We went to oberoi Shal Hasheesh from Aswan by a cab (6.5 hours drive and cost us 145 Euro+tips) after visiting Cairo and then a river cruise from Luxor to Aswan. Our driver could not find the hotel to start with as it is bery subtly presented on the outside with a driveway leading to the main reception.
But once we were inside it was majestic.
a few tips about Egypt first-
the guides take you to all sorts of places like papyrus factory, Essence factories, Alabastor factories and spend less time at the temples and monuments like pyramids etc.
As we understand the guides get upto 50-70% commission on what you buy. They probably get a basic sum for just brining you there hence it is not necessary that one should buy from where you are taken.
People hassle a lot in the streets etc trying to sell things a good way to avoid is not to look in their eyes and walk past.
The rate you get to change your British pound is much better in Egypt (around 8/£) as compared to what you get in UK (it was around 7.05/£).
points about the this hotel-
1. its an all suite resort and the service in the suit is great with your private sun loungers, bedroom, reception room, walk-in wardrobe and bathroom. Some suites have their own pool as well.
2. provision of regular bottled water, fruits in the room. Provision of water, cold towels, juice at the pool and beach without extra charge is a great service. (Our 5* hotel in Cairo, Hilton, had charged us nearly £3 for each small bottle of water in the room)
3. the manager's complimentary cocktail reception the day after arrival was a good way to meet fellow arrivals and learn about the services at the hotel.
4. Egypt is a place of lot of hassle from sellers and tipping busineess. At this hotel however it was great to learn that they don't encourage tipping. The staff doesnt expect it and provides same good service irrespective of tipping.
This takes away a lot of mental stress as you are constantly working out and trying to find small notes to tip people in Egypt.
5. We only went to the Indian restaurant for the meals and the quality of food was very good. The selection of music was not great and the live music could be better as well.
The chief chef and the other chef (both from India) were great and they even made dishes on request in advance.
6. Breakfast choice was limited but sufficient with good service.
7. The hotel had about half the occupancy but as we understand from fellow travellers that we met that the resort feels very private even when its very full.
8. Gym was empty on all the days that we went which was great for a work out which was limited by the toe injury that I picked up a the pool.
9. the pool is relatively small but again there were only a few people and it did not feel crowded. People have choice at their own private pool and the sea hence probably it doesnt seem crowded. The outdoor kitchen at the pool side was under renovation.
The stone flooring just outside the pool is very smooth and I slipped and developed a soft tissue injury to the toe.
10. if you are looking for a sandy beach then Hughada is not the place as the sand is only on the beach and once you enter water its rocky.
I went snorkling for the first time. The hotel has its own diving centre with reasonable charges for the equiptment rental.
The temperature wasnt great there in Hurghada in Jan (22-23 degrees) and was very windy but we had a few days of clear skies.
overall our stay was great there. There is however not much to do at the resort in the evening, we did not venture out in the city and preferred to enjoy the serenity of the place.
11. the kids club is at one end of the resort which kind of puts you off going there and we didnt go there. They however bring the buggies for travelling around the resort very quickely when asked. We used the sofa bed for our daughter in the room and it was nice to have two separate TVs so that we didnt disturb her programmes.
12. we met a lot of people who were revisiting the resort and no wonder as the service and atmosphere is great.
we have no plans to return to Egypt for now but we will definitely stay again and recommend this hotel to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just spent two weeks at the oberoi, the accomodation was a large king bed suite with a seperate sitting area. There are two large flat screen TVs in each suite a private courtyard with dining area and sun loungers. The rooms are tastefully decorated and very comfortable. The bathroom is large with shower and sunken bathroom in granite and the toiletries are replaced daily or if you run short on request. The whole complex is kept remarkably clean by the staff. The staff deserv a special mention because to a man( and woman ) they are polite helpful and above all a friendly people who make you feel welcome an liked.My wife and I both had birthdays during our stay and both had birthday cards and a cake delivered to our room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh Hotel Hurghada
- Oberoi Hotel Hurghada
- Oberoi Hurghada
- Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
- Hurghada Oberoi