“Enjoyably holiday but don,t think we would go back”

Festival Shedwan Golden Beach Resort
Ranked #116 of 221 Hotels in Hurghada
Alton, United Kingdom
“Enjoyably holiday but don,t think we would go back”
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This our third trip to egypt 2nd to Hurghada.
We arrived late Friday evening and wanted to turn round go home. After a nights sleep and waking up to the sun we changed our minds.
The room was large and with a view of the gardens it was clean but shabby not to bothered as you only sleep and shower in there.
The reception and pool areas were clean, but the dinning room was over crowded and didnt have enough plates, glasses, cups and some day tables. as we were the only English in the hotel the waiters always found us a table and everthing we needed. The main holiday maker were the Russians and my god are they greedy they take far to much food then dont eat it.
The beach was the best part of our Holiday the guys that work there were wonderful they catered for our every need. All spoke good english.
the Anamaton team kept us entertained every day and in the evening too.
The only down side was when the sound system was stolen from the beach on evening. If the head of security spent more time doing his job and not sat smoking outside the hotel each evening it might not have happened.
My Husband wanted to go diving but not with a hotel trip. so we went with SCUBA HURGHADA , Sayed and Marjolein were brill my husband (who has an inner ear problem) went diving on a 1.1 with Sayed and had the time of his life, Marjolein took me snorkling and that was brill.
Overall a good hpliday came home totaly relaxed JUST DONT FORGET YOUR MOSQUITO REPELLENT
Hotel 2/3 star

6 Thank linolynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Budapest
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I could say nice words on the pleasant location of the hotel or over the acceptable cuisine and maybe on the bar attendants’ and waiters’ politeness or catering quality but the sweet words just can’t come, thinking back to my experiences with the hotel…

As fact, I spent 8 days in Hotel Shedwan, between 31.07. and 07.08. of 2011 due to a relocation request to our tour operator. I was told, that everything would be arranged with my room, but when I showed up at the reception’s desk, down by fatigue, the guy (called Magdy) not wellcomed me, but claimed fairly rudely, that he don’t know anything of my reservation and regardlessly handled my case. I can say, I started sweating and felt horrible, being faked and hit on the road in the 40 deg. heat, without any accomodation and place where I could keep even my belongings until I find a bed to lay on…
Magdy, my „host” played with me for appr. further 20 minutes and then suddenly he changed masque and revealed, that there was no problem, as he had already arranged everything with our Neckerman tour operator and handed a key to a my very poor room laughing at my face of despair…
In my room (it wasn’t really an appartment) sometimes there was no electricity, the bed was anything but an item to sleep on it with its enormus pit and the only way to get into the dark, small room is the balcony door from the inner garden walkways that was packed with tourists day and night…

Believe me I haven’t stayed there too much…

Maybe due to this I met another guest of the hotel, a fabulous 28 years old, white russian girl from Minsk, called Olga in the hotel’s beach and started building a relationship as the both of us was all alone there.
I can caim We had fairly pleasant times throughout the rest of my stay. The days spent well, and even my horrible initial room is changed upon my caims by the „lovely” magdy for a much more decent one.

Then came Friday, which was the farewell’s Eve for Olga and also my own penultimate night in Egypt. I planed to keep with her and some other Russian women to go to the downtown for a final shoping. The departure is delayed due to some girl’s being late from the meeting point which was the lounge at the receptionists’ desk. I was awaiiting for the missing person with Olga there when again „my Magdy” was at the desk. With some astonishment I realised a more and more inconvenient eye-contact between magdy and my Olga and started kidding with this. Then – for my even greater surprise Magdy, who was in a working shift (…) asked the girl for a privat chat and disappeared with her for a short while.
After that the both Olga and the missing one is arrived and we took the trip to the city to buy things.
We came back and - as it was planned earlier – I would have spent the rest of the day with the girl, who became reluctant and sais she would have something more to do with her packings
I Wasn’t very happy, anyone of You can imagine this.

I thought (as this was my penultime night also) of going out to have a drink in the nearby corner’s bar/discocaled „Memories”. I went upstairs to the dancing level where already several people was dancing or drinking.
After some minutes my „very busy packing girl”, Olga appeared hand in hand with Hotel Shedwan’s wel known receptionist Magdy !!! They didn’t notice me and started dancing and kissing, etc…
What can I say after all ??? This was more than enough for me to leave the site and take a lengthy wak in Hurghada as I felt like I couldn’t sleep at all….
A staff member of a 4 star international hotel who has already showed extraordinary impoliteness and regardlessness to a guest is spending his working hours to pick up the particular guest’s girlfriend, who is another guest of him ? Right in the main place of the hotel, which is actually his working station ?? In a front of the guest’s eyes (and other people’s eyes) with whom he was already bothering ??? All this can be committed by someone in working hours in a 4 stars hotel ???? On top of that this person is brave enough to go with his prey to the disco packed with his guests appr. 50 meters from the hotel from romance or more…?????

With similar thoughts in mind I finally wen’t to sleep and woken up in the next (my last) morning in the possible worst mood.
Anyway I thought at least there’s nothing worse can happen to me as I suffered all miseries here. And I was wrong !!!!

I wen’t down to have a breakfast int he hotel’s restaurant where the waiter colleagues of Magdy immediately spoted me (as well as his substitution at he receptionist’s desk) and started tauntingly laughing at me and whispering and talking to each other – I can’t speak Egiptian, but quiet sure upon the body talking – that about me and the last night!!!

This means that Magdy not only did in his working hours what I summarised in bold but even discussed his exploit with the staff right away !!!!

Forgive me I am not commenting this as this is not commentable.
I am just merely saying that I WILL NEVER EVER GO TO EGÍPT AND OVIOUSLY NOT RECOMMENDING THIS TO FOREIGNERS, ESSPECIALLY NOT WITH FAMILIES !!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Shittwan

Travellers are raving about these Hurghada hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We spent 2 weeks in this hotel (all inc)I agree the food has to improve sometimes, especially we like warm meals which did not happen so often, but on the other hand the rooms are very clean, the people lovely, they take care of you as if you were a king and the beach very well located: you can snorkle from the beach side and feel you are in a wonderful aquarium.
when things will settle down a little bit afeter the next elections I hope Shedwan will recover its 3 stars. We wish we could stay again in the future even if french people are quite rare in this hotel! We like melting around.

Room Tip: stay in building 7 on the 2nd or third floor you will get a view on the sea and not much noise from...
5 Thank hipomi
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Where to start??? The food was simply disgusting and monotonous, we ended up going to the marina ( which was v. nice btw ) to get a good meal on an evening. If you want to eat out, dont go to the resteraunt next door.
With respect to other nationalities, we were the only english people in the hotel, no joke. Everything was catered towards other nationalities and we are honestly not picky in the slightest. We've been all over the world in cheap all inclusives and this was easily the worst. Everything was cheap, especially the beer, which was very poor and not even on draught.
I often use this site to gauge how good or bad a hotel is and also often ignore the bad reviews because i thought they were expecting too much for their money, but you will ignore this review at your peril. It's only saving grace is the beach's or more to the point, beach A which is a great lagoon and has access to some good snorkelling. If it hadn't have been for this beach area we would have gone mad I think. The staff on the whole were poor, but then you would be if you had to deal with some of the guests that they had to deal with on a daily basis, especially during ramadan. Rooms were poor, Ants crawling everywhere, bathrooms shabby, nothing in mini bar, not even water. Bell boy very rude, as we didnt have anything less than a 100 egyptian pound note to tip him we said we'd catch up with him, but later the next day he came looking for us and gesticulating that he wanted money. I'm not a prude or even anything near it but i thought that was shocking. The bed was shockinly hard and un comfortable as well. Hurghada itself was nice and the snorkelling trip was excellent. We swam with a wild dolphin whilst snorkelling on a reef, great experience. Marina is very nice for a night out, no hasseling!!! Overall i would definatley go to Hurghada again but it most certainly will not be shedwan. Ignore the good ratings, especially if you're english, honest.

