“Much value for money: pool, beach, service etc.”
Review of Sand Beach Hotel

Sand Beach Hotel
Ranked #196 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Alingsas
“Much value for money: pool, beach, service etc.”
Reviewed 21 March 2009

I have stayed in SB 2 times: In Oct -08 with my husband, and March -09 on my own, at a combined business and leisure trip.
I am astonished to read the "warnings" for this "terrible" place, as my experience of SB is totally different.
- Clean and nice rooms and bathroom (however, it might depend on which room you get: those located in the newer annex(s) where we stayed are probably better than those in the main building).
- Breakfast: nothing to complain about. Other meals I did not have (only once I had dinner, and it was "avarage")
- Very kind and helpful staff: They would go out of their way to make sure that I was content and had what I needed.
- Small but beautiful garden with flowers and palmtrees.
---
I will definitely try to stay at SB again. Of course it depends what you are after. Myself, I don't like extremely large hotels but prefer the more personal athmosphere at a small or medium size hotel. As I partly work during my visits in Hurghada, SB is a perfect place to relax on the beach or by the pool in between.
It might also make a difference that I speak Egyptian Arabic, which the locals seem to appreciate.

HOWEVER: What I miss is an English news channel like BBC World or CNN. Now there are only German, Russian and Arabic news to watch.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Arabic first
Sydney
Reviewed 18 February 2009

I rolled up without a reservation and pretty much could only get in here. They are all packed with prepackaged Russian and English tours so i knew to expect little service.. and that's what I received. It's all a bit long in the tooth quality wise. I had a nice snorkel and swim in the ocean. I got into a disagreement with a pool attendant who was by the look of things going to forcefully remove me from the pool at 10 am as it didn't open until 10.30am. And boy was he a rude piece of work. Truthfully there is nothing to do in Hirghada, but I had to rise out 2 nights waiting for the high speed ferry to the Sinai. Breakfast was actually pretty hearty but traded against it's price. Bear in mind I had just been travelling solo through budget hotels and may be looking at this place with rosy glasses.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank scottdamion
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I have to agree with the previous posts...I was lucky, I only stayed for 3 nights but my experience was the same as the others.

My advise is to visit Egypt, but miss Hurghada. If you want to dive go to the Sinai.

Stayed September 2005

Travellers are raving about these Hurghada hotels

England
Reviewed 3 July 2008

The plan was to stay for four days but we left after one day. The place should be shut down, because of the standard are low in every area...for example when I went in the bathroom, it make me sick...I will say no more.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Traveller0030
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2008

nice rooms good for the money. pool and gardens very good and good snacks at the pool bar

Stayed February 2008
devon
Reviewed 5 January 2008

IF YOU PLAN ON HAVING A GOOD HOLIDAY PLEASE READ THIS FIRST THEN BOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE........
My Girlfriend and I decided to go away for Christmas and new year and booked three weeks at Sand Beach ha ha ha...... we booked all inclusive ha ha ha ..... we arrived 2 hours late and were given a room that most people would not leave a dog in so were offered another bigger room that looked slightly better although it was dark. food in the restaurant had finished but they had saved us a plate of un-chewable beef/camel, a hugh lump of rice, some salad that looked as though it had been through a blender and some cold hard potatoes yum yum.... just what you need after a 20 hour journey.....

After a lay in we decided to give breakfast a miss.... wise move as when i got up the bed collapsed leaving rusty nails sticking into the matress and a nasty bruise on my arm. on closer inspection we found bare wires hanging out of the wall behind the bed, a large lump of plaster was hanging off the wall the plug in the hand basin didn't work and the room was filthy. The fridge was broken inside and rusty outside. after kicking up a fuss a team of workmen arrived and nailed the bed back together sorted the plug out pushed the wires back in the wall and covered them with mastic knocked the falling plaster off and painted the wall beneath...... I've stayed in some poor rooms over the years but this was along the lines of a hostel for the homeless.

After 3 days of the same food (see above) we decided to give the restaurant a miss and eat the snacks that came with the all inclusive..... problem was there were non..... all inclusive in Egypt means you get 3 meals a day but non of the snacks that we were told were included in the price of the holiday. after a heated argument with the management and our travel rep ha ha and threats of moving hotels we were allowed snacks at the pool bar between 2 and 5..... we suffered these for 3 days but got sick of cold chips raw chicken and stale bread and salad and decided to eat out for the rest of the holiday. Drinks were included if you could attract the attention of one of the bar staff that found it hard to seperate serving drinks from trying to con people into buying expensive fake perfume and rubbish silver jewelery from one of their many brothers/cousins etc etc. Though on the whole drinks were not bad and you got larger than average measures but in plastic cups as all the glasses went to the paying russians.

90% of the staff were rude and bad mannered offering litte or nothing in the way of customer care, most prefering to spend their time smoking talking to the russian and german guests or just ignoring everybody.

The hotel itself should have been knocked down years ago The brochure boasts 3 pools but all had broken tiles missing drain covers, dead insects and general litter floating in or littering the bottom. all in all if you want to swim in it get your tetanus jabs up to date. The beach is made from builders shingle though the sea is very clean and good for snorkeling. Sunbathing is a nightmare as you are constantly pestered by the many salesmen trawling the beach area selling everything from coloured sand to a full body massage...... believe me they are worse than time share salesmen. The whole place it set up to cater for mainly russian and german guests and in the 3 weeks we were there we only saw 10 other english people and they all felt the same as we did.

Hurghada itself is a dirty smelly mixture of not so good hotels and slums. The national sport of most Egyptian men in Hurghada is ripping off tourists and slobbering over anyone female. you will get nothing for nothing and the best way to avoid being draged into the thousands of shops all selling the same tat is to just keep walking and dont speak dont shake hands with anyone cos thats how they get you in their shops........ be as rude as them its sounds harsh but it works

There are a few good points.... We found 2 excellent restaurants one called Mafia (an Italian) and the other an argentinian steak house both serve piping hot yummy food at good prices. £17 for two 2 course meals with sides and beer. you can find them either side of the Shedwan beach hotel which if you turn right out of sand beach and walk for about 10 mins past the shops and papas bar... though seeing the Shedwan makes you realise just what sand beach lacks.... The snorkelling trips to Giftun Island are good value at £11 each for a full day with a reasonable lunch. Avoid the paradise island trip as its just giftun island without the snorkelling The super safari although good value is not for anyone with a bad back (but they wont tell you that) they just want your money. If its too late for you to cancel your holiday and you got no choice but to go your only true egyptian friend will be a lovely guy called Zak..... he's got a stall on the right hand side of the hotel as you go towards the pool trust him he will help you not rob you he saved us lots of money he was the highlight of our holiday.

I've been as honest as i can and my advice would be go to Sharm-el-sheik not Hurghada

Stayed December 2007
6 Thank Big-LaLa
Sweden
Reviewed 4 December 2007

The hotel is worn down and the pool was half full and had dead bugs in it. The staff is very unfriendly and stares at European women in a very uncomfortable way, and demands bribes if you don’t want a room that is more of a wardrobe than a room. The persons at the door to the restaurant only opened the doors Egyptian people, and ignored Europeans. Once inside the restaurant, the chef took several laps around us, continuously staring.

We were almost the only European people there, and my girlfriend simply refused to be at the pool. The Egyptian men had jeans and t-shirts when they were at the poolside, whilst the women were fully covered in black, only showing their eyes. Everyone staring at us of course, with suspicious faces. We thought that maybe we could avoid the staring by going to the hotel beach instead, but realized that it was more of a mud pool than a beach.

The thing with Hurughada is that you are limited to the Hotel which you are staying at, since there are no nice public beaches. Make sure you stay at good hotel, which excludes Sand Beach hotel.

I had booked our journey before I read the other reviews on this site, and though “Hey, they must be comfortable people not used to traveling outside of Europe. I’m a backpacker that has traveled the world and lived in shady places, Sand Beach will be fine. We won’t have to spend so much time there anyways if it's bad.”
I was so wrong. If you already have booked, rebook. If there are no other available options, I would rather cancel the trip, especially if you are going as a couple.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — The unfriendly staff
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Traveler_of_Sweden