“Best hotel in the region!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh

The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
Ranked #1 of 229 Hotels in Hurghada
“Best hotel in the region!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Definately the best hotel in Hurghada. The villas are excellent, The food is very good, as is the SPA (Salin gives the best Thai massage ever)! The staff is very friendly, especially Khalifa made our stay. Some if the staff in reception could work on their English skills where it comes to understanding the guests, and on their execution (some things just didn't work as smooth as you might be used to in comparison).
We especially liked that the hotel isn't as huge as many of the other in the region, feels less crowded therefore. Thank you very much, we will come back!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Oberoi_SahlHasheesh, General Manager at The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh on your recent visit. I take this opportunity to thank you for your time in evaluating our product and services.

We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel, team and services, especially the contribution of the Chef, Salin and Khalifa. We are glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.

I have also taken note of your comment regarding the comprehension issues you faced at the reception. I apologize for the inconvenience. I have taken the matter with the team and we will work on improving the skills.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

reuben.kataria@oberoihotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We spent a very enjoyable week here over the Easter period and the hotel itself was exactly what you would expect from a property in this group. However I have been fortunate to visit a number of Oberoi hotels in different parts of the world and for regular visitors there are one or two areas which may need sharpening up to maintain the consistency that regular guests to this chain are used to.

The service in the bar in the evening was often painfully slow and caused frustration for us and a number of other guests. This seemed particularly true if you had decided to sit outside overlooking the pool. Out of sight was definitely out of mind, even when the bar wasn't busy
As many have commented, the Indian restaurant is really excellent with a superb selection of unusual dishes. However in the main restaurant the service was often a little too chaotic. There were certainly plenty of staff, almost entirely male, which may actually be the problem !!! ('too many 'Chiefs' ?) but the whole operation seemed very disorganized and fragmented. When mistakes were made there was no hesitation in apologizing but on many occasions the number of apologies required to keep us and people seated around us satisfied made for an uncomfortable dining experience.

Although there is a reasonable wine list with prices to match !!, there is very limited expertise at the hotel which reflected in the 'advice' provided and the ability to serve wine professionally. A number of the wines listed were unavailable all week !! but there was no system for alerting guests to that at the time of ordering but only after a lengthy search !! Very frustrating. Part of this I'm sure is cultural .. but is in stark contrast with the passion for wine that is evident in some other properties in the chain in the Muslim world .. Oberoi Mauritius for example.

Having said all of that the rooms, the general areas of the hotel were first class and the service and facilities available at the Dive Center were impressive. Some may find the location of the hotel not to there taste but for me it was a bonus to be well off the beaten track. The strength and quality of the WIFI connection even in the public areas of the hotel was poor ..so if you're planning to combine a little work with your stay you may be in for a frustrating time.

Having said all of this ...would I return ..yes I would ..but with my expectations suitably lowered in a number of areas. I think an injection of experienced staff may improve the situation but I appreciate the difficulties as Egypt grapples with its current challenges. I had a good conversation with a very efficient and professional lady from Customer Services before we departed and I genuinely felt that she understood the comments reflected here.

Room Tip: Suite 405 is an excellent room some distance from the main part of the hotel but right on the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Hugh B
Dear Guest,

We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I have taken careful note of your comments regarding the Wi-Fi and the service in the bar and on the issue of non availability of wines. I apologize for the inconvenience. I will like to assure you that you will find a marked difference the next time you visit us

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I chose Oberoi to be our destination on our anniversairy. We had an amazing time. We stayed in a suite with a private pool, all staff were so welcoming and helpful. It's the perfect place where you will feel completely pampered.
It's a romantic hotel, highly recommended for couples and the spa is a must trial .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nermine M
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and felt pampered.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a wonderful week at the Oberoi. I rarely write reviews but with The Oberoi I felt the need to share my thoughts and I will try to be as concise as possible without repeating what other guests have already described. The Oberoi is providing a truly unique service and distinguishes itself from the mass market. The resorts 'all-suite' concept, facilities and layout is designed to give a true sense of tranquility and privacy. The service level is beyond vast majority of Hotels in Egypt and perhaps in the region. Staff are courteous and pertain the right balance between friendliness , sense of service but without being intrusive. The hotel has a clear vision and strategy in providing good to excellent quality of food. Even thought with difficulties in Egypt with the suppliers in the tourism industry the Hotel is able to maintain high standard. The chefs are true professionals that work hard to constantly deliver the desired quality with constantly changing menus and are willing to go beyond to fulfill the guests needs while also being open for suggestions and comments.
Finally the hotel's management and GM are at the hart of its success, showing true commitment and ensuring guests satisfaction. Overall with the high level of professionalism, and genuine sense of service the place provides the guest with a true and unpretentious sense of comfort and intimacy. To conclude this one of Egypt's best Hotels.

Some points for improvement :
1. While knowing that Internet is a common issue in Hurghada and Egypt in general, I hope one day this can improve.
2. Improve quality of coffee ie espresso, cappuccino. American coffee is fine
2. Improvement -in suite- coffee and tea facility
3. Movie night -more recent movies-

Thank you Mr. Kataria and team, I am certain we will meet again in the nearby future.

George K.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel, team and services, especially the food at the hotel. We are glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.

I have also taken note of your comment regarding the Wi-Fi, latest movies and the quality of coffee. I assure you that you will find a marked improvement the next time you are here,

We are extremely delighted to have you as an “ambassador” for The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh and look forward to welcoming you and family back to our lovely hotel.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have never visited such an excellent hotel like Oberoi !! .. everything is a truly 5 stars , service, staff, food, location , rooms .. everything is just amazing !
i spent my honeymoon there for 4 nights which i do recommend for all honeymooners , they will treat you like you are their only and favourite guest in the hotel , they will pamper you with everything they can provide , they will simply amaze you in every single detail

Oberoi , You are the best ! .. Please keep it up to this level always

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Oberoi_SahlHasheesh, General Manager at The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel, team and services. I am glad that you felt pampered

At The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh, we are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

We are extremely delighted to have you as an “ambassador” for The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh and look forward to welcoming you back for the fifth time.

Thank you for your continued patronage.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had very good time in the hotel, the service is just perfect. the first time I eat real Indian food in Egypt.
thanks to Mostafa "the receptionist" and Mohamed Salah "the beach coordinator" for making my stay amazing, and I would like to thank the GM as I saw him many times in the restaurant asking the guests about the food and making sure everything is fine and also for meeting us during check out to wish us a safe flight.
only one thing I didn't like, the internet connection is very very slow and the Wi-Fi range is very poor on the beach.

Room Tip: the best hotel for couples
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mohab78
Oberoi_SahlHasheesh, General Manager at The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the hotel, team and services, especially the contribution of Mustafa and Mohamed Saleh. We are glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.

I have also taken note of your comment regarding the Wi-Fi and will try and improve on the same.

We are extremely delighted to have you as an “ambassador” for The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh and look forward to welcoming you back.

Midlands, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I have just spent 14 days at The Oberoi. It was our second visit there, the first being in May last year. If first class hospitality, cleanliness, cuisine and tranquillity are high on your priority list it is the place I recommend for the “perfect holiday”. We tried very hard in the face of rigorous questioning from the hotel management as to what they could do better, but try as we might (and we tried very hard!) we could come up with nothing to add to the outstanding experience we once again enjoyed; so instead we booked again for another 2 weeks later in the year!
From the quite excellent manager, Mr Kataria, the chefs, housekeepers, front of house staff and the gardeners, the level of courteous civility was absolutely top drawer, genuine and most appreciated. The food was some of the best cuisine we have ever eaten anywhere.
The Oberoi is truly deserving of its place as the best hotel in Hurghada. In fact I have stayed in few hotels in the world (and I have stayed in many), which come even close to approaching the standard set by this quite excellent establishment. For those who have avoided Egypt in the recent past due to its political difficulties, I say go there and see for yourself; we found it safe, friendly and in all respects the most fabulous place to enjoy a pampered, peaceful and relaxing holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hale292
Dear Guest,

I would also like to second your recommendation of Sahl Hasheesh being a safe and friendly destination and a fabulous place to enjoy a pampered, peaceful and relaxing holiday.