“Possibly the worst 5 Star Hotel in Egypt ... You decide”

SUNRISE Holidays Resort
Ranked #62 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Possibly the worst 5 Star Hotel in Egypt ... You decide

Selected this hotel for Holiday on mixed reviews from trip adviser for 1 x week relaxing holiday in June. The bits missing from the brochure:

1. Food never hot, warm at best.
2. Rooms in poor décor we were located on 5th floor that is a wind tunnel for any ocean facing views.
3. Air conditioning smelt of burning.
4. Regular stomach upsets (food in many case was inedible).
5. Resort resembled a war zone at the hotel entrance; other resort areas we found also had continuous building works with the majority of hotels remaining incomplete.
6. Random power cuts, with room access cards often require resets, this happened to us twice. This affects lifts (safer to use the stairs)
7. Hotel lobby and bar areas smelt of sick, the incense sticks tried to mask this in the lobby.
8. Hotel requires refurbishment (probably cheaper to knock down)
9. Hotel boasts 3 x dining areas. Only 2 open and you have to queue as only limited seating.
10. Not quite all Inclusive, basic items like fresh juices you need to pay for and we arrived late and you have to pay for drinks after 23:59. (Ice Cream must melt, as was never offered or saw any. Drinks are local and not that nice.
11. In my opinion hotel does not offer sufficient seating for the size of the hotel, difficult to find any area to relax in if staying in at night.
12. For the adventurous, you need to take a “bear Grills" survival course to negotiate the paths, potholes, beggars and local store holders for that genuine antique. Perhaps a first aid course negotiating the beds and worn out bed linen.
13. Plastic glasses are poorly washed (resembles sheep dipping), dining tables never complete and missing items.
14. Indigenous visitors ensure you have company.
15. Safes not offered for valuables.
16. Beach bar has limited selection of food and rarely changes its menu; Barbecue area must have been broken as never lit.
17. Beach offers a red flag that suggest if hung you won’t get hassled by the many ticket sellers (Touts); ours did the opposite it was like "bees" to honey.

There is some positives, the sun shines, and the manmade beech provides a good illusion you are ion the golden sands of Egypt unfortunately it doesn't take long for the reality to hit home 24 hours if you’re lucky. One thing that is perfect is there is a good chemist across the road for the yellow bombs.

Good Luck for those choosing this one, I won't be going again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel Hotel Faces a Building Site Poor Hygiene
7  Thank Ollisiumfields
Write a ReviewReviews (4,757)

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic place. We had an amazing experience. The staff where always welcoming, polite, curtios, attentive, funny and professional throughout our stay.
Mr Ahmed beach bar manager a super star.
Mr Hamada duty manager 'never sleeps'. Miss Gigi, Mr Ioni, part of an amazing entertainment team who had a never ending amount of energy, enthusiasm and smiles for everyone.
The gardeners, chefs, waiters, beach attendants, front office staff, where amazing every day.
Mr Hergazy who looked after our room was superb, a gentleman.
Food was super, so much choice, so nice.
All in all an amazing holiday, relaxing, chilled out, a holiday as it should be. Made by location, service, and not least tremendous STAFF who's attention to detail is second to non.
Getting to know your customers and their requirements is key.
The management team must be very proud.
5 star all the way.
Room 722 wow what a view!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bellydancer16
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Back from another great holiday. Lots of people keep going back to this hotel because it is so good . The hotel is not a large place with several pools and hundreds of guests all fighting for sun beds.
It is a small hotel compared to the other ones in hurghada there is 1 pool and a lagoon for snorkelling and beach lovers. I have stayed in 3 other hotels in hurghada where Germans and Russian can be rude to everyone and never see them again. Not at this hotel you actually get to be friends with all sorts of people this year my wife and I have made friends from Prague,Russia,Cairo,holland wales and Germany communication is a little challenging but great fun Gigi on the entertainments is great at getting people talking and helping with language translation. Sun beds are always available no need to get up in the middle of the night to try and reserve we have always got a bed where we want it thanks to the pool guys who will move them for you.
So now for the food if you are on a diet don't go fresh amazing lots of different food and if you really can't find something there is a pasta chef who will cook what you want the head chef and the sou chef are very passionate about there food well done guy's.

Some people you know the ones that stay in 5* hotels all over the world drink all day long and consider dressing up a track suite complain the hotel needs updating the hotel is clean and functional and extremely friendly the managers are regular visitors around the guests ensuring everyone is happy.

If you are looking to do a boat trip see gamel a guy near the pool we have done dolphin house with him 3 years running he can't guarantee seeing dolphins but he can great snorkelling we have done it 3 years running and swim with dolphins every time we did have a girl complain on the boat last year because she never got to kiss a dolphin you do get them.

Looking forward to next year going back again

6  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I do not normally review hotels I stay in, however I just had to write one since I have never experienced such great hospitality and helpfulness as I have experienced at this hotel. I have coeliac disease and cannot eat gluten. Very few people are aware if this condition in Egypt and in the past it has proved quite difficult to explain and for them to adhere to. This hotel has been the exception! Every day I stayed here, my dinner was freshly prepared for me, free from gluten and of my choice. They have cooked me fish, chicken, beef, prawns and all with an amazing smile every night at a time of my choice. I felt very looked after and nothing was ever too much trouble for them. The chefs Yosry and Ashrf came out every day and spoke to me, they offered to cook me anything at any time. I cannot praise the chefs enough for their amazing hospitality and I would recommend this hotel for anyone who has to follow a specific diet. Thanks so much for making my holiday stress free and healthy!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have visited Egypt before but went to Sharm 8 years ago and was not impressed, my girlfriend and I wanted somewhere hot and cheap and Egypt seemed to tick the boxes so thought I would give it a second chance. I stayed at this resort from the 27th June to 9th July.

I will start by saying that Hurghada airport is the worst I have ever been to, so unorganised and chaotic both arriving and departing so be prepared for that but obviously this is not the Hotels fault.

So here goes;

Location: Brilliant, you are close to Hurghada if you want to go out and visit the local shops etc. The beach/lagoon is fantastic especially if you enjoy snorkelling. Even when the sea was a bit rough the lagoon was always calm and there are plenty of fish to see.

Hotel: The hotel is old and could do with a bit of TLC. We were on the 5th floor facing the sea which was a fantastic view. The room was just what we wanted, comfortable with air con, decent tv and somewhere to shower and sleep nothing particularly special. The room was cleaned everyday to a very good standard.

Entertainment: I will start by saying the entertainment team work bloody hard and long days and do a fantastic job with what resources they have available. During the day there are plenty of activities to get involved with. The evening entertainment was not great to be honest again mostly due to lack of resources.

Staff: Most of the staff were helpful and friendly, one or two were visually miserable all the time and not friendly but thats just my opinion.

I feel this next paragraph needs to be said but should not reflect on the other members of staff.
As I already said the entertainment team were fantastic except one which is incredible considering its the Entertainment Manager, I think his name was Messo. He was VERY inappropriate to some of the female guests, even to my friends girlfriend asking her to slip away from her boyfriend for a few hours in the evening so they could be alone as well as a few other comments. I feel this needs to said because its appalling and disgusting behaviour especially for a manager. My friend did complain on the last day so as not to cause any more awkwardness and was told the hotel will be taking action, I dont know if anything has been done but I do hope he was sacked. I have read other reviews on here and so know its not the first time he has done this sort of thing and I think female guests should be aware of this.

Food: The food variety was poor and the quality was average. We didn't starve by any means but for a supposed 5 star hotel I expected much better. I will say though the Sunday Roast thought they do for the british guests was fantastic. I did have stomach cramps a few times but I put this down to over indulgence rather than bad food.

This was a nice cheap holiday with a great beach/lagoon for snorkelling and swimming. We were never bored and did have a good holiday. I personally would not go back just because I feel the world is a big enough place to explore but I can see why some people do go back. We some new friends and generally had good fun with all the guests we encountered, even the Germans ;-).

I will say the main thing about this hotel is, it is what you make of it. Its not worth 5 stars but you can have a good holiday.

Room Tip: Face the sea but dont go above the fourth floor just because it can be a bit of a long walk to the b...
5  Thank Bobbins2687
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel has some of the most pleasant and helpful staff I have ever experience in 50 years of travelling.. The room was an upgrade( paid for) to a sea view , second to none, with large balcony and plenty of space in the shower room and bedroom with the extra large bed. The staff kept the room extremely clean.
We stayed 11 nights all inclusive, the house red wine was not pleasing to the palate, the whisky was even worse !
The food plentiful but was average, and when the delights of roast beef, chicken or roast lamb was served the chef took over instead of self service and ensured the portions were minimum to the point of minute.
Arrival at the hotel was a shock, you had to route out the luggage from the hold of the coach yourself, carry it up the numerous steps of the hotel and deposit it in reception, not good for the old, unfit or infirm. However the staff , once inside , ensure it was taken to your room. Be prepared with plenty of pound coins, nearly everyone you meet in Egypt requires one for their services.
The sunbed reservations were duly made by both our German and Russian cousins very very early in the morning, the fun was in watching from our balcony , the daily scurry about 6 .15 am or earlier each morning.
The mini bar was stocked with two bottles of water daily( nothing else unless you paid the requisite fee)
As with a lot of others we suffered Egyptian tummy, fortunately a very helpful pharmacy is across the road.
There is ,besides the self service restaurants, an Al a Carte restaurant, regrettably they have not got the hang of it yet, the service is poor, the food OK , I think there are a few training needs and a better understanding of what is needed, but the staff are pleasant, tried hard, failed on all counts miserably.
I appreciated the efforts made by ALL the staff to make the holiday enjoyable , the weather , the child free element and the central location and the room was good .
The hotel is listed as five star, I think it is realistically an English 3 star. It is a shame that the hotel management did not enforce the set dress codes.
So, would I return, Yes! Did I have an enjoyable and relaxing holiday. Yes! Did I appreciate the efforts of all the staff. Yes! Overall is worth a visit.

Room Tip: Contact hotel by email and request an upgrade.. There is a small charge on arrival. But worthwhile...
3  Thank BobHuntbach
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We travelled as a couple on our first holiday together on June 10th for 2 weeks.

1. Airport... After arriving in Hurghada airport we were told before hand you could choose to pay the Visa or not depending on what trips and excursions you wished to do, this was not the case when going through security as you was made to pay and different prices were given to different couples. After collecting our luggage we went straight to the coaches for our transfer, a Egyptian man literally lifted our luggage into the undercarriage of the coach and expected us to give him £1 which we did but wouldn't carry this on throughout the holiday.

2. Arriving at the hotel... We arrive at the hotel after a short 10-15 minute transfer around 11pm, we were asked to hand over our passports and were given a nice and much needed drink- i found this very pleasant. We were given our rooms and told our luggage would be sent up within 10 minutes. This whole process took around 30 minutes as there were quite a few couples and families from our flight.

3. Our room... we were on the 7th floor in room 744 the room itself was not massive but for what we wanted it was efficient, had everything you needed and was very clean, as a bonus we had a massive balcony and a great sea view. After doing you bed test, I certainly regretted jumping on it as the mattress was very hard, we phoned reception straight away and the next morning was given another mattress- great service there. During our stay the hotel had a lot of problems with the air conditioning which meant one night we were left without any air con all together, which us Brits find very difficult to cope with especially when it is over 30 degrees on an evening. We phoned reception to ask if they could provide us with a fan, which they said they did not have any- I find this highly unlikely but I suppose they are a big hotel and cannot provide everybody with fans. this particular night we found sleeping with wet towels draped over us was the only thing to cool us down, but we did not get much sleep. It took the hotel 2 days to fix the air con and even afterwards it was not great- for a big hotel I think it is a bit ridiculous.

4. Pool & Beach... we only sunbathed round the pool once during our stay, which for me being a pool baby is very unusual. I found the pool area very nosy and the entertainment team are constantly going about their daily activities which I do appreciate but when we are sun bathing and they come and move the sunbeds next to us and play darts right up to our personal space i find it a bit uncomfortable. Also they are constantly blowing there whistles which there is just no need for- I might sound boring and old for my age but I just found it quite rude. The pool itself was nice a refreshing which is great in the heat but it does seem quite dirty. The beach area and lagoon was quite the opposite and was very relaxing- minus being hassled by the Egyptians trying to sell trips and beauty to you, even with a red flag they still come over. One man trying to sell us facial care would not take no for an answer and even threaded only half my face- this made me very unhappy and I cannot say i was kind to him for our remaining time there. The sea is amazing if you enjoy snorkeling and seeing all the fish. One tip- although the hotel is stated to be all inclusive this is not always the case, the man that walks around with very refreshing drinks will give you them and then later come over getting you to sign a receipt charging it to your room!

5. Food and drink... the food can seem very repetitive especially in the buffet restaurants in breakfast- although the omelets are very nice! the buffet has a different themed night each night and i would recommend the Sunday dinner and the Asian night! Due to being part of Thomas Cook we were allowed to eat in the a la carte as much as we wanted, we ended up going twice and although the service was not great, the food was very nice. I advise everybody to take a trip down to the Marina, take the hotel taxi for safety and peace of mind, we went twice and you get no hassle and the Thai and Indian restaurants are amazing and very cheap. We also went to the hardrock cafe which was amazing too so if you fancy something different these are great options. Drinks are made very very very strong which if you like is great but sometimes you cannot drink them, i cannot say i found one drink that i liked throughout the whole holiday. A strawberry daquari would have been great...

6. Staff... Management team are great and are always walking round during the day to ensure you are enjoying your stay. The entertainment team are at times a little annoying but are great for those who want to get involved. Shows on an evening are ok- but not very professional I would say they would entertain children more which this hotel is adults only... Staff tend to pick and choose who they want look after and who they do not which you can see quite clearly. Myself and partner preferred to keep away from it all so this did not bother us.

7. Trips... We booked all our trips through Thomas Cook and enjoyed every single one of them, we did the Dolphin Safari- great for seeing some amazing coral reefs, Dessert adventure- a fantastic day out and the Submarine- a little warm once you are down there but it is a great experience. The only downfall to the trips is that they give you a time in which you are picked up but they never stick to this time and if you are not stood right at the front door when they arrive, they will leave without you!

Overall we had a great holiday and met some amazing couples. I would not say the hotel is a 5* but they are trying their hardest to keep it up to a high standard, maybe a lick of paint would push it up a little.

Room Tip: All Rooms are sea view but make sure you ask for a big balcony and a higher floor for the best views...
3  Thank Tasha_Wood