“Best Holiday Ever!!”

SUNRISE Garden Beach Resort -Select-
Ranked #77 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Have just come back from this resort and I can truly say that it was the best holiday we have ever had. The hotel was clean and the rooms are huge. I would recommend you ask for room 7219 as it over looks the main swimming pool and it is close to the main buffet restaurant and where all the shops are. The hotels staff our very friendly and when they find out your English they can’t do more for you. They even some times give you the imported alcohol if they have any in stock, if not then they give you double or triple measures in your drinks.

I would recommend tipping some of the chefs as they will jump you to the front of the queue like at the omelette station or down at the beach bar.

Yes the food is more geared up for the Russians and Germans but I always found food to eat and I am a very fussy eater.

We ate 3 times at the Italian restaurant as the pizzas are fantastic, the Asian was ok but decided not to eat there again. The Mexican restaurant was brilliant we left the restaurant stuffed.

We found for the first week we had no problem finding a sun bed around any pool but by the second week and we guess the schools in Russia had broken up as we had to get up at 8 every morning just to get a sun bed around the pool or you had to sit on the beach. The beach is brilliant a lot cooler to sit by then around the pool.

We stayed here for two weeks and like other reviews we recommend that you go out and see Egypt. We went on two trips one was the shop and rock where you go out to down town Hurghada and then to Hard Rock Café. I would not really commend this as the choice of food you get at the Hard Rock Café is poor it is either soup or salad to start and then Beef Burger or chicken burger for main course and then ice cream or fruit salad for dessert. When we looked at the main menu we could have had a good meal for what we paid for the trip.

Defiantly do the two-day trip to Luxor as we had the best time ever! Even though it is a 5:20am pick up and a rough drop off time of 7:30pm the next day. We made some nice friends on the trip. If you have extra time do the one day Cairo trip by air as I heard it is fantastic up there.

We loved the hotel and holiday so much we are already planning to go back next September and we will be doing the one-day Cairo trip by Air.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tombond
Write a ReviewReviews (3,643)

Reviewed 24 June 2009

Well as promised here are a few pointers in respect to the Sunrise Garden Beach Hotel and Thomas cook my tour operator for this holiday

The Hotel

The hotel is and has been pointed out in many earlier posts excellent. The staff cannot help enough and are there if you need them 24-7. The rooms are in a state of good repair and our room was cleaned and serviced every day and to an excellent standard (I tipped the cleaner at the beginning and on the last day). There is a hairdryer in the bathroom but I would recommend you take your own. The TV channels are mixed and cover Russian, German, English in that order however the MBC channels are movie channels and show a few channels in English. There is WIFI in the hotel and you can buy access cards from the reception and cost about 75 LE for 30 minutes

The air conditioning works well and kept the room nice at a night time when it was still well above 30 deg outside.

Don’t take lots of towels in you cases as you get towels each day via your towel cards. The swimming pools are very good and I did not see any of the Germans sneaking around at 5am in the morning to grab a bed unlike in some hotels. The beach is ok and again I did not have any problem finding a sun bed.

The mini fridge in your room is refilled with bottled water each day and more supplies are available at any of the bars for free. (They highly recommend you don’t drink the local water) soft drinks in the mini fridge are only replaced the first time for free.

There is no kettle in the room so if like me you like a coffee first thing when you get up then take a travel kettle and some brew kit.

There are no irons so again take a travel iron.

Other posts have pointed out checking in times as being slow well ours took just 20 minutes. They take your bags to the room and pick them up at the end. We asked for and were allowed a late checkout which also made life much easier when the time came to leave.

There is lots of security around and in the hotel which in these troubled times is good to see.

The door cards worked well for me and I did not need to have them reprogrammed during my stay unlike a previous poster.

There is an electronic safe in each room and it’s free unlike at some hotels.

Food is primarily intended for our Russian friends and I would suggest you make use of the other restaurants within the hotel complex, The Italian is good.

I don’t smoke but my wife does and she was able to buy 200 cigarettes in the hotel shop for about 70LE which works out at about £7.00.

So overall I found the Hotel itself and its staff are fantastic and you will not be disappointed.

The Tours

I booked my tours through both the Thomas cook tour rep Dan and via Mohammad Chawki from relax tours.

The tour I booked with Dan was to Mahmya (£50.00 per person) home to the one of the most amazing beaches in the Hurghada region. "Mahmya" in Arabic means "protected area” and the island is truly an oasis of peace, where human settlements are strictly forbidden Note that they DO supply snorkelling kit on the island for free which is part of the trip you do NOT have to buy any from the tour guide if you don’t want to.

The tour I booked with Mohammad Chawki was the Luxor Tour from Hurghada by Coach (cost £60.00 a person) which included tour to Karnak temples, The City of The Dead the Colossi of Memnon, the temple of Amenophis III, Valley of the Kings, Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, The guide did his job very well and the tour was well above my expectations. Take lots of water with you. You will need to tip a lot on this trip when you stop for toilets.

Now to a few bad points which let the holiday down for me at times.

It has been pointed out that we the English are a minority in this hotel and it is all too obvious to see. You are and will be outnumbered 10 to 1 by our Russian friends who will not be any trouble unless you get in there way in any way if there is food and in particular Melon about. They are the most gluttonous people I have ever met in my whole life and just shocked me as to the way they treat the staff and others at eating time. I soon found that it was better to eat at one of the other restaurants in the hotel grounds than to have to sit and watch them guarding there plates of melon as if there very existence depended on it. Queuing is a strange and alien experience for them and they just DON’T do it, they will just walk in front of you anytime they see fit. You may feel I am out of order here but just sit there and watch them it’s a site to behold trust me.

Thomas Cook

I have used Thomas cook for years and they have been excellent and to be honest everything about this holiday was excellent apart from the seats on the plane. I have now made a decision not to use them again for my holidays until there sort out there seating. The seat pitch is 28” and you are made to feel as if you’re in a cattle truck. Ok so you can pay more for extra leg room but at £30 per flight per person why should I have to. Anyone using Thomas cook need to be filling in the questioner they give you and point out the seat pitch is too small.

And finely

Many thanks to those I met on the trips including a member of this forum (hope you got home ok) and the two lovely couples on the Mahmya trips who made the whole trip that much better.

You will love this hotel, the locals and the tours, don’t just sit in the hotel get out, see what’s around, and meet the locals you will find what a fantastic country and people you are visiting.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Optiplex
Reviewed 4 June 2009

While on Holiday with Thomas Cook at the Sunrise Garden Beach we bought snorkel, mask and fins from our Rep Dan. This was great as it saved paying expensive prices in the shops and being ripped off. Dan was great we ordered the items at our meeting in the morning and he brought the equipment to us later on in the evening.
The euipment was good quality we paid 160le for all of it and was well worth it. We had a great time using the equipment on the Thomas Cook snorkel trip. The fish you see was just fantastic and I would tell everybody to give it a go.

Dan said they sell the snorkel equipment in most hotels so ask your Thomas cook rep to buy a set. They had different offers and also reef shoes. Great idea and the snorkeling was one og the highlights from of my hoilday

2  Thank longjohnLondon
Reviewed 29 May 2009

my girlfriend and me have just got back from a 2 week holiday the hotel was fantastic the staff fantastic the food drink etc all fantastic i have to say highly recommend egypt as a holiday destination the people are so friendly the history of the country we went on some tours organised by the hotel what can i say breathtaking would definetly will be going back highly recommend

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank essexcoupleEssex
Reviewed 14 May 2009

we got a very good price and thought the place was perfect for that price. it is right on the water- not the nicest beach but i am not sure the beaches in Hurghada are very nice. The water is gorgeous. Food was very good for all inclusive- service was mostly very good. Alcohol- free flowing and the all inclusive included foreign alcohol. There were enough chairs at the pool, free towels, etc. You could walk down the street to all sorts of stores if you got bored in the hotel complex. Nice garden area. There was a nice choice of places to eat. And the other guests were totally mixed- young/old, various nationalities...

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MIchkoM
Reviewed 10 May 2009

The majority of the reviews contributed for this hotel are slightly misleading and appear to have been written by unusually optimistic and polite individuals. I personally believe that it is important to see all angles and opinions before making your final holiday decision which to me is a very important decision indeed and one which I would have liked to have made with a little more information.

Firstly the hotel is 'nice'. It’s not great. The rooms are clean and the staff are friendly enough but it's not without faults.

Life in Egypt is a lot slower than at home. It took 2 hours to check in to our room and on occasions the staff did not reach us in time to serve us a drink with our meal. We weren't surprised on our last day when our food order was forgotten altogether. Any faults reported are dealt with in their own time. Be prepared to wait A LOT. Even getting a drink at the bar was often a bit of a challenge!.

The food was yucky! Egypt isn't renowned for great food but we were still surprised. There is a pizza bar and an Italian restaurant which serves pizza. You can’t go wrong with pizza. We ate it every day. Probably best to starve yourself of pizza in the months leading up to the holiday. The Oriental restaurant is Egyptian and Lebanese cuisine - a bit strange but the starter is nice. It’s worth going for that and then for a pizza afterwards. Avoid the restaurants in the neighbouring hotel. They use far too much salt. The Mexican was not the traditional Mexican food we know and love so if you do go don't build your hopes up too much.

We found that the constant interruptions from the hotel staff a little annoying when we were sunbathing beside the pool and on the beach. There is a spa and an aqua centre at this hotel and men incessantly trying to sell treatments and trips. We received approximately 7-8 visits per day. These guys are persistent. They don’t like to hear 'no' - another unfortunate characteristic of many of locals in Hurghada.

Stay away from the Aqua centre by the way. We stupidly took a trip with them rather than following our reps advice and going through Thomas Cook. Imagine your worst nightmare……2 hours of waiting, a complete lack of organisation, a dilapidated old boat surrounded constantly by swarms of flies, a ratio of Brits to Russians 1:10 (this applies throughout the hotel) an absolute disregard for health and safety - we were made to walk the plank covered in poking out nails on an extremely windy day in order to disembark. This was a truly life changing and threatening experience. The upsides being the guide who did everything he could to make the trip pleasant for everyone on board and the amazing fish and corals the Red Sea has to offer. Don’t be taken in by the men that sell you the trip. They do a great job of making it all sound super.

We experienced a number of problems with our room door. Some days our key didn’t work, others the door did not lock behind us. On our last day we were locked out when we had 40 mins before being picked up. Make sure you get your check out time extended at reception if required. Also in our room neither the sink nor the bath had working plugs.

Our rep was very helpful but it would have been nice to have received the same service from the hotel itself. It would have saved us a lot of time and made our holiday far more relaxing and enjoyable.

Watch out for flies, rude Russians, beggars and stomach upsets. Otherwise this was a ‘nice’ holiday.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KatieLeighW
Reviewed 3 May 2009

Love this hotel the staff are so friendly and cant do enough for you great pools great beach your love it....

We went with thomas cook and our rep was sarah and she was fantastic so friendly full of great advise and if you had a problem she would sort it.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple