“Perfect!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hurghada
Safir Hotel Hurghada
Ranked #169 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Ljubljana
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 30 October 2009

I travelled to Hurgada with my boyfriend for some late summer vacations in october and it was the best experience we could imagine. The weather was purfect and the sea was still warm.

The stay in Safir was everything we expected and needed and even more!
It has the best location - near old town Sakalla and 10 min by taxy to the new center (just say Litlle Buda if you want to go there). But it is still enouhg far away, that it is quite and peacefull. (Don't pay more that 10 egyptian pounds for a taxy, anywhere you go).

The hotel was very very clean. The rooms were cleaned every day and the towels and sheets were also changed daily. Also the beach and the swimming pool were daily cleaned. (You don't need your own towels for the beach). The room had air-condition and a satelite tv, the bed was huge.

The staff was very nice and polite. All of them - the receptionist also gave advices where to go out, how much shoul the waterpipe cost etc. Also the waiters were nice, the cleaners, even the doormen :) (We tipped the receptionist with 2 EUR and he gave us the room with a terrace, near the beach).

The food was great, they had enough to offer for everyone. For breakfast was everything you needed: 20 differt types of bakery, corn flakes, yoghurt, jam, pancakes, fresh fuit, eggs and delicious omlets, salads, deserts etc.
For dinner was even more: 2 types of soups, 10 types of salads, every day a fish meal, vegetarian and ofcuorse meat and pastas, rice, potaoes.... And 10 types of delicious deserts, also fresh friut.

The beach and the swimming pool are private, only for hotel guests. The water is celas, the beach is sandy and they have umbrellas and comfortable deckchairs (you don't have to pay extra).

No complains about the hotel! Very beautiful!

I also highly recomed the trip to safari with motocross or jeap. They offer the trip in hotel. We took the motocross and that day was a really great day. It is very cheap for what they offer- we were driving into the desert for an hour and there we visited the Beduin villiage. The cooked us a tea, we rode a camel, saw the sunset and the got the insight of the life in villiage, got a dinner, have a animation program in the evening, smoke a waterpipe and drove back at night. It was really intresting. Don't be affraid of the man offering this trip - he can be pushy, but he is honest, you will get, what you pay for. But wear sunglasses and sometning to cover your head, mounth and ears.

I didn't go snorkling, but people who went, were also very satisfied.

I also went to a trip to Luxom and it was also worth to see!

Some futher advices: if you want to go shopping for souvenirs, you will soon find out that this can be quite a challange :) If you are exausted from bargganing, go to the new center (near Litlle Buba is a Hurghada stars and also some other shops) - they have prices on the products and it still very cheap. Quite interesting is also to visit the old Bazar in Dahar, the oldest part of Hurgada (cca. 20 min by taxy).

If you want to go out: during the weends is lively in the New Marine (near Sakalla) - the are two discoteques Hadkandi and The minister of sound - the etrance fee is around 100 egyptian pounds. In the new center is Hard Rock caffe (I had a great time there, during the week is for free) and also some other places, but I didn't go there... It is safe to walk there at night, no worries, espacially the new center. Once we went to Sakalla at night and there we no turists :) I didn't feel so good there... :)

I hope my review will help you. The Safir hotel is realy good hotel, no worries! Also non of us hadn't got problems with stomach...

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Momizika

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Arabic first
UK
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Time to expose the reality of this poor hotel... Lets start with the positives: Good view from the room, sunbeds by the pool/beach very comfortable and waiters in the canteen were very friendly and the pool boys were polite.

Now the negatives:

1. Entertainment - The websites advertising the hotel showed there were 6 options for entertainment: Shades of Blue, Le Kesk, Rendezvouz, Quick Sands, Jimmys and The Terrace. In reality there were TWO places which were only restaurants: Shades of Blue which served buffet breakfast and dinner and the Quick Sands pool bar. The hotel was dead and there was no atmosphere. Rendezvous (allegedly a bar with entertainment) was CLOSED. Le Kesk (Egyptian fine dining) was CLOSED. Jimmys (Pub and Karaoke club) was CLOSED. In the evening there was therefore NOTHING to do there apart from eat in the one buffet restaurant the hotel had so there wasn't even an a la carte option anywhere in the hotel but just a buffet service. This is unacceptable as we booked the hotel purely for the number of entertainment options and there were NONE. Instead, the hotel was dead and looked very lifeless and tired. Boring.

2. Building work - Although there wasn't any noise, the front of the hotel was like a building site. When the taxi dropped us off on arrival, we had to negotiate past a pile of stones, dust and rubble in order to actually enter the hotel. This didn't create a good first impression. Lazy.

3. Staff - The problem here is that all the staff are very good friends. They are like a family and they gang up on the hotel guests if they have an issue. For example, all the receptionists were very unhelpful. A letter that the rep dropped off for us was never given to us by the reception so it meant we missed the first meeting and were totally unaware we had a rep till day 3. Receptionists said they didn't know what happened and were very aggressive towards us saying things like they put the letter under the door and we lost it. Two particularly rude ones were Sameh and the guy who works at reception during the day (after 10am). Another example is that there was a football match showing in the bar (Ghana v Brazil) and they were ALL in there watching it so there was nobody at reception. Waited there for 5 mins and rang the bell. A receptionist came out and made me feel very bad that I needed something. Not very professional at all. The other issue was that the staff (all male) were really perverted and followed girls that they fancied around. There was a couple with their young daughter from the UK and the way the staff were behaving towards her was disgusting, especially the Chef in the poolside kitchen. The problem is with the management of the hotel. The hotel is badly managed and there is no focus on customer service. Lazy.

4. Food - The biggest concern was the food that was being prepared in the kitchen by the swimming pool at the Quick Sands bar. On a hot day I sat behind the open kitchen and watched the Chef prepare food for an hour. What I saw after really shocked me. There was ONE chopping board being used for everything (raw meat, veg, raw chicken etc.) - this chopping board was never cleaned or wiped down. After preparing RAW chicken, the chef then prepared a cold tuna sandwich for someone which he prepared on the same chopping board. This is just wrong. I appreciate we are in Egypt but that was just breaking the most basic food hygiene rule that any Chef in any 4 star hotel around the world would follow. Also, this chef never once washed his hands (there was no soap anyway for him to do this) and was wiping things down with this one very very filthy cloth. There was no spray of any kind to clean surfaces - Just his sweat. I know that all hotels offer a buffet service but this was really really poor. Breakfast was ok although there was limited choice of hot food. There was only the eggs option and also an Egyptian dish made of beans called "Foul" which didn't appeal. Dinner was the same every night: Beef dish, rice, fish dish, pasta, a pot of vegetables. I appreciate this isn't gourmet cooking but the standard is NOT of a 4 star hotel at all. The pizza was however very good.

5. The room - the room on the whole was cleaned very well. The water coming out of the shower and tap was luke warm. When I asked the reception, I was told that there water doesn't get very hot but when visiting other hotels/restaurants, hot water did come out of the tap! There was no deposit box in the room which meant that valuables had to be kept in the one box at reception. Any 4 star hotel worldwide has a safety deposit box in each room but not in this case. Unacceptable.

6. Loo roll/communal loos - There seems to be an issue with loo roll at this hotel! Only ONE roll was put in our bathroom (for 2 people) and wasn't changed every day so when we ran out, there was no loo roll left. I would expect most 3 star hotels to put a spare loo roll in guest en suite bathrooms. The communal loos around the hotel(pool level, reception level and canteen level) were dirty and smelly and guess what.... they didn't have any loo roll !! When I mentioned this to someone at reception, the very rude receptionist (Sameh) told me to go and tell someone in the bar to sort it. I told him politely that he should do this. In the end, nothing was done about it and whenever I had to go into these communal loos, I took tissues in with me.

7. Smelly towels - The towels given out at the beach/pool were very smelly. They smelt of damp and smelt dirty so this leads me to conclude that they were not washed overnight but were simply dried out, folded and then handed out to people the following day. Vile.

8. The Billiards room - There was one room which housed 2 pool tables. On going into the room, there was an awful awful smell. Damp combined with something that died. I didn't see one single person go into this room during the 10 days there. Awful.

9. The "health and fitness" bloke - there was some greasy bloke walking round the hotel trying to sell massages. What really annoys me is that he disturbs people who are sleeping in order to ask them stupid inane questions about how they are and then to sell. If someone is sleeping, I don't feel they should be woken up in order to have something sold to them.

10. Room Service - this was very slow (30 mins to send some hot water to the room) and the people taking orders on the phone didnt understand what we were saying. We were reduced to googling words online on mobile phones and then saying them down the phone to the people taking orders!

11. Internet - This was overpriced (40 LE) per half an hour and the internet was VERY slow.

12. Daytime activities - The Safir website boasts "On the beach and pool area, recreation continues throughout the day to include beach volleyball, aerobics and crab racing competitions." - In reality, there was nothing going on around the pool or the beach. The staff just couldn't be bothered.

13. Hotel Egyptian party on Friday night - The staff kept pushing this "real Egyptian night" on the beach on Friday evening. This was priced at 120 LE which is very expensive for dinner on the beach. In reality, the food from the canteen was shifted downstairs and people were made to pay for the pleasure of eating on the beach. How ridiculous. The entertainment then consisted of one of the cleaners dressed up as a belly dancer. What a rip off.

All the above brings together the final point which is that THIS HOTEL IS NOT A 4 STAR hotel and is being missold to people from the UK as a 4 star hotel. This is barely a 3 star hotel. My recommendation is that this hotel should NOT be offered on the website as it doesn't meet the standards required from a 4 star hotel. I appreciate that this may be a "4 star Egyptian hotel" but in reality, it is even regarded as a poor hotel by the many locals that we spoke to (Taxi drivers, people working in other hotels). The staff at the hotel were lazy and didn't really care or bother with making peoples holidays enjoyable. They were there to just get through the day. They didn't care or have any pride in their hotel.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Hurghada hotels

London
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Dear All
for the view,swimming pool was amazimg actually when i saw the pictures on net i decided to book but pictures are not the same like reality so here is the reality:

i am writing this cause it is your right to know Egypt is much better than that i had been all around but i never seen such a baaaad hotel and staff and Food
Well lets start with the first Day where we informed the hotel that we will check in after dinner time so make a set menue to be delivered in our rooms guess what was served AS A DINNER 2 cheese sandwiches with a cake with the worest bad quality ever however dinner dont include this [--] and it was supposed to be same items from the open dinner
Next day i had to wake up since 7am cause the cleaning people was just bangind all doors and loud voices and hell of noises i could not believe how rude they were

we went to the breakfast which is something perfect it is a hell of 3 things to choose from Eggs bad cheese and egyptian beans so where is the rest !!!!!!! however even this was so baaaaaaad in taste my stomach was really hurting!!!!!

Well go to the dinner which is one kind of pasta and rice and bief and rotten fish oh to be honest there were good mashed potato and the beef was mmm less than average but OK

well the beach was not bad too and drinks was fair they just need to clean the glass and dishes!!! ohh and never try to have cubed ice it smelled like [--]

The room standard i would rate for 2 star hotel plus no maintenance so you can imagin how bad is the holes in the walls specially the bathroom

Finally we go for the management i believe they manage this hotel with a bunch of crappp and rude this is the most suitable word as no privacy people are following you and staring where ever you go and i felt even they were listning to us from behind the door which made me feelt hurrassed soooooooo much
I talked to management and i was about to call police but then they kept saying sorry and i was staying for 3 days so i just left the hotel and went to another place

After all what i said if you want to try just take this advice Never leave expensive things in your room and ask for cleaning when you are not there
Oh forgot to mention that the recieptionest keept calling on my room in funny egyptian words then when i phoned back he said sorry i thought you need something

Well i am working in Egypt since a year now and i have been to amazing places but not this Safir was the worest place ever to be in within any country everrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank halfegyptian77
UK
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Rooms clean and housekeeping daily very good. Pool nice but beach area v small. Walk to shops in about 15 minutes but mostly tourist tat! Food OK but not memorable, best to go B&B and eat at Felfela just up the road and expolre other places for dinner as not expensive to eat out. Service levels varied a lot within the hotel. Snorkelling excursion was good except for the damage being done to the reefs by idiots. For the price (room and half board 14 nights £230) I can recommend it but there is not a huge amount to do or see locally if you do not dive.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
india
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Though we went through a travel agent from Egypt, we had also checked on the web site about this hotel we had booked and were more than happy at what we saw.
Wait a minute...one untoward incident I need to mention...we had asked for 'sea facing' rooms but we were shown the 'new wing' that was acroos the road of the main hotel. That was just not on.
Our idea was to chill out by the beach and do our own bit of snorkelling. Anyway after a few disgruntled words exchanged we were given the rooms we had asked for and boy! was it not a perfect holiday.
The breakfast that was part of the package is elaborate by all Egypt standards
The pool is right in front of the room and very inviting.
The best part was that we were bang on the beach. With deck chairs and umbrellas and a cocktail bar near by it was an idyllic place to just chill.
The food is appetizing and the hotel provides a lot of photo ops to make your stay all the more memorable!
The location is away from the noise of it all - just the way a perfect holiday should be, unless you are a regular over enthusiatic first time tourist wanting to be in the thick of it all... then Safir is not your choice...try sunrise or golden gates and have a big commercial hotel feel..which is not for me!
I would recommend Safir anyday...it is also value for money.

Stayed May 2008
Sk
Reviewed 13 August 2009

If you want a real holiday this hotel is the right place. It stands alone between old and new part of Hurgada, very quiet, even the swimming pool is closed after 7 p.m. There is not much to be done in the hotel after the dinner. But this shouldn't be a problem because discotheques and cafe bars are only 5 min by taxi or 20 min by walk (good price for taxi ride to discotheques is less than 2 euros).
Staff is very friendly and polite, don't hesitate to ask for any kind of advice- prices, places, quality products... Most of the rooms are towards the sea, and are very clean.
Only disadvantage to us was that the hotel does not offer all inclusive stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I stayed in this hotel with my sister and two friends and absolutely loved it. The hotel staff were nice and friendly, the hotel itself was very quickly and often cleaned by the house keepers (tip them if you can!) We had half-board so we ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel. The food choice varied quite a lot and there were nice staff staff working in the restaurant, very friendly. The hotel swimming pool was nice and clean and as we had a double room with sea view, the scene was spectacular!

The only downside of the hotel is that it was situated in an isolated area, about 10-15min from downtown. I would've loved to have walked downtown but unfortuntely it would've been quite a journey by foot. There is a lot of building works around the hotel but getting around hurghada is very easy. Another downside would be not seeing enough Brits at the hotel. Mainly Russian and Germans. I would've been nice to see a nice variety of people around the world staying at the hotel but hey, that's not the hotel's fault!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends