“You get what you pay for ...”

Hilton Hurghada Plaza
Ranked #74 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

As with most trips I make I reviewed a lot of hotels before deciding which one to opt for. The ratio of terrible & poor reviews for this hotel were very low compared to the good & excellent reviews, but despite that my brother and I still had reservations as to whether or not we were going to be disappointed.

I believe that it's necessary to take a balanced view taking into consideration the cost of the property against what it delivers. My brother and I had a room each and the overall cost per person was something like £40 per night all-inclusive (excluding flights). In fact, the flights cost more than the hotel (not unusual for this destination!). It should also be borne in mind that 5-star ratings around the world are highly inconsistent, and if anyone has expectations of a hotel in this area that holds 5 stars being comparable to a 5-star hotel in a major European or US city they are always going to be disappointed.

In terms of value for money this hotel is great and my overall rating of four 'stars' reflects that.

The bedrooms are great. Admittedly they're a little dated but all rooms in the main hotel have a sea view and balcony (albeit a little narrow). Our rooms were a good size, the beds were comfortable with a mattress 'topper' built into the mattress protector. The pillows were a little too hard for my liking but you can't have everything. Large, wide-screen TV - I only found three channels in English (including BBC World News) plus Fox Movies and Fox TV. The movies tended to rotate regularly and Fox TV showed mostly Australian cookery challenge shows (My Kitchen Rules and Masterchef). Plenty of storage space. Kettle provided with sachets of tea, coffee, sugar and dried milk. The bathrooms were absolutely fine - again, somewhat dated, but certainly fit for purpose with good pressure from the shower (over the bath). No iron or ironing board provided, but ask reception and they'll happily get one sent to the room.

Food at the restaurant buffet was plentiful. At breakfast there's an egg station where omelettes are made to order (with a variety of fillings), along with fried eggs. A range of hot dishes available (including baked beans and scrambled eggs), a large variety of bread and rolls (hit & miss as to quality), a large range of pastries and, surprisingly, the croissants were quite acceptable (especially as I've found a lot of hotels tend to have particularly dry, rubbery croissants). Cereals, cheese and cold meats, etc. The juices were generally more like 'squash' (very watery) although the Guava juice was very good. Coffee was pretty dire.

Lunch and dinner provided a good range of cold dishes (salads etc), always a couple of soups to choose from plus a variety of hot food from the main buffet section. A grill section served different foods cooked fresh every day, e.g. kebabs, fish, chicken, etc. There's also a pasta station every day. A formidable range of desserts on offer every day, although I found quite a lot of them looked amazing but were somewhat tasteless. There was also a good range of very sweet pastry desserts which should satisfy anyone with a sweet tooth!

We ate one night at the a la carte restaurant that has something of an identity crisis - with a name more evocative of Asia than Egypt (Jasmin), an Egyptian themed interior and an Italian themed food offering. It's represented as a la carte, but I believe it's more table d'hote as the only choice we had was fish or chicken. Whether this was because we were utilising our free night in the restaurant wasn't clear.

The grounds of the hotel are very attractive. Access to the good-sized private beach requires a walk through landscaped gardens. There's some work going on at the moment building a new pathway near the beach, but it wasn't really that disruptive or intrusive. The bar and 'café' at the beach are pretty poor - we didn't eat at the café but the food looked quite dismal.

The main pool is a reasonable size, water temperature quite acceptable. The pool bar is somewhat basic and, needless to say, drinks are served in small plastic cups. A good supply of loungers with mattresses on them, plus a good supply of sun shades. It wasn't particularly busy when we were there and there was never any problem finding a sun bed at any time of day - whether this would be an issue if the hotel were full is debatable.

The staff are generally excellent - friendly and helpful.

Internet is expensive - something like £45 for 5 days and £55 for a week. I believe one day was around £10. The connection is a little erratic but generally acceptable, although certainly not fast enough to stream live TV (e.g. BBC catch up).

The hotel provides a free shuttle into New Hurghada at 6.00pm each day (returning at 8.00pm). Be warned that the driver drops you outside a shop in a side street where you are, of course, energetically invited to visit the shop (pretty standard for some countries!!). New Hurghada is not a pretty place to visit and unless you like soaking in the atmosphere and being pestered by street and shop vendors, it's probably something to miss out on!

All-in-all the hotel was not a disappointment based on its cost. I reviewed a Hilton in Sharm el Sheikh a few years back and by comparison this hotel is far superior.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KerryKC
MehdiOthmani, General Manager at Hilton Hurghada Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear KezzaKKC ,

It is our real pleasure and gratitude to receive positive comments from a very important guest like yourself, I am happy that we managed to make your recent holiday as enjoyable as ever.

It is a pleasure to see that in general you were happy with the services you received during your stay with us.

For your kind information, your comments are of a great importance to us, only through your comments, we aim to improve the level of services that our guests’ receive, and in today’s world this is essential.

We are looking forward to seeing and welcoming you back again to your second home Hilton Hurghada Plaza .

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This staff at this hotel are outstanding. Very special mention of Adel, senior pool supervisor.
Charming and attentive.
Food and rooms are good. Undergoing construction. should be even better.
I would highly recommend this hotel

1  Thank gracehortense
MehdiOthmani, General Manager at Hilton Hurghada Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear gracehortense ,

It is our real pleasure and gratitude to receive positive comments from a very important guest like yourself, I am so happy and proud that we succeeded to meet your expectations and we managed to make your recent holiday as enjoyable as ever.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Good holiday if you want to spend time by the pool or the beach in the sun. Food excellent, rooms and bathrooms ok, perhaps a little faded round the edges. Evening entertainment not to European standards and all takes place in a conference room. Night club loud! Hotel is isolated and you need a taxi to get anywhere. Friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AlisonS32

Dear AlisonS32 ,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Ok so some of the review talk about works ongoing and the hotel needing upgrading. Well forget that. This place is paradise and which part if paradise doesnt need pruning from time to time.

We loved this hotel, it's large and has massive green spaces which just complement the view of the Red Sea which is breathtaking at any time of day.

I was worried about the floor reading other reviews and to be honest I was quite surprised at the variety. I like flavoursome food so if that's for you then this is the place to go. As the food I the buffet pleased us, my partner and I were happy to stay here rather than to go to the restaurant.

Entertainment is fun and for all ages and the host momo really is a gem. He made me laugh each and every time I bumped into him at the hotel.

Beach is small but nice and lunch snacks are served there which mean you don't have to go back to the hotel for lunch.

My room cleaner did a fab job tidying our room.

Yes the hotel is a little dated but it is nothing to shout home about and this certainly won't ruin your stay there.

The staff are all very friendly and make a conscious effort to ensure you enjoy your stay. I never at any point felt under any pressure to give any tips!

My partner and I used the gym and spa facilities, sauna and steam room which were nice. Set in a nice calming environment with calming music. An alternative to spending then whole day at the beach.

We did a few trips snorkelling and quad biking which we're great too but could have easily just relaxed at the hotel.

This is a really comfortable clean hotel, with good food and friendly staff and I'd definitely go back.

Thanks again guys, you made our stay a wonderful experience.

J and sherie

Room Tip: 317 close to lobby and dining great views
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Shez1979 ,

Reviewed 1 March 2014

hilton plaza is a very average hotel,nothing special to offer.i wouldnt recommend it to a friend and i will not came again.needs renovation a soon as possible everywhere.with the same price you can find much better hotels in hurghada.the only think that i liked was the buffet and especially the desserts.it was my 3rd time in hurgada btw.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
MehdiOthmani, General Manager at Hilton Hurghada Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear georgiosdimitriadis,

I would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for the time you spend to write your valuable comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Hurghada Plaza and the efforts you took to share your views with us.

For your kind information, your comments are of a great importance to us, only through it, we can aim to improve the level of services that our guests receive, and in today’s world this is essential.

We are sorry that the hotel experience was not up to your satisfaction. Therefore, I have discussed all your respective comments / ratings into details with our management team, who I can assure you, has taken the necessary measures to ensure that those comments are rectified. It is always our intention to create the best possible environment for our guests’ satisfaction whilst on vacation.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you once again at Hilton Hurghada Plaza in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Good, observant staff that aims to please. Some of the staff showed a remarkable eye for details and had good memory.

A large portion of the hotel needs renovation, but it is reflected in the price, so I mean it is still good value for the money spent, and the beds were good.

The only "Cleanliness" problem I can mention is that the hotel has many door handels that you have to pull/touch. Bacterias easily spread that way, and your immune system is only effective against wellknown "homely" bacterias. Needless, to say, I got a little sick, even though I practice good hygiene.

Training facilities were medium, but sufficient if you only do benchpress or walk the treadmill like a hamster. Must be unbearingly hot in the summer. Not enough room for crossfit or free weight excercising. Tennis and squash facilities were good. I'd recommend everyone to take tennis classes, affordable prices and a good teacher.

Every night, after dinner, there is a 1-2 hours entertainment show that is varying from simple to exotic, and fun for all ages. Encouraging and smiling entertainers make the most out of it. I recommended it, even just for the social happening.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Christopher L ,

It is our real pleasure and gratitude to receive your kind comments from a very important guest like yourself, I am glad that in general you had a relaxing holiday at our property and you were satisfied with staff services rendered , aslo enjoyed the hotel facilities and entertainment show every evening.
I have taken a note of your comments which have been passed to all concerned department for direct rectification, as your comments are of a great importance to us, only through your comments, we aim to improve the level of services that our guests’ receive, and in today’s world this is essential.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back in the very near future , when no efforts will be spared to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as would wish.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

It was a wonderful holiday with friends. We enjoyed every day spent in Hilton Hurghada Plaza.
Rooms are very comfortable, I miss now the moments when opening my eyes in the morning, first thing I saw is a great view of the blue sea.
Weather in late February was perfect, it was only 2 windy days from 10 that we stayed, we bathed in the sea and the pool, sunbathing on the comfortable loungers.
The food was delicious, a large assortment of dishes every day.
Hotel staff all are very cheerful and funny. I want to say a special thanks for the pleasant memories to our animators : Momo, Dasha, Fathi and Vicka. Even though that every time I like to visit new places, thanks to them, I want to return to Hilton Hurghada Plaza again someday.

2  Thank Va1entyna_K
MehdiOthmani, General Manager at Hilton Hurghada Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Va1entyna_K ,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for the time you spared to write your positive feedback about your experience on trip advisor. I am glad to read that in general you enjoyed your holiday at our property and you were satisfied with the staff service rendered , food quality and variety and you liked your room location and view . My pleasure to share your kind comments with my colleagues specially the animation team, as your stay's comments and feedback are of great importance to us.

We are looking forward to welcome you again at your second home, when no efforts will be spared to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as would wish.

Sincerely ,