“Superb - The perfect honeymoon” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palm Royale Soma Bay

Palm Royale Soma Bay
Ranked #11 of 229 Hotels in Hurghada
Watford, United Kingdom
“Superb - The perfect honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife and I visited for a week (8/11 > 15/11) staying in a beachfront room (2106), that was booked through Thomas Cook. The hotel itself is very grand, with an impressive atrium as the reception, a large pool area,very pretty gardens, a long sandy beach and a number of a la carte restaurants.
Our beach front room was very clean and well maintained throughout the week and was literally as close to the beach as possible - it was nice that it was first floor too, as we had lovely views out over Soma Bay.
We ate twice in the buffet restaurant (once for dinner and once for lunch) opting to eat dinner at the a la carte restaurants on the remaining evenings and at the Azura bar for lunch. I can honestly say we didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were at the hotel - the service was always impeccable and the food was superb. We enjoyed the Greek and Lebanese resataurants most of all - and were impressed to see flat bread being made in a small oven outside of the latter.
We also had the option of eating in the VIP Breakfast room (La Terrace) every morning which was very impressive - a beautifully decorated room with a balcony over-looking the pool area. As with all of the restaurants, it was nice to be remembered on repeat trips (down to tables we prefered and drinks we'd previously ordered etc.)
We spent the majority of the time on the beach in the 'Quiet Area' - we found the reps selling trips a bit distracting, and they didn't seem to bother with the Quiet Area (although to be fair, none of them were really overly pushy). The sea is very shallow around the beach, and 20/30 metres out it still only came up to my waist (and it was a lovely temperature).
Excursions that we went on:
'Dolphin Safari' booked through Thomas Cook (£50 ea) - this was amazing. After reading a bad review we deliberated, but we would have been disappointed to have missed out: As these are wild animals, in the wild, i think you have to be naive to think that you will definitely see the dolphins, but the guides really know their onions, and took us to 4 different areas to find them. And we did! We then visited another couple of very dramatic reefs for snorkelling. Tip - only go if you intend on actually getting in the water: The dolphins won't be jumping around balancing beach balls on their noses!!!! The only drawback was the very early start (5.20am: Due to the hotel's distance from Hurghada).
'Super Utopia' booked through Blue Waves on the beach of the hotel (£35 ea) - snorkelling in a couple of different places, fishing, visit to sunbathe on a sand bar, and some watersports (e.g. banana boat). Good value for money and the guides were good fun...
Worth noting that the food on both of these trips (prepared in a small galley) was excellent: Better than a lot of restaurants i've eaten in in the UK.
I can genuinely say that we both had no complaints/gripes/issues whatsoever with our stay at the hotel - the staff were polite, helpful and efficient, and i had no issue tipping any of them, as they had certainly earnt it!
I was a bit unsure about the tipping, but we tipped in each a la carte restaurant (20-40 LE) and gave the towel man on the beach £1 every morning. We gave the room cleaner 50 LE at the end of the week and left a few tips of 10-20 LE here and there at the Azura/Atrium bars....and the service was always excellent whether you tipped or not.
It was also nice to see that the management of the hotel were always visible and were very approachable and interested in your experience of the hotel......
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for a beach front room - we had free wi-fi and late check out included a...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was there with my husband on our 1st wedding anniversary..
It was more than AMAZING... Our Stay Was like a second PERFECT Honeymoon
The Hotel Location is just Perfect, beach is very clean, water is warm and clear
The driver was waiting for us at the airport just on time, even before we arrive

We checked-in in no time though we checked-in very early in the morning before check-in regular timing, the room was ready and the receptionists treated us very well

If I had all the time and space I would love to thank everyone of the staff by his own name, the service level was much more than a 5 star level :) and the people were really friendly and very helpful
They made our stay like a beautiful heavenly Dream :)
Mr. Kannan and the guest relation agents helped me make an amazing surprise for my husband on our anniversary night in the room, and Mr. Sherif arranged for us a beautiful romantic dinner at the greek restaurant.

We also had a very nice day trip with the Blue Waves Aqua centre, the boat was very clean and well equiped, staff were friendly and very nice to us, the trip program was very enjoyable and everything was perfectly on time

It's been an amazing Romantic and relaxing stay just more beautiful than we even planned :)

I thank the Hotel Management and everyone in the staff for making or 1st Wedding anniversary UNFORGETTABLE :D

And one more thing, Egypt is safe and this non-sense security alert is completely wrong
The Weather is amazing and I don't regret spending this stay in Soma Bay, Egypt
The beauty here in nature, people and service is incomparable...

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building, 4th floor are more than amazing, the view reveals the pool, gardens and...
4 Thank Magdoline M
near london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I just spent half term at Palm Royale with my boys (13 and 11), our twelfth visit, second this year, and it was just what we needed. We were warmly welcomed by Mr Kannan who showed us to our family room, well suite really, comprising a bedroom with en suite and a large living room which, in addition to a sofa and huge flat screen tv, had two full size beds, I reckon queen size, not flimsy camp beds. The staff were, as always, all very helpful and genuinely wanted us to be happy. My bed was a little hard which I mentioned in passing so a mattress topper was immediately arranged and several times over the next few days I was phoned to see if I was more comfortable, I was it worked a treat. We had dinner at all the restaurants and enjoyed them all although our favourite was the Asian, probably because we were got a lift on a golf buggy there and back. We had such a lovely time and as always many thanks to all and greetings to Mr George, Mr Iranka and Liesle.

