“peaceful and great service”

The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
Ranked #1 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
London, United Kingdom
“peaceful and great service”
Reviewed 17 January 2009

We went to oberoi Shal Hasheesh from Aswan by a cab (6.5 hours drive and cost us 145 Euro+tips) after visiting Cairo and then a river cruise from Luxor to Aswan. Our driver could not find the hotel to start with as it is bery subtly presented on the outside with a driveway leading to the main reception.

But once we were inside it was majestic.

a few tips about Egypt first-

the guides take you to all sorts of places like papyrus factory, Essence factories, Alabastor factories and spend less time at the temples and monuments like pyramids etc.

As we understand the guides get upto 50-70% commission on what you buy. They probably get a basic sum for just brining you there hence it is not necessary that one should buy from where you are taken.

People hassle a lot in the streets etc trying to sell things a good way to avoid is not to look in their eyes and walk past.

The rate you get to change your British pound is much better in Egypt (around 8/£) as compared to what you get in UK (it was around 7.05/£).

points about the this hotel-

1. its an all suite resort and the service in the suit is great with your private sun loungers, bedroom, reception room, walk-in wardrobe and bathroom. Some suites have their own pool as well.

2. provision of regular bottled water, fruits in the room. Provision of water, cold towels, juice at the pool and beach without extra charge is a great service. (Our 5* hotel in Cairo, Hilton, had charged us nearly £3 for each small bottle of water in the room)

3. the manager's complimentary cocktail reception the day after arrival was a good way to meet fellow arrivals and learn about the services at the hotel.

4. Egypt is a place of lot of hassle from sellers and tipping busineess. At this hotel however it was great to learn that they don't encourage tipping. The staff doesnt expect it and provides same good service irrespective of tipping.
This takes away a lot of mental stress as you are constantly working out and trying to find small notes to tip people in Egypt.

5. We only went to the Indian restaurant for the meals and the quality of food was very good. The selection of music was not great and the live music could be better as well.

The chief chef and the other chef (both from India) were great and they even made dishes on request in advance.

6. Breakfast choice was limited but sufficient with good service.

7. The hotel had about half the occupancy but as we understand from fellow travellers that we met that the resort feels very private even when its very full.

8. Gym was empty on all the days that we went which was great for a work out which was limited by the toe injury that I picked up a the pool.

9. the pool is relatively small but again there were only a few people and it did not feel crowded. People have choice at their own private pool and the sea hence probably it doesnt seem crowded. The outdoor kitchen at the pool side was under renovation.
The stone flooring just outside the pool is very smooth and I slipped and developed a soft tissue injury to the toe.

10. if you are looking for a sandy beach then Hughada is not the place as the sand is only on the beach and once you enter water its rocky.

I went snorkling for the first time. The hotel has its own diving centre with reasonable charges for the equiptment rental.

The temperature wasnt great there in Hurghada in Jan (22-23 degrees) and was very windy but we had a few days of clear skies.

overall our stay was great there. There is however not much to do at the resort in the evening, we did not venture out in the city and preferred to enjoy the serenity of the place.

11. the kids club is at one end of the resort which kind of puts you off going there and we didnt go there. They however bring the buggies for travelling around the resort very quickely when asked. We used the sofa bed for our daughter in the room and it was nice to have two separate TVs so that we didnt disturb her programmes.

12. we met a lot of people who were revisiting the resort and no wonder as the service and atmosphere is great.

we have no plans to return to Egypt for now but we will definitely stay again and recommend this hotel to others.

• Liked — Sevice and location
  • Disliked — rocky bottom in water
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank babbieyes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2009

We chose this hotel because we were looking for a peaceful and relaxing break at a busy time of year (from 19-26 December). We were not disappointed. The excellent service was way beyond what we have experienced in other Egyptian resorts (including the Four Seasons in Sharm) and made for an entirely stress-free holiday.

Positives:
The food was extremely good for hotel food and the service at meal times was excellent. We got up relatively early and had breakfast typically at 08:30 and almost had the place to ourselves. The buffet was good (but not extensive) and the quality of the a la carte cooked breakfast was excellent. The dining room has lovely views of the sea and the walled courtyard offered a lovely outdoor space to eat breakfast and dinner, should you wish. Food at dinner time was fabulous, the quality of the Australian beef was first class, plus the food in the Indian restaurant was divine.
The suites were a wonderful place to spend time and the courtyard offered the perfect respite from the strong wind that blew on a few days.
The beach was never crowded (even at full capacity) - a big plus for us, as fighting over sun loungers should not be part of a five star experience.
The manager's cocktail evening was a great way of meeting staff and greatly enhanced our stay in that we were told about many different private dining options etc. and learned more about the Oberoi service ethic.
Spa treatments were very good (Banyan Tree) and all girls were from Thailand, so expect a quality Asian-style treatment (unfortunately not at Asian prices).
Snorkelling was wonderful - we saw many species of fish we had not seen elsewhere, as well as being lucky enough to spot some eels and a very large turtle. The reef to the far right of the pontoon had many thousands of fish and for the first two days the sea was like bath water.
The tennis court was of an amazing standard and we even got fruit drinks and cold water provided, along with hand towels, for a true tournament experience!
The stunning architecture and remoteness of the resort had the feel of a boutique retreat, just what we wanted. The stars at night were magical, as were the lit domes of the resort, making the walk to and from dinner simply beautiful.
Finally, the resort appeals to international and discerning clients, providing a refined atmosphere, which is not present at either of the two hotels we usually visit in Sharm. For this reason alone the hotel is like a breath of fresh air in Egypt.

Negatives:
There really is nothing to do here at night and the resort should consider adding a few more options. The hotel lacks; a serious lap pool (open after dusk), gym classes, a relaxed outdoor bar for the evening, and variety in evening entertainment. This is especially relevant due to the area between the hotel and the airport being so uninviting.

Negatives aside, I have no regrets about choosing the Oberoi for this break, which was of better quality then we have experienced elsewhere on the Red Sea.

• Liked — Service, space, tranquility and food quality
  • Disliked — Lack of outside hotel options / evening entertainment options
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AnonBear
UK
Reviewed 2 January 2009

I stayed at the Oberoi in December 2008. I came straight after a stay at the 4 Seasons in Sharm el Sheikh. and I'm afraid the Four Seasons beats the Oberoi hands down!
I was surprised at how windy it was in Hurghada but this is a well known fact apparently! Despite temperatures of 25-29 degrees it felt chilly by the pool/sea. The hotel is situated right at the end of the coast and is furthest away from any shops etc. I went into Hurghada one night and it was a dreadful experience. I have never known such harassment, from street traders as bad as this, anywhere else in the world. I stayed in the hotel after that experience.The suites are very spacious and well appointed. Some of the courtyards were not so private if they were situated by a pathway to the beach, pool or main hotel. Suite 307 was an absolute suntrap and I loved it.The higher the number of your suite the further away from the main building you were. I was impressed at how many times they tended to your room throughout the day. Fresh fruit is left everyday. L'Occitane products are in the bathrooms, which I thought was nice.
The food at breakfast was awful. The choice was good but the cereals and bread tasted like cardboard. The quality was poor, except for the cooked breakfast. The evening meals were surprisingly good and the service was painfully attentive and at times intrusive. However the hotel was very quiet when I was there, so that may explain it.
The spa was nice but not overly modern. The steam room is like a broom cupboard and you have to switch it on yourself!! The treatment rooms are right next to the gym! A full body massage cost me £65 - I pay £22 for the same in the UK. Staggeringly, she massaged my breasts without even asking! I wasn't bothered but this would undoubtedly offend some women.
Of the criticisms I have, one would be the day they made a swan out of towels and flowers in my room - I would rather they cracked on and cleaned the room, than made silly gestures like this. The views along the coastline are spectacular but the grounds around the suites are a bit baron and could do with some greenery. Overall the hotel lacks atmosphere. It is very sterile. There is not much to do other than relax here. After one swim in their pool I caught an ear infection, which was unfortunate.
On checking out I was charged for internet I could not use (because the lines were down) and the minibar which I did not touch. A young lady called Dalia delighted in entering into an argument with me whilst I refused to pay for services I did not use. Eventually I won this battle but the Oberoi could do without staff with attitudes like this. It does tend to leave a bad taste in your mouth.
I did meet people who were returning guests but I can honestly say I won't be one them, that said I think the suites are fantastic and this hotel does represent very good value for money.

• Liked — spacious and clean. Fantastic courtyard for private sunbathing!
  • Disliked — the silly slippers they provide
  • Stayed December 2008
1 Thank andreasmcc
ealing
Reviewed 13 December 2008

It was our 25th Wedding Anniversary and my husband and I stayed here one week from 28 November in a suite with a private pool. We have previously stayed 3 times at the Four Seasons in Sharm - the last time being in 2005 - in rooms with a sea view.

I feel that service in both the Oberoi and Four Seasons is equally excellent. Both hotels have extensive grounds around which one can easily spend an hour enjoyably walking early in the morning or late afternoon. And both hotels offer peace and quiet. (Note, we have never ventured into Sharm itself nor did we venture into Hurghada). Due to the layout of the Oberoi and the fact that there are fewer rooms (no "time share"/private appartments) you bump into fewer people when walking about which I quite liked. The rooms at the Oberoi are also bigger and I feel better furnished and laid out. They also have enclosed courtyard gardens at the back rather than a balcony or patio at the front.

The suite with the private pool at the Oberoi truely made my week. The pool was heated (winter) and I could swim lengths. The courtyard garden was sheltered from the wind which blew on 2 days that we were there - so no problems with swimming or sitting out outside. Indeed, we very happily spent our days here rather than beside the main pool or on the beach.

For evening meals, The Oberoi has an Indian and an International restaurant. The food in both was of excellent quality. The menu in the International restaurant changes daily whilst that in the Indian remained fixed throughout our stay. Food and drink prices cannot be described as cheap but you are on a 5 Star property so 5 Star prices are naturally the order of the day. The breakfast buffet was perfectly fine - with all the things available that I would expect to be available. The international restaurant has an enclosed internal courtyard (open air) and we ate all our meals in that.

If in future I decided again on a "chill out" week in Egypt, I would stay at the Oberoi if I was into affording a room with a private pool. If I could not afford the pool suite, I would stay at the Four Seasons. This is because they have a separate lap pool as well as the main pool and a childrens pool (only one pool at the Oberoi) and I do enjoy swimming lengths in peace and quiet. (In our stays at the Four Seasons I often had the lap pool to myself).

The Oberoi also very kindly let us keep our suite until 4 pm (check out 12 pm) the day we left - which was the final icing on my cake.

• Liked — Private pool
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008
3 Thank WPKATZ
MILANO
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Hello everybody , It goes without saying that a big hotel like oberoi have to choose the employer which they work there and especially the front office manager and the reception staff , i was surprised when i found that the front office manager insults one of the reception staff in front of the guest and give him an order and then left me without telling me sorry about the hard insult that he told it in front of me ... and I was completely shocked when I found that man from the reception insult back his manager when he left to all his colleague also in front of the guest .. And it is not enough but he insult too the hotel itself! ! ! I wondered why he works there after all the bad words that he said to his manager and to his working place... So let me simply say to which it may concerned that you have to change that front office manager and all the staff of the reception as soon as possible to keep the reputation of the oberoi hotel good.

Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
16 Thank anglo54
Asturias
Reviewed 2 December 2008

Our stay at the Oberoi Red Sea was quite good. The suites are awesome; very big, clean and sophisticated. The staff was extremely pleasant (although it is all about tips!) and we had housekeeping twice a day which is always a plus, specially after you come back from the beach.
I was not very keen on the food though. I found the breakfast buffett quite average and the menu at the Indian restaurant very limited.
The pool area is tiny and there are not enough sun beds. It is impossible to get a chair at the pool unless you go there at 9 in the morning, which is always a nuisance.
The taxis at the hotel are very expensive too, and you need them all the time because the hotel is totally isolated. There´s not much to do there after the sun has gone and you come back from the beach.
We stayed there for a week and it was good although we got very bored at the end. Next time we will stay at the Four Seasons.

• Liked — The suites
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alvarezgranda
London
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We were delighted with this hotel which lives up to the Oberoi high standards. The room was large, modern and of a very high standard. The grounds are spacious and even if the hotel is full you will think hardly anyone is there. The main restaurant is very good and as it is small it is very popular so book a table for dinner if you want to secure your table. (There is also a very good Indian restaurant). This is a quiet hotel with no entertainment offered which is great if you are looking for a quiet getaway.

The beach is beautiful but the only negative point is that due to the coral reefs you cannot swim in the sea directly from the beach. You have to instead get into the water from a manmade wooden pontoon.

The hotel is a 15-20 minute drive from Hurgada & there are no shops or restaurants outside the hotel.

• Liked — Bedroom, sea view
  • Disliked — 20 minute drive to Hurgada & could not swim in the sea directly from beach
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple