyptians trying to sell us things. We did not know where we were and the area was run down and we were actually quite frightened. We went back to the lane where the taxi driver said his car would be and i pretended I had stomach pains so i would be able to get back to the hotel ASAP. He was not there and we were once again beckoned into the shop who said they would ring the taxi man. We waited there for 20 mins for him to pick us up. On the taxi ride home he was going over 100mph in four lane traffic and we were rather shoken up. We only had a 200 egyptian pound note and he said he would get change. So he took us across the road and gave us a 50, a 70 and a 5. It wasn't quite the right change but close enough and we wanted to get away asap. It turns out, when we went to buy something else with the 50, it was not 50 egyptian pounds and he had given us a 50 that was equivalant to 5p!! So that was £40.00 well spent and we were quite scared but pleased to be back on the complex alive. We made sure we never took a taxi again!! These taxis are blue and orange and are constantly outside the hotel. They are always beeping and trying to catch tourists attention and these beeps often woke us up in the night.
2). To get to the other resorts that are part of the 'golden 5', you have to cross the main road. This is very difficult to get across as the Egyptians drive very fast. On one of our last nights we decided we would do some shopping in the souvenier shops in the other complexes. My boyfriend took his wallet which had £100.00, both our driving licences, his debit card and our room card. There were always men outside our hotel trying to sell pictures. That night, one man was selling pictures on our left and another man in a long gown selling flashing bouncy balls on our right. They were both shoving the items in our faces and saying one dollar two dollars three dollars and I was holding my boyfriends handing. The man with his balls in a box pushed in front of me and pushed against my boyfriend holding the box in front of him. Until we got across the road, we did not realise that he had taken the wallet out of his pocket. By the time we looked back across the road the man had fled. We went to reception who were helpful at the time and sent out security, the police also came to our hotel and took a statement. We heard no more about it afterwards though and the hotel said they could not take any responsibility as it was just outside the hotel. The thief had our room card so we asked to move rooms in which the reception just laughed at us and said no one could get in because of security! Which was two men sitting and desks when there was at least four entrances to the hotel. He issued as a new key to the same room and when we asked if the old key would still work.. he said "yes is would" and he could get into the room if he tried but it was perfectly safe because of the two men! In the end we managed to move rooms to the room next door. This room was even worse than our previous room. The air conditioning did not work and the balcony door did not lock.

On our last day, when checking out, we handed back our key and the same man in reception who helped us with the robbery and phoned the police said "and the other key?". He knew we did not have the other key as he knew it had been stolen !!! He said "Well, you had an extra key!" So he charged us an extra 10 dollars. I only had a twenty pound note and he only gave me 20 dollars in change so we were short changed once again. We were also offered a shower before we left in which there was a room in which everyone shared. When it was our turn to have a shower, there were only two wet towels in the room and it was very poor. We had to dry ourselves off with the hairdryer. The balcony doors in this room had been smashed in with broken shards of glass!!! When packing, i also discovered the hoodie that I had not used all holiday had been stolen from the room.

Honestly, all i can say is.. this hotel was hell, please do not stay here, find somewhere nicer and much more friendly, I would not want to come back here even if someone paid me to!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vicky D

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Well this is a major warning to all that are thinking of going here on holiday 'DON'T DO IT'. We were sold this holiday through easyjet as a 5* aqua park hotel there was four adults 26-52 and two children 5 and 7. We were dropped off outside carried our bags in and were left sat on on a sofa that can only be described as a health hazard, whilst waiting we thought we would take a look around the outdoor area and 'aqua park' to find the sapphire suites does not even have its own swimming pool and you have to use topez clubs pool and that actually the aqua park was across the dual carriage way at the golden 5. So we got our room keys and on way to rooms found the whole hotel was carpeted ( not good in that heat ) not even half the lights work so was very dark and dingey, in room and yeh rooms are very spacious but also disgusting the bath and bathroom were black with dirt the room was infested with flies and the air con did not work I reported this to reception straight away but no one come to fix it untill 23;45 absolute joke. After this first night our holiday was great as we moved out and went to the sonesta pharaoh beach resort hotel clean and modern food nice and staff were excellent. I seriously would not let my dog stay at the sapphire suites!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank Scotty200285
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We have just returned from a two week stay at the Sapphire Suites, Golden 5 resort Hurghada, I'll start with the negatives:

- Definitely not 5 star, more like 3, hotel is tired, the whole resort is, reception was very smelly with tired furniture
- Warm drinks everywhere!! Cheap spirits and wine that would strip paint of walls
- Main resort is over the road, do not be fooled by the pictures of the aqua park for this hotel, we picked the bus up that took you to the beach and walked around, the beach is a good 20 mins walk
- Aqua park is in need of renovation, tiles missing from pool floor, generally tatty
- beds needed pulling out, a general clean was done daily, but there was 6 inches of dust under the beds
- no diet drinks at all, I don't like sugery soft drinks
- this resort is 95% Russian, I didn't think that would be a problem but it was, no disrespect but we found them very rude, pushing shoving, que jumping and greedy with food, they take all the grapes and melon back to their rooms, plates of it, so there is none left like 20 mins after restaurant opening, the children also didn't make friends, apart from my son, there was one english family, and he found a great friend for the duration - Egyptians do not like the Russians at all - in fact there was a fight in the main restaurant one night between an Egyption waiter and a russian guest
- cable car not working
- food ok, plenty of choice, BUT all bar one of our family ended up with an upset stomache
- if you want to eat in one of the al-a-carte restaurants you need to book in advance, the french was awful, so was the oriental and there was no aircon, we ate in 10 mins flat and got out - the fish restaurant at the Aqua park was really nice and the Italian served lovely Pizza
- although you can eat in all the buffet style restaurants over in the Golden 5 be aware that you are not allowed in until 8:30, guests from the hotel are served first
- numerous power cuts
- pool snacks limited, small salad bar, burger and chips, no pizza or cheese toasties as advertised, I usually bypassed lunch - I don't eat meat or fried foods, if your veggie like me and
two of my kids, there isn't any choice unless you want a salad roll or rice
Positives

- Staff very friendly indeed, our room service guy went the extra mile every day to make the kids laugh with his towel antics, we used to love coming back from our day out to see what he had made
- rooms very spacious, plenty of room for a family of 5
- rooms are cleaned every day and they do a good tidy up, fresh water in fridge, its the only cold drink you will get
- comfy beds
- Egyptians love English, they treat you like royalty
- kids loved the pancakes at breakfast every morning
- at the beach within yards of the shore you can feed a variety of reef fish, just lovely, snorkelling in the red sea is fab too
- swimming pool for this hotel is nice, fairly large, but get there early, beds are reserved!!

All in all we did have a good holiday, the kids did lots of water sports and there are some great trips out to reefs etc. but I would defo pay a bit more next time for a higher standard hotel and one that has a variety of nationalities so the children can make friends

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank SallyM5
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We visited the Sapphire Suites on the 17th July - 27th July. The hotel is approximately 25 minutes from Hurghada airport. When we arrived at the hotel the reception area was very clean and nice, we had a very warm welcome as a member of staff carried our bags to the entrance and then we were greeted with drinks. Our room was lovely as it was spacious and immaculate! The food was average depending on were you ate. If you ate at the main restaurant (la Perla) the food was not so good however in the evening the food was delicious at the a la carte restaurants ( I advise you choose the German and the French ) The Pool was fantastic (but a little bit deep) The entertainment team were average although they did try there best to keep everybody happy. Staff were polite and friendly, On the negative side the Ice machine was broken and the drinks were warm and there was the occasional power cut. Overall, very nice hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank 186299Reveiwer
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Food disgusting with no variation in any of the restaurants
Hot beer and fizzy drinks
D&V for the whole duration (2 weeks)
Earrings stolen from my room
Room and corridors smelt of sewage
Powercuts up to 5 times per day
Boyfriend lost his band and we were told it was £30 for a new one
Mouse in room
Blood on pool towels
Dirty room and bathroom towels
Wake up call on our last day was 45 minutes late
All Russian people (majority really not very friendly) not one other English person
Majority of staff rude, but some were helpful
Cocktails disgusting, if you wanted a decent one you paid £2

NOT A FIVE STAR AT ALL

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Charlie C
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have just returned from a weeks holiday to Hurgharda and had booked the Sapphire Suites and was expecting a 5star hotel. Upon arrival the outside of the hotel was incredibly disapointing compared to other hotels where people had been dropped off to. The reception area was awful. Brown sofas which I think used to be orange and looked about 50 years old greeted us with worn out rugs. Very dingy indeed. Then we were shown to our room and I have to say, whilst very spacious it was very shabby. Stained carpets, hardly any skirting boards. There was a view out to the very unpretty gardens and the bathroom was hideously ugly and dated, We were very very disapointed.
The restaurant was a further disapointment. Whilst the hotel was shabby and worn it had actually been cleaned, but the restaurant was filthy! The food was discusting. I have travelled all over the world and this is the worst food you could ever imagine, No way could i eat in there,
The pool area was actually OK but definately not a 5star. The hotel and food must be a 2star at most and thats being generous! We did go and expolre the other hotels over the road which are part of the golden 5, and whilst they were better it was only margial. The pools and aqua park area there were badly kept. Broken tiles were everywhere and again, not a pretty area at all. Certainly not a 5 star.
We complained to our booking company and transferred to the Titanic Beach hotel which cost an extra £80pp, but was absolutely beautiful. Pool area and beach were magnificent. The rooms modern and clean and the food was amazing.
On the plus side for the Sapphire Suites, the staff were always polite and helpful. Unfortunately, I would not reccomend this hotel or any of the Golden 5 hotels. You are much better off paying slightly more and enjoying the modern,well kept facilities of another hotel.

Room Tip: Book another hotel altogether!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I booked our holiday to the Sapphire Suites before reading any reviews, which ended up being a blessing as if I'd read them first I probably wouldn't have gone. I stayed here in February 2012 with my 14 year old daughter and mother. The staff are absolutely fantastic you really can't fault them. The reception staff are so helpful, our shower was broken when we arrived but it was repaired the following morning, no problem! Amgad was really good to us, be nice to him!

Yes the hotel is full of Russians and yes they are horrible, arrogant, rude people, but don't worry about that because you'll find no one likes the Russians over there whereas if you're English they can't do enough for you.

I will say that the food is quite poor, it's never hot and if you're fussy it could be quite challenging to find something you like, that said the rolls and soup are good and the pancakes in the morning are lovely. The service we received in the restaurant was 110% It couldn't have been any better, Mohamed was brilliant, I wish I could've brought him home with me!

Our room or as another reviewer has said - 'Suite' was very surprising, it was very clean a little tired but very comfortable and so much room.

Sapphire Suites is not on the beach as we were lead to believe when we booked the holiday, it's on the other side of the road through the Golden Five, about 10 - 15 minute walk.

The exchange rate is much better over there than here so bare that in mind when you're getting money for your holiday.

If you do decide to stay here then you'll have a wonderful time, I plan to go back, maybe see you there!! X

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family