Ok so we didnt choose this hotel directly, it was recommended to us by the travel agency we booked out liveaboard holiday with. It was supposed to be just 3 nights stay but ended up being a week last minute. What could go wrong with a well known swiss hotel in the previous intercontinental hotel building.....turns out a lot. I review this hotel as a well seasoned traveller, who has experienced the highs and lows of all sorts of hotels around the world, and what to expect and not to expect. This review will be most helpful to people with decent standards, especially when it comes to customer service and food.
First off on arrival at 6pm we were told our double deluxe sea view room wasnt available, nor actually booked. Having showed them the booking they said the room was occupied and not available. We were told to have a twin room and simply push the beds together, as the view was still good. Of course we advised this is not acceptable (especially as the beds couldnt be closely pushed together), so we got sent to view another room with a poor quality view of the back of the hotel practically and no balcony really. In the end we had no choice but to stay in the twin room and transfer the next day. mini bar not stocked. The next day we had to visit the reception 3 times before given a time before we could move to our new room. This spoils your relaxing day.
The room itself was nice, bathroom with bath and shower, nice balcony, large queen sized bed, working air con, lcd tv with movie channels and news channels. Tea and coffee provided but no creamer or milk, and room stank of cigarettes and we had asked for non smoking room. When calling on room service for a pot of tea with fresh milk, we get 2 packets of creamer on its own. I had to phone 3 times to get what i want delivered.
After settling in we enquired about upgrading to all inclusive. The weeks stay BnB was around £300 pp and the upgrade we were told was $USD700 for 2 ppl, which included ice creams and 2 visits to al a carte. we were advised its more cost effective then just eating in al a carte restaurants. Anyways after visiting the worst buffet restaurant i have ever seen i immediately regretted my decision. It was egyptian themed night and the food was low quality. The vermicelli soup tasted of warm chicken broth with undercooked pasta in it, the stir fry chicken was mainly fat, skin and gristle, and the rest looked so bad i didnt dare eat it. Not surprisingly i was then ill with vomiting and diarrhoea for the next 5 days. The next day my partner said the lunch was so bad we decided to ask for a refund. We were told we had to pay $200 for the 2 days - err what! - i only had 3 hrs in the resort the first night and a lunchtime the next day - how is that 2 full days...? Anyways i was rudely told i had no choice but to pay but they would speak to management. Pissed off we went for ice cream, only to be told it was for kids only and adults had to pay extra. When losing yet another argument, we asked at reception, they denied saying it was part of the all inclusive and i should have read the small print on the letter we got. They seriously mis advertised the all inclusive but were happy to take the $700. And to top it off not even free wifi.....£3 GDP per 10mins or £60 for the week...what a joke on top of the prices. And btw, breakfast...dont expect full english....shambles (except for fresh juice).
In the end we got $500 refund and ate at the al a carte restaurant. The fish restaurant was closed down but the menu was available at the italian. Now there must be a different chef here because the food was passable. Not great at all but reasonable for egpyt, including lobster thermidor. So we ate here for every dinner. Lunch was ok paying separately at the pool side eatery, but my partner fell ill just as i got better after day 5 after the salmon.
My partner infact was so ill i needed the pharmacy involved. Reception struggled with the english language big time but had no issues with the russian clientele. After a few hours i managed to get the drugs i needed delivered, after waiting 2 hours for a drug which was never coming as the reception cocked it up - they blamed misunderstanding as they did all holiday.
So they were the main issues, but other things followed. Daily begging around 4-5pm by the room cleaner 'asking if the room was ok'? expecting daily tips, music quite loud most nights was just about tolerable, annoying animation team doing aqua gym every day with loud blaring music, and in general rude hotel guests made up by 90% russians. They werent all rude dont get me wrong, but pleasant....not really. This hotel is catering big time for russian clientele, and even the waiters in the bars said that british people who come avoid the buffet like the plague and pay to dine a la carte or eat outside the hotel.
The beach was ok, the pool was nothing special. The only good bits were the bar guys at the terrace restaurant by the pool offering friendly service, and the customer service lady (russian i think) who acutally got us a free all inclusive day after we complained....she was the only person with a head screwed on correctly regarding customer service. Personally i would sack all the incompetant reception desk workers except Dina who was lovely, or send them on training days.
Over the week i saw no end of people complaining, especially french customers. pattern occurring?hmmm... Anyway the week was rounded off by a $10USD per hour fee for late checkout when my girlfriend was ill and needed to stay in bed whilst we waited for our transfer to our boat..... they could have helped us and given it as a good will gesture for all the cockups.....but no...well what did i expect.
I will be writing a letter to the travel company to advise them never to send british people to this hotel. A disgrace to the movenpick name. If anything comes out of this, if the management read this, get new reception staff and sort out your restaurants.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Continental HoteL Hurghada is located in Hurghada's Promenade and local attractions include New Marina as well as nearby shopping and entertainment facilities. Hotel Features. This Hurghada property has a private beach offering diving and large variety of water sports directly from the beach. Dining options at Moevenpick Resort Hurghada include a buffet restaurant and 2 specialty restaurants, a pool side restaurant and a beach bar. Room service is available 24 hours a day. Recreational amenities include an outdoor pool, a children's pool, a health club, a sauna, and a fitness facility. Spa amenities include massage/treatment rooms and beauty services. This 5star property offers a large event space consisting of banquet facilities, conference/meeting rooms and exhibit space, audio-visual equipment and wireless Internet access in public areas. Concierge services and tour assistance are available as well Airport shuttle service. Guestrooms. 252 air-conditioned guestrooms at Continetal Hotel Hurghada feature minibars and coffee/tea makers. All accommodations have balconies and enjoy great views over the pool and the Red Sea. Bathrooms feature, bath tub, bidets, makeup/shaving mirrors and hair dryers. In addition to safes, guestrooms offer direct dial phones, Satellite television and internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Continental Hotel Hurghada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Continental Resort Hurghada Hotel Hurghada
- Intercontinental Hotel Hurghada
- Intercontinental Resort Hurghada
- Intercontinental Hurghada