“Jackie and Brian Nice hotel, such a shame”

SUNRISE Holidays Resort
Ranked #63 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel because of the good reviews It was our first time in Egypt and we were advised to go all inclusive and we were glad we did. When we arrived on the night the restaurant was open, it was very hot and it was obvious the aircon wasnt working, the room we were given wasnt much better.We were told the next day at the welcome meeting that there was a problem in Hurgada with the electricity and the hotel was running on 20 percent so they said the rooms were priority over everything. This doesnt help when your sat dressed up on a night sweating in the restaurants eating as fast as you can to get out of there, not a relaxing time it made you think whats the point.We tried different ones in the hotel but they where all as hot.We dont know if because of the situation was why they had a problem with ice, it was like gold dust they hardly had any and the drinks were warm most of the time. The food was nice and there was plenty of choice,a different theme each night but after a few days I fell ill and my husband did a few days later in fact he had to cancel his diving one day because of this. There is a diving place on site.The hotel is in a good area with its own lagoon and this is lovely and you have the choice of the pool as well.There is plenty going on during the day and the animation team are great but sometimes a bit to over the top.We kept having power cuts mostly on a night when you where trying to get ready which wasnt for long but sometimes awkward glad I had my flash light on my phone. The entertainment wasnt bad better than some places Ive been, something different each night. There was also a problem of running out of certain drinks but this improved the second week when some friends we met complained.We went out a few times but eating out is not a good idea unless you get a taxi to the marina, we couldnt find any where decent to eat on the main drag. The main drag is busy with maniac taxi drivers and pushy sellers, but if you say no thanks and walk on its fine.When shopping always half what they say and more we got a few bargains.If you do go out the drinks are cheap, there is a good bar near the hotel called the Retro bar which we used to go after 12 when all inclusive drinks stop. There is a night club in the hotel which smells funny but we had a laugh a few nights in there.I think its a shame for the hotel with the situation going on because the reviews where good before all the trouble but not a nice experience for the guests who fall ill, Im at home now and still not well yet. It hasnt put me off coming back to Egypt but unless the situation improves I think peolpe will stay away.

Room Tip: Try and get a room as high up as you can as the aircon is better.
3  Thank JackieEastyorkshire
Write a ReviewReviews (4,811)

Reviewed 18 August 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel for our 1 year wedding anniversary as it had such positive reviews. We read on here nearer to our departure date that there were occassional power cuts and I can confirm that this was across Hurgharda. This did not really effect our holiday on the whole and they didn't last very long. One result of the issues over power in this hotel was the varying quality of the air conditioning. Try to stay on the fifth, sixth or seventh floor for perfect air con as it steadily gets worse the lower down you go. Unfortunately this does apply to all the restaurants which were uncomfortably hot.

Since returning I have read a response to another review from the management (3rd August) stating that they acknowledged the issues with the air con and had put in place a temporary solution and had a two month plan. Putting two fans in the restaurant does not count as a plan.

During the two weeks we spent at Sunrise there were only 4 days when neither my wife or myself were not suffering from stomach cramps, vomiting and/or diahorea. There was clearly something going wrong at the resort as everyone we spoke to was ill at some point with the exact same symptons. If it wasn't for this we would have enjoyed the holiday a great deal more. There were three days when I hardly left our room. The only positive to come out of this was a Dunkirik type spirit between guests as they passed on advice about which medications worked and which did not. Not your typical way to get to know new people but bizarrely amusing as it turned out.

The food in the restaurants was fine. There was always something to appeal to most tastes plus the beach bar offered a range of fast food that meant you did not have to get changed at lunchtime when you were hungry.

The majority of the staff are very helpful and pleasant. Our cleaner in particular made an effort to make our room especially nice for our anniversary. The animation team were enthusiastic and tried to get as many people as possible involved in the activities available. Nastia in particular was very entertaining. Unfortunately, at times, they were a bit too much with their constant whistling and calling out if all you really wanted to do was relax by the lagoon.

Our room was a double on the forth floor with a decent balcony. My wife had emailed in advance to confirm that we had a double room but another couple we met were not so lucky. Their second floor room was a twin and their air con was useless. The rooms themselves are fine but nothing special. The free safe was a bonus.

The excursions and spa are good value for money. There is a dive centre on site that offers trips at competitive prices but don't be afraid to haggle. We paid £30 each for a day of scuba diving. However, their organisation was not very good. Also, we found if we went to Magic Lamp (a similar business next door to the hotel) we found we could get other trips even cheaper. £15 for a days snorkelling/trip to 'Paradise Island' and £20 for parasailing. If you ask the gentleman who transports you to the parasailing nicely he will let you drive the motor boat (much to my wife's glee).

During the evenings we found the entertainment a bit on the poor side. Nothing stood out much but we met some nice people, who had a similar opinion of the entertainment, and enjoyed ourselves a lot. If you decide to venture off resort in the evening I would recommend the marina. On a Thursday night Dunes has ladies night where women get free cocktails (Sex on the Beach or Tequila Sunrise). The beer is reasonable at £20 Egyptian a bottle (about £2.20 British). The Heavens offers fine dining at a reasonable price. Also it has a good wine list which was a blessing. The wine on offer on the all inclusive could unblock drains.

When booking the holiday through Sunshineholidays.com we were informed that it was an adults only resort, as were other guests who booked through different agents. On arrival we discovered that the hotel judges guests as adults as 12 years and above. On the whole this was not an issue as all were accompnaied by their parents and well behaved. I did, however, feel sorry for security who had their hands full with two teenage girls who streaked through reception and around the hotel. It is not an 18-30s resort.

Overall I believe this hotel could be a lot better than it is. Issues over electricity are beyond their control and they should not be judged on this. The wide spread illness experienced by guests cannot be attributed to the heat as one member of staff tried to claim. Guests are either eating, drinking or being exposed to something that is causing them to be ill.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the fifth floor or above. Continue complaining about the air con until you are mov...
5  Thank Stewart T
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We stayed at the sunrise resort between the 27th - 10th August , was a lovely place, very friendly people, especially the entertainers, one in particular sasco , he went out of his way for my daughter as she was the youngest there, and he always made her welcome, thank you sasco you made her holiday. I only have o e fault with the hotel was when we arrived we was in two rooms on the second floor, and the aircon was non existent , I asked if they could do anything about it and they couldn't , so I asked to be moved which we were to the 7th floor, the aircon was fine when you'd been in the hot sunshine all day, then you would be getting ready at night and all the seventh floor tripped off electric, so no aircon or electrics for an hour, it was very hot without aircon, only thing you look forward to at the end of the day is being cool,, so other than that very pleasant stay, I would return again only if they sort there electrics out.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 17 August 2012

First of all you should know where are you going. You are going to visit another cultur which is very different from European style. If you are going to hotel with 5 stars, you cant compare it with European 5* hotels.
This doesnt mean that hotel is bad. Hotel is renovated and it has beautiful rooms. Staff which is working in hotel is VERY friendly, and is ready to help in any situation.
Hotel is located on the beach, near the center of Hurghada (just 5 minuts walk to the center).
Food in hotel is good, but there are some special spices which may not be tasty for you.
Beach is nice with free sunbeds and sun umbrellas.
Animators are working whole day, and in the evening there is happening at the pool (karaoke, dance,...).
We couldnt be more satasfied with the hotel. It exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: If you will have option to pick a room, we advice you a room in the ground floor. Its better because...
4  Thank GregaV89
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed here 6 weeks ago I had a unforgettable time with the family

We arrived in the night time and we were all very impressed the hotel was all lit up and looked beautiful, the people in reception where polite friendly and couldn't do enough. The room was pretty and VERY roomy. The pool was OK it was to crowded, but the pool bar was what made it top notch.

I have a couple of negatives: SUNBEDS- some people ended up paying a member of staff to save a sun beds although there is a man made private beach full of sun beds

My next con is the food hall - IT STUNK AND MADE ME FEEL SICK!

Last- there are some shops withing the hotel and the owner do make you feel nervous.

To sum it up
Sunrise holiday resort hurgada is a great value for money and a amazing holiday get away with great features! Hope this helps

Room Tip: All views are great but try to get a balcony sea view and be on floor 6 the air con works brill
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Liam S
Reviewed 16 August 2012

i thought it was a excellent holiday, there was loads to do on the resort for teenagers, like the jungle disco and the activities on the night with the animation team, luckily we was given a room on the 6th floor which has air cone, the only fault i would give this hotel was the power cuts, as i ended up getting stuck in the lift, the staff was very polite and helpful , id be warned teenagers that the security will follow you everywhere which gets abit frustrating, you just have to tell them to go away, the food was great apart from the rice, the animation team was just excellent so easy to get along with and made the days and nights fun! id make sure you went there on holiday because its great!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brogan T
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Five booked to go, my partner her two daughters, my daughter and myself but only my daughter and I could go. :-(

Flight: Easy-jet cheap and got us there.

Airport: Take a pen to fill your visa out.

Transferrers: Didn't book any, as close to hotel. Cost me £125 Egyptian to the hotel but coming back and when used to haggling cost me only £20 Egyptian.

Hotel: Nice welcome, drink and ice cold towel on arrival. Great room they gave us the suite that was reserved for the three girls. Hotel is tired but they are refurbishing. Food good for the price. Power cuts were a problem for some parts of the hotel but not sixth floor and our room. Staff were great, especially the entertainment team. They work their bu**s off and are so friendly. My bed was comfortable, water when needed and the room was kept very clean.

If you can only take one thing way from this review please, please take the Dolphin trip. Booked it with Gamli it will cost you £30-40 for all day with all drinks and great food. I went swimming in the Bahamas with Dolphins and it cost way more than this. This was brill and one off the bucket list.

This holiday was made great by the people. We met some great people there and there were plenty of young adults my daughter's age which was brilliant. We both made some great new friends.

Great holiday for the money paid, I do recommend, but I know there were other people who had different and poorer experience then we did.

Room Tip: 663 is a massive room and has a lovely view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family