“Aqua Blu now named Pickalbatros Sea World”
Review of Sea World

Sea World
Ranked #97 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

April 2014. Great selection of pools, restaurants and bars as facilities shared with adjoins sister hotels. Very clean and staff very friendly and do work very hard. Few British holiday makers when we visited so staf really made us very welcome. We would return.

Room Tip: Choice of twin or double beds. Ours had a sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Special6

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Sorry in advance for a lengthy review but I had to warn people and save yourselves the stressful experience we had. My boyfriend and I stayed here for one week Feb 2014, weather was really nice but gets chilly at night so take jeans jackets etc. We booked through Asda Travel/You travel which was a first for us so slighty anxious. Booking went smoothly with Asda Travel & was a lot cheaper compared to some of the bigger companies, would use them again but not this Hotel. Although, they did advertise wrong hotel as I will explain below, not sure who's to blame for this mishap. 'You travel' were terrible at communicating once we were out there.

Airport & Visas
When you first get to the airport it's a bit confusing and intimidating as everyone is hassling you trying to get you to purchase visas from their booths. Don't pay anymore than £10. We didn't realised until after that we got scammed so be aware, we were prime targets for this. Just keep your wits about you in this country as they try and scam you everywhere. It's away of life for the Egyptians so always haggle for lower prices.

Hotel
Firstly we were dropped off at the wrong one. We booked Albatros Aqua Blue hotel but it no longer exists, apparently its been re-name SeaWorld. Instead we arrived at the hotel next door, Beach Gardens as ours was closed, confused? We were too. After much confusion they walked us over to Seaworld to check in, even now we are still confused which one we actually stayed at. Basically there are 3 hotels in 1 complex, all as atrocious as each other (Aqua Vista, Beach Gardens, SeaWorld or Aqua blue as advertised). Do not book any of these!!! You have been warned.
The hotel complex is lovely exactly like the pictures. Buildings, swimming pools, sun loungers and gardens are to a good standard and all kept very clean and tidy. Can't deny that they work hard to keep it looking nice. Flume slides are good fun too, kids will love it! But that's where the positives ends.

Rooms
To be fair our room was adequate and a nice size but nothing worked properly - everything was tatty, old and falling apart. It was clean though and as we never spend much time in our room it wasn't a big issue for us, but definitely nothing luxurious if that's what you want. It was also very noisy during the night.

Restaurants & Food
The restaurants are appalling! I have honestly never seen anything like it. Disgusting! vile! dirty! My heart sank and we both refused to eat the first night it was that bad and we're not fussy eaters! Plates and cutlery are filthy! Tables and floor filthy! The food is cold, unappetising, repetitive & limited with flies everywhere. I even saw them re-using the flimsy plastic cups at dinner and around the pool. Drinks are not good either. I cried myself to sleep first night and we genuinely thought about leaving. We didn't think we could eat there for the whole week. However, after a good night sleep we decided to get on with things and give it a try and breakfast was a slight improvement.

Helpful info
The one and only time we saw our rep he was actually quite helpful & told us we could use the restaurants in the Aqua Vista next door. The food in there was a lot better than the Crocodile restaurant at Beach Gardens, still not great but at least it was edible. We found if you got there as they opened it was much better as you beat most of the chaos, therefore was cleaner and more appetising and we could sit somewhere. He also told us we could use the other Albatros Hotels across the road Albatros Palace and Beach Albatros (not the case though).  Whenever we tried to get in we were refused and turned away by security therefore couldn't acess the beach. One day we managed to make it into the Albatros palace hotel (100 times better) But we got caught as they checked our wrist bands and we got told off and escourted off the premisis. Highly embarrassing even though we were told we could use it. Felt like we were trapped in our hotel like prisoners! We couldn't get away anywhere as there was nothing around except hotels and we didn't feel safe walking about outside the hotel.

Travelling with friends
Big tip if you are booking to come out here with friends like we did BOOK SAME HOTELS!!! Our friends were staying up the road in One of the Sunrise Hotels. Unfortunately it was almost impossible to meet up as there was nothing nearby, no bars or anything and not safe to walk about outside the hotels (we are both younger couples). Luckily we were clever & found some back entrances so we could sneak into one of our hotels to meet up, but we couldnt relax and enjoy ourselves in fear of being caught. Security are very strict so you can't go in any other hotels except the one you're staying at which is fair enough but even when we offered to pay for drinks etc they were having none of it. Such a disappointment when you've booked to come away with friends. We always stay at different hotels so we're not on top of each other and has never been a problem in any other country. We did venture into hurgarda town twice. Taxi cost us 50 egyptian pounds each way (£5 roughly) don't pay anymore, takes approx 25mins. We found an english bar called South Beach that we would recommend! At-least we got to meet up some nights and have a decent meal.

Clientele
There are a lot of Russians and yes they are as rude as everyone else has stated! - VERY RUDE! It Wouldn't usually bother me but as the hotels only cater for Russians and the fact we couldnt leave our complex it does start to wind you up. They let their kids run riot and I even witnessed smacking and a near drowning. They push in, have no manners and are messy at dinner time which is half the hotels problem.

Staff
Animation team are great fun and work extremely hard, but other staff can be very pushy and rude. We had an incident with our cleaner one morning when we decided to have lay in as my boyfriend had been awake sick all night. He came in our room whilst we were still in bed and started pulling the sheets off us & pulling the beds out telling us it was late. Still half asleep we said no come back tomorrow but wouldn't leave despite saying no multiple times, I had to wait out on the balcony half undressed. He awkwardly waited around for a tip so we gave him some Egyptian pounds to get rid of him. He looked at it in disgust & walked off shouting some sort of Arabic! Same thing happened when we tipped other staff. Never experienced anything like it before, just plain rude! You will get harassed ALL the time around the pool & outside the hotel. They are very intimidating at times & don't understand the word 'No'. Taxis follow and shout at you when walking. Horrible when it's dark! They also offered us drugs and made provocative remarks in front of our boyfriends.

Transfers
We booked a return shuttle bus, all fine on arrival but we had no information about our return transfer despite being told we would receive some the day before we were due to leave. No notice boards or any sign of a 'You Travel' existing which was very worrying. When we explained our situation to a staff member at SeaWorld reception he replied 'what do you want me to do about it'. Not the professional response we were expecting. Luckily the reception staff at Beach Gardens were more helpful & phoned the company and gave us the correct info. Thankfully the bus turned up on time!

Summary
We felt uncomfortable, stressed and hungry through-out most of our holiday. Safe to say this was not an enjoyable experience and will not be returning. Such a shame when you look forward to it for so long. I'd advise anyone reading this to look at other hotels in the area if you want to come to Hurghda. I'd recommend Albatros Palace, Sunrise Mamilouk or Crystal Bay, more pricey but worth it! If the hotel sorted out it's food and drinks it would be a lot better! We both got upset tummy's and we lost a lot of weight at the end of the week. When you can't eat properly you're not happy. - Not a holiday in my opinion!

• Stayed: February 2014
11  Thank lucy004
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel, everyone was so friendly, especially the animation team. I didn't have one single problem with my stay here! I loved it and would definitely go back! I recommend any families to go to this hotel as they would really really enjoy it, the entertainment is very good & in the day time there is plenty of thigs to do to keep everybody happy&content.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Fleurharvey
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I just came back from my family holidays from Egypt. We went on our holidays on 24th of May and came back on 7th of June 2013. BeforeItook my family for holiday I went on the website to see reviews of the hotel etc. And I have to say I was happy to go and stay in the designated resort however things has changed when we all arrived. It wasn't all that good and some of the things were absolutely distressful. Let's start from beginning. Slides for children was destroyed, the floor in the children's pool, it was so hard to walk on it as the floor was all coming out. Most of the drinks were OK but very often coca-cola or sprite was gone from maschine. The reception staff was very nice and very helpful, they spoken very good English so it was easy to communicate with them. Also I have to say that bar manager Awed and Life Guard from Aqua Vista Arafat was very nice and helpful. Unfortunately not all of the staff was so nice. One of the bar staff who's working for the hotel Aqua Blue in the lobby of Columbus Bar was one kind of a joke!!! Always playing with his phone, all day long! Very ignorant person, never sad hello or good morning, nothing! When you asked him for a coffe to bring to your table he never did it. We complain about him so many times and he still was doing all the things like before. Finally after my complain to General Manager he was moved to bar by the pool but it was even better for him as he could play with his phone even more. After this complain General Manager has invited us for a complimentary dinner. Such a pity it has to all ended like this, it was so upsetting for me to go through all this when simply what I wanted is to have a nice and relaxing holidays with my family. General Manager is new in this hotel and had promised me he will do his best to improve and I hope so when I go there next time I will be able to enjoy my stay more. Some staff really needs a lot of training and room number 5161 needs a lot of work. Even that room has been cleaned daily it hasn't took away all the dirtiness from previous stays. SPA was also very poor!!! Staff working there didn't had a clue how to even do a good massage. Manager of SPA can be very rude! The trips we had to Luxor or Safari Quad trip was absolutely amazing. I would recommended this hotel however do not expect too much as its has to be done a lot before you can be 100% happy.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Agnes H
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We booked a weeks holiday mid May through On the beach. When arriving at the airport it is a bit daunting as lots of people try to grab you to get your visa but if you use your office guide you shouldnt have a problem (cost about £13) The transfer from the airport was 15 mins and check in was very smooth. Our room was very clean and spacious with daily supplies of clean towels and water. The hotel complex was constantly being cleaned and the pools lovely. All staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke good English. We had the option of eating in the A la Carte restaurants but preferred the main buffet as it had more choice and staff were more friendly.
Found the spa treatments were expensive and not that great.
We did a couple of activities away from the hotel including a submarine tour, quad biking and snorkelling. The town is a £10 return taxi ride away and has a number of shops and bars if you fancy a change.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MimieLeon
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Hotel area as such was very nice and clean, safe. Resort has a couple of pools and enough sunbeds. Beach was unfortunately small but you could still find there free sunbeds. Food and drinks were also good and not the same each day. Especially Albatros cocktail was fantastic in the lobby bar:) Hotel staff was very friendly, supportive and customer oriented in each situation. During the day there were various animation programs and entertainment activities for kids and also adults (zumba, belly dancing, aqua gym/aerobic, stretching) and also in the evening - football match, miss, absolutely amazing comedy show:) We spent here 8 days (3 Slovak girls in hotel full of Russians but I guess, they are everywhere). Overall, it was a great time mainly due to perfect animators to whom we`d like to say BIG thank you. I would definitely recommend this hotel and also for families with kids.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kristinka C
Reviewed 28 April 2013

The hotel surrouding is very nice. There are few swimming pools,to the beach you can walk (just cross the street) or you can take a free bus.
We had a nice room, quiet and clean with comfortable beds:) The cleaning staff was very friendly and cleaning was ok.
I loved the food:) Especially traditional arabic desserts:) They are so nice there:)
The local spirit drinks is better to avoid if you don't want to get a headache next morning:)
In Spa center you can get an amazing massage from Asmaa.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends