“Dont expect the earth and you may be pleasantly surprised”

Primasol Albatros Resort
Ranked #165 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Swindon, UK
“Dont expect the earth and you may be pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 14 January 2008

The poor reviews on this site are not fair on the hotel. Its not the best hotel in the world but if you're like us, you probably got a very good price on it.

Yes it is full of Germans and Russians but we just ignored them and had tunnel vision in the restaurant. They dont wait for you so I didnt wait for them.

The Hotel was very good. Hotel staff always happy to help. Restaurant was good. Food not very English but you could always find something you liked. Best food was the chips plus hotdogs or beef strips from the pool bar between 12noon and 5pm.

Kids entertainment was good. Evening entertainment not great but not the worst Ive seen.

The hotel is very close to the airport and is directly under the landing flight path so very low planes fly overhead for most of the day. To start with its exciting, then it gets boring, then it gets slightly annoying at 7am or 11pm. Its not constant but enough that it may get annoying. We did not let it affect our holiday but its something to be aware of.

Be prepared for a hefty bill if you have to visit the onsite clinic. My 10 year old son cut his toe and had to have it cleaned and 4 stitches. Doctor was very good and friendly but I was very surprised when the bill appeared under our door the next morning. £330!

I struggled to find a website for the hotel before we went but I now know that it is a "pickalbatros" hotel so that should help you search. The word Primasol does not appear anywhere within the hotel. The hotel is called "Albatros Resort".

Tip: There is a heated pool in Aqua Blu Hotel next to building number 5, two minute walk from Albatros Resort pools. We didnt find it until the day before we left!

• Liked — Always cleaning. Waterslides. Private Beach
  • Disliked — Hassle from sales people. Eventually stopped when constanlty met with a firm NO THANKYOU.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank waltersboy

Solo
Business
somerset
Reviewed 2 January 2008

we booked with travel republic.com they were great we checked out the hotel be for we booked to see what it was like yeh great we thought there was 8 of us that went 4 adults 4 kids we arrived at 5:35pm and it was pitch black and very windy the hotel is very nice but the amount of people trying to sell you things by the pool while your trying to relax did our head in they just dont stop untill you tell them you have no money and the men who work over there are so pervy its unreal there favorite word for english women is lovely jubly. the blokes in the shop on the resort are really friendly we had a cup of tea with them every night we nick named them del boys and rodneys because they are. if you book a private transfer with travel republic be carefull because we did this and had alot of problems,when we got picked up at the airport the man that met us there told us that he was our rep and dont use med hotels or trust hotels (the other reps) because they are just brokers i am your rep ,he wasnt when we got to our room we had a phone call saying i am your rep from med hotels please come for your welcome meeting we said we already have a rep we dont need you thankyou and hung up we then had a call from the manager of the whole hotel saying please come to reception this is your rep waiting so we did and he explained to us that the hoppa bloke was a con man and he is just to do the transfer and nothing else when he comes tommorow to do your welcome meeting he will be arested,and he was so be very carefull and dont get coned. the food aint to bad it gave all of us deli belly but tastes ok well i hope i helped thanks x

• Liked — how clean it was
  • Disliked — the staff can be intimidating to women
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank vikilou
Dorset
Reviewed 28 December 2007

This was our second visit to the Primasol Albatros because we knew that it offered everything we wanted. Between this hotel and the Aqua Blu which is on the same site there are 6 pools including one with a wave machine. Across the road at the Beach Albatros resort there are more pools and more water slides. You can use all of these and access the beach here. It's within a 5 minute walk or there is a free shuttle mini bus every half hour. Lunch and beer is also served on the beach, but you can't get drinks inside the hotel complex with a Primasol A.I. band.

The food wasn't as good on our second visit, but it was still fine, with plenty to choose from. The restaurant has recently been renovated and has a lovely atmosphere, and plenty of tables. Every night there is a barbeque outside offering either fish or meat.

The hotel offer free unlimited bottles of mineral water which is a bonus, as well as a large selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. There are several bars and the poolside one offers lunch as well for those who don't want to go inside.

The rooms are clean and spacious and are cleaned regularly. We left a tip every couple of days. The wages here are really low and so they appreciate what you leave. The gardens are very well kept and are always being tended. The waiters, bar staff and reception staff are very attentive.

Since we went last time in 2005 a couple of restaurants have been added, which aren't all inclusive but according to the people who ate in them, are very nice, and good value for money.

We went on a couple of trips. The one we have to recommend is the 4 Island snorkelling trip. Definately don't book through your rep as this will cost twice as much and you don't visit so many islands. We also went to the show at 1001 nights but it wasn't worth it.

You are constantly bothered all day by sellers such as the beauty salon, outside trip organisers and the divers, but they normally get the message after you've said no a few times!

The entertainment staff are brilliant, and there is an open air colliseum where they put on the nightly shows. During the day they offer water aerobics and other such energetic activities!

We went into town one evening for a meal with some friends who had been there several times. Outside the hotel, on the main road you can get a taxi. They should only cost 20 Egyptian Pounds to get into town, but will try to get more out of you! It should cost the same to the airport but we gave more, because the drivers have to pay to enter the airport grounds. Coming out of the airport to the hotel was more difficult to negotiate with them and it cost us about £8, but this was still cheaper than getting a transfer for 3 people.

The weather in Egypt is always good during Sept and there is plenty of shade around the pools for those who want it. The evening temperature doesn't dip much below 30 degrees and we've never taken jackets!

We would definately recommend this hotel for couples or families who want to go to a big complex where there is always something to do, good food and drink, and friendly staff. If you don't like being amongst just a few Brits surrounded by hundreds of Russians and Germans then Hurghada isn't for you!

• Liked — The whole experience
  • Disliked — The flies, all day every day!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Lou-n-jonny
Lancashire
Reviewed 12 December 2007

Well where do I start!
We are a family of 7, 4 adults and 3 children aged 10,8 and 3. I originaly booked the titanic aquapark but at last minuite I was informed that it was shut, so wanting a hotel with water slides for the children.
We booked one week selfcatering in Hurghada which was fantastic as you can feel free to do what you want (eat,drink) and visit more things in your own time. The second week I booked the Primasol Albatros which was 5 minuites up the raod from the selfcatering apartment and cost us £2 for two taxi's to take us there.
We have been to Egypt 10 times and stayed in hotels All Inclusive before so we know what to expect. On arrival no welcome drink and noticed not alot of staff, which did not matter, The hotel was in large grounds very clean, rooms have shower cubicles no bath cleaned everyday. We was inpressed by the size of the hotel and the slides, Until evening meal food looked normal for an All in and then it hit us not a place for the English. We used to say the Germans but they are nothing on the Russians they barged in for food, This hotel caters for mainly Russians and alot of single Russian men. My daughter was prositioned while her husband played pool which might I add cost £2 for half an hour. The Internet was £4 for an Hour when in town it costs 50 pence.
And the next day by the pool, the sunloungers have big brollies over them all clustered together so catching a tan was imposible unless you get up in the middle of the night and get one of the few that can see the sunshine.
And Yes i read the report about the airplanes and laughted but im not laughing now that lady was correct you are directly in the landing path and planes are over head most of the time.
You are arrased all the time by the pool by someone selling you trips for this and that, hair dressers, brading even though you say you have done it they still come back the day after trying again.
On our 4th day a Russian Man came in our room while my husband was out I was in bed with my two children aged 10 and 8. I told him to get out thinking he had the wrong room, He just staired at us I repeated myself for about 5mins by this time my children were crying he still did not go then all of a sudden he said "f***you English and f***your children and left, I rang reception to send my husband back to the room and of course they didn't. after a couple of minuites I went in the corridor and the Russian Man was there He started to sware again at me and I ran back to my room and locked the door fast. My children and I by this time were very scared but had to wait a while till we could see the Russian had gone and ran to the reception for my Husband. My Husband came looking for the Russian and low and behold the security turned up and just advised us that the laws are diferent in Egypt.
The day after we went to reception saying we were going to leave the hotel and go back selfcatering and asked them to sort out a taxi to take us there they then informed us it would cost £7.50 each for two taxi's to take us 5 minuites down the road. I phoned what was suposed to be our rep he was of no help at all he offered us the taxi for £5 each.
Sorry its a bit long this report but if you are English and have booked this hotel please don't, try to change it, there is no entertainment either but that is the norm in Egypt.
We booked this Hotel with yourhotels.com and there rep is only there to rip you off with excursions that you can get for 1/4 of the price when shopping around.

Hope this helps

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Jayne42
London
Reviewed 15 October 2007

I write this to save anyone not used to misery on holiday from suffering and loss ! Seriously this place is awful and I'm afraid that positive reviews on this site, have been placed by clearly unfortunate families and couples who have obviously been on some pretty awful holidays and have low standards. If that offends people it should aid people like myself who are not used to holidaying directly under a flight path, or who expect a hotel with a 4/5 * rating to have pools lined with tiles and not peeling rubber (worse than local authority standards in the UK). If that isn't enough for you, there are European 2* rooms, school dinner style food (an excellent imitation) always accompanied with eye wateringly vile "locally produced drinks". Perhaps the final crushing blows are the constant loud pumping music surrounding the pools - making escape into a book impossible, and for those seeking to snorkel in the red sea, the "reef"…a sad sight indeed. 25 years (that’s how long at least since the beach hotel was last decorated) of ignorant and seriously overweight German tourists trampling all over the reef here have killed it off. There are a few lost looking fish out there, but you cant escape the fact that the coral is dead and covered in green rotting god knows what. Do yourself a favour - if your travel agent tells you this place is up to the standards of the internationals (Hilton, Intercontinental etc) tell him or her to milk someone else because this place is a very flawed 3*. It may be called the Albatross but this is a dinosaur and sadly it aint extinct…..

• Liked — Nothing positive sadly
  • Disliked — No one cared about anything. Standards were not evident anywhere.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank Fivestar1987
england
Reviewed 10 September 2007

this is the worst hotel we as family stayed at we booked with on the beach because we wanted some peace and quiet, but forget it, the hotel is in direct landing path for all the airplanes and milaitry plane in hurghada it starts about 6 00 am in the morning, this a place for airplane spotters, we fly with monarch from manchester the plane was delay over 1 hour so we seat on the tarmac until it was repaired, so it was 11.30 before we arrived hurghada, the taxi cost us 10 euro after i had a word with the driver, some peolpe paid 20 pound uk , so be care full there was no food at the hotel for us . but at 6.00am we got our wake up call by the means of the first airplane over head, this went on all day and night for 2 weeks , we asked to move hotels but after several goes we give up , the staff were no help, and very rude to my family, the food is rubbish, we went to lay at the hotel pool to sleep and rest and the hotel salesmans started with haircut at great price, massage for my face ,back, legs , also they wanted to pay for food in the resturants,the salesman were not only from this hotel but also next doors , light shows etc from other hotels, some every 15 mins a egyptian salemans will appear to try and get money out of you, so be care full , we stayed all inclu so we did carry money, but for 2 weeks this sales drive happen at breakfast , lunch, dinner so you could not have your food in peace, this is a hell hole, we went diving but the coral is dead , we over 100 dives each all over the world so forget it if you are diver, most of the coral is at 5 m, so do not go deep, this is not the only problems this hotel has??, the cherry on the cake was our flight home was delayed by 2 hours what a holiday from hell. the hotel is half a star , by the way there was building work as well in the hotel,

• Liked — coming home
  • Disliked — everything ,
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank jamba
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2007

Just return from stay at Primasol Albatros Resort.
5 adults. After a dodgy start (3 rooms booked only 2 ready) and at midnight we were not happy .My wife and I shared with my sister-in-law and problem was sorted following day with three exellant rooms.
The rooms were kept clean by cleaner of the highest standard,a pound every other day did the trick for us.
Food was exellant and varried I tried some dishes that on other holidays I would'nt have touched and was not dissapointed at all.
Drinks on A/I were what we expected beer not that good but vodka tasted fine.
Staff were friendly and polite.
Pools are exellent although wave pool not that clever.Flumes very good.
if you want to relax you can.If you want to do some trips glass bottom boat fine,submarine ok but if you really want to push yourself quad biking across dessert is the one.Verey hot and dusty but worth the effort.
All in all a very good holiday will go to Egypt again but probably
another resort.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — comfort
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family