“Fantastic people made this holiday unforgettable.”

Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Just got back from Egypt in the early hours of the morning and thought I would write about it while its fresh in my mind. We had wanted to go to Egypt and decided to go to Hurghada instead of Sharm as it gives you a lot more options for exploring and getting a bit of culture in Cairo or Luxor. There is not a great deal around the hotel but there is a shuttle bus that goes into Hurghada centre if you've had enough of the beach or pools.

The Stella Makadi is made up of two sites, beach and gardens. Obviously the beach is right next to the beach and the gardens are set behind, easily walkable but there is a free shuttle bus that goes all day every day between the two. This was great because sometimes it was just too hot for a walk no matter how leisurely! We stayed in the gardens resort which is the newer of the two sites. The rooms were fantastic, a lot bigger than I expected and the bed was massive and really comfortable. The bathroom had a seperate bath and shower which and the whole room was kept spotless by the cleaning staff.

The pools at the gardens were fantastic as they are pretty new. The pools at the beach site were also good but maybe a little tatty round the edges where a few tiles have broken off over the years. This didn't matter to us as it was safe and clean and that was more important than aesthetics. There are so many pools that you could lay by a different one every day, thats if you can beat the germans and the russians to the sunbeds! The private beach was well maintained and lots of room, plenty of sunbeds too. Towel service is great because you don't have to worry about packing your own towels and can save on weight. They give you a card per person for towels when you check in and you swap the cards for beach towels. There is a towel station next to every major pool and on the beach and also a pool attendant by nearly all of the pools to help with the manouvre of sunbeds etc.

The main buffet restaurant at the gardens was great, there was a lot of choice and it was different every night for two weeks. It might not suit everyone's tastes but there's always something for everyone. The food is beautifully presented and they do a different theme each night. We ate at all the other a la carte restaurants, I would definately recommend getting up early to book though or you might be disappointed as they are very popular. The food in these restaurants was some of the best I've ever eaten. The head chef could be found every meal in one of the restaurants and he was such a nice guy! He was so proud of his food and asked us every day how everything was. You could tell he cared so much about whether we enjoyed it and he told us a lot of background about the egyptian dishes.

I can honestly say that the staff in this hotel were the best anywhere we have every stayed in any country. When they clicked on that we were English they were so chatty and friendly. The waiters in the garden buffett restaurant were exceptional, they were literally tripping over themselves to get you drinks. After 2 weeks we felt like family and were on first name terms with a lot of the waiters. I was so sad to leave them and have swapped email addresses with one so that we can keep in touch.

On the beach there are a lot of people walking round advertising and selling trips and services which I know some people find annoying. They didn't annoy us at all, the trips they advertise are genuinely really good and they are also really nice people. We made good friends out of a few of them and really enjoyed chatting to them. Even if you didn't book a trip with them they were quite happy just to chat. We booked with Thomas Cook and they have their own trips and excursions which are great if you want to go to Cairo or Luxor but for the local trips I would reccommend you book with the guys on the beach. They need the money much more than Thomas Cook and offer much cheaper prices and are just as safe and reliable. We went on a snorkelling boat trip which was fantastic, so many beautiful fish and the coral further out towards Giftun island was stunning. We also went quad biking and horse riding in the desert and had a massage at the spa. They were all value for money and a great experience which helped make our holiday great fun.

I would definately reccomend this hotel to everyone whether you are going as a couple, family or a group you will have a great time. The Egyptian people really were the icing on the cake for us, we weren't sure what to expect but they were the most welcoming and friendly people I have ever met. I would go back time and time again just to see some of the people! A fantastic holiday, definately money well spent.

Room Tip: Rooms are newer and cheaper at the Gardens than at the beach and also have a better bathroom.
4  Thank elliechampion15
Viviane R, P.A.to G.M. at Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Dear valued Guest,

What an amazing energizing impressing review, we would like to seize this opportunity to accentuate our utmost appreciation and thanks for posting your very positive review regarding your first visit to Stella Makadi Resorts & Spa.

We are also more than glad, that we succeeded in providing your good self an unforgettable holiday, we area also proud that you had admired he services provided and got a great impression our team members and acknowledged the majority of them.

Please trust that we found our pleasure in serving each and every guest individually & passionately ‘we are also so happy that you had admired our expansion the “Stella Gardens” and that you found it comforting & recommendable.

Our team members are doing their utmost to achieve their overall objectives and to exceed guest’s expectations to attain their premium satisfaction.

We will be very pleased, by being a regular guest to our property & looking forward to further association with us in the nearest future.

Looking forward to the pleasure of serving you.

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (2,981)

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Very organized well managed new hotel, i stayed with my family at stella gardens from 13 to 16 september
The stuff was very helpful and well educated how to treatwith guests especially mr moustafa rec manager, adel and alaa at the restaurant, maamoon and hany for the luggages
The food was exellent with wide variety but Friday dinner was medium quality saturday was exellent
Facilities were good like shuttle bus to the beach. Swimming pools were wonderful specially the one with slides
The beach is good but only for young and snorkling lovers but not for seniors

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank dromda
Viviane R, PA to GM at Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your positive review and for sharing your experience with us and with other travellers on TripAdvisor.

It was so motivating to know that you had enjoyed you sojourn at the Stella Makadi, acknowledging our staff members was also very energizing to serve more passionately.

We at the Stella Makadi believes that is only through listening carefully to our dear guests suggestions and commentaries we would be able to attain the premium level of services that we strives for.

Looking forward to a further association with us in future.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

All I can say is this hotel is a must. Food, drink, rooms, staff excellent. Stayed in room 1863, 7th - 14th September the gentleman (cant remember his name) made lovely animals with the towels and kept our room spotless a big thankyou.
They have the all inclusive down to a tea so organised best hotel we've stayed in yet. The only down side I can think of is there weren't many British people staying there. Mainly Russians and Germans who were actually quite rude especially to the staff!
The hotel is in two parts Gardens and Beach which wasn't made clear at the time of booking. I did book on the strength of being on the beach as we stayed in the stella gardens but there was a shuttle bus every ten minutes taking you to the beach.
Can't wait to return.

3  Thank JulesDerby

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your amazing review and for you generous & motivating description to our resort.

We are so glad and proud that we have reached your entire satisfaction

Please trust that we found our pleasure in serving every guest individually & passionately.

Your feedback underlines a wonderful experience and we are grateful for your visit and recommendation to our resorts, we appreciate your comments about our facilities, food and our high quality. We also thank you for acknowledging our staff.

We wish to have the opportunity welcoming you once again the very soon.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

The hotel is very nice, it's like a very hot butlins, in that everything you could ever need for your holiday is on site within the resort but much much better than butlins obviously.

The rooms were very spacious, clean and a pretty modern bathroom with very decent sized shower. Room's and towels changed daily as you would expect. There are several species around such as ants geckos and moths, but I think we saw more as we were on the ground floor, but what do you expect... Your in the desert?

The food was very good and I am very fussy. There were things that I didn't dare try as it looked weird but if your more adventurous than me you'll be well away. Breakfast lunch and dinner all had a wide variety of food to choose from and there is a different theme each night, eg. Oriental then Mexican etc. There is stands in all sittings that make food fresh to order like pancakes, pasta with your selection of sauce and extras and fresh pizza and there is always a barbecue bit too, from chicken to fish and crab to kofta. All very nice!

All the staff were unbelievably friendly and appear to adore the English. Which is a point, the hotel was mainly infested with Germans and Russians, but there were some English couples knocking around. The hotel is great for couples or even families. There are people trying to flog stuff around the pool, but not stuff like watches and sunglasses; excursions. These people have to pay to be on site so these people are also extremely friendly and helpful, especially if you buy something from them; alternatively, if you don't want to do it just saying no thanks is fine and they don't pester you. There are people selling quad biking, horse and camel rides, scuba diving and snorkeling trips and spa treatments.

We did the quad bikes and they were excellent, so good we did it twice. Obviously for all excursions you can barter with the price so don't take the initial price they give, same in the shops on site. The quad bikes last for two hours and it is thoroughly enjoyable. We also did the horse riding, which wasn't as good. If you have never rode before but fancy going fast say you have rode a few times and they will give you one of the middle horses that actually run! I got a donkey that refused to get into second gear and it was profusely boring! We also had a massage on site and this was also good, recommend doing that on your last day. I should say that all these excursions are on site, no bus ride needed.

We also bought two excursions from Thomas cook, the speed devils sand buggies and the trip to gifting islands. The sand buggies was a two seater and you go through the desert (after transfer into hurghada) and view the panorama, sun set (very nice) and have tea with desert people, an experience. 60 notes, worth the experience if not slightly overpriced. The gifting islands was also an experience, after a coach trip you get on a boat to a secluded beach and have the choice of finger out to sea to do some snorkeling. Lunch is provided and is very nice and on the way back you see the sun set too. Again this was 120 for two so I think overpriced but an experience nonetheless.

The hotel has 3 pools, 1 is a relax pool, no music I think. There are also two kids pools, 1 next to the noisy music pool and one next to relax pool. The hotel provide you with towel cards to collect hotel beach towels which is a nice touch, save luggage weight here! The sunbeds are free and the beach is a step away from the pool, plenty of sunbeds, all free to use too. There is a jetty that goes all the way put to sea for some awesome snorkeling action, and this is where I proposed to my now fiancée, it was so nice overlooking the sea! The sun sets really early at about 6ish! There is also a beach bar where your all inclusiveness gets you drinks and food throughout the day. There are also bars in the pools to drink from!

The whole hotel is well presented, the rooms are very habitable, the staff are diamonds, the location is spot on and the whole holiday was just PERFECT! we would go again without hesitation and wouldn't take a second to recommend it to the next man.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Bishopg2013
Viviane R, PA to GM at Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Dear valued guest,
We would like to thank you for your visit to Stella Makadi Resorts & Spa; it was truly a pleasure to serve you.

We are very glad and proud that the accommodation and services were up to your entire satisfaction and met your expectations, as guests satisfactions is what we really strive for.

We are so pleased that you admired our expansion; sharing your detailed description and your opinion with us and to other travellers on trip advisor is so much appreciated; and we aim to always exceed the expectations of our dear and valued customers.

Please trust that we would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest to our property.

We are very delighted to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us; once we read your review we were all filled with content to know that you were pleased during your stay with us.

We are looking forward to your next visit so that we can resume your enjoyment with us.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

First visit was very good, 2nd visit was even much more better,they keeping up their work even better to serve you the best,the food a wide variety of choices,the room was cozy,staff always smiling,I just felt so comfortable staying at this hotel,I went to had a massage but wasn't good enough their therapist are not real professional and even asking us some tips or any gift :-( ...and the best thing I would never expect with satisfaction is the diving,I went to piano diving center and my experienced with them is unforgettable,I did my daily diving journey it was totally great,I did my open water with them on my first visit,they care about your safety,they explained well what we are going to do underwater and they do it by very professional way,I advise people who go for diving, always listen what the professional says,do not listen sometimes the scary words of tour leaders,anyhow if you go for diving just go for diving and enjoy... I probably comeback again to Stella makadi and for sure to dive again and again with that center inside Stella makadi...

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pam T
Viviane R, PA to General Manager at Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest

We are delighted to receive your comments regarding the service and hospitality provided by our team members. Let us thank you for the precious time taken to write your kind comments.

We were more than glad and proud while reading your valuable comments especially when knowing that our services had met your kind expectations and happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation. We also thank you for acknowledging our staff

Your feedback underlines a wonderful experience and we are grateful for your visit and recommendation of the Resort & Piano diving center, we appreciate your comments about our facilities .

In the mean time we apologize & regret that you didn’t enjoy your massage , please trust that we took your comment in consideration and we will share it with the concerned so that to be procured in the nearest future.

We wish to have the opportunity welcoming you once again the very soon

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We travelled as a couple to Stella Makadi Gardens for two weeks in September. We booked the trip through a budget online travel agent and did have a few problems with contacting our rep, but that cannot be blamed on the hotel. Whether you are staying at Beach or Gardens, you are able to use the facilities at both hotels for no extra charge. The hotels are a 5-10minute walk apart (suitable for wheelchair users), depending on which block you're in. There's also a shuttle bus every 10 mins but don't bank on this if you're in a wheelchair because it has no disabled facility.

Room
The rooms are arranged in blocks. As far as we could see all rooms have a pool view except two around the entertainment area (I'd avoid these as the evening entertainment isn't the best!). I'd recommend a ground floor room- you then save yourself the hassle of waking at 4am to reserve a sunbed ahead of the Germans as you can just step off the veranda into the pool. The rooms are decorated in a lovely style and were extremely clean. A few earwigs, moths and one cockroach but we were on the ground floor so this was to be expected. The cleaner was brilliant- after just one day he realised we'd prefer our room cleaned in the afternoon to avoid his 8am wakeup. Some of the cupboards etc are scratched as if they're second hand but overall the room was fantastic- super widescreen TV (with tons of English films and American series- not that TV is important on holiday!), kingsize bed, 2 inside and 2 outside chairs, super efficient air conditioning, lovely bathroom. Only real issue was the positioning of the shower attachment: it was aimed towards the floor outside of the bath so every time the shower is used the floor floods but we rectified this by using it as a hand shower.

We found the buffet was much better at Stella Beach- there was a fresh pizza bar, grill, larger pasta station and generally more choice and hotter food. The a la carte restaurants are free to use, you just need to queue from 9am in the morning to book them. There's Indian, Lebanese, Chinese and Italian (which has a buffet too). My partner had severe sickness after eating raw fish at the Italian and we both got upset stomachs after we'd eaten at the Lebanese however we ate here on our 3rd night so this could easily just be the inevitable Egyptian tummy. Overall the food was nice, although a break from the buffet routine was welcome when we ate at the a la cartes and pizza bar (situated at the beach, 3-5pm).
Drinks were all local booze unless you asked for a big brand, which you sometimes had to pay for. The pool bars offered up much stronger drinks than the bar inside (Moustafa, the bartender at the heated pool, in particular is a credit to the hotel). Cocktails were a little disappointing- mainly because the fruit juice is extremely diluted (even though it comes from a carton). You also have to pay for many of the more popular cocktails e.g. Pina Colada because of the expensive coconut milk used.

Pools
The pools at Gardens are lovely and immaculately clean. 7 in total, 2 with a pool bar. Prepare to get hassled by sales people, even if you have said no to them before! This is inevitable at a hotel complex but to be fair they weren't as bad as other hotels I've visited. We were shocked at the condition of the pools at Stella Beach- tiles falling off everywhere and the areas look fairly dirty. We'd definitely recommend using the Stella Garden's pools. All in all Stella Beach felt much more like a budget hotel than Stella Gardens, but then Stella Gardens felt a bit like an afterthought to the much larger Stella Beach so it's swings and roundabouts. The Animation team were very active, and the main pool where they 'animated' got a tad loud at times, but all the kids and families seemed to enjoy it, and it was easy enough to avoid by going to one of the 6 other pools.

Beach
The beach is not sandy but more gritty- take suitable shoes as it does get painful to walk on. The house reef is amazing- well worth snorkelling and diving. If you're interested in diving don't do it at Piano Diving situated at Stella Beach!! They offer fairly good value deals but my partner and I went on a trip with them and were really shocked at the lack of safety! Admittedly different countries do it in different ways but some of their practices were unbelievable. My partner is highly qualified so defied the divemasters and surfaced before he was in any serious danger. There are many dive centres in neighbouring Hurghada new town (only 25 mins away in a 50EP taxi) which are probably worth researching before you go.

Taxis
Just a warning- don't use the 27Euro return taxi service to Hurghada offered at the hotel. The hotel will not ring any other taxi firm but go the the hotel gates and the security guards will help you to get a taxi for just 50EP (£5) and they're easy enough to flag down when you want to return. The hotel's taxis are 'limousine' (as in a posh car- Lexus, Merc etc) but for a 25minute journey a 50EP 'normal' car is ample.

All in all a wonderful holiday. The staff could not do enough for us (sometimes their actions edge on intrusive but this was rare) so please leave a tip if you agree; they are paid peanuts. Beware of tipping too early in the holiday though as you will start to get over hassled. Yes there were too many rude and arrogant Germans and Eastern Europeans- but this will happen in most places as they are typically willing to pay more than us for the same room- this can't be blamed on the hotel. The staff much prefer English people as we are stereotypically more polite and talkative so we were always made to feel welcome. Will definitely be recommending to friends and family, and will maybe visit again in the not too distant future. Thank you Stella Makadi for a wonderful two weeks!

Room Tip: Ground floor to get quick access to pools. Not in blocks close to the entertainment!

Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Stella Makadi for spending your recent holiday and for the time devoted to share your feedback. As we are concerned to learn about your comments regarding your stay

Thank you very much for getting in touch with us and for sharing your experience with us and with other travellers on trip advisor.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience you might have faced and we are of course sorry that you did not consider raising your concerns with the senior management team whilst here, who would have made every effort to address your concerns. We pride ourselves on our service levels and take feedback seriously in order that we can address any specific issues.

In respect to the stomach upset, our resort is HACCP compliant undergoes monthly external Health and Safety audits, where our results are deemed as excellent. Upset stomachs are not necessarily a result of food, but can be combination of many reasons.

Given that the hotel is all inclusive, any potential virus would affect all of our guests. To further ensure our guests’ satisfaction we also have a resident doctor on site 24 hours a day.

Please trust that your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of services we extend to our guests.

Let me reassure you that we had taken into consideration your valuable remarks and all the corrective actions are being considered in order to facilitate the level of highest customer service to be provided in our resort wherever possible.

Many thanks for your compliments and greets for “Moustafa” the heated pool bartender, assuring that we will deliver your thanks & greets to him.

Finally; we are confident you would overlook any negativity or unforeseen dissatisfaction and would continue your business association with us.

Looking forward to the pleasure of serving you.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

This was our 2nd visit to the Stella Makadi and we loved every minute of it again!!!! The hotel itself was a very friendly place and the staff were amazing. The cleaners work their socks off, Kim and Aggie wouldn't have much to complain about here. The food was fantastic and a wide variety of choice. The Italian was amazing we have holidayed in Southern Italy many times and food was pretty close!! Plenty of swimming pools to choose from and all the bartenders in the bar pools very funny and will mix you any drink you like. Thank you and we will see you again soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theredders
Viviane R, P.A. to General Manager at Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire time “ thank you very much for sharing you experience with us and with other travellers on trip advisor , we were very delighted to know that you had enjoyed your second visit to Stella Makadi Resorts & Spa , we thank you especially for the lovely, praising words regarding our team members.

It gives us great pleasure to know that our services & facilities were up to your expectation.
We at the Stella Makadi always strive not only to meet guest’s expectations but to exceed to reach the premium level of services.

It will be our great pleasure to host you soon again for another fantastic time at our resort and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.