“Loved it!”

SUNRISE Holidays Resort
Ranked #63 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hotel was nice and clean and right on the beach. We spent our holiday by the pool where the entertainment team amused us until 5pm. They are by far the best entertainment team I've had on holiday as they didn't annoy you when you didn't feel like doing water aerobics but they were always there to make you laugh, even when you were stood waiting to go home. I also liked the fact that the manager just wondered around so if you had a problem you could just walk up to him and let him know. The only problem we had was on our last day. As we had a late flight we wanted to extend our stay for another 3 hours but we got told they were booked up, only to find that just as we were leaving the room was only just being cleaned which meant we could've stayed there longer. Apart from that, the staff were all brilliant, always wiling to help and always topping up your drink.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up had amazing views of the marina
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Charlotte R
Write a ReviewReviews (4,804)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Me and my partner stayed here from 25th June-8th July. On arrival to the hotel staff were very effiecent in getting us to our rooms quick as it was late at night when we arrived. A drink was brought to us while we waited for them to scan our passports etc. Then a member of staff carried our cases to the room and showed us our room (644), the air con wasn't working. He said he would send someone to look in 10 minutes (it was 11pm at night) nobody showed so we went to sleep, needless to say we woke up absolutely boiling, my partner went to reception to get it fixed at 6am, again "somebody will be up in 10 minutes" nobody came until 8am. Even after it was 'fixed' it barely worked and the room was still extremely warm and uncomfortable.

On further inspection, the bathroom was not acceptable, very worn and desperately needed refurbishing!! There was a damp smell and the grout in floor tiles was mouldy. I asked at reception to see a room with refurbished bathroom, after 3 days of asking and being told "we have no rooms available, come back tomorrow when people have checked out" we were finally showed room 419, which was far better than the first room, you could clearly see bathroom had been refurbed with a modern walk in shower, an extendable mirror and the whole room had very smart mmarble type floor tiles. Level 4 is an ideal floor as it's close to the bar and you don't have to use the lifts to get to dinner or the beach!

Restaurants were of an average standard! we only ate in the main restaurant and the Aida restaurant on the odd occasion, there were different themed nights changed daily, food was OK but we tended to avoid meat as it was of a poor standard, although I had the steak one night and it was lovely! There was always plenty to choose from, I'm a fussy eater and it was fine for me, you'll never go hungry! Staff in the main restaurant have always got a smile on their face and very helpful, although towards the end of our stay they took a long time to take your drinks orders, to the point where we had nearly finished eating and we had no drinks! Breakfast was the same every day and I became bored of breakfast very easily (possibly because I'm fussy!)

Lobby bar was good, always several staff walking round asking to get you more drinks. Although several posters and leaflets said lobby bar was open 24 hours but we went to get a hot drink one morning at around 9:30 and was told they don't open until 10! Cocktails were nice at the bar, although strong as everyone has already said! If you don't like strong drinks just ask for little alcohol and they at happy to help.

Our cleaner was very efficient and cleaned the room to a high standard everyday, occasionally leaving quirky towel art which is nice to come back to! Mini fridge was filled with 2 bottles of water everyday, but if you ever run out you can get more from the lobby bar! Some days our towels weren't changed and we were still left with the damp ones from the day before.

The beach was lovely and always kept clean, lots of sunbeds although if you want one with a parasol and a wind break you need to get out early and reserve with your towels, everybody does it even though it says no sunbed reservation! The lagoon was a lovely feature and my partner enjoyed snorkelling here and said there were lots of lovely fish! Beware we saw lots of jellyfish in the lagoon, obviously not the hotels fault, but just be cautious. Beach bar was nice to sit I. The shade and have a drink, pizzas were always very nice at the beach bar and always made fresh and stone baked too! Staff again very friendly. Definitely get a red flag to tie to your parasol to keep the Egyptians from pestering you! Even with a red flag you still get a few that try their luck but nowhere near as many. Don't be fooled by the man coming round with glasses of juice saying "fresh" he will give you the juice then later charge it to your room!! Bit of a con when you're in an all inclusive hotel!

Pool was nice, again kept clean. Sunbeds around the pool if you wanted to sit there instead of the beach. You could get self service ice cream at the pool bar between 3-5 in the afternoon. Animation team work hard all day by the pool with different activities going on every half hour or so.

Overall the hotel was good, we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. While we were there, there was a lot of painting and plastering going on, maybe a bit of refurbing going on? Always staff cleaning the public areas too. Staff speak good English, very helpful and can't do enough for you really. Yes I would return to the hotel although there is lots more of the world to see!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 4th floor, easier to get to everything and a lovely sea view!
1  Thank Chloejeanfuller
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my family had a great time at this resort. Just out side the lagoon i swam with the turtle that made my holiday. We went on the snorkeling trip £30 each with the boats at the hotel that all so was great value and the hole family loved it. The only down side was tummy upset. We went to the pharmacy just outside the resort and they charge what they like £10 for a box of tablets. And you do get hassle round all the shops. I would go back.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank jem69
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Possibly the worst 5 Star Hotel in Egypt ... You decide

Selected this hotel for Holiday on mixed reviews from trip adviser for 1 x week relaxing holiday in June. The bits missing from the brochure:

1. Food never hot, warm at best.
2. Rooms in poor décor we were located on 5th floor that is a wind tunnel for any ocean facing views.
3. Air conditioning smelt of burning.
4. Regular stomach upsets (food in many case was inedible).
5. Resort resembled a war zone at the hotel entrance; other resort areas we found also had continuous building works with the majority of hotels remaining incomplete.
6. Random power cuts, with room access cards often require resets, this happened to us twice. This affects lifts (safer to use the stairs)
7. Hotel lobby and bar areas smelt of sick, the incense sticks tried to mask this in the lobby.
8. Hotel requires refurbishment (probably cheaper to knock down)
9. Hotel boasts 3 x dining areas. Only 2 open and you have to queue as only limited seating.
10. Not quite all Inclusive, basic items like fresh juices you need to pay for and we arrived late and you have to pay for drinks after 23:59. (Ice Cream must melt, as was never offered or saw any. Drinks are local and not that nice.
11. In my opinion hotel does not offer sufficient seating for the size of the hotel, difficult to find any area to relax in if staying in at night.
12. For the adventurous, you need to take a “bear Grills" survival course to negotiate the paths, potholes, beggars and local store holders for that genuine antique. Perhaps a first aid course negotiating the beds and worn out bed linen.
13. Plastic glasses are poorly washed (resembles sheep dipping), dining tables never complete and missing items.
14. Indigenous visitors ensure you have company.
15. Safes not offered for valuables.
16. Beach bar has limited selection of food and rarely changes its menu; Barbecue area must have been broken as never lit.
17. Beach offers a red flag that suggest if hung you won’t get hassled by the many ticket sellers (Touts); ours did the opposite it was like "bees" to honey.

There is some positives, the sun shines, and the manmade beech provides a good illusion you are ion the golden sands of Egypt unfortunately it doesn't take long for the reality to hit home 24 hours if you’re lucky. One thing that is perfect is there is a good chemist across the road for the yellow bombs.

Good Luck for those choosing this one, I won't be going again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel Hotel Faces a Building Site Poor Hygiene
7  Thank Ollisiumfields
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic place. We had an amazing experience. The staff where always welcoming, polite, curtios, attentive, funny and professional throughout our stay.
Mr Ahmed beach bar manager a super star.
Mr Hamada duty manager 'never sleeps'. Miss Gigi, Mr Ioni, part of an amazing entertainment team who had a never ending amount of energy, enthusiasm and smiles for everyone.
The gardeners, chefs, waiters, beach attendants, front office staff, where amazing every day.
Mr Hergazy who looked after our room was superb, a gentleman.
Food was super, so much choice, so nice.
All in all an amazing holiday, relaxing, chilled out, a holiday as it should be. Made by location, service, and not least tremendous STAFF who's attention to detail is second to non.
Getting to know your customers and their requirements is key.
The management team must be very proud.
5 star all the way.
Room 722 wow what a view!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bellydancer16
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Back from another great holiday. Lots of people keep going back to this hotel because it is so good . The hotel is not a large place with several pools and hundreds of guests all fighting for sun beds.
It is a small hotel compared to the other ones in hurghada there is 1 pool and a lagoon for snorkelling and beach lovers. I have stayed in 3 other hotels in hurghada where Germans and Russian can be rude to everyone and never see them again. Not at this hotel you actually get to be friends with all sorts of people this year my wife and I have made friends from Prague,Russia,Cairo,holland wales and Germany communication is a little challenging but great fun Gigi on the entertainments is great at getting people talking and helping with language translation. Sun beds are always available no need to get up in the middle of the night to try and reserve we have always got a bed where we want it thanks to the pool guys who will move them for you.
So now for the food if you are on a diet don't go fresh amazing lots of different food and if you really can't find something there is a pasta chef who will cook what you want the head chef and the sou chef are very passionate about there food well done guy's.

Some people you know the ones that stay in 5* hotels all over the world drink all day long and consider dressing up a track suite complain the hotel needs updating the hotel is clean and functional and extremely friendly the managers are regular visitors around the guests ensuring everyone is happy.

If you are looking to do a boat trip see gamel a guy near the pool we have done dolphin house with him 3 years running he can't guarantee seeing dolphins but he can great snorkelling we have done it 3 years running and swim with dolphins every time we did have a girl complain on the boat last year because she never got to kiss a dolphin you do get them.

Looking forward to next year going back again

6  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I do not normally review hotels I stay in, however I just had to write one since I have never experienced such great hospitality and helpfulness as I have experienced at this hotel. I have coeliac disease and cannot eat gluten. Very few people are aware if this condition in Egypt and in the past it has proved quite difficult to explain and for them to adhere to. This hotel has been the exception! Every day I stayed here, my dinner was freshly prepared for me, free from gluten and of my choice. They have cooked me fish, chicken, beef, prawns and all with an amazing smile every night at a time of my choice. I felt very looked after and nothing was ever too much trouble for them. The chefs Yosry and Ashrf came out every day and spoke to me, they offered to cook me anything at any time. I cannot praise the chefs enough for their amazing hospitality and I would recommend this hotel for anyone who has to follow a specific diet. Thanks so much for making my holiday stress free and healthy!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends