“a great vacation”

Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I just returned today from Hurghada> I must say I am impressed by Steignberger level. although the weather was cold so we could not enjoy all the facilities like the big swimimg pool because the water was freezing but they have 3 heated pools. the best was the kida area whre there is a heated pool and a Simba club and they have daily activity for the cildren from morning till 8:30. I ust express my thans to miss Fify who took a good care of my 3 children. the sea is wonderful and there is many activity to enjoy. the room is very clean and the furniture was elegant. I was on B&B bases so I only attended breakfast which was very good I considered only second to Moevenpick Elgouna (they served Om Ali on breakfast). So my only remark, that they need to improve the pastry. I am pretty sure I will go again when the weather is more worm.

Room Tip: avoid ground floor if you like sea view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Just got back from a week in what I consider to be the best hotel in Hurghada, not the first time I've stayed here and certainly not the last! Made to feel welcome on arrival, personally by the manager, and the perfect service continued throughout the week. Stayed in an Elite room on the 5th floor, spacious, clean and a great view. Wanted a relaxing week in the sun and got just that, masses of sun loungers and smiling, helpful service from the pool staff. The swimming pool, lazy river is huge and has to be seen to be believed. Great waiting staff, friendly not intrusive and by the third day they would have my drink waiting for me at the table before I sat down to eat! The breakfast buffet is of enormous variety and great quality, constantly being checked and replenished. Ate in all the restaurants during the week, and whether the fine dining options or the beach bar, the quality of food and standard of service was excellent. Thanks also to all the staff on reception, housekeeping and guest relations who were all so helpful - including a special mention for the delightful Sabrina who gave great inside advice on an upcoming visit to Berlin. Will be visiting again for a week in August, if I can wait that long........

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I'd preface this review by saying that there was, for us, one very big negative (hence my rating of 4, instead of 5) - but it's one that probably would bother very few people; so I've left it to the end of the review.

Overall, this has to be one of the best holiday resort hotels we've ever stayed in - not only in Egypt but anywhere else in the world. The hotel itself is beautiful - elegant and attractive architecture, fantastic grounds (maintained and cleaned to an amazing standard) running to many acres and interspersed with pools, lakes and rivers (and a golf course!), and the rooms are large, comfortable, attractive, very well-appointed and kept immaculately clean. It has a private sandy beach, with safe bathing; and with more than enough sun-loungers and canopies to cope easily even on an Egyptian holiday weekend when the hotel was absolutely full with families. Similarly, there are innumerable sun-loungers placed around the pools and other water attractions in the grounds - I doubt if more than 10% were ever occupied. There is one concern in respect of the beach - in that it also serves the Steigenberger Aqua Magic resort on the other side of the cost road from the Al Dau. Only just opened, it will have 700+ bedrooms when fully operational; and I do wonder whether the beach area will cope adequately with the number of extra people that will generate.

The staff are very well-trained, polite and very friendly without being overly familiar. I'd mention particularly Hanna (in the lounge bar) and Ahmed Salim in the Tanga restaurant - but really they were just particularly good examples of the general quality of the staff.

The restaurants are all good - the main buffet restaurant (Tamarind) always has a huge range of food at breakfast; and different theme buffet meals every evening and, in general, always coped well with the volumes of customers. My only complaint about the Tamarind breakfast is that the wait for cooked eggs was often too long (sometimes queuing for as much as 10 minutes before the order was taken). In most western-European or Caribbean 5-stars I've stayed in, the waiters keep an eye on the eggs queue and, as soon at it starts to build up, they intervene, take your order and tell you they will bring it to your table when it's ready. This never happened during our stay.

Both the a la carte restaurants are also excellent, although their menus are quite limited and they apparently never change. We were there 3 weeks, and both restaurants had the same menu every single night. As per my last paragraphs below, this was a problem for us. There is a 24-hour cafe in the hotel lobby which serves very passable hot meals - quiches and pasta; and also serves a nice buffet at about 10pm every evening.

The position of the hotel was a slight disappointment - the area is described in internet guides etc. as having lots of bars and restaurants (which it needs, in my opinion, given the current limitations of the Steigenberger in this respect). In practice, there are several bars, some of which do serve kebabs and pizzas; but most are not of a standard that the more sedate, slightly ageing, customers like ourselves, would find acceptable. An exception is the Hard Rock Cafe - about a 20 minute walk. There's really only one other high street restaurant in the area (Sherazhad - part of the Hor Palace Hotel - which serves passable meals, as long as you don't mind the rats which skuttle through at intervals!!)

The hotel includes a dive school, which I tried out on a couple of days. Their standards, boats, equipment, staff etc. were all very good but, because they cater for a very wide range of people, including snorkellers and first-time divers, they only ever went to "novice" rated dive sites; which I found generally very tame and not particularly interesting, so I didn't go again (and couldn't find any other schools nearby which were any different).

As the trip was primrily a convalescence for my wife after operations, we made some special requests of the hotel - for sun-beds on our balcony in particular. Every request was acknowledged immediately and dealt with most graciously. We made some minor observations (not complaints) about elements of the hotel while at the weekly Managers' cocktail party - and to thank us, they sent round a huge bowl of fruit, chocolates, etc.

So, to our big problem which, as I said at the beginning, would affect very few people. In general, my wife and I are not large eaters - we rarely if ever have anything more than a main course, and quite often my wife will only have a starter portion. We therefore only booked bed & breakfast, knowing that full-scale table de hote or buffet meals would be far too much for us and that paying for full board or all-inclusive would therefore be a wasted expense. We found to our great concern that the only restaurant we could use initially for dinner was the Tamarind - where we had to pay for 2 full buffet meals (£30GB) just to eat one starter and one main course. There was no a la carte alternative offered or available. There are 2 a la carte restaurants in the grounds, but they are a long walk from the hotel (my wife was not really up to that when we first arrived; even using the little golf buggies that were available for use). Also, they have to be booked 2 days in advance and we were unable to book into them until about our 3rd day. The capacity of the 2 restaurants seems absurdly low, compared to the capacity of the hotel (300+ bedrooms). As I mentioned above, they both served different menus, but the same, very limited, menu every single night, so we really didn't want to eat in them all the time (even if we could get booked in, which was not always possible when we tried). The 24-hour cafe in the lobby provided us with some alternatives; and the 10pm buffet was quite good (and very reasonably priced at about £8GB per head), although that was rather too late for us to eat and we never knew until it arrived what it was going to be and whether there was something we would like. It was also, the first couple of times we tried it, not hot enough - but we brought this to the attention of the staff and it was rectified; and we noticed after that, every night the chefs came up to make sure the temperature of the containers was correct before the food was put out.

We accept that "5-star/Deluxe" does not mean the same in Egypt as in many other parts of the world - but we do expect any hotel claiming that classification to be able to offer genuine a la carte dining; when required and with a good variation of menus on a daily basis; for as many of the hotel guests as need it. The Steigenberger Al Dau fails completely in this respect; and it did spoil our holiday somewhat. Had my wife not been convalescing, we would probably have taken a taxi into Hurgahda every evening to eat (it's only about 10 minutes drive); but it's a bit sad that it should be necessary.

In future, this problem may well be largely solved by the completion of he Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel - which is just on the other side of the road to the Al Dau and is already part-open. This resort will, we are told, have 14 (fourteen!) al la carte restaurants and, we assume, these will be able to be booked by Al Dau residents. It will mean a bit of a walk to/from dinner, but could well offer the range of dining which would make this holiday destination perfect.

Room Tip: South facing rooms get sunshine on the balcony all morning. Others get very lttle direct sunshine. R...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian J
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had a wunderfull week! Service is excellent everywhere. Food is excellent and we would like to give our special thanks to hosam ahmed best and friendly waiter at alexander restaurant , tanga restaurant and the beach, Also we would like to thank Saleh Rabea best waiter at buffetrestaurant! We can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lampe1234
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Well, let me say: This hotel is the best ever, not only in Hurghada but may be over Egypt as a whole..
We traveled to Hurghada for our honeymoon in October & we stayed in Steigenberger Al Dau- The Elite room.
This place treats honeymooners as special as it should be..
We truly enjoyed our stay there for all possible reasons; Impressively welcoming us, the cheerful staff, very cozy rooms, all sorts of entertainment, delicious food & variety of breakfast items, the feel-great spa... I hope I didn't miss anything :)
Special thanks to Ms.Yasmine, Reception Manager & to Mr. Nagy Ayoub :)
Only challenge for me now is to stop comparing anywhere I go to this hotel, as it's absolutely the BEST! :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Especially the guys at the beach restaurant Tanga (Ayman Abt Sabour and Amr Soliman) brought our drinks switfly and remembered what we wanted each day so we didn't need to order it.
This also happened in the Tamarind buffet restaurant outside. When we entered the terrace they recognised us and escorted us to our table with a heater (if nessicary) and brought our usual drinks.
We stayed there in the end of january. In the beginning it was peaceful and quiet. But in the end the Egyptian Holidays started and the hotel was flooded the locals. Which usually is a good thing. The Hotel staff tried to keep everything as smooth as possible. But at dinner time it was sometimes a bit too crowded. And some (not all) local people have a different view of service and politenes. Which means that when people were waiting in line, they just skipped the line and took everything without any respect other guests or the personel. But if you went outside n it was nice again.

One drawback was the neighboring resort Sultan beach. Which had a PA system directed a the Al Dau resort. When the wind was coming from that resort (80% of the time) the music was very loud and repeated every morning (from 10 o'clock). Of course it's not the fault of the Al Dau resort, but something you have to be aware about.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2014

professional staff , amazing location and view, elegant rooms , nice food , everything was perfect. one of the best place to go it was my second trip to this hotel and they keeping the same high standards.

• Stayed: January 2014