“What sort of holiday do you want??? ”

Tropitel Sahl Hasheesh
Ranked #30 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Lincolnshire, England
“What sort of holiday do you want??? ”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just home from 11 nights at the tropitel. I have decided to do this review slightly differently as I felt it was more important to stress the type of holiday/area rather than just the hotel.
The tropitel was lovely, our room 3053 was a deluxe but was huge, sea and pool views. Lovely pool, wonderful beach great for snorkelling. Food: ok, plenty of choice, salads, breads, we found the meat very poor quality, obviously no pork or bacon! Italian and Mexican ok, fajitas we got one tortilla wrap cut into four for two of us!
Drinks good, staff lovely.
Downside: nothing to do at night but drink, watch a "show" on a handmade stage on the beach that was quite poor, some acts better than others. Finished by 9.45. Them nothing to do! We like to walk at night to a bar, look round shops etc, we saw signs for old town along promenade so walked it one tea time, 45 minutes in searing heat and all we found was a deserted beach bar and a few shops that were just selling same tat in our hotel shops, no real quality shops and soo quiet!! Bar man said is very quiet. No atmosphere, you can hire a golf buggy for 20 US dollars I think but there isn't much to see. The tropitel is on it's own as no close open hotels, Sahl hasheesh a gated community, some nice hotels but all spread apart.
We went on the courtesy bus to hurghada town one night, we hated it, very tatty, looks like Beirut! Sharm much much nicer, loads tat shops, I didn't like the stray dogs, donkeys pulling carts and saw woman with child begging, know it goes on but never saw in sharm. Got hassled by shopkeepers, seems lots locals there more than tourists, just felt safer in sharm but obviously that's just my view.
Went on submarine trip from Hilton hurghada, good but 45 mins bus ride each way.
To summarise, we felt this is very much a hotel holiday. If you only want a complete rest, go snorkelling on a lovely beach and have few drinks it's fab. If you like bit more like us it's not really suitable. Hope this helps, it is a lovely hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wendymcg_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Leicestershire
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was our first time to Hurghada and our initial experience with the Airport and transfers was awful, but that is nothing to do with the Hotel. The Hotel itself is very nice and spacious, but don't be fooled by the 5* rating as Egypt standards are not international standards. Food is good and quite diverse and you should find something to eat even if you are picky. Neither my partner or I had an upset stomach, which is always a good sign. We ate in the Mexican a la carte and I have to say food was very good, I wish we ate there more often! Pool bar staff 'Tom Cruise' are excellent and working non stop all day which is nice to see people giving it their all. Some of the staff seemed a bit unenthusiastic, I don't whether its because they were fatigued due to ramadan or something but just lacked that 'oomph' you expect with 5* standard! The location of the Hotel isn't the best, but that is very much down to opinion. I like to be able walk out of the hotel at night and there be an atmosphere, but I'm afraid if you do that here you're in the Sahara. The shops within the Hotel are very expensive even if you do haggle, but then again I guess they can charge that if the closest shops are 5 miles+. The hotel doesn't really have to do a lot to make it perfect and I think with time Sahl Hasheesh and the Tropitel will be amazing! Here is some suggestions to improve:

• Have more sunbeds available, as I don't really like waking up at 6am just to be able to sit around the pool. This will also be a huge problem when the second half of the hotel opens!
• Have a main area for the evening entertainment with a better seating area, as this will create a better atmosphere for the evenings.
• Advise guests to book the a la carte restaurants asap, as we couldn't use our Italian voucher as it was fully booked all week.
• Advise some members of staff that customer service is important in a 5* hotel!

Apart from this, the Tropitel is very good and we are returning again in August, see you soon!

**Tip - book private transfers to and from the Airport with a company called 'my driver hurghada' it only costs £10 each way and is drastically better than a shared shuttle!

5 Thank riley93
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel 15-29th June 2014(room 1011) with my wife.
It was very pretty!!

Every staff member were very accommodating and always greeted us with a smile.
The meal was excellent and varied.
The pool area was clean and tidy. The beach was large with a jetty to the sea into the lagoon.
Our room was pleasant, beds large but pillows little bit hard. Each room has got a safe, you can use it free of charge. Wifi is available in the lobby and all bar areas too.
Some of the staff worked hard (especially the beach and pool bar staff). The best was absolutely Ibrahim Tamer, very polite and fast. But reception staff were not the most helpfull.
The Animation Team, They have some activities during the day but not many people were keen on playing games. It would be good if they would play music at the pool.

1 Thank Dusan V
ROTHERHAM, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just returned from our second visit to the Tropitel, we were there in December. Again it was spectacular. Staff can't do enough for you, as we were returning guest we were made to feel extra special.
From the moment we arrived to when we left nothing was too much trouble. Food was good, the Al a Carte restaurants are excellent. Staff work really hard and are really helpful.

Staff at the pool bar work non stop and are the friendliest lads you could expect too meet, Tom Cruise and Ibrahim, thanks a lot guys.
I have read previous negative comments about the shops in the hotel but if you haggle with them, there lovely people, specially my friend in the handbags shop, I got some brill bargains. The hotel was really busy the week we were there but the staff worked as best they could.
We have travelled to Egypt many times over the last ten years and for the price this hotel can't be beaten. Yes there are some cosmetic things which would help but you can pay double at other hotels for less.

Rooms are massive, a bath and shower, kettle and safe, who cares if they need a lick of paint, you only sleep in them. Yes the beds are hard but if you mention this to reception they will sort it. Any problems at all reception will sort it out for you.

I am so happy with the hotel we booked to return in December before we left.
I know I can guarantee good service by welcoming friendly staff and bargain for money.
A massive thank you to Hatem, reception manager who told me to email him if we returned and he would allocate us a lovely room, which he did.

We would highly recommend this hotel to all our family and friends

Room Tip: Wonderful sea view rooms
8 Thank ANGIEBAILEY25
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Definetly not a 5 star hotel. High 3 star towards 4 star at best. We arrived late were not offered a drink and food available was not very good. We had to fill up on bread for the night!
Our room was pleasant and on ground floor with sea view. Beds very hard and not very comfortable but it was kept very clean.
Weather was very hot but also very windy at times. Snorkelling in the sea was challenging at times but very good, although getting in and out of the water was difficult.
Food very dissapointing, limited choice and service was not the best. Mexican was the best to eat at. Very slow service in both the a la carte restaurants.
Enjoyed the pool but it was very cold at times!
Managed to get sunbeds most days at pool because I got up at 4am to reserve them, if I hadn't then we would have struggled.
If you want to witness bias then this is the perfect hotel. Saw a few occassions when people were moved off sun beds so that the Egyptians could always have the ones that they wanted regardless of what time they arrived.
4 of the 5 of us got tummy upsets. DO NOT GO TO THE SHOPS IN THE HOTEL! My husband was charged 600 egyptian pounds for medicine at the hotel which we later got for 150 egyptian pounds in Oldtown. Also tried to charge me 400 ep for snorkel which i got for 200 ep and a really nice free gift in Oldtown.
Very rude hotel guests! Mostly Russian or German. They would barge past you or push in, even knock young children out of the way and nobody seemed to bother. Walking anywhere was a challenge because they expected you to stop and stand in the bushes rather than them move out of the way.
Reception staff were not the most helpfull. We paid for club room but did not get fridge restocked as advertised.
The hotel could actually be really nice. Location excellent. Really quiet.
Our only high point was a member of staff serving drinks at the pool. He was excellent, bringing our drinks regularly. Even ice cream in the afternoon. He was known as "Tom Cruise". I think his real name was Tarak, also his friend Ibrahim.
He is the one of the reasons, along with the snorkelling and very nice clean rooms, we would go back again. Just make sure that we allowed ourselves extra money to eat out or in the Mexican more nights.

Room Tip: Our ground foor, sea view room was perfect for us.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Christine M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was by far the best holiday I have had In a while, the hotel is large ( only half open) with three pools and an open air jacuzzi, also a 2 min stroll through the grounds to the beach, all the staff were amazing, so polite and helpful, my sister and I got treated like princesses and had a fabulous time there and made genuine friends with everyone, the pool bar staff always made sure you never had an empty glass!!

The entertainment was so much fun, Salah and his team made sure there was something for everyone, from yoga to aqua gym and the evening entertainment held down on the beach bar had me crying with laughter most nights!! Super team. So much effort had gone into making all the entertainment fun, the animation team always came and said hello everyday and wished us a great holiday which was a nice touch.

There is a roof top bar ( the oriental cafe) where you can try the shisha with an Egyptian tea.
The waiting staff were great, we had Feckey who look after us all week, the food is typical of all inc, but enjoyable, with the option of eating at a Mexican and Italian One time per week, delicious, especially the filet steak at the Italian ( my personal fave)

We were welcomed with a cold drink on arrival and were given detail about the hotel ( restaurants and bars) along with our towel cards and room keys.
Our room was 4036 great beach and pool views, quiet, spacious, clean and kept that way through the duration of the stay.
We had a full body scrub and massage which was lovely and recommended,
The beach was a stroll through the grounds, sandy so good for kids with lots of sun loungers and umbrellas, with a jetty to the lagoon and deeper sea, great if you snorkel ( I don't as I have a fear of fish) I did walk down the steps into the lagoon which was a breath taking turquoise, there are lots of opportunities to scuba dive with trips organised on site near the beach bar.
I can't wait to book my return trip here, 100% recommend

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view of the pools and sea, glad. Didn't pay £100 to upgrade room as the vi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Jacquie P
Godmanchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed in Tropitel Sahl Hasheesh from 23rd of May till 3 of June. The weather was awesome, nearly 40 degrees every day, no clouds.

Arriving at Hurghada airport wasn’t the best experience but it is normal in Egypt-long queue to buy a visa and next another queue to get the stamp, lots of Russians which are trying to get in front of everyone else without queuing. The visa is 25 US dollars per person in the bank counters, some agents at the airport tried to sell them for £19.

It took 25 minutes to get to the hotel from the airport in a private taxi. We arrived to the hotel after 10 p.m. so the restaurant was closed but they prepared for us few plates with some food. The room was very spacious with big bathroom and had a nice sea/pool view. The check in was very quick with cold towels and welcome drinks. We also have emailed the hotel before our arrival and asked for two rooms close to each other on 2nd floor, and we got it. Each room has got a safe, you can use it free of charge. Wifi is available in the lobby, but we could pick up the signal from the pool bar on our balcony.

Beach / Pool

It was the first hotel where I didn’t have to get up early to reserve the beach or pool umbrellas. You could still find some even after 10am. There were lots of sun loungers as well. I think it may change when they open the other wing of the hotel. The pools most of the time were empty. The board with temperature info indicated that the pool had 25 degrees but I think it was less than 25. Some of the pools were not cleaned properly with lots of sand remaining on the bottom, especially the little pool with sun loungers in the water and also kids pool (next to the kids playground).

The pier (about 250 metres long) is really useful as the sea is very shallow. Lots of umbrellas on the beach, but the sand is not very nice, it is rough and has lots of bits of shells. If you want to get to the water, water shoes are essential as there are plenty of sharp stones everywhere and the sand on the bottom of the sea feels like a mud. It was our first holiday when we unfortunately spend more time at the pool than on the beach. There is some sun loungers and umbrellas at the end of pier. There is also a cupboard with fins, snorkelling sets and water shoes which you can use free of charge. The pier has two water entrances, one on the side to the lagoon and one at the end to the open sea. The snorkelling is fairly good but the coral reef isn’t very colourful (it is a bit grey and looks like it is dying?). Fortunately there is lots of different fish and if you stay at least few days I can guarantee you will see bluespotted stingray, lion fish, pipe fish or lizard fish and lots of other fish. Sometimes, you can also spot them from the pier. When the sea is calm, in early morning before 7am, or in late afternoon, around 7pm, you can see the big turtles-look at one of my pictures (usually they are about 20-30 metres away from the end of the pier).

Food/Drinks/Service

Every day you get one big bottled water in the room but if you need any more, you can get them from any bar. The wine was average, beer was good, mixed drinks were not very tasty. They usually fill ¾ of your cup with alcohol. At the pool and beach bar all drinks have been served in cups around 150ml ! If you want to save the journeys to the bar, take a big thermo mug. If you wanted mojito you had to pay 3 dollars extra - I have never seen anything like this.

The good thing about the food in the hotel is that none of us had stomach upset, we also didn’t meet anyone who would have any problems. The food is not what you would except from the 5 star hotel. The selection and quality of food wasn’t better than a good 3 star hotel. The white cheese, omelettes and sweet rolls for breakfast were great, but baked beans and beef sausages were awful. Also the choice of meat was very poor – only one type of fish, skinny chicken and beef. The selection of vegs and desserts was quiet good. Once a week there is a cocktail party at the beach bar – the food was much better than in the restaurant and included very good sushi. You can go to the Italian and Mexican a’la carte restaurant if you stay 1 week or twice to each of them if you stay 2 weeks. The Italian was average, the Mexican much better with great fried ice creams.

The service unfortunately was very poor, especially in the buffet restaurant. The plates very often stayed for a long time on the tables, you could wait for the drinks ages unless you asked for the drinks. Also I would except the plates in few different places, but usually you had to look for them. Some of the staff worked hard (especially the beach and pool bar staff), but most of them were absolutely useless and lazy (like the waiter in the sushi bar which was more interested in watching the match than serving the customers). They can’t except and don’t deserve tips with such a poor service!

Entertainment / Kids

We didn’t go there to look for the night entertainment as we had two little kids, but we have seen few evening performances which were not bad. They have lots of activities during the day but not many people were keen on playing games. It is just impossible to play volleyball at 11 am as the sand is burning hot (there are two goals on the beach and volleyball pitch). It would be good if they would play music at the pool.

The hotel has got the kids club for the kids. The kids have enjoyed it and looked happy. Next to the kids pool and beach there is a playground as well.

Other

Our friends have been accused by the hotel of damaging the toilet seat and they have been told they have to pay 50 dollars. After a long chat with the reception, they decided it isn’t their fault. It was damaged or swapped by the cleaner! When I read about similar things in the reviews, I often don’t believe it but it really did happen in this hotel!

One day a member of staff was playing around on the pier with one of the parasols and due to it being windy, the parasol was snatched out of his hands, blew off into the sea hit our friend and my wife in the head. Our friend’s head was covered with blood. The member of staff present on the pier didn’t know what to do, but after few minutes when she was carried to the shore , a doctor turned up. Fortunately it was just few bruises and a cut, they looked well after her and she received apology bouquet of flowers from the hotel manager.

We also booked a private yacht (8 people max) from the rep of the Titanic Diving Centre – next to the beach bar. We paid 350 dollars. It included 40mins on Giftun Island with a chance to see the dolphins(with a tip we managed to stay longer) , introduction to scuba diving (diving at two different reefs) and fishing with lunch and drinks. We were told to came back at 5, but before 4 we were back at the port .

There is not exchange bureau in the hotel but there is cash machine so you can withdraw some cash or exchange other currencies for Egyptian pounds. US dollars are their favourites anyway.

Another surprise you can except during check out, they cut off your wristbands , you just get a voucher which you suppose to present at the restaurant when you eat there. It never happened during lots of my other holidays. Embarrassing - is it really 5 star hotel ??? 11th out of over 180 hotels in Hurghada ??

My expectations and review would be different if I would book 3 or 4 star hotel but if you go to a 5 star hotel with such a good tripadvisor rating you except much more than we have seen there. I would not go there again. I would also look for the hotel with a better beach. If you choose this hotel as your first time holiday, probably you will like it, if you have been in other hotels before, you may be disappointed with Tropitel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family