Room Tip: If you're after a peaceful time request a top floor room overlooking kite surf beach
2 Thank mumof2NearLondon
lancaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I am scoring this hotel a 5 because although I have stayed at better hotels this hotel is quite exceptional for Egypt and the staff try really hard to make sure that you are well looked after. Most of them are very friendly - not all but I suppose that is down to personality.
Our room was spacious and we enjoyed having our own 4 foot beds - I went with my daughter and my sister went with her family.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and the food, for a change in Egypt, was quite good with a good selection. Much better than the last time we went to Sharm where we lived on crisp sandwiches.
The entertainement was OK. This is not because Alberto and the team did not try really hard it is because the hotel was quite quiet and catering for the tastes of holiday makers from different coutries is really hard. Alberto actually worked really hard to include us and make us welcome.
The hotel is quite isolated so it is not the place to go if you want to wander about outside.
We just stayed around the beach and the pool. The pool area was spotless. We were brought drinks when we asked. The pool itself was freezing but I suppose it was October. It would have benefitted from being heated.
I would totally recommend this hotel is you want a lovely relaxing holiday with good food and very pleasant staff. As always there were a few drawbacks which I think are worth mentioning.
1. You have to pay for the WiFi and it is not actually that reliable. I did mention this to the duty manager and he offered to give me a %50 discount if I returned. I had already paid so he could not discount me on this occasion. Other hotels I have stayed at have free WiFi.
2. The beds are quite hard and took a bit of getting used to. OUr beds were very creaky and kept me awake the first 2 nights so I mentioned this and came back from a day round the pool to find that they had replaced both beds. Can't ask for more than that can you.
3. The air conditioning was not very good. It struggled to get below 24 degrees.
4. I would not bother with the beauty centre. They offer you a treatment and another free treatment before you leave but having had one you wouldn't go back. They are very expensive eg eyebrow threading in the UK costs £5 in this place it cost £20 but this did include dyeing.
That's about it really. I did enjoy my holiday very much and wish it had not been over so soon. I will not go back but that is only because I like seeing different parts of the world.

2 Thank plummety
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

A brilliant hotel with excellent staff - from Mena, Sam and Mohammed, who ensured that we were fed and watered around the pool, to George, who lined up our sunbeds each morning and kept the kids entertained with magic tricks, through to the waiting staff in the restaurants and the front desk. Noting was ever too much trouble for any of the Palm Royale team.

The restaurants were all excellent - our favourite was the Lebanese, which has amazing chicken shish and kofte kebabs, but the Asian was great too - my daughters weren't overly keen on the menu but a word from the waiter and the chef cooked up simple chicken breasts with rice and came over to check that the girls were happy - which they were. The pizza in the Italian restaurant was good, as was the pasta - and the manager of the Greek restaurant treats each guest as a long lost family member! Breakfast in the buffet was good with an impressive selection, including an egg station for omelettes, poached eggs etc.

Our room was also first class - we had a family suite and the girls room with its twin beds dwarfed ours! One minor complaint was that our room was on the ground floor and over an underground ramp that led to staff areas - the gardeners early each morning had quite a lot to say for themselves, but that really is a minor quibble.

We spent most of the week around the pool which was vast - my girls had an brilliant time splashing around and taking themselves off to the pool bar for a fruit juice when the mood took them! Lunch in the pool restaurant was also very good - with a decent selection of sandwiches and salads. We didn't spend any time on the beach but there was a huge number of umbrellas and beds available.

All in all, a brilliant trip. The one thing I would mention is that the hotel was only around 30% occupancy - once tourists start flocking back after the troubles I guess that could have an impact. On the subject of the civil unrest, we didn't sense any issues or problems whatsoever.

PS. I'm always keen to find out what kind of tips are expected - 10 Egyptian dollars (around £1) is very much welcomed by the pool team each day and the same amount occasionally is appreciated by the bar staff. We were all inclusive but I'd leave between £2 and £3 after each meal which guaranteed a warm welcome on returning to the restaurant.

Room Tip: As above, go for a room on a higher level
2 Thank TheLarges1
Tatabanya, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

First class hotel with a first class staff. Nice and spacious rooms with beautiful balcony and view. Beautiful garden with soft lawn you can't miss to stroll through every day. Great gym with nice sauna and jacuzzi. We liked the Greek restaurant especially. Excellent beach facilities.
If you go for kiting, try the hotel's own station before booking elsewhere - much less people than elsewhere.
Great food, although - being fans of healthy food - we were missing a bit more variety of fruit, nuts and cereals for breakfast.

Definitely a great place to recommend for others. Will soon return.

3 Thank Marcell P
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed at the Palm Royale in October with our 10 year old son. Hotel, Management and Staff absolutely fantastic. Excellent cuisine and service. 5 start hotel through and through - thank you so much for your hospitality - will definitely be returning.

3 Thank Karen T