5 Thank andrew f
Den Helder Nederland
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Last May, my husband and I were on Holiday in the Shedwan Golden Beach Resort in Hurghada Egypt. We have 3 nice weeks. We know, not every thing is O.K. in the hotel, much have to change, for example the food. There was first the change of the owner, then the revolution and that all gives a lot of problems. No guests, no income, becouse many people don't come for a Holiday to Hurghada. But I can tell them, its good there, no problems in Hurghada.This hotel deserve that their "' old guests "' come back. The people from Germany, Belgium, Holland, and other countries. Not only the East European guests !!! The hotelstaff, Managers, Housekeeping, Cooks, Beachboys, everybody do their best to make it the guests as comfortable as they can. And then the beach, which hotel in Hurghada has such a nice great beach as the Shedwan, which a lot of places were you can laydown under the palmtrees, looking to the azureblue see and bleu sky ! In September my husband and I going again to the Shedwan Golden Beach Resort for our twentieth holiday!!!!
Ada and Jan from Holland

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Ada67
Landgraaf
Reviewed 29 June 2011

For more than 20 years we visit Shedwan Golden Beach every year several times and months.Like so many repeating guests we love this hotel and place and all this years we where very satisfied about the accomendation, the beach,the service and the food, it was a very good 3+ stars hotel that always had a lot off regular guests from different countries.

This time when we came back we where badly surprised when we saw that the beach on many places, special the area around the Blue Lagoon was broken down and that the Blue Lagoon restaurant," the most nicest place in the whole hotel," where many people used to met each other to have a drink or a meal" was closed.
And what about the food,yes after talking with the managment team they tried to make it better. so there where dressings by the salades,the tomato's and fruit where more ripe, yes i saw changes. But all by all the quality and variation could be better.We know and understand that after the revolution and the dramatic fall off the tourisme in Egypt it is difficult to hold the quality equal as before.But when many guests don't return because off this problems the future will even be more whorse for this, once so beloved hotel.
The whole staff from the managment to the waiters, the cleaningstaff and the people who works in the garden nothing else than praise them for their kindness, friendly, and helpfull behavior.Everybody is trying to do the best they could to comfort their guests and stay always friendly by all the comments they recieve so much. So our thanks to all off them
What our feeling is that it is not the present managment that is responsable for all the feallures in the moment, but that it is a question off money from a higher level from the Sunrise Chain.We think their first option has to be, to bring Shedwan back to the standard it has before as a very good 3+ star hotel,with good food and that offers his guests the possibility to choose halfboard, breakfast or all-inclusive and i am sure many former guests than will return.This is much better than plans to rebuilt it to an 5star hotel when even a 3 star in the moment not is feasible.Also our vision is that all the All-inclusive hotels and special those who are located in the areas as Dahar, Sekalla etc, they are destroying the local bussiness from so many Egyptians and local life, cosyness,to met locals and be friends, with the nice and friendly Egyptian people, while most off ALL-INN people stay inside. And worst off all many tourist got frightend by travelagency's and tourleaders telling them that it is dangerous to go outside. that is really pitty, because the Egyptians are the nicest and friendly people with a lot off humor, i ever met. and never we have had any problem with them all 52 times we visit Egypt . we travell so many times around in this beautifull country all by our own, from north to south and from east to west, by train bus etc, so we can say, go out and discover the beauty from the land and his people.
And on the end We will wish the managment team from Shedwan and all who works there all the best,succes to make Shedwan again a good place to stay. And thanks for all your kindness.
Tina and Assiuti

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TinaLandgraaf
Egypt
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I have travelled extensively in Egypt for five years and this is the only hotel I have been asked to pay before I stayed!

The he -man receptionist Magdy had me in tears at check in. I should have walked away then. The hotels’ Visa machine was not working, so he ordered me to go to the ATM, and barked at me because I didn’t have a pen. Payment was requested in dollars, I had sterling or local money so when I had procured the cash, it took the hotel until the second day to provide change and no receipt was offered until I requested one. Samy apologized for the way Magdy treated me.

As a solo female traveller, it is not uncommon to be treated badly by male reception staff.

In my internet booking I had asked for a sunny quiet room as I wanted to spend time relaxing in the sun reading in the privacy of my balcony. I was given a small ground floor room in Block 1 facing the festive marquee about 70m away, sideways on to the beach , with a small 1metre terrace, which turned out to be directly on the main thoroughfare which most of the beach and building staff used to go to and fro. At the end of the day they all trooped past staring into the rooms, there were no net curtains for modesty. I felt very disinclined to sit on the terrace.

The room did not in any way resemble the room on the booking website. Squalid and tired would be accurate description. All the electrical wiring and sockets were in a poor state, with only one door on the wardrobe, grubby curtains, dirty fridge. As the bell boy was showing me to my room a German asked if he could view my room, as he considered his so bad he was leaving and going to find another hotel. I have stayed in many Egyptian hotels, and have to say this room was, for what I paid, the worst value for money.

The beach is enormous, clean, sandy, plenty of chaise longues and quiet places could be found to sunbath away from the loud pounding music. Beach boy Carlos ensured my towel was laid out each day, the table was within reach, and arranged a spare mattress to shelter me from the breeze and all with a smile. On the first day I was pestered by beach sales for tattoos, diving, horse ride, camel ride, wind surfing, hair dresser, pedicure and massage. I told them in Arabic in a polite but very firm way to go away and had no further hassle. I got struck on the head by a wayward kite sail!

The hotel appeared to be undergoing substantial renovation over 50% of the site, and throughout my stay, even on Christmas day, drilling, banging and sawing went on all day. Painters and stone workers laboured around the only heated pool.
The music was so loud in the marquee on Christmas Eve that my whole room shook and the metal windows rattled, and even after this finished just after midnight, the loud disco music from a bar close to the hotel was so bad that I decided at 2am to put the air conditioning on try to block out the noise. As I operated the switch, there was a loud bang and sparks shot out of the air conditioning unit filling my room with electrical fumes. I went to call help on the telephone only to have the entire wall socket disintergrate out of the wall in my hand and the phone inoperative. I ran to reception to get help, where upon 4 staff accompanied me to my room and agreed there was a strong electrical smell and proceeded to remove the false ceiling panels to investigate. 30 minutes later the maintenance staff completed their checks, but by then the room had acquired several mosquitos, and with still quite a strong electrical smell I was told everything was OK and I should go to sleep, which was now possible as the loud bar music had stopped.

On Christmas morning, I felt sick from inhaling burnt wires all night, stressed and depressed and had several mosquito bites. I had been woken up at 8am by the housekeeping’s normal cleaning schedule of moving all the furniture off the terrace outside the rooms to mop. The beach staff paraded down to the beach talking loudly on their mobile phones. I felt like I was in a nightmare. The Christmas day food was the same as all the other days.

By lunchtime, I could not endure the smell in my room any more and told reception I wanted to change rooms. The receptionist went to get the manager, who it seems was fully familiar with the events in my room and agreed to give me a new room. The new room (in Block 2) was massive, big bed, proper fixings, lamps that worked, rug on the floor, sunny terrace, in fact it looked just like the room on the website! And it was shielded by another block from the marquee and out of earshot of the loud bar and if it wasn’t for the loud Russians partying on the terrace two rooms along until 4.30am I am sure I would have had an excellent sleep.

This all inclusive hotel has obviously had better days. The food was generally very average (the highlight: the tomato soup at Boxing Day lunch) with very little recognizable meat at any of the meals during my stay. Alcoholic spirits seemed to be watered down and were served in plastic mugs.. No bottled water is supplied. The cakes and pastries were salty. Most of the guests are Russian/Polish and I think I was the only Brit.

How could my Christmas treat leave me feeling so stressed ? I couldn’t wait to check out. It was such a relief to get back into the noise and chaos of Hurghada.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo