“Nice and relaxing resort”

Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Cairo, Egypt
“Nice and relaxing resort”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Very, nice all inclusive resort; it's a five star resort and very upscale. This resort has everything: restaurants, pools, spa, beach, gym, water activities, nice walking/running path, free bike rental, etc. I only left the hotel twice in the three days I was there. Great, friendly staff too.

The hotel was le1000 and included a breakfast buffet (and I did not like the buffet; for me personally, it was below average). The hotel was worth it; but I still had to pay for dinner and other meals and some other incidentals. I ended up w/a le1100 bill when I checked out. That was okay for me since I took a trip out on a boat for snorkeling, had some spa services, meals, etc. Next time, I'll probably do the all 'all inclusive' so that it includes more meals or just go out on the main strip and eat at a restaurant there (they have a Hard Rock Cafe).

Two comments about the food - the breakfast is in a very spacious area and has both indoor and outdoor seating. There are many varieties of food, but still I found myself having just pastries, fruit and juice. I don't eat beef or pork and I was a bit annoyed that there was some mixing of meats at the egg station.

As for dinner, one night I made reservations and dined at Alexanders, one of the high end restaurants at the resort. I decided to go there because I noticed the set menu posted in the lobby of the restaurant. So I was, again, annoyed that they did not even offer me the set menu. It threw me for a loop and I thought that maybe it was just the menu for the previous day and that it was no longer offered. I ended up paying a lot of money for a meal that was just okay (actually the vegetables tasted like they been cooked in a pan that was recently cleaned, meaning I could taste the dish washing liquid). I would have gotten much more variety w/the set menu and for much less.

Incidentally, I went to the hotel on a holiday weekend and there were many families there.

My original room was on the first floor. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of first floor rooms and I immediately asked to be moved. They said no rooms were available and told me the same thing the next day. Finally, late in the afternoon on the day before I was to leave, they offered me a room on the second floor. It was a better view and so I took it even though it was just for a few hours.

Unfortunately, I had mosquitoes in my room. I thought I'd killed them, but they got me at night. You can ask and they will get something to plug into the wall to help w/that problem.

The spa was wonderful. There are many services that are available and packages too. I thought that the prices were reasonable. It's a clean spa w/a relaxing atmosphere. I did not like having to pay extra just to use the indoor whirlpool. The gym, however, is nice and it's free.

They offer a free shuttle to and from the hotel. Just call in advance and make the arrangements.

They have wifi, but you have to pay and I thought that the price was too high. They did not have any free wifi hotspots and I was disappointed in that.

I really enjoyed getting up early in the morning and taking a nice walk around the beach, the golf course and the hotel property.

Room Tip: Keep asking and they will try to accommodate you.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank kim-ohradiogirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Just got back from this hotel, after spending a week at it for our honeymoon, and I have to say, what a superb week we had.

The hotels location is very good as it is only a 5min drive from hurghada airport. We got a fantastic greeting from the staff at the hotel, who were fully aware that me and my wife were celebrating our honeymoon. The room we stayed in was extremely spacious with a very big bed to boot! Tea and coffee are complimentary and we were given a couple of bottles of water everyday which was a nice touch.

The hotel itself had the biggest swimming pool I've ever seen! It also has a separate salt water heated pool however this really wasn't required as the weather was brilliant sunshine throughout. A fantastic lazy river pool aswell. Plenty of sun beds to choose from. The food was fantastic, with a great choice throughout the day, including pizzeria/pasta at one bar, burgers and traditional egyptian food at one bar and then your usual buffet also! Bar staff in the evening were so efficient, just after the first day the bar man got to know what me and my wife was drinking and by the time we finished our drink, there was another one already on the table.

Just a stunning hotel, would recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Ravibains
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We just stayed at this hotel over the Easter break and thought it was great! We have 2 small boys of just 5 and nearly 7 and they had a ball. They loved the Lazy River and really enjoyed the food, and on the nights that the food did not suit them, there was always a standby of pasta or rolls with cheese that sufficed.
Our boys really enjoyed spending time in the Simba Kids club with Sara as she let them have a bit of independence while still keeping an eye on them. She was a lovely quiet girl who the boys still miss!
The staff were great, very attentive, especially to the children and the 2 young guys selling Papyros were just so kind and lovely. Akhmed and Hakim were there names and I highly suggest going to have a look at their work.
The restaurant serving team were also super, Mohammed at the main restaurant was just great and always had a smile and Emil at the pool bar was also super!
The only downer would be that as I am a pudding person, I was a bit disappointed in those at night , but hey you can't win them all!
Overall a great trip and a good time was had by us all!

Room Tip: If you have kids, try to get a bedroom suite.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank caoa
Melbourne
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Everything in this hotel is of the highest quality - decor, room furnishings, grounds, swimming pools, food, service (with one exception). We stayed only for 2 nights, one before and one after our diving trip. Loved it, would gladly stay longer, but no more than 2-3 more days. The drawback of the hotel (from my point of view of course) that it's rather far from the other life. It can be totally advantageous if you want to unwind and do nothing but read and swim, but if you get bored of buffet food, for example, it's not that easy to get an alternative close by, you'd need to get a cab.
A couple of rather petty complaints - hate when you are expected to give tips regardless to the quality of the service. At every hotel point (pool bar, cafe, internet provider, etc) the bills have a line for a tip. I just refused to add a cent to the bill when a cup of coffee was plonked in front of me by a sulky looking guy who even didn't make an eye contact! It happened twice...
The other thing is that the hotel could've provided a free Wi-Fi. In a country like Egypt it's so cheap (I paid $5 for an unlimited mobile internet usage for a month). My partner paid for use of the internet at the business center, the price was extremely high for the service. I tried to use his unused time on my mobile, but the connection was so poor that it was unusable. Definitely the room for improvement there

5 Thank NowCallAustraliaHome
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 27 April 2011

What a pleasant surprise...I have just returned from a week at the Steigenberger Beach Hotel which I booked on the same day as arrival in Hurghada throught expedia. From the moment I landed in Hurghada Airport and was greeted by the driver to the moment I was dropped back the airport I had an amazing experience which exceeded my expectations and was so much nicer that any other Egyption hospitality I have experienced. The Hotel is modern, minimalist style in public areas and in rooms. Separate baths and walk in showers, spacious rooms, discreet but extremely efficient staff from the room boys to the reception staff. The main restaurant was very well managed with plenty of variety for all meals, again the service was professional and discreet. The public areas and pools are just beautiful. Everywhere is spotless and the staff cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The hotel was not full but plenty of atmosphere. I would recommend upgrading to an Elite room, which included free wireless internet and free minibar use (soft drinks and beers). These rooms are however on top of the main restaurant area so at night the entertainment can be heard This is not a problem though as it is ice to watch form your balcony and besides, the noise finishes by about 9.30 or 10pm. I enjoyed spa treatments and scuba diving boat trips with the Elios Dive club both part of the hotel. I had a fantastic stay and will definitely return next time I go to Hurghada.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Lowesam
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I would like to start this review with a consideration: the Red Sea is very different from the Caribbean under many points of view. I’m not talking about the specific settings, but about the cultural environment and general attitudes of people. My wife and I have been living in Egypt for the past 7 months, and we learned that Egyptians are friendly and honest, but can be very heavy when they deal with women. Just to give an idea, my wife cannot walk alone in Cairo without being constantly stared at, verbally harassed, and being constantly reminded that she is a woman. Therefore, we understand those reviews of just women going to Red Sea who were very disappointed, and we would recommend a mix group to get the best out of the vacation. Having said this, we opted for Steigenberger Dau Beach after reading the enthusiastic reviews on tripadvisors, and now that we have tried it, we don’t regret it. Everything is very nice: the food (especially breakfast) is abundant, the rooms are cozy and well refined, the swimming pool is probably the best we have ever seen, the staff are very friendly and everything is well organized. We would definitively recommend it for those who happen to go to Hurghada, although there are a few downers: 1) the temperature of the water in the main pool is very low. This could be a plus if the outside temperature was hot, but in Easter this is not the case. After 4 p.m. you would not consider staying in water at all, and it is a pity. There is a small pool with warm and salted water, but is very little and full of kids, which does not make it fun to swim. 2) the soccer pitch on the beach is a good idea, but the sand is not fine. I played for 20 minutes barefoot, and I got bubbles under my feet that bothered me for the rest of the vacation. I would suggest a layer of 7-10 cm of fine sand to be added to avoid this, or suggest on a board to play with shoes. Also other guests were having the same problem. 3) We appreciated the friendliness of the staff, as well as their efforts to make small talks, but one thing bothered us throughout the vacation: every person we met at every point and every time of the day (waiters, cleaners, guards, receptionists, shuttle guy, etc..) even before saying “hello” were asking us: “where are you from”? Honestly, how many times can one person say where they are from without getting bothered by it? Without exaggerating, we were asked at least 20 times in one day. Finally, one last suggestion: it would be good to have bracelets for all inclusive guests, in order not to be bothered with signing for every drink, every meal and every service you get during your stay. Don’t get us wrong, we loved our stay, ours are only suggestions to the management to fill those few gaps. We would definitively consider coming back: great value for your money.

Room Tip: Mountain view for the wonderful sunset
4 Thank Scodazz
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I have travelled to Sharm el Sheikh, Hurghada and Marsa Alam several times and this is by far the best hotel that I have stayed in during any of my stays (and it was less expensive than many I have booked before!)

Everything was fantastic, good, staff, beach, pools, cleanliness, rooms etc etc. Literally nothing to worry about, just sit back and enjoy it!

3 Thank 89simbo