“Three star at best!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Makadi Bay
Sunwing Family Star Makadi
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Three star at best!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

My family and I stayed here for a week over Christmas this year. The resort looks spectacular, the pools and palm trees and well maintained buildings. It is very well maintained, on the outside. However, when it comes to the rooms things are definitely lacking attention. The hallway and bathroom of our room had plaster work peeling and a very strong and constatnt odour. The metal holders for soap,etc. in the bathrooms were rusted. Worst of all, staying there for a week, the beds felt like sleeping on the pavement. Beneath the sheets (which I would accept were clean) the matesses were clearly several years old and very dirty.

Apart from that, as I metioned the resort is spectacular. Stay away from the dodgy taxi service they promote in the lobby and the shops on site where everything is fake or very bad quality. Overall this is a three star resort disguised in brochures with a four or five star looking pool complex.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Anthony B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Arabic first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

A lot of people rose their eyebrows when i said a was about to spend my Christmas in Egypt by my self. But it would be my third time in Egypt, so I felt confident and was looking forward to go. My main purpose of the trip was to relax and catch up on some books and of course lay on the beach and get some SUN!!
I was there 7 days, and it was wonderful. I love the buildings, in lovely colors and the atmosphere they gave. Rooms were clean and spacious. I think I ate dinner at new restaurant everyday - a lot to choose from, and good food!!
The staff were friendly, and even though I was alone at the beach, I was not hassled by people trying to sell me stuff or give me massage. It was very pleasant and the perfect place to relax - but saying that; there were also plenty of options of things to do -- sports, snorkling, horse riding near by etc etc :)
I spent Christmas day by my self, but were taken very well care off by super friendly staff!!
I would go back anytime!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank kajajOslo_Norway
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel ticket all the boxes and left little to be desired. The two floor, two bedroom, two bathroom apartment had plenty of room for myself and the three friends I travelled with. And the best part was the upstairs balcony/terrace where we would start our mornings with breakfast in the sun.

The staff were really friendly and always there to help. There were plenty of restaurants to choose from in the resort and it was exciting to try out a new one every day.

Evening entertainment was fun, I loved the atmosphere in the Piano bar. There were also plenty of daytime activities to choose from, although we spent most of the time sunbathing.
Will definitely be exploring more next time I visit this lovely resort. Fingers crossed it won't be too long till next time. Definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Helghe
Surrey, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

My wife and I and our 3 teenage boys all enjoyed the resort and staying at the Family Star. The room was a good size and was comfortable. A few things did not work but were quickly and effectively repaired. We found our room to be very quiet and were very rested after our weeks holiday.

We enjoyed the large selection of facilities that the Makadi Place had (The Family Star is just one of the accommodation options of a large resort) The restaurants we tried were all good with plenty of choice. With 3 growing boys who can eat and drink their own body weight each day being all inclusive was excellent and worked out very good value. Especially at it was over 40 degrees and we all needed constant drinks.

We went at the start of the UK state school sunner holidays and sun beds were very hard to get. Because of the extreme heat and other things we did we only need sun beds on 3 days but special effort was needed to reserve them. (I am not sure if there is a definite link to the fact that the majority of guests were German!) The rep joked that the other guests got up at 3 am to reverve the sun beds. The first time we wanted them I went down at 7 am and got the last 3 beds in the resort (there are hundreds) when we wanted 5. The next time I went down at 5.15am and about a third of beds were already reserved (none were reserved the night before). This was the only thing which we would change as I like to get up later than 5 am on holiday. It was also anoying as poeple reserved the beds but found it too hot to use them so they were empty all day apart from the odd book/hat/tee shirt left on them.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
JAZ Makadi Saraya Palms
JAZ Makadi Saraya Palms
#1 of 51 in Hurghada
Sunwing Waterworld Makadi Hotel

Been to Sunwing Family Star Makadi? Share your experiences!